Matthew

Hud Options Need To Be Present For Users.

Inexcusable for the user to be denied the freedom to customize/remove the HUD in Dying Light on the PlayStation 4, or any video game for 

that matter.

Remarkable that one has to remind a development team about such a basic issue.

Fix this issue permanently, by allowing users the freedom to manipulate the HUD as they so wish, on any game, any platform, period.

Thanks.

100% agree Conker.  

Mind-boggling to think that so many adult-aged, seemingly intelligent development team members fail ( clearly by evidence of no HUD  options within many video games)

to grasp our view on this topic.

They "hand-cuff" their customers to their own ridiculous stubbornness in refusing to allow users an opportunity to customize/remove in-game HUD elements.

Although subjective, I personally find most HUD´s  kiddy-looking, junky,  and cluttery.  

EA´s Dead Space understood this immediately in their game development.

Eliminating needless clutter from the screen instantly injects a higher level of slickness, polish, maturity, and immersion to just about any video game.

Health Bars, Stamina Bars, Graphical Weapon Icons, Bullet-Count Reminders, Magic-Potion Levels, Numbers ( points ) Per-Hit Displays, Level-Rank Displays, Kiddy-Colored Circles Beneath Game Character Displays, "Hold X To Stay In Cover"  prompts that remain until user leaves cover.  

Seriously?

Welcome to Junk-ville folks.  Welcome to Kiddy-Land.  It´s pathetic. Total Garbage.  

Wisen-up devs.

Edited by Matthew

The worst HUD element is the display of button contoller................

Push [X] to reload ! >>>>>>>>>>>>> Seriously !???? All the game ???

At level 25 all the dead zombies at the ground have two BIG BUTTON when yoo look them, its totaly chupacabra, stupid, its DUMB.

Its not a game for adult, its for kiddy.

Remove this stupid HUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst HUD element is the display of button contoller................

Push [X] to reload ! >>>>>>>>>>>>> Seriously !???? All the game ???

At level 25 all the dead zombies at the ground have two BIG BUTTON when yoo look them, its totaly chupacabra, stupid, its DUMB.

Its not a game for adult, its for kiddy.

Remove this stupid HUD !!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMOVE THIS STUPID HUD REMOVE THIS STUPID HUD REMOVE THIS STUPID HUD 

PLEASE ADD OPTIONS FOR REMOVABLE HUD/ON SCREEN TEXT FOR CONSOLES PLEASE.

Just some hypothetical questions for you guys. If we remove the hud...

• How will we know how much HP we have? - Allowing us to plan for fights etc and estimating if fall damage will kill us. 
  • How will we locate waypoints? The game is based on traveling quite long distances. 
  • How will players know to press X for example next to a child zombie? 
  • Would we need to press start every time we want to know how many of an item we have?
  • How do you know if you have a repair left on your current weapon or not?

I also want more freedom to customise and make things immersive, but removing the entire hud in a first person game? - I can't think of one game i've played on console which has done that. It's being discussed here as if it's a game-breaking issue that the devs "obviously" should have foreseen, forgive me if i'm wrong but having a hud is standard in 99.9% of games. 

Wouldn't it be better to request a more minimalistic hud? - One that doesn't invade the screen as much. Perhaps some more visual tweaks to compensate and free up space?

I'd like to see the change too but just flat out removing the hud seems pretty drastic in a game where there is a lot of information to keep track of. 

No. Not remove entirely but give the player the option to remove the hud entirely. This shouldn't be too hard but then again what do I know about programming video games. I do think that with photo mode having an option to clear the screen is a no brainer. I liked fc4 hud options....should emulate that model.

• How will we know how much HP we have? - Allowing us to plan for fights etc and estimating if fall damage will kill us. 
  • How will we locate waypoints? The game is based on traveling quite long distances. 
  • Would we need to press start every time we want to know how many of an item we have?

I also want more freedom to customise and make things immersive, but removing the entire hud in a first person game? - I can't think of one game i've played on console which has done that. It's being discussed here as if it's a game-breaking issue that the devs "obviously" should have foreseen, forgive me if i'm wrong but having a hud is standard in 99.9% of games. 

