megafreakintron

Who Designed The Button Layout, They Should Be Fired!

Whoever designed the button layout for consouls should be fired. who uses a bumper as a jump button? NOBODY does. who makes a game in 2015 and doesnt allow for Button remaping NOBODY.. . i've fallen no telling how many times becasue of pressing the wrong button to jump. please patch your game to allow button remaping.....

I've been explaining this to people who have disliked the button layout, this way: they used the bumper as jump so that you can run/jump while at the same time looking back (triangle button). If jump was x and look behind is triangle, it makes for a very difficult button combination to do something rather simple. With bumper as jump, you can be sprinting (L3), jumping (R1) and and looking behind yourself (triangle button) all at the same time, rather easy. Triangle X is much more difficult of a combination and is rarely used in any game aside from mortal combat or something.

People say "every other fps game uses x as jump why not this one?"

Most fps games don't have or need a look behind function. Dying Light does

It takes some time to adjust no doubt. I was clumsy as hell at first, but once you level up agility, and get used to bumper, its not so bad.

Hey guys, 

The reason why we used the right bumper for jump is so that your right thumb is always on the analog stick. If you use your right thumb to press A/X, for that split mili-second, you no longer can use your thumb to control the direction of the jump.

We designed that on purpuse after lots and lots of testing. Because you use your sight to aim at a ledge/roof, having your right thumb on the analog stick at all times gives you total control of the jump/air time. It allows you more freedom in movement, and makes it more intuitive.

Give it a shot, and trust me - you will get used to it. It will start to feel "natural"...  

Ok, but is there any way I can disable controller support on the PC so I can use my own? Every time I try to use my PS4 controller, the games controls get in the way. I'm trying to use M+KB controls mapped to the PS4/DS4 controller.

Hey guys, 

The reason why we used the right bumper for jump is so that your right thumb is always on the analog stick. If you use your right thumb to press A/X, for that split mili-second, you no longer can use your thumb to control the direction of the jump.

We designed that on purpuse after lots and lots of testing. Because you use your sight to aim at a ledge/roof, having your right thumb on the analog stick at all times gives you total control of the jump/air time. It allows you more freedom in movement, and makes it more intuitive.

Give it a shot, and trust me - you will get used to it. It will start to feel "natural"...

I did try it, I hate it it's unnatural feeling, uncomfortable, and your testing is what is best for you not me. So giving me the option to play it my way would be the way to do it . Not force me to play it your way. The game is unplayable for me with unremarkable controls. And thanks to your coding I can never play it. Explaining how you intended it to work doesn't change how 99% of the world game designers figured out years ago people play games differently give them the freedom they need to play it their way. Just add a few controller presets that give us the A/X jump buttons.

I did try it, I hate it it's unnatural feeling, uncomfortable, and your testing is what is best for you not me. So giving me the option to play it my way would be the way to do it . Not force me to play it your way. The game is unplayable for me with unremarkable controls. And thanks to your coding I can never play it. Explaining how you intended it to work doesn't change how 99% of the world game designers figured out years ago people play games differently give them the freedom they need to play it their way. Just add a few controller presets that give us the A/X jump buttons.

For me this isn't an issue, I have pretty much got use to using R1 to jump and it only took A FEW LEVELS to do so.  I think it would be better to get use to using R1 although while x to jump might be more fluent at first it will hinder your control/freedom of movement in the long run.

​I guess some people just adapt quicker than others, although I don't see why they don't allow players to remap controls to their disadvantage if they so choose...  If impatient people want to 'gimp' themselves that is fine with me, it doesn't affect my gameplay experience.

Edited by Evil_Barabbas

Firstly,OP's title is a bit harsh.

Clearly,OP is typing away without thinking first.

As Michal has stated,they've done a lot of testing to see what works and what doesn't.

At first it seemed a bit awkward,but after a bit of free running,jumping and climbing,the controls felt natural and fluid.

If you pressed A/X to jump,your thumb leaves the right analog stick right?

Now,imagine trying to jump from building to duilding while moving in different directions with the A/X setup.

