tvdaXD

Hardcore Mode, Everybody Wants It! Post Your Idea's For It Here!

Dying Light's twitter just announced Hard Mode & New Skins coming for free, "You asked for it. We will deliver" (https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/565561733029584897)

It probably doesn't contain all of the features from down below, I guess almost none of them, But we'll see... I HOPE THEY´LL READ THIS!

So browsing around the forums I saw a lot, REALLY A LOT of requests for a HARDCORE MODE. So why not make a new topic about it? Post all your hardcore mode idea's here so the developers can hopefully add this into the game, in the future. Now, here are my idea's;

IMPORTANT! THIS MODE SHOULD BE CUSTOMIZABLE, MEANING ALL OF THE BELOW FEATURES CAN BE TURNED ON OR OFF, AND EVEN SELECT THE AMOUNT WITH A SLIDER;
(EXAMPLE; ZOMBIE DAMAGE : 0 to 100) TO CREATE ABSOLUTE FREEDOM FOR THE PLAYERS.

THE HARDCORE MODE.
  • ABLE TO DISABLE ALL HUD ELEMENTS.
  • ABLE DISABLE SURVIVAL SENSE, AND ABLE TO CUSTOMIZE IT, MEANING YOU CAN SELECT THE THINGS YOU WANT TO SEE AND NOT WANT TO SEE.
  • WAY BETTER ZOMBIES, IT SHOULD FEEL LIKE THE BEGINNING OF THE GAME, WHEN I WAS REALLY CONSIDERING SHOULD I FIGHT THIS ONE (OR MORE) OR NOT?
  • OR MAYBE JUST WEAPONS THAT DON'T HAVE A HIGHER DAMAGE THEN 100, BECAUSE ZOMBIES ARE SO EASY NOW.  (GIVE US A SLIDER FOR IT, ABLE TO CUSTOMIZE AND STUFF).
  • OR MAKE ZOMBIES HAVE A TOUGHER BODY, MEANING YOU NEED TO STRIKE MULTIPLE TIMES ON ONE SPOT TO CUT TROUGH, OR BREAK IT.
  • SLOWER HEALING, IT'S PRETTY FAST. MAYBE EVEN WHEN USING A MEDIC KIT IT SHOULD FILL UP IN A SHORT TIME INSTEAD OF INSTANT HEAL. 
  • LONGER NIGHTS, THE NIGHTS ARE REALLY SHORT COMPARED TO THE DAY, NIGHTS SHOULD BE AS LONG AS THE DAY. (OR AT LEAST HAVE THE OPTION TO SET IT LIKE THAT.)
  • I WOULDN'T MIND IF IT RAINS A LITTLE BIT MORE SOMETIMES, I ALSO WOULD LIKE THE MAP TO BE STILL WET AFTER IT STOPS RAINING.
  • THE NOISE CIRCLE (THE CIRCLE YOU SEE ON THE MINIMAP WHEN FIRING A GUN FOR EXAMPLE) SHOULD BE WAY BIGGER (ALSO MORE SOUNDS SHOULD BE HEARD BY THEM)
  • NO GRAPPLING HOOK, IT'S REALLY EASY TO ESCAPE, THIS SHOULD BE DISABLED. (ALSO AN OPTION TO TURN ON AND OFF)
  • NO SHIELD, IT'S WEIRD, ALSO, WHY CAN'T I BLOCK USING MY SWORD LIKE THE NPC'S!? (AND WHEN YOU BLOCK YOUR WEAPON'S EFFECTIVENESS SHOULD DECREASE QUITE A BIT.)
  • LOOT, AND WEAPONS SHOULD BE WAY HARDER TO FIND, SPAWN WAY LESS!
