Michał Napora

The Official Modding Tools Thread

In my opinion, Skyrim like editor is a pinnacle of modding tools, though asking for something like that is a long shot, so here are things i consider to be the most important ones:

1) Coop support - mods should be usable with coop mode active, as long as everyone has them installed.

2) Map, or at least, interior editor. I guess creating our own outdoor areas may be difficult because of all the parkour stuff. But creating our own quarantin zones and, perhaps, stuff like sewers, underground labs, etc. would be really nice.

3) ability to tweak constants like damage, health, speed and other numbers of all things, from player characters skills to infected.

4) Our own quests, like the ones on the quest boards (since they don't need animations and voiceovers), or objective like the ones we get when we enter quarantine zone.

5) Ability to create our own variations of infected based on those already in game. Bonus points for being able to create entirely new species.

6) Easy way to distribute mods via steam workshop. ( I like how Don't Starve Together mods work. You get them via steam workshop, and when other players try to join your servers they can automatically download all the mods needed in a bulk, without the need to get each of them manually to be able to join server).

Thanks for reading, and for making such an awesome game!

Hi guys,

Today we want to announce omething really special - we are creating our own set of Modding Tools.

We're all in awe of some of the modds we've seen so far - the drop kick that send the zombies into the sky is nuts. It's amazing to see what you guys are able to come up with.

Soon, you'll be able to create your own version of a zombie outbreak. We've been working on a set of Modding Tools for some time, but we would also love to hear your thoughts on the issue.

So, tell us what would you like to see in our modding tools. What would you like to create with it? What would you like to do with them?

Give us your thoughts right here below in the comments section.

We're hoping to support the creations you make, so please, let us know what you would like in there, and let's create something special together.

I just placed order for the game just because you guys making mod tools and I registered just to inform your decission to allow modding is perfect. We want games for PC just because we can play with it unlike console users. Thanks a million in advance for the decission and we really appreciate your efforts to help mod the game.

Please release the tool as soon as possible and allow map editing and more interactive objects in game.

Furniture in game needs to be an object that just ditched models.

Dx12 or mantle support expected from you guys so that we can have more zombies and physics at once to enhance gameplay.

Since im playing on xbox one i'd like to see an update which allows character skins to be changed. Your 'run boy run' trailer you threw up on social media for throwback Thursday hints a multiplayer aspect of running together, great! But the trailer guys free running and fighting were dynamic and different and almost suggesting you'd get a character choice! I personally love the game and all of the mod ideas posted here are awesome - Id just like to be able to play with my buddies and is not all be Mr Crane in different sets of clothing. Diversity - it's simples surely? Let me be a girl and strut my stuff whilst I feel like an undead chupacabra kicker please!

Also - destiny suprised us all as an open MMO game, but the dance button! Omg in almost every game ive played since there are times where needing to troll a buddy requires the dance button to be smashed! And only a dance mod will do im afraid - all free runners got some moves right?!

Prop game - we all know what is it... make a multiplayer zombie prop game - ultimate hide and seek in a post apocalyptic Harran

What I really want is a new type of ranged weapon. But not any type! Ready? A BASEBALL BAT!! We already have a baseball bat in the game, BUT, not none like this one! The projectile of this weapon is a baseBALL! Slow rate of fire, high damage if hit on the head, chance to stun enemies, but it's more for the funsies. Would be awesome!

But of course, map editor would be rudonculous - along with other things. 

I've been max lvl for quite a while now, and every orange weapon I find/buy are swords. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's maybelline. But adding like pipes and oars and wrenches would be cool, that you can, of course, mod as you want. Maybe some new outfits as well. I'm still wondering how to get the ninja outfit though...

But that's all for me! I guess. 

Thank you for this amazing game! I've almost completed the story, again! LOVE IT!

Edited by Wookitalki

This features would be awesome:

-wallrun (would totally give an awesome new feeling to gameplay)

-huge diversity of new big-chupacabra zombies

-arena tournaments (PVP, boss fights, wave-after-wave-action etc.)

-placeable gadgets/traps/bases

-new guns (sniper,bow,chainsaw,flamethrower, lawnmower etc.) with additional features like laserpointer or larger ammo clips

-new weapon upgrades and blueprints with new special effects

-craftable guns/in-depth loot system/rarity of certain weapons(hard to find or craft) or alchemy recipes

-wider skill tree to personalize your gameplay style (or something like a limited amount of skill points then can be spent) -> add starting classes (survivor, fighter, scientist.. etc.)

-nerf minimap because it makes you feel to comfortable when you can see where the enemies are and where they are looking at -> add difficulty mode

-increase the health of the standard zombies (way to easy to kill in late-game) or in addition to the second bullet point, add a bunch of new zombies that are harder to kill.

