Michał Napora

The Official Modding Tools Thread

Hi guys, 

Today we want to announce omething really special - we are creating our own set of Modding Tools.

We're all in awe of some of the mods we've seen so far - the drop kick that send the zombies into the sky is nuts. It's amazing to see what you guys are able to come up with.

Soon, you'll be able to create your own version of a zombie outbreak. We've been working on a set of Modding Tools for some time, but we would also love to hear your thoughts on the issue. 

So, tell us what would you like to see in our modding tools. What would you like to create with it? What would you like to do with them? 

Give us your thoughts right here below in the comments section. 

We're hoping to support the creations you make, so please, let us know what you would like in there, and let's create something special together. 

Simply put, we would love a Mod SDK that is as robust as humanly possible. This means letting people create Total Conversion mods if they so pleased, including one that revamps the A.I. to something more akin to the original F.E.A.R., for example. Also, have support for as many scripting & programming languages as humanly possible as well. Let people create intricate vehicle mods, like being able to utilize a Mech, for example. The possibilities would be endless & you would be setting an example for the rest of the industry that Robust Mod SDKs can work along side DLC, not the other way around. Speaking of which, please consider signing & spreading this petition asking Rockstar to take note on Techland's example & create a Robust Mod SDK for GTA V:

https://www.change.org/p/rockstar-games-please-make-an-official-robust-mod-sdk-for-gta-v?just_created=true 

Thank you for your time.

Regards, Glutko Industries Inc.

as long as it has a better art pipeline than Skyrim's Creation Kit, aka, gamebryo, then things should go pretty nicely

That and if I can put Shrek in as a zombie, or all zombies, then I will begin delving into weird content.

Yes, Shrek.

Shrek is love, Shrek is life.

I will do it, don't doubt me on this. Weird mods are my favorite to make.

Right so first off, Techland you guys rock, i love dying light.

ok, enough. time for my 2 cents worth of input.

if the modding tools are in the realm of GECK or Creation Kit (Bethesda, Fallout and Skyrim) functionality then really 99.9% of modders will not only be happy but will crank out more mods than you could ever believe. what some examples look at NexusMods (Skyrim is up over 36k mods, and falloutNV is 14k, fallout 3 has 13k differant mods.) so give your Modding tools the power to do pretty much anything someone can come up with and you may well see Dying Light get some campaigns like Falskaar. 

thats my bit of imput, im betting im not the only one that thinks of the GECK or Creation Kit when i hear the words "Mod Tools". 

either way great game Techland, keep up the good work, now if youll excuse me, i need to snag an airdrop then investigate the DLC. BACK HARRAN FOR ME.

Techland I'm a huge fan of Dying Light and am glad to hear that you have decided to make a SDK to allow other fans of this game put they're touch on it. If this can Get as extreme as Skyrims Modding Community it would blow my mind(fingers crossed) I would love for the SDK to have just as much or More Freedom as the Creation Kit and Geck of Bethesda's Creation. Hopefully more.

I want a mod to change difficulty and xp for the whole Game. XP in Terms of Quest and other XP for the Survival Tree because leveling gets too fast.

Difficulty is a big question because the Game gets too easy after reaching Level 15 but its specially important for New Game plus, the difficulty doesnt change

in New Game plus and thats really sad.

So i would like to have a really simple mod to alter Default values of the Game like Enemy health, Enemy damage taken, Aggro range, Speed, ability to climb etc

I would really like to have the ability to increase the number of Enemies overall aswell and double the amount of Enemies running around. Also including a Weapon

damage reduction for all Weapons for 25, 50, 75% and so on and maybe a few more crazy Weapon mods to add.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

I would very much like to see a tool that will help with map making, I would love to make a big city almost like mirrors edge but more futuristic. Also possibly add access to create custom missions like side quests that could help the maps that may be created feel more alive.

-edit 

When I say help with map making I mean something in the style of the unreal development kit (UDK) or skyrims sdk with the ability to import custom models and textures with the ability to add some sort of scripting events like doors, airdrops and loot but with custom models that we could make and import.