  • AIR DROPS CONTAIN A LOT OF USEFUL STUFF, MAKE THEM HAVE SOME GOOD ITEMS FOR HARDCORE. (ALSO ENABLE THEM AFTER YOU FINISHED THE MAIN STORY, I MISS THEM.)
  • ABLE TO REVISIT QUARANTINE ZONE'S, I REALLY LIKE THEM! (WHAT ABOUT YOU OWN QUARANTINE ZONE EDITOR? (HOW AWESOME IS THAT!) 
  • FOR THE TRUE HARDCORE PEOPLE: YOU NEED TO EAT AND DRINK, SLEEP ALSO MAYBE.
  • EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE SKILL, NO UNLIMITED STAMINA IN HARDCORE!
  • ZOMBIES SHOULDN'T BE DEAD AFTER I CUT THEIR LEGS OFF, I NOTICED THEY DIE WHEN I CUT TWO LEGS OFF, WHEN I CUT ONE THEY STILL LIVE.
  • WOULD BE AWESOME TO SEE CHILD ZOMBIES WANDER AROUND ONCE IN A WHILE, MAYBE ONLY IN THE NIGHT. 
  • AN EXTRA COOL FEATURE WOULD BE IF THEY STILL CRAWL WHEN THEY'RE CUT IN HALF, WOULD BE PRETTY AWESOME RIGHT?
  • ALL THE ZOMBIES AND HUMANS SHOULD NOTICE WHEN A LIGHT IS SHINING ON THEM AND SHOULD REACT TO IT, LIKE TURNING AROUND AND LOOK AT THE DIRECTION IT'S COMING FROM.
  • REALISTIC ADD-ON (EXTRA OPTION) NO ELEMENTAL STUFF, FREEZING FIRE AND ELECTRICITY & STUFF OFF FOR THE PEOPLE WHO WANT IT LIKE THAT.
  • A LIMITED BATTERY LIFE FOR YOUR UV AND NORMAL FLASHLIGHT.
  • YOUR CHARACTER CAN HAVE SEIZURES AT RANDOM MOMENTS IN NORMAL GAMEPLAY, LIKE IN THE STORY MODE. (http://forum.techland.pl/topic/4514-hardcore-mode-everybody-wants-it-post-your-ideas-for-it-here/page-2#entry19665)
  • A VERY LIMITED CHARACTER INVENTORY, YOU CAN CARRY UP TO 4 WEAPONS AND 20 ITEMS. (OF COURSE, ALSO CUSTOMIZABLE)
  • WHEN YOU DIE, YOU LOSE ALL OF YOUR STUFF. (AND OF COURSE, ALSO CUSTOMIZABLE)
  • ABLE TO RESET SKILLS, OR ADD PRESTIGE!
  • ABLE TO DISABLE SLOW MOTION AND X-RAY, ALSO CHANGE THE X-RAY PLEASE. I DON'T WANT TO SEE A SKULL BREAK WHEN THE HEAD IS ALREADY GONE.
  • GET RID OF THE RIDICULOUS FALL DAMAGE, YOU CAN SURVIVE FROM EVERY HEIGHT ON A CAR!? THE GARBAGE BAGS ARE RIDICULOUS TOO, BUT NOT AS MUCH AS THE CARS.
  • BITERS CAN INFECT YOU, (EXTRA OPTION) ONCE YOU GOT BITTEN ONCE OR A COUPLE OF TIMES YOU'LL START TO HAVE SYMPTOMS, SO YOU BETTER FIND AN ANTIZEN AIRDROP!
  • NIGHT HUNTER AI, FROM BE THE ZOMBIE MODE, SO YOU'LL SOMETIMES GET INVADED BY A COMPUTER CONTROLLED NIGHT HUNTER.
  • PLAYER COSTUMES ARE DIFFERENT, THEY SHOULD HAVE ADVANTAGES AND ALSO DISADVANTAGES, FOR EXAMPLE; THE JUGGERNAUT SHOULD BE ABLE TO ABSORB MORE DAMAGE, BUT ALSO BE SLOWER.

