Let me say this first. I was the victim of the night hunter dozens of times, and my opinion was that the mode was balanced (granted I never used survivor sense because I didn't even know about it). After playing as the hunter for a while to get some perspective, my opinion has changed.

Let me start with survivor sense... absolute stupidity on the person who added it to this mode. It's ridiculous when all 4 humans are looking directly at you for the entire match and theres nothing you can do about it. The idea of a hunter in any aspect is to be stealthy and avoid detection by your prey. In this mode, the hunter often times because the hunted simply by being flashed with a UV light for half a second. This is what I think needs to happen:

Survivor sense needs to be either completely removed from this mode or be seriously reworked. It has no purpose other than to show the hunters exact location. It should have a cooldown of 20 seconds, and it should only show the direction that the hunter is in. On top of that, the duration of the effect (showing the direction of the hunter) should only last for 2 seconds tops. It's range should also be severely limited. The best thing to do would be to show the hunters map icon on the edge of the radar to show its direction.

UV light... this is a big one. It's drain rate is far too slow. I've been in 10-15 second long chases (where I, the HUNTER, am being chased) where the humans have no issue keeping their UV light on me the entire time. It should last for 6-7 seconds on a full charge, and it should not start recharging for 5 seconds after the UV light is turned off. It's range also needs to be reduced dramatically. It's range coupled with survivor sense makes it impossible to pounce a player who is always staring in your direction with their UV light turned on. It needs at LEAST a 30-40% reduction in range.

Spawning... good GOD... When a hunter dies, it literally spawns them 10-15 seconds away from the nearest nest (this is after the 10 second loading screen wait, of course). Also I can't tell you how many times I've went after a group of people, kill one of them, only to have him spawn 300 meters away within spitting distance of the nests. By the time I even get there, he's already gotten to the nests, destroyed them, and is waiting for me with his UV light pointed in my exact direction. If a survivor dies, for whatever reason, it should NOT spawn him closer to the nests.

Spits... now before I go into this, be aware I'm only a level 7-8 hunter, so I do not have all the skills unlocked. Now, the length of time it takes spits to explode is ridiculous. You can land a spit 2 feet away from someone, and they can be 30 feet away before it goes off. If there is a skill that reduces that time, disregard this part.

People hiding in unreachable places... here's a story from last night (TL;DR at the end). I joined a session of 4 people who were playing in Old Town. As soon as I joined, I see all 4 of them running for a few second and then they stopped. Upon reaching them, they're all 4 hiding inside of a safe house (whose only entrance was through a hole in the roof), inside of a closet with the door closed. The second I would get remotely near this hole, they would run out with UV lights blaring and chase me off. I tried spitting a horde spawn into the hole, but they would simply close the door. Same with the UV disruptor. So eventually I backed off, hoping they would leave and I could have a chance of killing them. They finally grew a pair (or so I had thought) and decided to come out. I started after them, only to be met with constant UV lights in my direction. Then they proceeded to run up onto a tower. This tower was extremely tall and in the middle of the open, meaning I couldn't get near them from any angle. I tried climbing up the side of the tower and spitting at them from below. Nope, UV light over the edge and off I went (they were throwing flares like mad men as well). there was absolutely nothing I could do. Horde spit? They're on a tower, so even if I did tag them it wouldn't matter. UV disruptor was useless, because they were already throwing flares and I hadn't even hit them yet.

This continued for about 10 minutes. I had come to the realization that they were terrified of a video game, and were trying to get me to leave. I was not about to let them win so easily, so I stuck around. To my surprise, they actually came down. By that I mean they all ziplined at the same time, covering half the distance to the nests. By the time I reached them, they had already cleared out the nest and were hiding (again) in what looked like a small store, with the door closed. I managed to tag them a few times with horde spit (they opened the door occasionally to hit me with their UV lights) but they would simply close the door until it was over. Long story short, they hid in the room for a few minutes and then proceeded to clear out the nests one by one, as I sit helplessly on the rooftops as they constantly shone their UV lights directly at me at all times. I tried spitting, but it was old town... so hordes are useless, and they were throwing flares basically the entire time (even when they weren't hit with UV disruptor).