-more sensitive environment; gun shots and explosions should attract way more zombies -> zombie hordes

-more access to builings -> breakable wooden/steel doors with other tools to get in (maybe welder etc.)

-more variety in combat (combo attacks; zombies can attack together not just one by one -> makes it harder to escape; dual-wielding weapons etc.)

-better character customization

-possibility to block auto-entering online sessions in multiplayer mode

anyway, great game so far! :)

All of This for PS4, its literally everything this game needs

It's great you guys are considering modding tools, far too few game devs do! I think it adds longevity and a lot of value to a game when the community can pitch in. 

Personally I'd like to be able to add weapons to the game, or at least re-skin existing ones. It added a whole extra level of fun to Skyrim. (It did for me anyway)

My sledge hammer has been looking for a new home since I made it last year. So adding that to the game would be the first thing I'd do if I got my hands on some modding tools! Looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. 

sledgehammer.jpg

that's kinda obvious it won't happen on limited consoles, they are already at their performance peak when running unmodded version.

Anyway, any chance for additional multiplayer gamemodes ? And making it possible to create new ones ? :)

I also think that that´s obvious but it would be great if you could launch a worldbuilder app for smartphones linked to the game running in PS4 or Xbox One so the players in consoles don't get tired of the game.

Also they could make an update for the game including more multiplayer gamemodes, more levels and abilities when you reach level 25 and more and more new weapons and modifications for the weapons!!!

Pleaseee it would be awesome if they could do that!!!

Tools to help animators reanimate the game or tweak things, tools to help with creating new zombie types, tools to help people create new maps, tools to help people create (MAYBE, this is a big one) new game modes like a PVP survival thing in the slums, tools to help modders edit the graphics and make the game look even better, tools to help modders create new weapons and equipment, these are just some things that I thought of straight away and I can understand if some of them are a stretch. 

Would love to see a custom weapons mod, Have free reign on what we can create for weapons.

Would love to make a Rope with Bob wire so I can catch 3 or 4 Zombies at a time then tighten the rope so hard that the Zombies are cut right in half.

Last resort Weapon: custom glove with spikes on them, maybe we can make up a power move where u can jump off a building and smash a Zombies head to soup.

I have so many crazy ideas.

I hope the mood tools has parameter check that allow us to test the mod without running the game (it can be quite tedious at some point), also make editing data that require hexcode or compllicated programing language (curve.def, and other stuff) easier.

Airsickhydra

Posted Today, 12:39 PM

Morning all of you beautiful beautiful people. 

Just to let you devs know, the concept of mods nearly made my chupacabra my pants... One thing I would like to ask is that would these mods have to be developed on pc? Or will the mod system be usable on the other platforms?

As a request, and I sure hope a mod reads this. I would like.

1. to be able to tweak the weapon drop table at level 25 to include some of the weaker weapons.
  2. Then to adjust their damage, so some of the older weapons would be usable once more. 
  3. Lastly, to adjust enemy health so that we go back to the good old days of smashing a zombies head 5-10 times before it finally explodes.
  4. Oh and also to increase the grapple hook cool down to at least 1x minute, to keep some stress in the game
  5. 100% lastly, to create custom challenges with custom rewards.

whilst i'm at it, some other minor things...

• adjustable bomber damage (make it hurt but not kill)
  • Adjustable spitter visual block (make it really blind you  :D)
  • adjustable zombie speed / (so that at night, all the biters can move quickly) - or alternatively make all biters into virals at night?
  • health of individual mob types - some of the larger ones in particular. 
  • frequency of random events - for when people have completed the game.
  • customization hud options, ie the removal of the map but allowance of markers, removal of ammunition count, hidden levels (especially when max)

I honestly hope someone gets to read this but I do appreciate you guys are probably up to your elbows in hard work. Really looking forward to all my friends getting their hard copies in a couple of weeks  :)

It would be really cool if there were to be a wall running mod. I miss being able to run alongside a wall from mirrors edge. And one more mod then my game would be perfect. A mod which makes you not able to change direction mid-air. It's cool and fun for some games, but not for this one. It is really "OP" (Overpowered) to be able to change direction like that. In my opinion of course. :)

I would like to change the character models. To give Crane another appearance. For example, let him look like the young dude who gives you the parcours tutorial (I forgot his name, dang). Or make him a Jade XD

Of course that wouldn't fit in with the voice acting, but let's say it like this: Who cares? The people who care won't change the model, so it doesn't matter to them. And the people who don't care, can do it.

Also, depending on how extensive the modding tool is, maybe people will be able to do their own voice acting and put it into the game?

Personally, I am not that interested in a map editor, but I think many other people are. Being able to add in more weapons, with custom models etc would be awesome, but of course this would eventually make it necesary to alter animations.