MORE, WEAPONS & STUFF!
  • ABLE TO PEEK AROUND CORNERS AND SHOOT, LIKE IN FAR CRY!
  • ABLE TO FIND ALL WEAPONS IN THE GAME, I DON'T WANT TO FIND THE SAME WEAPONS OVER AND OVER AGAIN WHEN I FINISHED EVERYTHING IN THE GAME!
  • CHAINSAW!!! 
  • FIST WEAPONS, LIKE YOU SEE IN THIS VIDEO; (YouTube) AND MANY OTHER COOL FIST WEAPONS!
  • BEAR TRAPS? (GoogleImages) WOULD BE AWESOME FOR A ZOMBIE GAME RIGHT!? :D
  • TAZERS!? 
  • FLARE GUN, BURN EM! NOT JUST NORMAL FLARES, UV FLARES ALSO! 
  • SNIPER RIFLE, SHOTGUNS, REVOLVERS!
  • C'MON, WHERE IS DUAL WIELD!? LIKE SKYRIM? DUAL WIELD SMALL KNIFES, OR MAYBE A KNIFE AND A PISTOL, OR MAYBE TWO PISTOLS!?
  • A BOW, CRAFTABLE WITH A STICK AND A ROPE FOR A SMALL AND OF COURSE BAD ONE, BUT ALSO A RARE GOOD ONE, LIKE THE PHANTOM BOW IN BATTLEFIELD 4?
  • CROSSBOW! WITH BOLTS, WITH THE SAME FEATURES AS ARROWS.
  • OF COURSE THE ARROW'S, WITH ELEMENTS AND FIRECRACKERS AND EVEN FLARES, FOR DISTRACTION. (OF COURSE ABLE TO CANCEL ARROWS, JUST LOOK AT THE BOW MECHANICS FROM FAR CRY 4, I LOVE IT!)

These are all features I would like to see in this game in the future, I hope that with this I could double, triple, (or even more) the replayability of this game. I really love it and it would be really stupid to stop playing this after a short while. I WANT TO KEEP PLAYING AND NOT GET BORED!

THAT'S ALL, OR IS IT? I'LL ADD MORE WHEN I SEE SOME MORE GREAT IDEA'S ON THE FORUM! I THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME AND READING IT ALL, ALSO EXCUSE ME FOR MY ENGLISH MISTAKES IF I MADE ANY, I'M DUTCH. 

Edited by tvdaXD

More rain!! Ha ! Me too... It doesn't rain enough in this game... And it's so cool when it does!!

But your list is great!! It lists pretty much all the stuff I'd thought of...

Definately having an option to turn off the mini map! Especially at night!

You wanted to turn off survivor sense, which I would partly agree with, in terms of looting a room, searching it yourself without it guiding you to where all the items are, and also giving you the ability to 'sense' where the Volatiles are. However, the survivor sense has on more than one occasion helped me find my weapon that I threw at an enemy and missed or there was an explosion that sent it flying off... In Dead Island I was constantly loosing weapons. Dying light allows me to find my weapons using Survivor Sense. Which is very helpful.

BUT - I think any HARDCORE MODE for this game should be a large list of stuff that you can turn on or off (like you say) so you can customise your ideal hardcore mode. Kind of like THIEF 4... It has a list of options you can turn on or off, to tailor the experience.

That's really important!

Because I might want some things in my hardcore mode but not others... For example I like to use guns, and the ability to buy ammo for them... I don't want that restricted.

I think fine tuning a hardcore mode is a delicate balance. For example, having Malaria in Far Cry 2 was just annoyingly frustrating, it wasn't fun. And I saw your idea about becoming infected and needing to find antizen.... Whilst the idea sounds interesting, I'm sure it would end up just being annoying like the malaria in Far Cry 2.... Also it would ultimately introduce, in effect, a 'time limit' to the experience... It would get annoying !

Edited by Lamoi

Great list and all of it's ideas will only happen if it's moddiable. The publisher isn't going to allow anything complicated and time consuming, to delay it's DLC timetable.

I've no idea how moddable it is.

One thing most gamers never consider is D.I.Y. Hardcore Mode.

There is a no HUD option (H is default key), I've not used it yet. Accidently started it and then it removed all the HUD. Not played with it off.

Just because you can use a grappling hook, doesn't mean you must.

Super Hardcore Mode

Use no weapons/survivor sense and take no perks.

If that's too hardcore for you, pick limitations that give you a challenging game.

If you use a banned option. You've cheated yourself.

Even massively overpowered characters can be made much tougher using the startup specs.

Not taking an offered option is also a choice.

