Prodigerl

Skill Tree Strategy - Leveling

Which skills are most important to choose early in the game?  Which do you use the most when you play?

And how do you know if a mission/ side mission is too advanced for your skill level (without having to die repeatedly to find out)?  Do side missions coincide with your current skill levels?

Which skills are most important to choose early in the game?  Which do you use the most when you play?

And how do you know if a mission/ side mission is too advanced for your skill level (without having to die repeatedly to find out)?  Do side missions coincide with your current skill levels?

This is purely my opinion and might not be shared by everyone but it's what I think it the best 'early' build. This is a bare minimum build, as well, which means that these skills I've chosen are the ones that I think are absolutely essential. By the time you're maxed out you'll have enough points for everything but these are the ones I'd recommend first.

SURVIVAL TREE

• Starter Kit - open at lvl 2
  • Backpacker - open at lvl 3
  • Crafting Expertise - open at lvl 5
  • Master Backpacker - open at lvl 6
  • Lucky Repair - open at lvl 7
  • Electric Fences - open at lvl 7
  • Exploding Cars - open at lvl 10
  • Grappling Hook - open at lvl 12

AGILITY TREE

• Dodge - open at lvl 2
  • Slide - open at lvl 3
  • Drop Kick - open at lvl 4
  • Vault - open at lvl 4
  • Heath Regen - open at lvl 5 (get only after opening Free Runner)
  • Free Runner - open at lvl 5
  • Light Drop - open at lvl 6
  • Escape - open at lvl 6
  • Instant Escape - open at lvl 9
  • Freerun Expert - open at lvl 12
  • Health Regen - open at lvl 13

POWER TREE

• Stun - open at lvl 2
  • Sturdiness - open at lvl 4
  • Combat Adept - open at lvl 5
  • Conserve weapons - open at lvl 6
  • Sturdiness II - open at lvl 7
  • Focus - open at lvl 8
  • Combat Expert - open at lvl 12
  • Sturdiness III - open at lvl 13

As for side missions: you can do them at any skill level as long as you've progressed enough in the story to unlock them but pretty much by that point you'll already have leveled up enough to get some of the essential skills that will allow you to survive more readily during them. But, to be perfectly honest, I think it's subjective. If you're having a tough time taking on a small crowd of zombies outside of side missions then it might be a good idea to try leveling your skills before engaging a side mission just to give yourself a buffer. However, as they say, where there is a will there is a way! So even if you're not fully decked out in your skills tress or you're still a really low level, you can do these missions. All you need is to exercise caution, use the environment to your advantage, and adjust your stealth skills which are surprisingly useful in the game.

Edited by Church

Hmm, can't upvote that ^ I guess I did too many for the day.  Thanks for the detail. 

Yesterday I just hit level 5  in Agility & took the added agility skills - it was btwn that & health regen or dropkick.  I just worry about night running & giving that a boost but maybe I'll go for dropkick over health regen next.

About dropkick, is that only for the slow biters?  Or can that be used on other types?  I can't imagine drop kicking that huge concrete sledge zombie.

I'm clueless on power skills so this will help alot.  thanks for the help.

Hmm, can't upvote that ^ I guess I did too many for the day.  Thanks for the detail. 

Yesterday I just hit level 5  in Agility & took the added agility skills - it was btwn that & health regen or dropkick.  I just worry about night running & giving that a boost but maybe I'll go for dropkick over health regen next.

About dropkick, is that only for the slow biters?  Or can that be used on other types?  I can't imagine drop kicking that huge concrete sledge zombie.

I'm clueless on power skills so this will help alot.  thanks for the help.

Dropkick works on all types of zombies including Volatiles and Goons but haven't successfully dropkicked a Demolisher. Now, I say that but note that I haven't tested that at low levels (like immediately after it was unlocked and bought). I'll start a brand new game and test it out to give you a 100% accurate statement one way or the other. But, as it stands where I am now, I dropkick all the zombies outside of the Demolisher. (Also, I didn't try to dropkick a Demolisher repeatedly to see if it's actually possible because no thank you. xD)

Night running, just make sure you have a few flares and maybe some firecrackers (while you're a low level) for distraction, plus once you unlock those traps it'll get easier to traverse the city. I'll be perfectly honest though, dropkick will be a huge time waster at night and can get you killed because it takes precious seconds to fully recover and get to running again and that can and will cost you health if not your life (at lower levels). Sliding and Vaulting are going to help you the most at night before your Free Running gets opened up in Agility, then grab Escape at lvl6 and Instant Escape at lvl9 and you're going to be able to get out of sticky situations at night if you take a wrong turn into a pack of zombies. Generally, though, sticking to the high ground and throwing a flare strategically to keep the Virals and Volatiles occupied is going to help you a lot more in surviving while running at night than anything else.

Great info.  I just started up the console to play.

That was one reason why I didn't bother with dropkick this early, I figured that it wouldn't do me much good with any zombies other than the slow biters - glad I was wrong.

Dropkick works on all types of zombies including Volatiles and Goons but haven't successfully dropkicked a Demolisher. Now, I say that but note that I haven't tested that at low levels (like immediately after it was unlocked and bought). I'll start a brand new game and test it out to give you a 100% accurate statement one way or the other. But, as it stands where I am now, I dropkick all the zombies outside of the Demolisher. (Also, I didn't try to dropkick a Demolisher repeatedly to see if it's actually possible because no thank you. xD)

Started a brand spanking new game to test this out and found that I can dropkick every single zombie (excluding the Demolisher because that's pretty far into the game and I'll need more than the lvl3 skills by then), including the Goon! :D

Started a brand spanking new game to test this out and found that I can dropkick every single zombie (excluding the Demolisher because that's pretty far into the game and I'll need more than the lvl3 skills by then), including the Goon! :D

LoL - I'd crown you gamer King if you could kill that  at level 3...  I'm unfortunately having to skip the Sturdiness skill in the Power Tree to go with Throwing melee weapons so I can hurry up & use the kurczak glitch to pack away some EXPcaliburs & use them in  my early missions & sidequests, but I'll pick Sturdiness next, it shouldn't take too much longer to level that up & get it.  Then maybe I should go for the instant release.

Thanks for checking that out, it's good info to know.

I regret not taking Grapple early as possible.

Once I unlocked grapple I just stood by some spiked walls and kept throwing zombies into them. It's so effective cuz they so silly.

I keep looking at that one, I thought it was only good for rooftops since it showed a rooftop push - I have 2 skills I can take right now so I'll  consider that one.  I like the dropkick but you're vulnerable right after it.  I dunno. thanks

I keep looking at that one, I thought it was only good for rooftops since it showed a rooftop push - I have 2 skills I can take right now so I'll  consider that one.  I like the dropkick but you're vulnerable right after it.  I dunno. thanks

If you stare up at the sky at night dreaming of becoming batman or spiderman then get the hook. 

Not being funny... But I'd be careful not to unlock skills like,

- health regen

- sturdiness

Even the counter to the Biters grab ESCAPE and INSTANT ESCAPE - I've left them and not upgraded. Because it doesn't take too long before frankly, unless your absolutely rubbish, or you're playing carelessly, the game becomes dangerously close to being way too easy.

I'm playing NG+ and have been looking at the 'ESCAPE' skills. Although cool, I just can't upgrade them at present. It would simply eliminate biters being a threat at all... Making the daylight hours a cake walk...

Personally I can't wait for Hard Mode.

Edited by Lamoi