Sign in to follow this  
jcks

Night Hunter: Strategies & Tips

I realized there's an abundance of balance issue threads regarding the Night Hunter (NH), so I thought I'd go in a different direction and try creating a info hub for evolving the Night Hunter meta. Feel free to post anything that helps you succeed in 1v1 or multi player matches.

I'll start off with a few things I know and what I've seen posted already.

Ground Pound

Probably the must underestimated tool in the NH moveset the ground pound is useful in a variety of situations. A well timed ground pound can be followed up with a UV/Horde spit or another ground pound if in a enclosed area such as an alleyway or inside a building. The charge can be canceled with a crouch allowing for mixups to trick your opponent or just keep them at bay. Also very good from getting kills at high elevations.

UV/Horde Spit

The go to tool for every NH player. Comes in two types: one for disabling survivors UV lights/flares and one for summoning an horde of zombies to chase after marked players.

Spits are mainly used to set up kills by forcing the survivor into unfavorable positions i.e. having to climb to get away from hordes or forcing them to keep near an alternate source of UV light to avoid getting pounced (also good for just setting up a pounce in general as there's nothing to stop you). They can be used as follow up options after a pound/tackle or as a defensive tool against aggressive survivors. As with ground pounds you can cancel a spit at any time by crouching.

At higher levels you can combine the spit effects with a ground pound to ensure you land the effect.

UV Block

A good escape tool but it's also good for getting up close for a spit attack or surprise tackle. This can also be used to cancel the recovery of a missed tackle and gaurantee you make it out with all your energy in tack.

Tackle

A pretty telegraphed move from the front but it has it's uses. People standing on cars or vans (like after getting sprayed by a horde spit) can still be tackled which is useful because most people don't expect that. Other than that I'd advice using this as more of a scare tactic. Get your opponent conditioned to dodging a tackle and then switch it up with a ground pound followed by a spit attack if you have one.

balance issues? Problem is this game needs bigger player vs player battles and more then just destroying nests. Needs more playable human and zombie classes with their own special techs. Working with a few friends on a zombie team vs a lot of human players would be more enjoyable to me. Having a single hunter mood is fine but give us the option for bigger game modes with tons of content for objectives.

I agree with additional game modes but more zombie players just takes away from the fun. The whole 4v1 concept is supposed to revolve around a team (other players) taking down what is a essentially a boss character (you). Evening the odds with more zombie players just makes it a regular TDM, and that's not what it should be about it.

Anyways this is besides the point. The focus of this thread is to help evolve the zombie meta not discuss balance issues. There's already a million threads for that.

It will probably get patched but I wanted to point something out that I've figured out over my many matches (level 26) There is currently a glitch with spits that can make things ridiculously easy for the night hunter no matter how many people your facing. I'll just hop to the example of how to do it, (need both spits and spit charging skills) so say your out of UV spit but you have at least one horde spit left, if you charge up the horde spit, then swap to the UV spit you can fire it, so you can essentially chain fire the spit, it works both ways as well if you wanted to chain fire horde spit you would use it up first then repeat the process, charging UV then swapping and firing. This makes the threat of aiming it not as severe and I find its better to chain fire UV spit instead of horde using the horde one only when it's recharged to 2.

It will probably get patched but I wanted to point something out that I've figured out over my many matches (level 26) There is currently a glitch with spits that can make things ridiculously easy for the night hunter no matter how many people your facing. I'll just hop to the example of how to do it, (need both spits and spit charging skills) so say your out of UV spit but you have at least one horde spit left, if you charge up the horde spit, then swap to the UV spit you can fire it, so you can essentially chain fire the spit, it works both ways as well if you wanted to chain fire horde spit you would use it up first then repeat the process, charging UV then swapping and firing. This makes the threat of aiming it not as severe and I find its better to chain fire UV spit instead of horde using the horde one only when it's recharged to 2.

I think I might have saw you mention this else where. I'll need to try it out after my game updates, sounds useful.

I think I might have saw you mention this else where. I'll need to try it out after my game updates, sounds useful.

Let me know how it goes, I'm on Xbox so I can't say 100% if its universal across all systems but it definitely is worth finding out as its a pretty handy trick, I've used it to suppress someone then fire at least 2-3 more in case they throw out flares when I move in for the pounce so they are negated instantly.

Edited by FierySlayer117

Let me know how it goes, I'm on Xbox so I can't say 100% if its universal across all systems but it definitely is worth finding out as its a pretty handy trick, I've used it to suppress someone then fire at least 2-3 more in case they throw out flares when I move in for the pounce so they are negated instantly.

The bug works on PC as well.

I have a bit of advice. However, this relies upon whether or not they're good with the Dodge mechanic.

Say you and a guy are on a roof. Shoot a spit at the survivor. If it hits them, great. If it hits close, even better. Generally, they'll try to run out of the way. A lot of the time, this gives you a great opportunity to tackle them off the roof. If you're on the ground, this works too.

Don't underestimate tackle- I get about half my tackle kills from sending a guy flying into spikes I didn't know were there. If he has you locked with UV, the best strategy is either to grapple away or to activate UV block, sprint up to him, spit on him and either tackle or run off. If you hit the spit and he drops a flare, tackle him again. At this point, he should be weak enough to tackle one more time or simply claw to death.

Speaking of which, Claw is excellent for finishing an enemy or getting free hits in after a tackle.