TL;DR: Group of 4 players hides for 20 minutes, then cowardly clears each nest by hiding in any room they could find until I backed off a little (or they decided to come chase me, which is not hard considering the UV lights range).

All the times that I had been hunted by the night hunter, I never used survivor sense, nor did anyone that I played with (that I'm aware of). It made the game a lot more fun and to me it seemed balanced. However, I have a few matches under my belt while using survivor sense, and I can tell you that it's unbalanced. I will not be playing the hunter any more until they balance this game mode. On a final note, if you people don't want a hunter to join your session (the people who immediately leave because they're scared, or alone) then please turn off your zombie invasion setting.

ive had people use safe houses before i still killed them as the night hunter with a bit of skill and luck

but i agree

they also need to reduce uses and increase cd on grappling hook for zombie mode

and to disable the ability to use flash light in safe houses

and to remove the ability to hide in safe houses after 2-5 mins after the game starts

also to add other zombie types into the horde spit so that if they hide in buildings nonstop theres a chance to still kill them

i also want to see loads of zombies on the ground in 3-4 player matches 

Well when you are a low level survivor I guess the issue of the night hunter being underpowered is not as noticeable.  I think it also had something to do with everyone being new and a lack of strategy against the night hunters.  But I turned off that mode because I was trying to do the story/side quests.  I didn't mind getting invaded from time to time however I was literally getting invaded back to back within less than 1-2 minutes of a invasion just ending...  Which is kind of annoying if your are trying to do the story/side quests.  Like I said a invasion every so often is fun but back to back is a little excessive...

I haven't actually played as a night hunter yet but I was just giving my experience as a low level survivor...  I watched strategies against the night hunter videos and now know how to properly fight them off and I have access to a lot more skills and better weapons so I'll have to give it another try.

Well when you are a low level survivor I guess the issue of the night hunter being underpowered is not as noticeable.  I think it also had something to do with everyone being new and a lack of strategy against the night hunters.  But I turned off that mode because I was trying to do the story/side quests.  I didn't mind getting invaded from time to time however I was literally getting invaded back to back within less than 1-2 minutes of a invasion just ending...  Which is kind of annoying if your are trying to do the story/side quests.  Like I said a invasion every so often is fun but back to back is a little excessive...

I haven't actually played as a night hunter yet but I was just giving my experience as a low level survivor...  I watched strategies against the night hunter videos and now know how to properly fight them off and I have access to a lot more skills and better weapons so I'll have to give it another try.

The biggest problem is survivor sense. It completely removes any sense of stealth that the hunter thinks he may have.

The biggest problem is survivor sense. It completely removes any sense of stealth that the hunter thinks he may have.

I agree, removing that feature alone may be the only necessary course of acton to resolve this issue although a minor nerf to the UV light may be needed as well.

Edited by Evil_Barabbas

the tower is a safe zone that they cant be killed in there is others as well ive had about 3-5 groups that have hidden in them but my patience won 

its a mode where people arent meant to camping inside a safe zone its an easy fix either make it so after 3-5 mins all safe zones are disabled for the rest of the match or add generators on the outside that can be disabled by the night hunter and that take a qte to fix

I have been killed in the safe zone several times... Totally Irrelevant...

Do you understand how to use your UV + survivor sense? If so there should be no reason for you to die in a safe zone of all places. UV the night hunter before he pounces you and let the safe zone take care of the rest.

Edited by jcks

Do you understand how to use your UV + survivor sense? If so there should be no reason for you to die in a safe zone of all places. UV the night hunter before he pounces you and let the safe zone take care of the rest.

dont forget the 4-5 safe zones that the hunter can never get to the humans in time

I thinks it's well balanced once you know what to do, also once you get some levels, but...:

Survivor Sense and as you said, removes the stealthy aspect, a nice change(so it's way more fun for all) could be to have an internal cool down with survival sense and UV light depending on how many player hunters are in the game, like lets's say:

• 1 Hunter 10 sec SS/15 secs UV(once it's depleted)
  • 2 Hunters 30 sec SS/35 secs UV 

And so on, those are "random" numbers, but I think something along those lines could work, will encourage team play and add fun.

