Sign in to follow this  
Sunago

Game Turns Black When I Change An Option

Question

I really hope someone can help me figure this one out because it's just boggling me and I've tried numerous things now.

If I boot up the game with something, anything in my second monitor active (like skype) then it freaks out and just shows me a black screen. The audio still plays on and if I type something in skype or use my second monitor in anyway then the audio stops playing, shows what's on screen and seems to work fine but it's inactive and I can't do anything with it. As soon as I go back to my main monitor then the audio resumes playing but my screen turns black again......it's like the idiot doesn't know when exactly the main screen is active.

If I don't use anything on my second monitor then it boots up fine, no black screen of anything. However if I even dare to change even one setting (doesn't seem to matter whether I change subtitles to on, or something graphical) then the screen goes black and it doesn't go back to the game.

Furthermore.....it's stuck in this. I have to reboot my computer in order to fix it.

I haven't even dared to try to pick the 'new game' option

I'm using Windows 7 Professional service pack 1, 64 bits

I have a Intel i7-4790, 3.60 ghz

16 GB of RAM

And one of the AMD Radeon HD 7900 series graphics cards

All in all, I should be able to run the game. Maybe not on anything but the minimum settings but I should at least be able to run the game.

Things I have tried: running steam on administrator, running the game on administrator, doing both of those at the same time, running the game from the exe in the map and running the game as administrator from the map (which doesn't even make it to the black screen, just loads endlessly), changing the service pack being used, Validating the game cache, re-installing, rebooting (seems to be a one-time fix......unless I use the second monitor for something or change one of the options)

I'm at the end of my rope here and the problem just boggles my mind. I have no idea how to solve it and while I'm computer savvy enough to try out these few things I am not computer savy enough to come up with anything else. Any help would be appreciated.

5 answers to this question

I've got our Tech guys to help you out with this. 

In the meantime, I'm moving this to our Technical Issues sub-forum.

Thanks for looking in to it.

Please give the tech guys some coffee in the mean time. The good kind.

I've got our Tech guys to help you out with this. 

In the meantime, I'm moving this to our Technical Issues sub-forum.

I can't even believe it but the problem is fixed now. I can use my second monitor without any issue, not even alt-tabbing seems to cause issues. Seriously, send me an adress towards my email so I can send you guys a coffee-care packet. Promise is promise.