purenight

Question About Co-Op

I have been playing for a few hours and just completed spikes questline to open co-op. However the friend that I will be playing with will not be able to pick up the game till the weekend. If I continue on the story what happens if he joins my game? Will the game get harder i.e. zombies are too strong for him to kill ( with no skills that is )? What happens if I join his game when he is just first starting out yet I am way far into the story mode?

Thanks in advance

Purenight

I just finished doing some co-op with a couple of buddies of mine. Basically what will happen is the one who hosts decides the missions. So if you are waaaay further than him and you host then he'll miss quite a bit. If he's hosting then you may redo some missions and will probably be overpowered. Not to mention that anything you do in co-op will stay in your single player version of that game. The quests you two do together will still be finished if you or he continues on solo and all the missions the host has done will be finished in the multiplayer.

I'm not sure if the zombies get harder but I don't think they do. We didn't notice anything like that during our play but our storylines were pretty close together. Maybe someone else can answer that better. What I do know is that he'll miss quite a chunk of experience you have, which means points put in trees that give you more craftable items (stronger weapons for instance) or faster regen, or heck even more health. Which mean that it might seem that the zombies are harder for him than they are for you.

I hope that answers your question 

I am not sure if that is 100% accurate. I just played with a friend. Before we started playing coop we were on the same quest. It still gave me that warning about continuation and not saving my quest. So we just played for four hours but my singlepayer game has not progressed, meaning i still have to do the same quest i was doing before. also under quest -> quests completed none of the quest we just did show up.

Esspecially when you have more then one coop partner it is impossible to keep the savegames on the same progress without repeating stuff.

Is it supposed to be like that?

I am not sure if that is 100% accurate. I just played with a friend. Before we started playing coop we were on the same quest. It still gave me that warning about continuation and not saving my quest. So we just played for four hours but my singlepayer game has not progressed, meaning i still have to do the same quest i was doing before. also under quest -> quests completed none of the quest we just did show up.

Esspecially when you have more then one coop partner it is impossible to keep the savegames on the same progress without repeating stuff.

Is it supposed to be like that?

Okay, now even I'm unsure. I know that they saved for me. I was in the exact same spot as I was when I was doing co-op when I left it, game was about 12% finished while I was at 2% the moment I started doing co-op and all the missions we did together had been finished when I switched to single player in the options. Am I a special case???? Or are you???

It would make more sense to just save progress on that save file instead of memorising where the player was right before joining a co-op game. Kinda how like Dead Island did it. People could just jump in and out and stuff done was carried over. Now I just don't know anymore. 

Edited by Sunago

From my experience, the game continues from where the last person ended that you joined. For example, If player 1 continues on and stops and player 2 joins, player 2 would continue where player 1 ended whereas if player 2 ended at a different spot and player 1 joined THEIR game, they would continue from that spot.

I hope that makes sense.  Good luck!

From my experience, the game continues from where the last person ended that you joined. For example, If player 1 continues on and stops and player 2 joins, player 2 would continue where player 1 ended whereas if player 2 ended at a different spot and player 1 joined THEIR game, they would continue from that spot.

I hope that makes sense.  Good luck!

I don't know if I am a special case ;)

however I joined an MP of a friend and at that time both of our savegames were at the same "quest". however i had 7% and the host had 8% story completion. When i dropped out of the game my singleplayer put me back where i was before i joined his game.

/edit:

okay, so i found some more information in the Cooptimus Dying Light Coop FAQ

How does save game progress work for co-op play in Dying Light?

You'll always earn items and experience regardless of the game session, but mission progress will vary depending on the hosts progression through the story. If they are further along than you, you'll still earn XP from side missions and such but risk spoiling the story. If you are further along than the host you won't earn experience again from those mission.

You can also see a screenshot with the warning it gives you if game progress is different (in this case client is further ahead). It reads "Note that only direct continuation of your current quests will be saved in this co-op session."

So i guess in my case the host was just slighty further ahead of me and because of that i was not directly continuing my (main?) quest and therefor no progress was saved in my save game. If he would have joined my game, he had a slight repetition but all would have been fine on the save games.

So i guess conclusion: Person with the least story completion should host and all clients should make sure they get a "you will repeat a part of the story" message when they attempt to join.

Maybe a dev can confirm my take on this topic.

P.S.: what does that mean for side quests? I can already see that safe houses/zones are in my savegame.

Edited by MissVerstanden