You are limited as to how many different types of items you can carry.  So let's say there are 20 slots for weapons, and 20 slots for non-weapon items.  After you have 20 different wepons, you can't pick up another one.  After you have 20 items, you can't pick up a new one.  BUT, you can pick up more of items you already have.  So if you have 5 Lockpicks, and your inventory is full, you can still pick up another Lockpick (up to 99), but you can't pick up a new item, until you get rid of something in your inventory to clear space.

I hope that makes sense.

Also as you progress further in the game venders will start to appear. There will always be a couple in the tower safe zone but as you run around the city you may see a blue $ symbol. This will be a random vender that you can offload your unneeded weapons to.

Keep in mind that most items do not take up inventory spaces. For example crafting material is fine to carry around and you will the number of that specific item listed next to it when you open the inventory screen.

One thing I learned is that it's best not to drop worn out/cheap weapons to free up space for something else. If you press L3 (l think) on the item in your inventory, you can dismantle the weapon for a part. For the pipes, you get a metal part, for the nailed planks, you get a nail, etc. This is way more valuable than just dropping it on the ground, as I would typically do in Dead Island if there wasn't a vendor around to sell it. I almost prefer to dismantle the cheap weapons versus selling it, since it doesn't give you much cash anyways. It seems to give you the part even when all of its durability is gone, so I just bash some zombies with it and get a free part after I'm done.