I thinks it's well balanced once you know what to do, also once you get some levels, but...:

Survivor Sense and as you said, removes the stealthy aspect, a nice change(so it's way more fun for all) could be to have an internal cool down with survival sense and UV light depending on how many player hunters are in the game, like lets's say:

• 1 Hunter 10 sec SS/15 secs UV(once it's depleted)
  • 2 Hunters 30 sec SS/35 secs UV 

And so on, those are "random" numbers, but I think something along those lines could work, will encourage team play and add fun.

the range on the light needs nerfing as well seeing as how i could be hit after the distance of tendril

And/or give the light a lesser effect the further you are away.

Right now it doesn't matter where you are, your energy will always be drained the same.

The further away the less effective it will be, which could mean that at maximum distance they could shine the UV empty at you and you'D loose maybe only 20%.

Please don't be condescending...  As soon as the invasion notification appeared I headed to the safe house so I could let my dogs back in, the french doors to the backyard are in the family room (TV/game room).  I literally walked away for less than 20 seconds...  I mean what if you had to urinate really bad...  I have also had this happen before, went to the bathroom while there was no invasion occurring only to come back and find out my guy died.   When you got to go you got to go...

I didn't realize you could camp the 'Tower' safe zone until after I already made my original comment but every other safe zone is not safe.  Maybe there is one in old town that I am not familiar with that can be camped...  

Edited by Evil_Barabbas

Please don't be condescending... As soon as the invasion notification appeared I headed to the safe house so I could let my dogs back in, the french doors to the backyard are in the family room (TV/game room). I literally walked away for less than 20 seconds... I mean what if you had to urinate really bad... I have also had this happen before, went to the bathroom while there was no invasion occurring only to come back and find out my guy died. When you got to go you got to go...

I didn't realize you could camp the 'Tower' safe zone until after I already made my original comment but every other safe zone is not safe. Maybe there is one in old town that I am not familiar with that can be camped...

You need to say that.

You made it seem like you were trying to camp in there and still got killed, which is what everyone was talking about. If you aren't prepared to play an online match then don't complain when get killed for being afk. Quit the match and handle your business, that's what that option is for.

You need to say that.

You made it seem like you were trying to camp in there and still got killed, which is what everyone was talking about. If you aren't prepared to play an online match then don't complain when get killed for being afk. Quit the match and handle your business, that's what that option is for.

The OP is complaining about survivors camping safe zones.  I was pointing out and verifying that you can't camp all safe zones...  I wasn't aware of the Tower safe zone issue but that seems to be the ONLY exception int he slums, maybe there is another in Old Town but the majority of safe zones ARE NOT SAFE...  If you read what I wrote the one time I was ALREADY in the safe zone to quick take a 30 second piss and came back to a game that was being invaded.  Other players were crafting and doing other stuff while waiting for my return when 2 of us died.  He was in the crafting menu and I was AFK for 30 seconds.  Regardless of me being AFK my friends still would of proceeded to enter a safe zone to craft for obvious reasons...  I am not going to leave the game because I had to piss when everyone else in the game agreed to go to a safe zone to replenish supplies via crafting...  Get out of here...  I could care less about dying in the safe zone I was just pointing out you can't camp them all and that apparently the majority of safe zones ARE NOT SAFE.

Edited by Evil_Barabbas

Coming from a level 20 zombie, I have a few ideas for some balancing.

-Kick anybody who stands still for more than 30 seconds (I hate AFK players)

-Allow UV spit to disable flares (Say a guy throws a flare. You should be able to spit on it to disable the flare, and likely disable the guy's UV. It'd be nice if you couldn't throw a flare on a spot that had spit on it, too.)

-Have a cooldown for flares. There are multiple times when people just chain flares as they walk.

-Allow survivor sense to detect where the hunter was upon use. Give it a 10 second cooldown at least.

-Or, just remove survivor sense. You already have a great clue as to where the zombie is due to the dynamic music and your character's speech when a hunter is nearby.

-Make the UV flashlight drain a little faster and recharge a little slower.

-Decrease the distance the hunter spawns away from the survivors, or decrease the wait time to respawn.

-Improve the pathfinding of horde spawned zombies. Usually, a guy can just walk around a wall to avoid them completely

-Make horde spit zombies spawn closer to the victim. The amount of times I've called a horde on someone, only for all the zombies to despawn before they even reach him is pathetic.

I stumbled on this thread while looking over Dying Light. Felt compelled to share my thoughts.

