Sign in to follow this  
voltayr

Great Graphics But Dialog A Bit Overkill

Hey hey, Love the game, good guys, bad guys, monsters all good, graphics great... but I have my headphones cranked and honestly even my father being a navy seal didn't use the F word so much... but this character I've heard him say the F word about 100 times now and I've played for 45min... its like a damn al capone movie... twice maybe three times would be normal but his dialog is so non intelligent its ridiculous and kills it for me.  I need a mute the gangster button.

Sadly I know a lot of kids are rocking on this game and this is what they hear... give us the good guys, give us the bad guys to kill but the intelligence of the character drops through the floor and makes you feel at least me detached from the character itself...

the F word will be more defined if used sparingly don't over do it in every cut scene common!

I don't see this being an issue. So what if the character drops an F-Bomb a million times? It's the character. I know some people hate these words for some weird reason, and youre entitled to that opinion, and yes, I think like some games do have, a removing most swears option would be cool. But, it really is just the character(s), and I DOUBT Techland would change it. But yeah, I don't mind it, but swearing is used a lot in dialog. 

Well said voltayr. When something gets used so much that it is common place, it loses its effectiveness to accentuate the situation. If you only here him say something like that a few times then you know when he does use it, that the situation is becoming extreme.

When every other sentence uses this kind of "highlight", it ceases to become important.

Well said voltayr. When something gets used so much that it is common place, it loses its effectiveness to accentuate the situation. If you only here him say something like that a few times then you know when he does use it, that the situation is becoming extreme.

When every other sentence uses this kind of "highlight", it ceases to become important.

maybe its supposed to reflect the fact that this situation is extremely extreme at all times . i mean out all the chupacabra that could happen an go wrong this has got to be the worst. i know if this happened to me the majority of words id say would be swear words. what else is there thats left to say but "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.............ck"

tbh tho i never noticed how often swearing is used. probably cos i swear a lot anyway.

Edited by championpuffa

I need a mute the gangster button.

I lol'd :D

Agree, they should tone it down a bit. Reminds me of kids hitting puberty and acting all gangsta, throwing F-bombs like nobody's business.

There is no doubt that the entire situation would be extreme for the average person, but Crane is a GRE operative. Extreme situations should be more commonplace for him than it would be for me. Again I just think that overuse of something diminishes the value of it when it is used.

I didn't find it all that gratuitous. It's far from the best dialogue ever and crane as a character is wholly uninteresting, but there are far worse games out there in this regard.

With dying light I think the story on it's own isn't very good. But as a driver for the action and gameplay it works really well. It's workmanlike as they say. It does the job.

What makes it less than great for me isn't the swearing...it's really not that bad. Try GTA! It's things like the characters being cliché. Crane is like every other protag. Jade is basically Alyx Vance and oh chupacabra, there's Eli Vance as well. Rais's monologues (and motivations...chaos, blah bla) are trite and tiresome.

And then there's a lot of really good ideas floating around that aren't being capitalised on. I really like the Olympic city hook to explain the diversity of characters, but there's more that could be done with it, storywise. I also really like that the location is vague...it's Turkish or Middle Eastern, but not quite. There are some really nice touches with survivor stories.

So the ideas are definitely there, but I think the focus was to make a game that's first and foremost mechanically very solid and fun to play. It combines some of the better gameplay ideas of last gen into a complete experience. To be honest, I can do without 'great story' when a game just ticks all the boxes from a game play perspective like this.