cr1m3

Spam Invasion

A couple of things can be done to combat the spam. I was a mod on an old company specific forum and a "captha" (sic) system was put in place so a human would have to create the account. Then they had a number of mods from around the world monitor the forum with 24 hour coverage. They duked us a free device for this planning and time. We took shifts to give the coverage. Then the second an account was created and spam posted, the account was deleted.

After less than a week of this we did not have spam issues again, and we relaxed the mod coverage without issue. What happened I do not know. My guess is the spammers just decided it was not worth it anymore and moved on. Perhaps something like this could work here too.

Also as others have mentioned what you do see getting through is usually a small % of the attacks. I know it is frustrating but there is usually a whole lot going on behinds the scenes.

Edited by Kodiak412

A couple of things can be done to combat the spam. I was a mod on an old company specific forum and a "captha" (sic) system was put in place so a human would have to create the account. Then they had a number of mods from around the world monitor the forum with 24 hour coverage. They duked us a free device for this planning and time. We took shifts to give the coverage. Then the second an account was created and spam posted, the account was deleted.

After less than a week of this we did not have spam issues again, and we relaxed the mod coverage without issue. What happened I do not know. My guess is the spammers just decided it was not worth it anymore and moved on. Perhaps something like this could work here too.

Also as others have mentioned what you do see getting through is usually a small % of the attacks. I know it is frustrating but there is usually a whole lot going on behinds the scenes.

i agree

techland needs to get a few more mods to help with spam (even if it was just volunteers)

Yep this forums are much less active than they were before all this spam. Its ultra mega annoying, im sure they are missing a lot of visits, user generated posts with discussions etc thanks to that. In other words, game may be great, but this is damaging its community. Expected them to have solved this already but no....

Can a Techland mod implement a CAPTCHA("Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart") system in this forum to stop this spamming once and for all?

This way Techland won't even need to moderate this forum so often.

Win win.

I agree, some sort of device that involves human interaction with applying to these sites. But really half of these spam bots are real and alive. So I wouldn't know how to combat someone trying to gain 60 seconds of fame by advertising their chupacabra.

You talk about volunteers. I come to this site, (and The Division's) EVERYDAY, and report all spam I see. They should set up a page to give volunteers mod spam deletion power. The spam bot ( or in extremely rare circumstances a real person), should be sent a email with a report with offensive/advertising posts that got them banned. Then if it was a legitimate mistake the person could email back and forth with a Full Mod to have an investigation to see it was legit. But in most cases it is just a spam bot or spam person with no defense so they would be banned around the clock. FYI, they just implemented a time out for posting new posts. You have to wait a few minutes before you can post a new post after another.

Edited by FireNative