Sign in to follow this  
Airsickhydra

Starting A New Game On Hard

Morning all

Had a gaming date with one of my Bros last night, a good 5-6 hours of a fresh save on the harder difficulty setting. If anyone is currently playing hard on your old / max level character then i'd really encourage you to start again and ditch your max level.

I'm not good at formulating sentences so here are some bullet points! - POW

• Quarantine zones are tough as nails. Volatiles are nearly unkillable and multiple virals are very dangerous. Hell even the occasional zombie was taking 10-20 head-smacks to kill. 
  • Without the grapple and free running skills the night time slows down to a real stealth game. Outrunning enemies isn't guaranteed anymore and engaging is far more stressful.
  • Less items to craft things, so starting with 0 items means you don't walk in with a clear advantage. 
  • Having the ability to heal your teammate to 100% but not yourself really makes for some better co-op / sticking together moments. 
  • Rais's men are just that little bit more dangerous and tougher, giving you real incentive to run like hell for airdrops.

In a nut shell hard mode plays like how the game should be for the competitive gamer. Don't go into it guns blazing with your airstrikes and max level angel sword as you miss out on so much of the survival vibe. 

Hopefully this message gets through to at least one person :D

Signed! I started a new game too and finally its really a challenge. Maybe im looking for some more features, but those are more for the survival aspect of the game, so its ok as it is right now for me.

Signed! I started a new game too and finally its really a challenge. Maybe im looking for some more features, but those are more for the survival aspect of the game, so its ok as it is right now for me.

Have you tried the underground carpark and the underground mountain quarantine zones? Holy cow the volatiles in the carpark were harsh. Me and my buddy had to stealth, firecracker and run like a couple of mo fo's to grab the packages.... And all those virals everywhere, eugh!

Edited by Airsickhydra

Im not so far, just started. Having already some trouble with the first mission for Rais (turning on transmitters). Im playing by my own rules (only one weapon equiped, and one in inventory, only one medkit, after death i throw everything to the ground and start from scratch), so its really hard for me .. im not thinking about quarntine zones .. not yet :)

Good luck with that ! - Finding it hard enough to find materials etc so don't think I could stomach throwing all my items away. It took me about 20 minutes just to make 3-4 Molotovs. Good luck with that first night mission :D might want a change of underwear nearby. 

Arrrrrhhhhhh!!! I can't wait for the patch to be released for me to download here in South Africa! This "Hard Mode" has me jumping in my seat... I long to be scared again!!!  And don't get me started on the BTZ mode!! Can't wait!!!

Edited by ValheruBones

am I the only one that can kill volitaes on hard mode on a brand new save with a grey weapon? and I literally just do what I always do at night I run around just the same as normal mode so far nothing's gotten me fresh save level 1 very first time you find them I was just running in circles around them lol ughhUGHHHHHHH EVERYRHING IS TOO EASY FOR ME 

am I the only one that can kill volitaes on hard mode on a brand new save with a grey weapon? and I literally just do what I always do at night I run around just the same as normal mode so far nothing's gotten me fresh save level 1 very first time you find them I was just running in circles around them lol ughhUGHHHHHHH EVERYRHING IS TOO EASY FOR ME 

Not too sure on this mate, I counted the hits it took to kill one with a 70 damage weapon. It was Somewhere over 50-75 hits. Two hits from them kills me outright from 100hp.

+ Have you not noticed their spit animation now? - They are launching acid at me which kills me in probably 4-5 hits. 

Edited by Airsickhydra

Hard mode on a new save does make this a much better game IMHO. Night time in the early stages is a total "chupacabra yourself" experience. :)

In the regular game I did not care much about the skill points. I would just go through the game and occasionally check in to assign them for the perks. No big deal. Now as soon as I get one I look to upgrade immediately just to try to get a little edge. This helps the gameplay profoundly.

One thing I do wish was added was if the Volatiles had some kind of very low visibility glow to them. Similar to the Bolters. Just so if you are trying to go stealth at night that you see them if you look for them and have a clear line of site. It is great that they are not on the mini map but it would be nice to be able to visually distinguish them as long as you can see them. Not a big glow and not something that is easy to see, just something that will let you see them if you look for them. 

One thing I've noticed is that in-game time progresses faster. No longer do the days seem to be 64 real minutes, it seems much much less now. And nights seem longer on hard mode. However gotta say I'm loving playing a new game on hard mode, much more challenging.

Night time has doubled so its 14 minutes now which is quite a long time to be outside in the dark. Day time I think is 30-45 minutes but not certain. This means on the average mission though you probably see one night cycle which is a really nice touch. Not sure if it's what the Devs intended but as soon as i'm finishing or near the end of a mission it starts getting dark, the question then is to run back and get the rewards? Or go to sleep?

