Sign in to follow this  
Paweł Modliński

Hellraiders! A Demon To Name Awaits You!

Hellraiders!

I call upon you to help us with naming a fresh horror to plague to world of Hellraid. I present to you a concept art behind this demonic creature, in need of a name that fits its sinister presence. Help us, and be forever remembered as the one who braved the unknown and named the nameless! 

post-9-0-92759300-1409579715_thumb.jpg

A 'Wrach'

It means Witch in Welsh. It fits the type of enemy it is (a spellcaster) and when said aloud in either its Welsh pronunciation or mispronounced in English, it sounds like a raven or some other sort of unnerving looking bird.

Edited by iberaider

I'll provide two lists of names, one list will be just "proper names" and the second will be names that mean something. I'll highlight my favorite at the beginning of each list.

1. Names that are just sounds (Proper names)

Gobliss (the more sinister cousin of a Goblin), Durgan, Tweelik, Sky-Divan.

2. Names with meaning

Gloom, Bone Collector or Bone Harvester, Nighthunter, Shade, Moon Reaper.

I Like Iberaider's mention of Raven and birds, but I couldn't come up with any additional ideas along that line. If you (Techland) can come up with one, that'd be great. :wub: By the way, I like the character image. B)

Something like Maligner or Vilifier is what popped into my mind when seeing the image. It just seems like all it says (or screeches) would be pure evil.

Alternatively, a less imaginative, yet fitting name would be Corvus, which is the genus of birds that ravens belong to.

Maybe you don't truly need a definite name YET. 

In a time where sword without gunpowder was used, they don't say nicknames of enemies like

"kill that Wrach" (used the best name)

A noblemen in Hell's raid "a hellspawn caster, slaughter it!" 

Or if a peasant fighter speaks of it "standing bird until we kill it!"

When you allow characters to call out a creature with their own explanation to it. It allows characters to express themselves rather then having a factory canned name which everyone uses. It contributes to characterization and its era too. 

Edited by KozWanderer

Maybe you don't truly need a definite name YET. 

In a time where sword without gunpowder was used, they don't say nicknames of enemies like

"kill that Wrach" (used the best name)

A noblemen in Hell's raid "a hellspawn caster, slaughter it!" 

Or if a peasant fighter speaks of it "standing bird until we kill it!"

When you allow characters to call out a creature with their own explanation to it. It allows characters to express themselves rather then having a factory canned name which everyone uses. It contributes to characterization and its era too. 

Those are all valid points. However, it does need a name for the UI, as well as its lore entries, gameplay wise. Immersion-wise, the world of Hellraid faced a demonic invasion once before, so the knowledge of demons, while not common, is present within the world. A peasant fighter might well call it out as a 'bird demon', but the oldest records of arcane researchers would have it named and described.

The first names that came to mind were:

'Blood Dwarf' (the red thunder staff thing)

'Scavenging Sorcerer' (Has a vultures beak)

'The Scavenging Mage' (It has a long twig, scavenged from a tree, and has put his power in to the stick)

'The Possessed Mage' (It has a hood...)

'The Punished One' (It looks skinned...)

And that is all really.

PS: Im usually on the Dying Light forums but just snooped around here :)

Edited by XxKIA-RAPIDzZxX

It looks heavily inspired by plague doctors so maybe that is sorta where this thing originates from. I could imagine this thing being some kind of anti plague doctor who spreads diseases to peasants and players, dealing damage and giving them debufs. (Maybe also turn peasants into zombies) 

If spreading plagues is what is does I would call it something with plague in it. Maybe Plaguemonger? Pague mongerer? Well something like that perhaps.

Not sure what exactly compelled me to look here but i like the fit, though the name is a little too long.  "Xecotcovach Demon-bird servitor of Alom, His name means "Face-Gouger". He aided in the destruction of the Second Creation, by rending the eyes of the Tsabol-People who inhabited that world."  Found it on a mayan pantheon site, the pictured demon has an obvious connection to birds with the feathers and nose, perhaps feet too.  That and the whole nickname of face gouger, trying to destroy creation and ripping peoples eyes out.  If only the name wasn't such a mouth full, though the face gouger nick name seems easy enough.

How about "Hexen/Hexe"? It derives from the german word "Hexe" which means witch. The enemy kind of looks like a witch in my opinion. That staff, the hunched posture and the hood...

Also, it would be a nice pun on a spiritual predecessor. ;)

Edited by Nexuni