Sign in to follow this  
Radikal

Where Is The Proof That You Support Modders Techland?

So I've had no luck with the folders in the user profile. If I try my mod in /DyingLight/data or /DyingLight/data/out it still doesn't seem to load it.

However I have tried the method mentioned here, about repacking the mod into the data3.pak file and this seems to work.

I am, of course, not talking about using the manger app that's been so popular. I'm not sure if that uses the same method and would overwrite the data3.pak that I've created.

Any input guys?

if it does that (I don't know) it will most certainly overwrite your current data3.pak, or at least add files to it that have changed or were missing before being added.

I just tested this, without using the manager tool.

1) extracted the file "texts_temp.scr" from data0.pak

2) moved it to out\data\temp_text.scr 

3) modified "texts_temp.scr" by adding a custom string to it.

4) started the game, was greeted by modified data message in main menu

5) closed the game, checked the data3.pak in the dying light folder

6) found my modified "texts_temp.scr" file in the data3.pak

all this without using the manager tool

Edited by KNG

if it does that (I don't know) it will most certainly overwrite your current data3.pak, or at least add files to it that have changed or were missing before being added.

I'm trying to find a way to include my mod in the game, and work alongside the manager, because so many people will use it. This means my mod's files need to work with it or not be overwritten. I'm considering trying data1.pak but that includes a map file already.

I honestly can't see why they stopped the user profile method from working...

I just tried your method KNG, doing the exact same thing with the same file, no message, no differences.  My Data3.pak file's timestamp is still 1/31/2015 so it definitely hasn't changed at all with all the different methods I've tried today.  Oh well.

I just tried your method KNG, doing the exact same thing with the same file, no message, no differences.  My Data3.pak file's timestamp is still 1/31/2015 so it definitely hasn't changed at all with all the different methods I've tried today.  Oh well.

Same here, however I tried this using the manager, and it does place files in data3.pak. I also run this without manager, and it seems that it has placed files in the out folder which allow the files to still be copied.

After removing /out/ completely, the mod no longer works in either of the two directories.

The short story: the manager overwrites data3.pak and placing files in /out/ without the manager doesn't seem to work. So we may need to have two versions; one for manager users, one for non-users.

The short story: the manager overwrites data3.pak and placing files in /out/ without the manager doesn't seem to work. So we may need to have two versions; one for manager users, one for non-users.

Can you throw a zip of your out folder up somewhere?  I'd love to see what the config or script is in there that enables that behavior.  I figured it had something to do with using the DLM at least once.

Can you throw a zip of your out folder up somewhere?  I'd love to see what the config or script is in there that enables that behavior.  I figured it had something to do with using the DLM at least once.

I'm looking into that myself :P

Give me a few mins and I'll stick something on NexusMods

The only thing I've found is that there is now a DyingLight.cfg file in my profile /out/ directory:

[settings]

Gamepath=E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dying Light\DyingLightGame.exe

HQ Sun Shadows=1

No Intro=1

Disable DoF=1

Enable Aberration=4

[Mods]

Watch_Key=4

The contents of the data3.pak seem to be the contents of the /out/data folder at runtime. I'm not entirely sure what else DLM does without ripping it apart.

And Radikal, you're dead right.. and I don't use it myself. The only problem is that loads of people will have this and dropping our mods into a data3.pak is going to get steamrolled.

My last release had to have two install methods, depending on if you're using DLM.

Yeah this is just bullshit. Now that i have tweak the files to remove graphical effects Chromatic Aberration and filmgrain. I'm now blocked :( from playing with random people unless they tweaked their files as well.

My friends need to have those files modified in their systems in order to play coop together :(

This is not a issue if one always plays with friends but i fear the worse if people wanted to play with random people with mods installed.

I know developers are trying to prevent cheaters from tweaking the game values such as items and weapons damage, player and night hunter speed etc.

To be honest, i dont think it will work out that well sadly :( Eventually cheaters will find a way to cheat in the PVP mode again.

In the end this will only hurt modders that desire on creating their own custom difficulty modes

After couple test, I assume the current state of moded file are broken as sh*t. If you DO clean uninstall (delete data and verify cache) and trying to apply the mod, most likely you are unable to use it because....you need DL manager in order to reenable the mod once again.

WTH WRONG WITH YOU DEV!!!! you said the game is NOW MODABLE!! why we still need to download 3rd party program to make it work (if you use the old method).

After couple test, I assume the current state of moded file are broken as sh*t. If you DO clean uninstall (delete data and verify cache) and trying to apply the mod, most likely you are unable to use it because....you need DL manager in order to reenable the mod once again.

WTH WRONG WITH YOU DEV!!!! you said the game is NOW MODABLE!! why we still need to download 3rd party program to make it work (if you use the old method).

You can actually put all your mod files in the data3.pak in the game dir. That's all that DLM does.

You can actually put all your mod files in the data3.pak in the game dir. That's all that DLM does.

yeap, saw it in your nexus mod description, thank you btw. Still trying to make it user-friendly  (people who don't want x data can just delete it), but if there is no other way then i might have to use your method

Edited by Radikal

You are making a big fuss out of nothing. Developers had to come up with a way to separate the modded ones from vanilla ones. In the given short time, this is the result. In time they'll find a better formula, otherwise the mod tools that they will be releasing will be useless.

You are making a big fuss out of nothing. Developers had to come up with a way to separate the modded ones from vanilla ones. In the given short time, this is the result. In time they'll find a better formula, otherwise the mod tools that they will be releasing will be useless.

If you play outside the NA/EU region, you will find this "big fuss out of nothing" into a major problem easily because it is already that difficult to find people to play together in here (region lock ftw). Then come the mod barrier with it's "restriction", making it impossible to connect unless you use the EXACT SAME DATA as your friend does. Adding cream on the top, current patch make applying mod much-much harder because the old method sometimes doesn't work (need to inject it directly on Dying Light steam folder).

Now, does techland currently do anything about this? nope, they did NOTHING AT ALL!! no reply, no tutorial on how to apply mod, no explanation whatsoever. We still need to solve the problem by ourself, i think this how they meant for "the game are now mod-able".

Edited by Radikal