Thus far the best suggestions I have seen for new game + and new game ++ (etc) have been a tiered system similar to Diablo 3 or such other games where the enemy difficulty increases with each completion of the game. Essentially allowing players eventually to meet a level of satisfactory challenge for their skill. 

One alternative I can see is to allow custom campaigns with a form of skull system in place. Enabling a skull presenting the player with a new challenge and would be unlocked by completing the previous skull. Note that multiples can be used at once. Egs for such skulls are are/could be as follows. 

1. Enemy health increase by x amount
  2. Enemy damage increase by x amount
  3. Night time duration increased by X amount
  4. Weapon drop rate decreased by X amount
  5. Item durability loss increased by X amount
  6. Grappling hook cooldown increased by X amount
  7. Crafting materials required for all items increased by x amount
  8. Minimap disabled, or enemy view angle increased by x amount
  9. Inventory space decreased by x%
  10. Medkit capacity decreased to X amount

More rain!! Ha ! Me too... It doesn't rain enough in this game... And it's so cool when it does!!

But your list is great!! It lists pretty much all the stuff I'd thought of...

Definately having an option to turn off the mini map! Especially at night!

You wanted to turn off survivor sense, which I would partly agree with, in terms of looting a room, searching it yourself without it guiding you to where all the items are, and also giving you the ability to 'sense' where the Volatiles are. However, the survivor sense has on more than one occasion helped me find my weapon that I threw at an enemy and missed or there was an explosion that sent it flying off... In Dead Island I was constantly loosing weapons. Dying light allows me to find my weapons using Survivor Sense. Which is very helpful.

BUT - I think any HARDCORE MODE for this game should be a large list of stuff that you can turn on or off (like you say) so you can customise your ideal hardcore mode. Kind of like THIEF 4... It has a list of options you can turn on or off, to tailor the experience.

That's really important!

Because I might want some things in my hardcore mode but not others... For example I like to use guns, and the ability to buy ammo for them... I don't want that restricted.

I think fine tuning a hardcore mode is a delicate balance. For example, having Malaria in Far Cry 2 was just annoyingly frustrating, it wasn't fun. And I saw your idea about becoming infected and needing to find antizen.... Whilst the idea sounds interesting, I'm sure it would end up just being annoying like the malaria in Far Cry 2.... Also it would ultimately introduce, in effect, a 'time limit' to the experience... It would get annoying !

You're right, a time limit experience is annoying, but I think with getting infected you really have to think about your moves, and especially when fighting hordes of zombies. Able to get infected (if implemented in the game) should be balanced, meaning it should not be in five minutes but in days or more. And on top of that able to turn it off, to get your true hardcore experience you want! Also with the survivor sense, It should be more customizable, able to select the things you wan't to see like the weapon you lost.

Edited by tvdaXD

chupacabra Hardcore mode, not everyone wants it bud.

Some good ideas floating around, but i just think the game is fine as it is.

And people keep posting "IDEAS" in the wrong place , they go in the first topic down from the top of the screen, you know the one that says =

Ideas And Feature Requests For Dying Light Developers.

Jeez

With all due respect, you may not want a hardcore mode. But for the rest of us who are walking around 1 shotting volatiles with our stupidly overpowered weapons then using our lol-hook to hewhewhew away into the sunset all day long, the game isn't a challenge at all...

I agree with the post placement but I also view the current game as far too easy and therefore an "issue" and issues warrant their own thread :)

With all due respect, you may not want a hardcore mode. But for the rest of us who are walking around 1 shotting volatiles with our stupidly overpowered weapons then using our lol-hook to hewhewhew away into the sunset all day long, the game isn't a challenge at all...

I agree with the post placement but I also view the current game as far too easy and therefore an "issue" and issues warrant their own thread :)

Couldn't said it better myself, and on top of that, I already posted the same idea's there! :P

I'm just saying its not everybody ! no offence but this is never gonna be Dark Souls (thank fook).

I am still getting killed by normal zombies FFS !