As soon as your thumb leaves the right analog stick,you've lost that milisecond of direction and that will stagger your chain jumps and the movement will not be fluid.

We have to understand,this game plays very different to most as it involves parkour.

Even in real life,parkour needs fluid movements moving from obstacle to obstacle.

As I've said,the devs have tried and tested different controller setups,and what works is what we're using right now.

For example;

A car manufacturer builds a car with a round wheel,but you're not happy with it and think a square shaped wheel works better for you.

Get what I'm saying here?

I mean,if you can't adapt to this games' setup(which works really well I might add) after many hours of swearing later,then I think you should move on to another game.

Life is about being able to adapt to different situations/circumstances etc.

Edited by Zombie-Hunter

Hey guys,

I think whoever designed it has it perfect. It did take maybe 10-15 minutes to get used to, but once there it's fluid and amazing. However just to keep everybody happy, maybe you should include some other presets. If they want to lose control over their jumps just so they feel better about what button they are pressing, then that's their own perogative no matter how silly it may be.

On a side note though- my only problem, has been the remote play. And it's really not a problem because I know with having touch screen on vita rather than l2, r2, it's never going to feel as good. But with the sprint "touch spot" being upper left corner, it's hard to click that and control your direction of sprint. Idk what would be better, Im just complaining I guess. Lol

Otherwise, great job on the game and everything guys!! Love it!

huh...the OP seem to forget...this game is about survival...and using guns isn't really a smart move unless you're planning to outrun them...and when you do...last thing you need is pressing the combo button x/a and triangle/y to jump and look behind, especially the night portion.

but if they want to go ahead and do that way, it up to them. i've learned to time the R1 and even understood the reasons behind it, since it saved me more time than i can count on my night run.

Hey guys, 

yap, it does. ;)

Hey everyone!,

Just registered here because I'm loving this game so far.

I will say the button layout is a bit weird, I sometimes forget that R1 is jump since we're always used to jump being "x" but, I'll probably get used to it. However, what I can't understand is why the kick button is L1, when attacking is R2? It would have made more sense for both of the back triggers to be attacks (L2, R2). That's really the only issue I have with the mapping.

While I think the controls are great the way they are, maybe the option should be there for those that simply don't like it.

If nothing else, using x or a as the jump button and repeatedly dying as a result of not being agile enough with that button layout, may just make some of them realise why it is the way it is.

Hey everyone!,

Just registered here because I'm loving this game so far.

I will say the button layout is a bit weird, I sometimes forget that R1 is jump since we're always used to jump being "x" but, I'll probably get used to it. However, what I can't understand is why the kick button is L1, when attacking is R2? It would have made more sense for both of the back triggers to be attacks (L2, R2). That's really the only issue I have with the mapping.

that's why buttom remap will be great.

i would prefer the kick to be the left trigger as well. eqpt on the left bumper.

It is hilarious that those who want x to be jump will never get past the mission 'Pact with Rais' because it involves climbing 2 radio towers which involves lateral movement while jumping...  They will just fall to there death repeatedly and then complain non stop about that instead...  So why should the developers waste there time when this scenario is inevitable???

So you guys will start to complain and ask the developers to remove any part of the game that involves lateral movement while jumping or you will revert back to  the original controls...  They are not going to remove every instance of lateral movement while jumping for a few minority...  Like I said if they do change the mapping for you few minority you all will be stuck at less than 15% of the story on the mission 'Pact with Rais'...

Edited by Evil_Barabbas

I would like to start with a congratulation, the game is a lot of fun to play and so far I have'nt faced any gamebreaking bugs or glitches. There is only one Thing that bugs me to no end, the aiming with firearms. I did think about the fact that it was intended to mostly Focus on melee combat, the decision to put the aiming button on R3 without being able to change it to the more common aim buttons is for me personaly a big pain. One Argument Point I have for changing that would be a more flow fitting control for the ranged weapons. If you read this, thank you for your time and interest in the opinions and recommendations of your fanbase. best regard a zombie loving fan of you.