Wouldn't it be better to request a more minimalistic hud? - One that doesn't invade the screen as much. Perhaps some more visual tweaks to compensate and free up space?

I'd like to see the change too but just flat out removing the hud seems pretty drastic in a game where there is a lot of information to keep track of. 

We want hud options.options for this,options for that.I'm no pro gamer but i think i'd much prefer to play with a very minimal hud layout.Lack of options in this regard ARE game breaking imho,Basically,the problem with DL is that the hud/on screen text layout is terrible -not that it has a hud.Its over the top.Whats point of an open world game with constant on screen text telling you where to go and what to do next? i've hardly played DL yet so i can't really address your specific issues,but from twenty minutes with it i can say lots of the hud is unnecessary,irritating and easily patchable.And a no hud mode was promised by techland originally.FC4 and Metro redux got it right,(no hud) other games have a good hud layout in the first place,so its not that much of an issue(pretty much every other fps on ps4)

Edited by Special_donkey

We want hud options.options for this,options for that.I'm no pro gamer but i think i'd much prefer to play with a very minimal hud layout.Lack of options in this regard ARE game breaking imho,Basically,the problem with DL is that the hud/on screen text layout is terrible -not that it has a hud.Its over the top.Whats point of an open world game with constant on screen text telling you where to go and what to do next? i've hardly played DL yet so i can't really address your specific issues,but from twenty minutes with it i can say lots of the hud is unnecessary,irritating and easily patchable.And a no hud mode was promised by techland originally.FC4 and Metro redux got it right,(no hud) other games have a good hud layout in the first place,so its not that much of an issue(pretty much every other fps on ps4)

Sounds like what you are asking for though is an improved HUD which is completely feasible and possible. No hud options are fine, but making content for 10% of users is never going to be a top priority whereas probably 60% of us would appreciate a cleaner or more intuitive hud. Just seems a more logical step to clean it up first rather than just go full out no hud

Sounds like what you are asking for though is an improved HUD which is completely feasible and possible. No hud options are fine, but making content for 10% of users is never going to be a top priority whereas probably 60% of us would appreciate a cleaner or more intuitive hud. Just seems a more logical step to clean it up first rather than just go full out no hud

Yeah,i get that -speaking personally,i'd be more than happy with an improved hud layout -although the constant quest objective text (would you call that a hud element?) bothers me more than the rest of the hud stuff put together.So thats the main thing i'd like fixed really,it should be on the pause menu instead imo.I think Techland patching in a comprehensive as possible list of options for removal of hud elements would be very much appreciated by a great many players -and not very time consuming to do as far as i understand.Alternatively,just adding hud opacity control (like driveclub) would be surely be a piece of cake? Well,we'll see i suppose(or not) All 15 comments i've left on this site are about this issue btw,some after to much coffee...

Edited by Special_donkey

I'd personally prefer the ability to to remove the level bar, the mini map and the on-screen prompts.

I'd like those options for sure as well,its not asking the earth is it? Like i said modders fixed all this stuff for p.c by practically snapping their fingers.i don't get what the problem is,i've read many different people on different sites requesting hud options -and it'd of fitted in nicely with the new hard mode.To me it just doesn't make any sense.DL would probably be my GOTY without the horrible hud/on screen text stuff - and yet its just a £70 waste of space on my hdd right now,and its put a downer on gaming for me generally :( TECHLAND SAID THAT THERE WOULD BE AN OPTIONAL HUD MODE. http://www.ps3attitude.com/new/2013/06/e3-13-dying-lights-optional-hud-aims-create-immersive-experience/ I Pre-orderd the premium version under a false pretense.DL is awesome,But said issues completely ruin it for me to the point of i might just delete it soon to stop it bumming me out every time i turn on my console -hardly having played it.

Volatile and Airsickhydra

---  Here are my answers and remember.. It could be an option to toggle off the HUD, not something everyone is forced into doing.. Go to the game options, and select - HUD ON/OFF - Keep that in mind as I answer the questions.