Of course it isn't going to be, it's a "mode," meaning it can be turned on and off, if you are having a hard time dealing with the normal zombies then I suggest training some more. Once you're a true zombie killing machine that can't be killed go for hardcore mode! ;)

I think the general consensus is that we all love the game but if we are going to keep playing it once we hit their max level then we need something remotely challenging. Either by buffing the enemies or by nerfing ourselves. Eitehr way will do, or a mix of both. We also all seem to agree it should be an option and therefore not mandatory to enjoy the story :)

-Make skills cost more than 1 skillpoint to get.  You shouldn't have every skill in the game at max level

-Nerf/Remove Camo Attack, it's really overpowered (Camo should only work until you get within 5ft of a zombie IMO)

-Nerf Safe zones - Kiting enemies back to safe zones shouldn't just automatically save the player.  Players should have to ditch anything following them prior to running back into a safe zone.

-Enemies receive a damage multiplier at night

-Make lots of missions that were able to be done during the day now require you to do them at night.

-Better AI at night.  It's way to easy to lose enemies right now (players should need to find a spot to hide instead of just running to a safe zone, running until winded)

-New zombie type: Assassin zombies (Similar to hunters from L4D)

-Need a supply of batteries to keep the UV light working

-Loud sounds should attract more than just 2-3 virals.  Enemies should keep getting attracted until the players leave the area

-Searching a container the first time should have a ~70% chance to find loot.  More than once should drastically reduce the chance to find anything inside (I'm thinking 1-5% chance of loot)

-Head damage only.  Zombies shouldn't die from body attacks

-Volatile's adapt to become more resistant to UV as the player uses it more

Edited by falsedemise

Chk this - it shows a Mod 'Super Aggressive Zombies'

http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/09/dying-light-mod-makes-things-much-much-harder/

Looks wicked... I'm playing on Xbox one...

This is definately something I would like to see - with some balancing of course...

I wouldn't want an endless/infinite number of zombies spawning, there would need to be a lull, if you stopped making loud noise or hid/relocated... Etc

Most of all - I really hope the New Hard Mode is customisable...

Because it could very easily include modifications that perhaps I wouldnt want in a Hard Mode...

I want a list of options to turn on or off.

I want,

- option to turn off mini map - esp at night, where it makes it easier to avoid Volatiles!!

- more aggressive zombies

- packs of up to 10 (or more?) Virals swarming you if you make loud noises

- earlier introduction of harder zombie types, baby screamers and demolishers!

- less loot and items.

- less safe zones?

I still want guns tho, and the ability to buy ammo!

NB : it's the day time that needs the difficulty ramped up more...

Chk this - it shows a Mod 'Super Aggressive Zombies'

http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/09/dying-light-mod-makes-things-much-much-harder/

Looks wicked... I'm playing on Xbox one...

This is definately something I would like to see - with some balancing of course...

I wouldn't want an endless/infinite number of zombies spawning, there would need to be a lull, if you stopped making loud noise or hid/relocated... Etc

You're right, it looks amazing. But still, he's mowing them down so easy, Maybe it could be more balanced if the zombies weren't that soft, that you needed multiple blows on one spot to actually cut trough.

You're right, it looks amazing. But still, he's mowing them down so easy, Maybe it could be more balanced if the zombies weren't that soft, that you needed multiple blows on one spot to actually cut trough.

I'm not sure if tough zombies and large number of fast zombies would be a nice combination! - I think they are doing a good job though and I trust they will balance it :) I would certainly settled for having enemies similar to that mod. 

also consider that footage was daytime. At night volatile s will take several hits on NG +

Think this topic needs a bump given teh recent announcement. People voice your ideas for the new content. Now's your chance!

I've send a tweet to Dying Light & Techland about it! I hope someone will read it and pass it on to the developers!

I'm not sure if tough zombies and large number of fast zombies would be a nice combination! - I think they are doing a good job though and I trust they will balance it :) I would certainly settled for having enemies similar to that mod. 

also consider that footage was daytime. At night volatile s will take several hits on NG +

You're right and on top of that, I didn't have noticed night volatile's take more hits. (Probably because of the OP weapons now) But maybe they could find a balance between tough and large numbers. 

Thanks for reading the Topic btw! :)

Edited by tvdaXD

As I mentioned in the suggestions thread...

