Domint

Too Much To Ask That 'x' Be Jump?

I understand and agree there should be an option for those who want to remap the controls, however, a community manager made an interesting point.

"Hey guys, 

The reason why we used the right bumper for jump is so that your right thumb is always on the analog stick. If you use your right thumb to press A/X, for that split mili-second, you no longer can use your thumb to control the direction of the jump.

We designed that on purpuse after lots and lots of testing. Because you use your sight to aim at a ledge/roof, having your right thumb on the analog stick at all times gives you total control of the jump/air time. It allows you more freedom in movement, and makes it more intuitive.

Give it a shot, and trust me - you will get used to it. It will start to feel "natural"..."

For me this isn't an issue, I have pretty much got use to using R1 to jump and it only took a few levels to do so.  I think it would be better to get use to using R1 although while x to jump might be more fluent at first it will hinder your control/freedom of movement in the long run.

Edited by Evil_Barabbas

But the issue at hand is that in order for me to jump, I have to now move my finger off of the trigger. I would much rather not do that - I'm an old school FPS-er and am really comfortable with taking shots on the run/mid-air. Removing my finger from the trigger really limits my ability to defend myself on the move. This is a sacrifice I'm not willing to make to adapt to what they think will feel natural to me. It doesn't.

if you use your middle finger to jump and your first finger to attack how is it an issue, other than needing to complain about something, I mean seriously you guys are getting ridiculous with the sense of entitlement for spending 60 bucks that you think the developers should drop everything they're doing to try and launch a new game to hundreds of thousands of players across the world, because you don't wanna learn to use a different button set-up for your fingers. I mean when you really think about it it's chupacabra ridiculous how much of a complaining whiny bunch of spoiled brats our society has become. It's a good thing WW 2 happened back in the 40's and not today because I don't think the kids of this generation could of stopped us all from speaking German like my Grandparents generation did!  

if you use your middle finger to jump and your first finger to attack how is it an issue, other than needing to complain about something, I mean seriously you guys are getting ridiculous with the sense of entitlement for spending 60 bucks that you think the developers should drop everything they're doing to try and launch a new game to hundreds of thousands of players across the world, because you don't wanna learn to use a different button set-up for your fingers. I mean when you really think about it it's chupacabra ridiculous how much of a complaining whiny bunch of spoiled brats our society has become. It's a good thing WW 2 happened back in the 40's and not today because I don't think the kids of this generation could of stopped us all from speaking German like my Grandparents generation did!  

You're an idiot. How can i put my middle finger on the top bumper and my index finger on the trigger BELOW it? Are your hands attached upside-down?

But the issue at hand is that in order for me to jump, I have to now move my finger off of the trigger. I would much rather not do that - I'm an old school FPS-er and am really comfortable with taking shots on the run/mid-air. Removing my finger from the trigger really limits my ability to defend myself on the move. This is a sacrifice I'm not willing to make to adapt to what they think will feel natural to me. It doesn't.

Dude,you're comparing Dying Light to a FPS game?

Dying Light is not a FPS game.

It is a free running/roaming game with a plethora of melee weapons and a "few" guns.

There are more melee weapons than there are guns in this game.

So far I've only seen you and another person complain about the jump button.

That means the rest of us have no problems with the controller setup.

You have to adapt to the games' mechanics as that's how it's meant to be played.

Perhaps you'd best stick with shooters?

PS.If L2/R2 is so counter-intuitive,you'd think there'd be hundreds more people complaining about it don't you think?

Edited by Zombie-Hunter

Here's the thing - I should have the freedom to choose how I want to interface with the game. The developers are certainly free to research what control style they feel is best and even go as far as make it the default layout & let people try it out. But at the end of the day the choice should be mine as to the control style and play style I want to bring to the experience. It's trivial to provide that.

LOL... Out of all the platforms you come up with a lousy 6 complaints?  Clearly you guys are the minority...  I rather see the developers work on fixing bugs/glitches or start working on new content...

I have pretty much got use to using R1 to jump and it only took A FEW LEVELS to do so.  I think it would be better to get use to using R1 although while x to jump might be more fluent at first it will hinder your control/freedom of movement in the long run.

​I guess some people just adapt quicker than others, although I don't see why they don't allow LAZY players to remap controls to their disadvantage if they so choose even though it is a complete waste of the developers time...  If impatient people want to 'gimp' themselves that is fine with me, it doesn't affect my gameplay experience but it is a waste of resources and time on the developers part.

While I agree that the bumper jumper style control scheme is the best option for a game where you need to be this agile (especially at night), I do think that they should have the option to change back to what people are used to. Once they change it, and start dying constantly because they can't get around fast enough, most people will switch back and stop complaining. The rest will just keep complaining. But some people are just going to complain no matter what.

They could even call the two control schemes "Jackie Chan" and "Mr Magoo" in the menu.

While I agree that the bumper jumper style control scheme is the best option for a game where you need to be this agile (especially at night), I do think that they should have the option to change back to what people are used to. Once they change it, and start dying constantly because they can't get around fast enough, most people will switch back and stop complaining. The rest will just keep complaining. But some people are just going to complain no matter what.

They could even call the two control schemes "Jackie Chan" and "Mr Magoo" in the menu.

So true... It amazes me the petty things people find to complain about...  

It is hilarious that those who want x to be jump will never get past the mission 'Pact with Rais' because it involves climbing 2 radio towers which involves lateral movement while jumping...  They will just fall to there death repeatedly and complain...  So why should the developers waste there time when this scenario is inevitable???

It's sad a few minority want to gimp themselves and lose control/freedom of movement all because they are too stubborn/lazy/impatient and unwilling/incapable of adapting...  It really doesn't take that long to adjust...  So stop attempting wasting the developers time.

Edited by Evil_Barabbas