And if you add weapons...people will add totally op stuff. Probably. But it's the internet, so there will be op stuff. And kittens. And ponys, I am afraid.

Its gonna mke people keep playing if u can make a safe zone clean or just simply decent and u can plant stuff on it like herbs 

arrage your safehouse move around objects takeoff junk inside make it look comfier and fix broken stuff t

o mke ur safe house awsome. And just prob order furnitures on quarter master but u need to pay money cuz guys! We already finish playing the game but i still want to roam around improve stuff and continue playing I got the idea cuz i seen one safe zone on sector O on rooftop theres a safe zone with a garden on it and its very clean and organized and just seeing the woman sweeping the floor. 

And mke other safe zone look comfy too and see and hear people how things finally feel like home even they livin in a apocalyptic harran. 

Theres really alot of sudgestions i hope u guys can read this lol thankyou so much too on mking dying light.

Airsickhydra

Posted Today, 12:39 PM

Morning all of you beautiful beautiful people. 

Just to let you devs know, the concept of mods nearly made my chupacabra my pants... One thing I would like to ask is that would these mods have to be developed on pc? Or will the mod system be usable on the other platforms?

As a request, and I sure hope a mod reads this. I would like.

1. to be able to tweak the weapon drop table at level 25 to include some of the weaker weapons.
  2. Then to adjust their damage, so some of the older weapons would be usable once more. 
  3. Lastly, to adjust enemy health so that we go back to the good old days of smashing a zombies head 5-10 times before it finally explodes.
  4. Oh and also to increase the grapple hook cool down to at least 1x minute, to keep some stress in the game

whilst i'm at it, some other minor things...

• adjustable zombie speed / (so that at night, all the biters can move quickly) - or alternatively make all biters into virals at night?

I honestly hope someone gets to read this but I do appreciate you guys are probably up to your elbows in hard work. Really looking forward to all my friends getting their hard copies in a couple of weeks  :)

You might want to check my creation since it's already fulfilled half of your wish list

Edited by Radikal

Hi guys, 

Today we want to announce omething really special - we are creating our own set of Modding Tools.

We're all in awe of some of the modds we've seen so far - the drop kick that send the zombies into the sky is nuts. It's amazing to see what you guys are able to come up with.

Soon, you'll be able to create your own version of a zombie outbreak. We've been working on a set of Modding Tools for some time, but we would also love to hear your thoughts on the issue. 

So, tell us what would you like to see in our modding tools. What would you like to create with it? What would you like to do with them? 

Give us your thoughts right here below in the comments section. 

We're hoping to support the creations you make, so please, let us know what you would like in there, and let's create something special together. 

If you are making modding tools,then you should make a complete awesome tool that can be used for

any type of players

like..................

for players who want to make game more challenging or who want to play game for only fun! then you should add option for editing weapon characterstics(such as editing its damage durability etc),player characterstics(such as editing player's health,stamina etc),number of zombies,attack power of zombie  and even zombie's characterstics!! :D 

because this would make many gamers satisfy thier style in their own way.......don't ya think :D  :P 

Also texture editing of some zombies can make your modding tool really awesome!! :D

This is such a cool idea. I would supper enjoy access npc models and applying custom AI. Would be cool to see a "clear the city" mode that gives you tools secure city blocks in different ways. This wood need potential for mode like barricades, control of zombie spawn, peaceable UV lights, assigning npc players places to live / defend....I'm sorry I get so excited by nodding ideas

I think if you guys added a map editor like far cry where we could make our own map and spawn our own zombies and humans and stuff it would be awesome. It would be cool if we could make our own safe zones like far crys outposts.

Edited by ZombieMatt12

-Map Editor

-Tools to turn of HUD, increase zombie amount,strength, speed etc.

-Item Editor, that would be absolutley amazing, create your own zombie weapons like harpoon sticks, spears bows, crossbows and stuff like that would be just fantastic

-Create own missions or events

OK, THE ABILITY TO APPLY 3 BLUEPRINTS TO THE SAME WEAPON, MAKING ELECTRICITY, BURNING AND DEEP CUTTING OR POISON. MORE GUN AMMUNITION and ACOG'S OR RED DOT SIGHTS. RANDOM KILLSTREAK LOOTS FROM CHESTS, EX: ARTILLERY, AIRSUPPORT OR WMD'S. ALONG WITH MAP EDITOR. MAN THIS GAME WOULD BE GREATEST FOR 2ND GEN AND ACTION HORROR! I HOPE YOU GUYS LOOK INTO ONE OF THESE WISH'S I'VE PLACED. THANK YOU AND YOUR THE BEST! JUST DONT PUT TOO MUCH AMERICAN DIALOG INTO IT.