I'd love to see the seizures implemented into regular gameplay somehow (maybe in the upcoming Hard Mode, if nothing else?). One element I loved about Dying Light was the fact that Crane (LOVE Crane, by the way, I need more of him in my life) was infected with the virus. I've always hated "protagonist immunity" to any important disease/curse/what have you in a story, and Dying Light handled the zombie virus and seizures extremely well. It was one of my favorite elements.

So I think it'd be awesome if we kept feeling the effects of that continuously throughout the game. Not only would it be more consistent with the story missions, but it'd also offer a new level of challenge in regular gameplay if you suddenly have a seizure like the ones in certain story missions. It makes the game more immersive, since Crane's infection is a very real (and very dramatic) problem throughout the story.

It'd give a sense of the desperation for a cure - and the desperation for antizin. We'd feel a little more for those renegade survivors you see running around shouting "I really, REALLY need those suppressants!" The seizures should also get worse and worse if you let them go for too long, and if you go long enough without another antizin shot, you eventually have a really bad seizure and then your game just ends because you change. Antizin could only be available at the two main safehouses in each zone (the Tower in the Slums and the Roost [forgive me, I forget its exact name] in Old Town), to give a feeling of how rare and valuable it is.

Also, perhaps the hardcore mode could essentially be a list of elements that we turn on and off, to customize our gameplay experience to suit our preferences? If we dislike one part of hardcore mode, we just don't check that one off, for instance. Though that's getting a bit more extensive. :P 

I've send a tweet to Dying Light & Techland about it! I hope someone will read it and pass it on to the developers!

You're right and on top of that, I didn't have noticed night volatile's take more hits. (Probably because of the OP weapons now) But maybe they could find a balance between tough and large numbers. 

Thanks for reading the Topic btw! :)

My experience of NG + with a 2400 damage weapon is that a volatile will take 4-5 hits to die. My friends who aren't on NG are still 1-2 hits. So there is quite a difference :) I love the idea of having to swing wildly to kill the biters, just like at good ol level 5, but at the same time I don't know if you can have that and also have the super aggro mobs chasing you. Hopefully they achieve a good compromise. 

As I mentioned in the suggestions thread...

I'd love to see the seizures implemented into regular gameplay somehow (maybe in the upcoming Hard Mode, if nothing else?). One element I loved about Dying Light was the fact that Crane (LOVE Crane, by the way, I need more of him in my life) was infected with the virus. I've always hated "protagonist immunity" to any important disease/curse/what have you in a story, and Dying Light handled the zombie virus and seizures extremely well. It was one of my favorite elements.

So I think it'd be awesome if we kept feeling the effects of that continuously throughout the game. Not only would it be more consistent with the story missions, but it'd also offer a new level of challenge in regular gameplay if you suddenly have a seizure like the ones in certain story missions. It makes the game more immersive, since Crane's infection is a very real (and very dramatic) problem throughout the story.

It'd give a sense of the desperation for a cure - and the desperation for antizin. We'd feel a little more for those renegade survivors you see running around shouting "I really, REALLY need those suppressants!" The seizures should also get worse and worse if you let them go for too long, and if you go long enough without another antizin shot, you eventually have a really bad seizure and then your game just ends because you change. Antizin could only be available at the two main safehouses in each zone (the Tower in the Slums and the Roost [forgive me, I forget its exact name] in Old Town), to give a feeling of how rare and valuable it is.

Also, perhaps the hardcore mode could essentially be a list of elements that we turn on and off, to customize our gameplay experience to suit our preferences? If we dislike one part of hardcore mode, we just don't check that one off, for instance. Though that's getting a bit more extensive. :P

All of the things you said are in the list! Able to turn on and off all the features in Hard Mode (already in the list) and now I've added your great idea of getting seizures!  

My experience of NG + with a 2400 damage weapon is that a volatile will take 4-5 hits to die. My friends who aren't on NG are still 1-2 hits. So there is quite a difference :) I love the idea of having to swing wildly to kill the biters, just like at good ol level 5, but at the same time I don't know if you can have that and also have the super aggro mobs chasing you. Hopefully they achieve a good compromise. 

I haven't tried NG+ yet, I already completed every thing (Except collectibles) but I wanted to try NG+ after they released a patch for AMD systems... Currently playing with a 20 to 40 FPS. :/