• ANSWER - that's the point, we don't want to know.. BUT Rapid heartbeat is a indication of too much damage. 
  • ANSWER - Survivor Sense shows waypoints. Also I pretty much know the maps by heart. Survivor Sense is still there if needed.
  • ANSWER - Because we have done it a thousands times before. Remember new people could still play with the HUD on..
  • ANSWER - I can look in the inventory, If its an equipped equipment item, I open the round equipment selection wheel and can see the number. 
  • ANSWER - A message tells you that you need to repair. We are talking about HUD icons, not prompts.. Besides that I can tell when my weapon is not working as it should. Also we have the weapon selection wheel that can tell us how far gone a weapon is.

For awhile I played with a no HUD mod and this is how I know these answers. It sure made the game a lot more enjoyable. I am sick of hand holding. I am tired of the wallhacks. Its one of the things I hate about games like Far Cry3-4..

Edited by SoloCreep

I play without HUD most of the time. Those are aids for the more casual gamer and break immersion. If you want to really roleplay that you are in a zombie apocalypse you don't need all those aids

Volatile and Airsickhydra

---  Here are my answers and remember.. It could be an option to toggle off the HUD, not something everyone is forced into doing.. Go to the game options, and select - HUD ON/OFF - Keep that in mind as I answer the questions.

• ANSWER - that's the point, we don't want to know.. BUT Rapid heartbeat is a indication of too much damage. 
  • ANSWER - Survivor Sense shows waypoints. Also I pretty much know the maps by heart. Survivor Sense is still there if needed.
  • ANSWER - Because we have done it a thousands times before. Remember new people could still play with the HUD on..
  • ANSWER - I can look in the inventory, If its an equipped equipment item, I open the round equipment selection wheel and can see the number. 
  • ANSWER - A message tells you that you need to repair. We are talking about HUD icons, not prompts.. Besides that I can tell when my weapon is not working as it should. Also we have the weapon selection wheel that can tell us how far gone a weapon is.

For awhile I played with a no HUD mod and this is how I know these answers. It sure made the game a lot more enjoyable. I am sick of hand holding. I am tired of the wallhacks. Its one of the things I hate about games like Far Cry3-4..

I find your responses acceptable. You may proceed. What do you think of player healthbars on co op mode? Should they still be visible? - Might be a nice way of finding out if you are 50% or 75% by asking your buddy. 

its really funny to see so many ppl who didnt play with this handholding thingy. iam one of those players too... would be nice when techland add this settings into the options.

this is how intense it could look like without hud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwxbW65tPC4

Edited by sentinel_deco

With HP, I guess they could add a sound of some kind. Or it a HP bar will show when you have less then 30-50%

You have a map, use it. For immersion purposes, you would have a map you had to check. Thats how you locate. Someone will probably not play without HUD that havent played it for a while. When you have completed everything and just freeroam, it would be nice to check map when you actually wanted to go to a specific place.

Maybe if you hold the, ehm,  the "arrow" buttons, then it would pop up. Let's say you have firecrackers, some explosives, a tonic and the hook. Without holding the arrow-button down, it's not showing, holding it down and it will pop up, showing you the amount and such.

That you do not, but when it is broken you will get a message saying so. Add an option to remove that message to, so players that want to may judge by the damage they do and how the weapon looks. But just as an option.

But still - Removable HUD and stuff should be optional. But if they are going to make all optional (map, hp bar, weapon icon etc) then for HP they need to do something as I said above. The rest is just idéas I put into, or arguments to your questions. Ideas I can do without, except (once again) HP Bar flashing 30-50%.

Oh man,that video..Correct me if i'm wrong but a comprehensive list of options for removable,separate hud elements is what everyone wants right? fair enough debating the finer points of this or that, but its a customizable hud that is the fix-all real solution here.

Edited by Special_donkey

But without a hud its totally stupid....you cant see where you must go when you play a mission or side quest...

No.A CUSTOMAZABLE HUD.Options for - No hud if you like,or a full hud,or a bit of hud.Maybe hud elements size or postion customization.Do you seriously need a constant xp bar and constant on screen text saying what your current quest is? Well if you do,that would'nt be a problem with the inclusion hud options anyway.