I've logged in over 35+ hours playing Zombie (obviously my zombie is maxed out). I've spent my fair share of time playing survivors (maxed out skills, and OP weapons) as well. Having put in so many hours playing here is what I've determined: the Hunter is indeed, as of right now even after the update, still underpowered. The game still favors survivors over Hunters.

Now, don't get me wrong..I know a lot of hunters out there can wreck inexperienced players or low ranking survivors. Hell, against average to good skilled players, a hunter can hold his own and perhaps win if players figure out all the methods of playing the Hunter and apply those methods at the right moment (stalking when necessary, playing aggressive when necessary and making sure to use those spits at the right moments). But a fully maxed out Hunter going against a fully experienced high ranking Survivor sporting top weapons...well good luck to the hunter.

Also, when I say a highly skilled survivor I don't mean players who are aggressive, and can dodge a spit or physical direct attacks here or there..no I mean Survivors who spam flare and high tail it to the nest with lightning speed (all the while in cameo). I mean Survivors who have one shot kill weapons that basically render close quarter aggressive tactics almost suicidal. Players who can dodge almost all your attacks (if you're lucky maybe you can get some aerial ground pounds with the added special effects thrown in to immediately pounce on  a survivor, but usually an experienced survivor won't let that happen too often) Players who bomb the ever loving chupacabra out of a nest and then immediately proceed to the next nest. Against these players I am left with the following options:

A) Leave

B) Accept you will lose the game, but proceed with the game simply to see if you can out kill your opponent (something I have found I can do quite well..able to get 3-5 kills on average while myself only experiencing 0-3 deaths the most)

C) Or you cheese with your infinite spits and spam it to death in the hopes of stopping his barrage (winnable using this method, but its unfortunate a skilled hunter has to resort to this method to have a shot of beating an experienced survivor).

If you're lucky, perhaps you and the survivor will engage in a gentlemen s duel in the beginning, completely overlooking the nests simply because the survivor wishes for a challenge other then just steam rolling over the nests. 

For me, the following points seem to be the most glaring reasons why pro Survivors have such a huge advantage over pro hunters.

1) UV light Range and duration - Lets face it...the range on this sucker is ridiculous. Everyone whom I have played with -be it hunter or survivor- unanimously agree the range on this is tremendous and make it it difficult for a hunter to close in for an attack against pro players. Add in that the UV light recharges so damn fast and you have your work cut out.

2) Poor close quarter options for the Hunter - Again, you can have your fun with inexperienced human players by tackling some to death or ground pounding them into submission..but when you go against a player(s) who can easily dodge your attacks (or close range spits), sports high powered 1 hit kill weapons.... good game my friend. Add in the fact that the Hunter has no way of avoiding a Survivors physical attacks like drop kick or drop attack and what you have is one long game for the hunter. A dodge mechanism for the Hunter would work wonders. Making a hunter sturdier in combat against Survivors or increasing their physical damage would be steps in the right direction in improving a hunters chances of beating a quality player face to face.  

3) Nests protection - This for me is one of the biggest problems I have faced when playing a Hunter. It's difficult to guard a nest against players who can either one shot a nest with a sword swing or bomb it into oblivion. For me, this is a disturbing problem because it takes away my ability to effectively ambush a player(s) because they can one shot skill a nest and move out the area quickly, making spit lands that much more difficult against a moving target. There needs to be something done where the HP of the nest scales with the weapon the user is carrying, making it more difficult for it to be destroyed. Perhaps like some here suggested a game timer can be included in order to give a Hunter another viable means of winning the game (certinely would add another element to the game, and provide for unique play styles)

Hopefully some of these issues will be addressed, and an update will soon be released where a hunter can actually go toe to toe with a pro survivor(s).

Edited by Huckster

Let me start with survivor sense... absolute stupidity on the person who added it to this mode. It's ridiculous when all 4 humans are looking directly at you for the entire match and theres nothing you can do about it. 

Survivor sense needs to be either completely removed from this mode or be seriously reworked.

UV light... this is a big one. It's drain rate is far too slow. 