Edited by JackAida

Hi,

if Dying Light devs plan to make chromed 6 available to public,

i have some suggestions.

First, i'll explain why you should make it available.(at least a light version)

Because just scripting Dying Light as Dead Island is not enough.(In my opinion)

It's too limited because you can't make a real change in the game,

i mean like a total conversion of the game or new enemies and so on.

Give us chromed 6 !!

Now my suggestions;

1. material editor.

with all functions like variables, shader,normal maps, specular light,textures...

Make a list of all material functions.

And the possibility to make your own material script with the help of the mat editor.

Also the possibility to link the material to any 3d object ingame.

2. 3D model importer plugin.

Please make a blender compatible plugin with animation support for people that can't spend 4000 $ in 3ds max.

Or make a new dae2msh with anim export.

I think this is the most important tool for mappers to add new things inside DL.

3. Code sample examples .

I mean python, java or whatever language is used in Dying Light to add new character class or oject class or new hud...

You could give us some source code to help mod programmers to make real mods like HL2 complete mods.

Creating new classes could give modders a huge range of  possibilities.

I think that now techland is ready for making big things like Valve did with the modding community.

It's time to release chromed 6 within modding tools,

4. Tutorials.

Video or text based tutorials,

to increase the community skills faster.

Explain which script file does what and describe his included functions.

Make a youtube channel or make a site like cojmodding was.

Choose a good place to get all modders together, a place to share their ideas, mod files, own tutorials and so on.

5. Rules

Please make clear license rules.

The rules will be the base of the community because mapping or modding could take people a lot of time

and if they don't have clear rules on the editor permissions,

they will loose their time.
Worse, people could break some law or copyright that will put them in real trouble

even if they didn't knew they were breaking the law.

So please, make a tutorial to explain what they can do or not with the modding tools!!!

Don't let people alone and ignorant making stupid things.

You could suggest to 3d modelers to prove that they have made their own 3d model.

They'll show to the community 2 or 3 screenshots of their model at early production stage.

6. no quest editor.

The chrome editor 4  quest tool was pushing mappers

to make boring repetitive quests.

All missions were almost the same.

Make an actionchain manager instead.

7. actionchain manager tool.

make a simplier way to link characters, models and sensors with actionchains.

Make one actionchain editor that can list all available actions you can create. 

Then explaining what act_ChangeParams means...

It think it's much better to go deeper in the game mechanics this way

than making a repetitive quest editor without full control on actions.

8. no simple mode, just advanced mode (expert mode)

Chromed 4 had a simple and advanced mode.

The simple mode was here to help beginners to step in the map creation.

But it's a waste of time to learn the simple mode.

Why?, because once you've managed the simple mode's User interface,

and you want to turn advanced mode on, you'll need to start learning editor buttons from scratch.

Also, with the simple mode you miss most of the engine functions.

9. Full assets pipeline.

make possible to add custom sound, music, textures models quickly inside the editor.

10. Fx editor creator.

make a tool for editing existing 2d fx and creating new ones.

make the same kind of tool mentionned in material editor section.

11. Dialog editor.

Make one tool for creating dialog strings that will output text.scr file directly in game folders.

Make lips, sound and mimics synchronisation between dialogs by using a timeline tool.

Also make one language localisation wizzard.

12. Weather editor.

There's already a varlist editor in the engine but it will be very useful to have realtime weather changer in the editor.

Also a day and night cycle editing tool that can output in the weater.scr

All those suggestions could really accelerate the maps or mods creation process.

I know that i'm asking impossible things but for me, this kind of tools would make chromed perfect.

If you don't publish the chrome editor 6, forget about this.

Edited by cr1m3

I want a mod to change difficulty and xp for the whole Game. XP in Terms of Quest and other XP for the Survival Tree because leveling gets too fast.

Difficulty is a big question because the Game gets too easy after reaching Level 15 but its specially important for New Game plus, the difficulty doesnt change

in New Game plus and thats really sad.

