Sign in to follow this  
Jed Parry

Dying Light Is Great And This Is What I Have To Say

Well, hi everyone, I'm JP and I'd like to share my thought here, in the hope that some of DL developers actually see and read this message.) 

I don't post often on forums and I had a lot of doubts about posting this, but I guess this is the time when you enjoy the game so much that you crave to thank the developers personally, to share your gratitude and let them know how much fun their game brought to me.

Dying Light is not the first game from Techland that I've enjoyed. But this is game that made me actually say to myself "Hey, this is almost ideal game!" And I must add that being an active gamer, I haven't said that in a long time. You know, this weird feeling like this game was made specifically for me? This is this case of Dying Light.

The thing that made me really angry at first was that a lot of people blamed Dying Light's plot for being clichéd and it's characters for being "cardboard". And nobody actually tried to understand why developers decided to use clichés rather than try something particularly new (I'm sure that the the writers at Techland are perfectly capable of creating absolutely fantastic and fresh plots). It's obvious that they did that because of the publishers influence. I mean, hey, creating AAA title is hell of responsibility, this type of games takes a lot of effort and money to produce, so they just couldn't take the risk. Sometimes it's not even a choice. It's pretty understandable for me.

On the other hand even that "clichés" (I don't agree with that opinion at all, btw) are made into a very deep and thoughtful world with perfect dynamics and believable settings and if you have at least a tiny bit of imagination, the characters that some call "cardboard" starts feeling really expressive and real like it happened to me. Man, Brecken always made me want to hug him in an attempt to console the guy, both by myself and by Crane.) And also it's very sad that Jade's character didn't get the understanding from people that the writer put into her chacacter... Why people so stubbornly keep on seeing only the "clichés" and so rarely try to look deeper?

Anyways, I might say for sure that I've enjoyed the set of characters Daying Light presents. For most part because they are not that egoistical pseudo-dramatic hysterical people who don't listen to anyone and consider their personal drama the most important one among other people's loses. Sure, DL characters are quite emotional when time comes, but in a good way. It never made me roll my eyes or facepalm, because their reactions always felt natural for me and because Crane's words was almost always the words that I'd say in the same situations. 

What's also important for me is that the developers didn't add any unnecessary, vulgar and explicit $ex scenes here. Well, I should explain this: it looks like a tendency now, to add this kind of scenes in recent games for ex. Far Cry 3, or Metro: Last Light, or new Wolfenstern. And this is what truly disgust me, this is what made me refuse to play this games, this tiny, but really repulsive thing that made the game experience feels like virtual rape, because, clearly, I don't want to see this and don't want the playable character that I control to have an encounter with the woman I actually hate. So, dear developers of Techland, I say thank you for not adding to your brilliant game any of this terrible and vulgar stuff! You give a great example of an adult game without this terrible and unskippable intercourse scenes. Please take a word of advice of a hardcore gamer here: if you ever consider adding scenes of intimacy in your future games, please make them optional, like the situation where the character can refuse woman's offer of her body and let there be an option where the hero can say something like: "I'm sorry, but I don't want to sleep with ya, bye."

Now I have something to say of a more controversial topic and I say this because I have a trust in Techland, I believe that these are the people who can actually listen. So I don't want it to sounds like a trolling here and also I'm not a crazy supporter of anyone's right - nothing like this. But you see, adding homosexual characters to the games can be a really interesting thing. I'm not suggesting these flamboyant, half-comical men who think only about anal intercourses and wear pink thongs. I'm speaking about the kind of men that The Walking Dead comics offer, these Aaron and Eric type who actually behave adequately and seriously kick a$$. They are homosexual, but look how capable and likable they are! The thing that they love one another doesn't change actually anything for the plot itself, just add a nice spice and the originality to the story, and this is what I'm talking about when suggesting adding this kind of characters. Make them sincerely love one another like Camus in "Plague" says about human love, add this acute bromance and this would definitely touch the hearts!) And nobody would even try to open their mouths to mention anything about cardboard.

Alrighty then, this was my little "please don't do" and "please do" things. ^___^

Once again, for devs - thanks so much for your game! You did a really great job and I must say the experience of playing DL was truly incredible! I wish you all he luck with your future project (and I really really hope there will be many!) and hope that you'd consider the things I've said here. Because using anchored story patterns is safe, but risking may bring even better benefits. Just consider, ok?

Best regards, JP.