Sign in to follow this  
Radikal

Melee Weapon Damage Scalling Are Way To Much

from 46 to 400 at mid-late game for 1 hand category, or up to 700 damage two handed. At current survivor lvl i could 1 shot every non boss category with just hitting them at random place.

It is a sad fact that dying light melee weapon does superior damage comparing to other weapon category (even explosive....a sword that does more damage than explosive). These uber damage completely turning the survival horror genre to a hack & slash game at late game progress. Why even bother doing parkour if everything around you melt under 1 hit at random place??

Also the survival level completely chupacabra the weapon varieties and crafting system. You want to keep using baseball bat?? too bad these thing didn't exist anymore on mid-late game just like the rest of weapon. The same problem also occur on weapon crafting, especially specific type because for some reason A KNIFE DOESN'T EXIST AT HIGH SURVIVOR LEVEL!! Well why even bother crafting high grade recipe because even with basic one your mid-late game weapon will 1 hit Goon anyway.

To be honest, this system work wonder on Dead Island because the zombie level also scale with your progress that somehow balance the weapon high damage. In Dying light, RPG aspect are much more minimum (Enemy hardly scale with your progress) but YET Techland dev still insist using the same formula that "in my opinion" make the game completely broken and out of context at mid-late survivor level.

Suggestion:

-Make every melee weapon stage only has 5% bellow damage increase, with around 150 max basic damage on 1 handed category at max survivor level, and around 250 for two handed. Firearm and explosive already balanced because they also attract viral and volatile.

-Make container, Rais thug, zombie weapon random instead of current current tier. Shop also sell different kind of weapon tier, but if there is a mechanic to make every shop sell different kind of item (dead island has these on their data0) that would be wonderful.

Thank you

Even more fun when you're playing a Hunter in an invasion and you get OHKO'ed by a lamp and a Nuke'n'Puke katana.

The thing is, for single player though, is that while the weapons deal progressively more damage, I'll be damned if there aren't tons more zombies all over the place (and more than a few that need to be dealt asap like Virals and Toads), so the OHKO is more or less muted by the fact that there are actual hordes that need to be either avoided or cut through.  I'm having a hard time justifying swinging anything less than 280-300 damage just for basic loot'n'scooting. I can have a real bad day if it takes two hits to take a biter down, 'cause there's five more on the way.

Edited by Zourin

700 for a two-handed is nothing, I got a 1402 damage Legendary Katana when I used my first Docket. Granted, it was on Survivor level 25, but still. With full damage upgrade and the best blueprint I had, it now lists a wooping 2595 damage. It one-shots everything, and if one of its elemental effects procs, also one-shots volitales and those bus-sized hulks as well. Agreed, damage escalated quickly. But damn it's fun.

700 for a two-handed is nothing, I got a 1402 damage Legendary Katana when I used my first Docket. Granted, it was on Survivor level 25, but still. With full damage upgrade and the best blueprint I had, it now lists a wooping 2595 damage. It one-shots everything, and if one of its elemental effects procs, also one-shots volitales and those bus-sized hulks as well. Agreed, damage escalated quickly. But damn it's fun.

I also had much fun with 'over the top' weapon for like..an hour until i realize "why they even bother spending time creating a map dedicated for parkour-survival style if the late game progress is limited to 1 hit everything around you".

For me, this is a waste of resource & time for both player for trying to develop their survival tactic via free-running and laying trap, and developer for creating a new form of survival system that end up with hack & slash theme. The developer can just throw away the whole parkour map, replacing it with generic narrow corridor and stuff, while removing agility skill from the game and it will feel the same in the end.

Seriously, at that time i almost forgot that i could counter the atk via graple, do drop kick or even sneak around for take down because all i need to do is to lazily click my left mouse button to win the battle.

The thing is, for single player though, is that while the weapons deal progressively more damage, I'll be damned if there aren't tons more zombies all over the place (and more than a few that need to be dealt asap like Virals and Toads), so the OHKO is more or less muted by the fact that there are actual hordes that need to be either avoided or cut through.  I'm having a hard time justifying swinging anything less than 280-300 damage just for basic loot'n'scooting. I can have a real bad day if it takes two hits to take a biter down, 'cause there's five more on the way.

Well "the first assignment" quest already answer this statement. There are many way to deal with your surrounding. From using firecracker, traps, combination of your agility skill, or just bludgeoning them to death. Many method also viable against toad, such as throwing your weapon, or shuriken, or shooting with gun which is easier but attract viral. Same things occur with volatile, where you can just outmaneuver them, or throwing UV flare, or just luring to trap, or even fight toe to toe without any uber weapon and win. Each tactic has it's own risk and reward, that is dying use to be until you reach high survivor level.

Also i never encounter a mission that annoy you soo much because your weapon do sh*t damage. Most mission consist of mindless horde (firecracker ftw), couple viral and melee thugs (jujitsu ftw), and ran from volatile (UV will do the job).
Edited by Radikal

No idea why you're bumping this.  But I will say the early stages of the game are a lot more fun when you're having to balance atacking with survival.  Great balance of offense vs. defense.  Led to some tense moments, especially at night.  Then it becomes hack n' slash...which is fun, but it became a different game at that point.  Still fun...but man that first 25% was crazy fun, just trying not to die.

Then it becomes hack n' slash...which is fun, but it became a different game at that point.  Still fun...but man that first 25% was crazy fun, just trying not to die.

Hack & Slash at some point is still an OK because it's also serve as one way to survive (kill or be killed). But higher survival weapon is a blatant PROOF that you don't need to rely or craft pretty much most of the stuff that listed on survival tree & every blueprint that you scavenged because IT'S FRIGGIN USELESS since everything died in 1-2 hit (even night hunter. omg we got invaded -> bitchslaped by the survivor).

Parkour? just walk around and spam LMB to win

Gun? Your melee does way more damage than shotgun, plus it's bullet free

Grenade/ projectiles? are those thing even existed in this game?

Elemental? Why you even bother electrified your apponent if everything die in just one hit

Trap? You don't even know that they exist at this point.

Also adding salt to the wound, modding are now disabled by the stupid dmca & DMR thing forcing you stuck with your unwanted godlike 1 hit kill basic weapon. God i really want to adjust the game weapon.

Edited by Radikal

I fully agree with this. It's bad enough that I have really overpowered weapons, but the worst part in

my eyes is the fact that I am limited to 6 or so weapons at max rank. I mean, what happened to my

hand axes, fire axes, and picks… I want my gritty weapons back.

Also the gun play seems kinda dull.

All you have to do in gun fights is walk around and hip fire to kill the enemies, plus you don't have to

worry about ammo because the corpses supply you with plenty. Enemy guns also need to do more

damage, along with them using an “I don't want to die†type shooting style. Something else to add would

be, when I have a gun out when I encroach upon soldiers with melee weapons, they should act a lot more collegial.

As a finishing note, I STRONGLY recommend that Techland allows modding for this game. I want to be able to make med-packs heal gradually over time, and little things like that.