So i would like to have a really simple mod to alter Default values of the Game like Enemy health, Enemy damage taken, Aggro range, Speed, ability to climb etc

I would really like to have the ability to increase the number of Enemies overall aswell and double the amount of Enemies running around. Also including a Weapon

damage reduction for all Weapons for 25, 50, 75% and so on and maybe a few more crazy Weapon mods to add.

Take a look at my mod, it already does some of this. But there also a lot of mods out there from some talented modders :)

http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/mods/49

• Proper documentation of how the engine works.
  • File Converter that can take data from programs like 3DSMax, Maya, and Blender and turn them into in game assets and animations. I.E. if I make a box in Blender, export it as a fbx or obj, I should be able to convert it into the proper file type for your game engine.
  • Sample Rig for Characters
  • Example files of a biped character, an on the ground item, a weapon, a static object, and a building
  • A "lite" version of the executive that boots up quickly to a blank world where you can test the mods you are working on immediately.

This and a proper level editor with control over enemy types, behaviors, trigger zones and walk paths.

Also support to general texture, mesh, and character animation replacement.

Edited by cameron.horst

This and a proper level editor with control over enemy types, behaviors, trigger zones and walk paths.

Also support to general texture, mesh, and character animation replacement.

All of this, & let people script & program anything into the game with as many languages as possible(e.g. Mech mod or any other vehicle mod, an entirely different A.I. system, a Total Conversion mod with an entirely new campaign, be it linear or open, etc.)

I would like the mod tools to be similar to GECK or creation kit. Note that I said similar. I would love to see people able to add more parkour moves, gameplay features, new skills, weapons, outfits, map editor, quest mods, pretty much anything that can keep me playing. Thank you so much for Dying Light, it is a lot of fun even after finishing the game.

Oh, about the issue of people not having the same mods as each other & therefore cannot play with each other, if a player does not have their friend's mod &/or vice verca, have said mods be automatically downloaded & installed for them. This way, everyone is happy.

Edited by GlutkoIndustries

Hello guys and Modder.

Please could you make a mod for this game to use more page file because I doubt this game 9gb page file is enough!

I did my homework and found out that no matter how much ram you have you still need page file to store the data for faster access!

I like my games to be smooth as much as possible

It would be nice to know how much ram game dev are using when they created the game and by using my sixth sense I think they are using more ram imo!

I use afterburner to monitor ram usage and page file activity

I have seen people with high spec and tremendous amount of ram and still show stuttering!

Also another feature is to add is borderless screen mode which work better than full screen without screen tearing like the awful full screen mode which cause people to use video synchronisation setting!

Edited by Raiden

Hi,

if you DW(DL)  techland devs plan to make chromed 6 available to public,

i have some suggestions.

First, i'll explain why you need to make chromed 6 awailable.(at least a light version)

Because modding this game by tweaking scripts like DI mods were made is a waste of time.

In my opinion,

and that's why i never get further in modding DI.

DI mods were too limited because you can't make a real change in the game, i mean like a total conversion of the game or new enemies and so on.

Give us the opportunity to download chromed 6 even pay for it!

Now my suggestions:

1. material editor.

with all variables and available shader,functions, light,textures listed and the possibility to make your own material script with the help

of the mat editor by using the mouse and typing the material name you want then, the tool will link the mat to the 3d object.

2. 3D model importer plugin.

Please make a blender compatible plugin with animation support for people that can't spend 4000 $ in 3ds max.

Or make a new dae2msh with anim export.

I think this is the most important tool for mappers to add new things inside DL.

3. Code examples.

I mean python, java or whatever language is used in DL to add new character class or oject class or new UI...

You could share some source code to help mod programmers for making real mods like HL2 complete mods.

Not just little script tweaking with a limited impact on the game.

Creating new classes could give modders a huge range of  possibilities.

I think that now techland is ready for making big things like Valve did with the modding community.

Because you ever shared chrome editors with the world and you paid guys to make tutorials for users who bought your games.