Not very impressed with the Hard Mode. Hoped that in this mode, night chase will be more atmospheric and dynamic, but in fact everything is the same as it was. Should run around the cornerVolatiles lost sight of you. They focus almost don't see the hero, in General, to escape from them is not difficult. Night time is the time at which it is DANGEROUS to go outside, and then you can get out of the asylum as a walk. :(

Edited by moorenz

Not very impressed with the Hard Mode. Hoped that in this mode, night chase will be more atmospheric and dynamic, but in fact everything is the same as it was. Should run around the cornerVolatiles lost sight of you. They focus almost don't see the hero, in General, to escape from them is not difficult. Night time is the time at which it is DANGEROUS to go outside, and then you can get out of the asylum as a walk. :(

Once you progress in the game you will see more virals at night and they make a big difference as they don't stop chasing if you break line of sight. Old town seems more challenging at night in particular. Also are you on a max level character? 

It might not be as hard as you would like but i'm surprised you find it the same. Whilst running from Volatiles i've ran straight into another several times. Whilst being chased you take occasional damage from them spitting acid at you and maybe it's just me but I also seem to run out of stamina at the worst possible times.

Once you progress in the game you will see more virals at night and they make a big difference as they don't stop chasing if you break line of sight. Old town seems more challenging at night in particular. Also are you on a max level character? 

It might not be as hard as you would like but i'm surprised you find it the same. Whilst running from Volatiles i've ran straight into another several times. Whilst being chased you take occasional damage from them spitting acid at you and maybe it's just me but I also seem to run out of stamina at the worst possible times.

I started the game again, while running in slums, 10 survival rates, problems with night chases do not feel easily detached from the chase. Even more, I stop and volatiles, when I will catch up again to continue to run. Is this normal? No

Edited by moorenz

@ moorenz, Just to let you know that it is hard to understand what you are asking. I see that you are in Russia and I am not saying this to be a bozo, I am just trying to let you know so you can try to rephrase the question so someone may be able to help you.

From what I take you are Survival Level 10. When you try to run at night you cannot easily escape from the Volatiles. You sometimes try to stop (and hide I presume) but they still find you and then you must run again. Is this correct?

If this is correct then this is normal. You will see red diamonds on the side of the mini map and that lets you know that Volatiles are aware of you and are looking for you. These diamonds will change to gray when the Volatiles think you may have gotten away and they lost site of you, but they are still looking. Then when they disappear completely the Volatiles believe you escaped and will go back to their regular routine.

I do not know if this answers your question but if it does not please try to rephrase it and you may get some better replies. Good luck.

@ moorenz, Just to let you know that it is hard to understand what you are asking. I see that you are in Russia and I am not saying this to be a bozo, I am just trying to let you know so you can try to rephrase the question so someone may be able to help you.

From what I take you are Survival Level 10. When you try to run at night you cannot easily escape from the Volatiles. You sometimes try to stop (and hide I presume) but they still find you and then you must run again. Is this correct?

If this is correct then this is normal. You will see red diamonds on the side of the mini map and that lets you know that Volatiles are aware of you and are looking for you. These diamonds will change to gray when the Volatiles think you may have gotten away and they lost site of you, but they are still looking. Then when they disappear completely the Volatiles believe you escaped and will go back to their regular routine.

I do not know if this answers your question but if it does not please try to rephrase it and you may get some better replies. Good luck.

You don't understand. I am saying that to escape from the chase at night very easily, too easily. There is no atmosphere. 

P.S Yes, I'm from Russia, have some problems with English

Edited by moorenz

Ahh that is better and much more understandable. Again I would never criticize someone that does not write English well when you consider that it may be their 2nd or 3rd or even 4th language. I can only communicate in one language so even if your English is not the best, it is far better than my second language. :)

At Survival Level 10 you still have a little ways to go. I am at survival level 9 on my new Hard Mode toon and I can travel at night alright. I do not see a great difference from normal mode at this lower survival level. Hard mode does remove the Volatiles from the mini map so that is much harder, and I think there may be a few more of them, but if you have good Parkour skills you can get away.

Now if you look at what Airsick says then you will see that Virals will be added at some level in the night. I am sure this will make a world of difference in the difficulty. Once you have to fight or run blindly you can start to get swarmed and then the game goes to the black screen and you lose survival points. Virals are a great and needed type of enemy in this game and they can be relentless in their pursuit. They do not have to have a line of vision to know where you are. Good luck!

All I can say is Virals will change everything, Volatiles also seem to get more aggressive at higher level. I was using grapple hook and some of them were keeping up with me. Certainly not standing and waiting for them. 

My advice, progress the story and then go back and do the side quests.