Spawning... good GOD... When a hunter dies, it literally spawns them 10-15 seconds away from the nearest nest 

TL;DR: Group of 4 players hides for 20 minutes, then cowardly clears each nest by hiding in any room they could find until I backed off a little (or they decided to come chase me, which is not hard considering the UV lights range).

Wow, this is gold O.o

You want the human to have his survivor sense to be removed, although he can only see the hunter on the minimap. 

But the hunter at the same time has a wallhack who sees the human on the exact positions behind walls? in his nightvision? Really???

The hunter is already hard to see in the night for the human, even if the human uses his sense. Wow, really, just wow. Its like you want to play with cheats, so you can win even more?

UV light drains very quickly. Same can be said about the hunters UV protection, it recharges very quickly. So??? it's even!

On spawning: Sorry but, bullshit i got spawned almost 300m from a nest a few times, how is that close??? U want me to spawn 1km???

About "a group of 4 hide" HAHAH and this cant be said about the hunter??? He is doing the same on his nest, and once a human comes close, he just spitspam them. 

With all respect, your points sound bitter, you whiners already got a stronger hunter after the patch ( which is almost impossible to beat for a normal player) and now u want a stronger one? 

Im already having a hard time beating the hunter, i beat him with a team maybe 2-3 out of 10 matches. (talking about a leveled hunter)

Making the hunter stronger again, or weaken the human, would totally ruin the balance.

You guys should rethink why its so hard for the hunter to find a match, its because most humans deactivated the zombie invasion, because its already too hard to beat the hunter. Take a look at the closed games vs the open games for hunter. 90% are closed.

Wow, this is gold O.o

You want the human to have his survivor sense to be removed, although he can only see the hunter on the minimap. 

But the hunter at the same time has a wallhack who sees the human on the exact positions behind walls? in his nightvision? Really???

The hunter is already hard to see in the night for the human, even if the human uses his sense. Wow, really, just wow. Its like you want to play with cheats, so you can win even more?

UV light drains very quickly. Same can be said about the hunters UV protection, it recharges very quickly. So??? it's even!

On spawning: Sorry but, bullshit i got spawned almost 300m from a nest a few times, how is that close??? U want me to spawn 1km???

About "a group of 4 hide" HAHAH and this cant be said about the hunter??? He is doing the same on his nest, and once a human comes close, he just spitspam them. 

With all respect, your points sound bitter, you whiners already got a stronger hunter after the patch ( which is almost impossible to beat for a normal player) and now u want a stronger one? 

Im already having a hard time beating the hunter, i beat him with a team maybe 2-3 out of 10 matches. (talking about a leveled hunter)

Making the hunter stronger again, or weaken the human, would totally ruin the balance.

You guys should rethink why its so hard for the hunter to find a match, its because most humans deactivated the zombie invasion, because its already too hard to beat the hunter. Take a look at the closed games vs the open games for hunter. 90% are closed.

the points people make about the sense is fair it shouldnt show the hunter constantly at over 3x pounce distance and im sure that the uv light is at 2-4 times pounce distance as well

they need to remove the spit glitch when they add a cd on flares and reduce the uv range by 2/3

they also need to make safe houses unusable after 5 mins of the match (aka all the lights turn off)

A high leveled hunter is indeed ridiculously hard for an inexperienced low ranking Survivor to defeat, but ask yourself this question. Can a Hunter beat a Survivor(s) who are both equally leveled (be it low, med or high rank) ? The answer to that is no, unless you're dealing with unusual circumstances. Right now, the game is clearly unbalanced where High ranking Hunters -if they wish to enjoy a fantastic game with a chance of winning- have to pray they will face medium skilled/ranked opponents or a pro survivor but with shaky teammates.

Low leveled Survivors of course will die to high ranking Hunters. Just like in any other game, a fully experienced, leveled player will always beat an inexperienced, poorly geared player. That's a no brainer. The issue is balance between 2 equal opponents.

Also, I actually am not in favor of taking away the Survivors sense. It would indeed make killing survivors very easy, seeing as all it takes to kill an opponent is for them to look just an inch away from the hunter to get pounced. I would perhaps humor the idea of limiting the scope of the survivor sense, or having the survivor sense able to get exhausted from usage just like the UV light (that way it prevents constant spamming of Survivor sense and people would use it more wisely). In my opinion, both suggestions still sound to favor the hunter but testing would need to be done.