But you step back when you released the Cartel because of bad critics? (i did not liked Coj3 because of the story and modern theme but the multiplayer

was very good and the graphics were the most beautiful thing you ever did before really!!)

It's the good moment to release chromed 6 within modding tools,

i mean you tried with chrome, Xpand, Coj2 but not succeed because of the lack of fans.

But now all media eyes are focused on you and you have many followers, it's time to launch the modder's community for real !!

Look Left4Dead is a huge success and i can tell you some example where they found inspiration.

You can pick gas cylinder in L4D and throw them on zombies then, shoot and boom.

You can do the same in Dead island so Techland was inspired by L4D and Turtle Rock Studios were inspired by BrainBread

Half Life 1 zombie coop mod.

http://www.ironoak.ch/BB/

So if you consider modders, you'll have a better chance to make brand new concept in your game.

4. Tutorials.

Video or text based tutorials,

that's what make the community core growing.

Don't include videos in chromed like you did with chromed4, that will make the editor's size too big.

Make a youtube channel or make a site like cojmodding was but avoid the bad ranking system he has.

Choose a good place to get all modders together, a place to share their ideas, mod files, own tutorials and so on.

5. Rules

Please make clear license rules.

The rules, this is the base of the community because mapping or modding could take people years of their life and if

they don't have clear rules on what they can achieve or why they should spend time to make a mod for this game,

they will loose their life time for nothing.

Also, people could break some official law or copyright that could put them in real trouble

even if they didn't knew they were breaking some obsure law hided in the bottom of a 300 page eula agreement...

Please, make a tutorial to explain what they can do or not with the modding tools!!!

Don't just say you will support modding then let people alone and ignorant making stupid things.

You could ask 3d modelers to prove that they made the model by themselves

by showing to community 2 or 3 screenshots of their model at begining stages.

6. no quest editor. (sry for eltaar)

I think it was the worst thing made for coj2 because the quest tool was pushing mappers

to make boring repetitive quests.

All missions were the same like follow the star icon, say yes to the mission,

take a horse and kill every one then take the money and buy you a gun...

I want to smell the zombie's brain, go in the sandbox and feel free to explore the world the way i want.

Make me feel that the path i'm following is the one i choosed but not the only available.

Call of Juarez 1 had a perfect hand crafted scenario

that was avoiding repetition in gameplay.

7. actionchain manager tool.

make a simplier way to link characters and models sensors with actionchains

with an actionchain editor that can list all available actions you can create. 

Then explaining what act_ChangeParams means...

It is much better to go deeper in the game mechanics this way

than making a repetitive quest editor without full control on actions.

8. no simple mode, just advanced mode (expert mode)

Chromed 4 had a simple and advanced mode.

The simple mode was here to help beginners to step in the map creation.

But it is a waste of time to use the simple mode.

Why? because you have to learn how to use the simple mode's User interface

and once you master it and want to do advanced stuff, you turn the

advanced mode on and you discover that you are used to the simple mode UI

and you need to start learning editor buttons from scratch.

Also, with the simple mode you miss most of the engine functions.

And one day, you discover functions you never thought it was in the editor

and could have saved you a lot of time.

So, instead of making the UI "baby friendly", make an user friendly tutorial on the full expert user interface.

9. Full assets pipeline.

make possible to add custom sound, music, textures models quickly inside the editor.

10. Fx editor creator.

make a tool for editing existing 2d fx and creating new ones.

make the same kind of tool mentioned in material editor of make a fx and material editor fusion.

Great post cr1m3 .Hammer and nail on the head .Type of post  hope they listen to this . Not spoke to you for a while back in the days i was doing day and night cycles for dead island , :)

Great post cr1m3 .Hammer and nail on the head .Type of post  hope they listen to this . Not spoke to you for a while back in the days i was doing day and night cycles for dead island , :)

Hi again,

nice to speak with you Luke Dead DeadIsland.

I really hope they'll give us good tools for making cool things.

Also thank you for the day&night cycle mods you made cause techland considered them in Dying Light for sure.

I can't wait for the tools to come and start modding.