Paweł Modliński

Ideas And Feature Requests For Hellraid Developers.

The problem with the vast majority of user suggestions in this thread is that they take time, and devs aren't willing to invest proper development time in their games anymore. I think this thread is great but we will see what, maybe 1% of the great ideas implemented in the final product. I have a hard time being excited for a game that won't even allow you to dual-wield while all the attention is on combat. Also, I find it very odd that Hellraid has RPG elements but the loot is only limited to weapons and armors. Why not go all the way in? Nowadays what I see are developers that don't take risks, that don't push their games to the limits. I'm not sure how many millions Techland invested in Hellraid, but you won't make me believe adding a PVP mode would push back the release date. And this is just an example. I have no clue how many levels, monster types, items, etc there are now in your semi-final build, but I'm sure you can do more, more, more. It's simple really; players want content. They want flexibility. Yet you already have the wrong idea and brushed aside any chance at a mod community. Why not be open minded for once?

I feel like this thread is just free research for Techland. But honestly I'm tired of seeing poor excuses for not adding what I consider basic features. About PVP, you answered you'd need to overhaul the entire game balance (item stats, skills and such). Again, a bad attitude. Why not ask yourself: how can we add this mode for our fans? It doesn't have to be balanced. I don't understand devs that think everything must be flawless. Create an arena map shaped like a square, add two spawn points for players and let them hit each other. There, PVP. Will it be balanced? Of course not. But is your goal to create a competitive MOBA? I don't think so. I know it takes time to code features, I'm not dumb. But outright saying "no" to things everyone want leaves a sour taste in my mouth as a designer.

I can already feel the fans readying their pitchforks, but really, game developers of our generation are often greedy and/or not ambitious enough. I don't know personally the guys at Techland and I'll be the first to say that communicating with the fans is already better than what the vast majority of other devs do with their franchises. However, I feel this thread will shoot everyone's expectations too high when they'll realize all their great (or not-so-great) ideas have only been considered. It kinda reminds me of Diablo 3, where we needed to wait more than a year for a half-assed PVP (at least we got it). I guess we will see soon enough with the Early Access (EA) just how Techland really takes the pulse of its community. It is essential not only to listen, but also to act.

All of these should be there day one on top of the already confirmed features, with no DLC, no pre-order modes (wtf Dying Light, seriously Techland) or exclusive chupacabra:

- Dual Wielding (give me a real reason why not)

- Basic PVP (doesn't have to be balanced or just do like Destiny and have all weapons maxed to a certain level)

- Gender choice (unless there is a VERY important story reason why not)

- SDK / Steamworks enabled (PC games NEED to embrace the mod community)

Loads of accurate feedback there, Hellfire, and I don't mind the flame, since you're using constructive arguments. However, there are a few points where I have to disagree with you.

As for this thread, the ideas are a great way for us to learn what people might want, and maybe get some really good ideas to create a feature in Hellraid. However, the game has a design plan, a budget, and a vision behind it, so a majority of those ideas can only be considered for DLCs or even straight up for Hellraid 2. But even a single added feature/tweaked idea added into the game is a success of this thread, and that's the philosophy behind the community input. And that's what EA will be for.

Talking about what you call ‘bad attitude', I heavily disagree with releasing features that are imbalanced, underdeveloped and an ‘afterthought'. We considered PvP, created prototypes, tested it out, and it wasn't good enough for us. Releasing it in a form that is flawed is not good in terms of game's reception, that's why we decided against it. In the future, given time and resources we would love to revisit PvP, but it won't be considered for release.

Same goes for dual-wielding. Fitting dual-wield into FPP-based melee is not an easy matter, and the end result is certainly not intuitive or useful (we also did try and were not happy with the results). If you have an example where dual wield is implemented well into melee in FPP, and is actually useful, I'd be glad to hear about it. There are reasons why dual-wield hasn't been wildly successful in real-life military history as well, as it doesn't really offer any serious advantage.

As for the mod support, we do have information from our engine team that mod support is more and more likely, but no promises on that front.

The hero is strongly tied to the story in Story mode, which is the main reason for gender locking him for players. However, female player model is one of the most requested features, so we are considering adding a female model for co-op, Mission and Arena modes in a future update. Story will still need the hero to be male, though.

I hope I managed to answer some of your concerns. As for the ideas, you've got some good ones, and some of them are already planned or present in the game (e.g. Random events will be what we call ‘action bubbles' in Mission mode, or artifact weapons, armor and trinkets that change the game mechanics).

I've given the respec idea some thought. I know someone from Techland made a post here saying they're a fan of static builds, but for many people that actually reduces replay value. The main issue with a 'no respec' game is that prior to choosing a skill you don't actually know if you'll end up wanting to keep it. I love Dead Island but many hate the fact that their characters are stuck with skills they don't want, forever.

So to get to the point I propose a partial respec system.

As for the respec, aXe, we're toying with a few ideas, and are already leaning towards allowing some form respeccing (either through a hefty in-game cost, or a limited respec option like the one you proposed). And there will be a level cap, but it's not set yet for specific level.

The game should have lots of references and easter eggs to classic games in the genre, and even just influential games in general. Also, references to other Techland games would be cool too. I think the coolest references would be to Dark Messiah, The Elder Scrolls, Dead Island, and Half-Life. This is, of course, just my opinion and i dont really expect any of that stuff

1. STORY mode gender lock I understand but don't like. I will most likely skip this part of game if I buy it.

2. MISSION mode Co-op should NOT be gender or race locked.

3. ARENA mode Co-op should NOT be gender or race locked.

My dream is to play this game MISSION and ARENA as a dark skin female. :)

I HOPE my dream comes true. :rolleyes:

Edited by LORD-TYRANT

How is loot/xp going to work in story co-op? Just been rewatching the prologue mission and it showed xp being gained for each kill. Won't this mean that players who complete the story alone will be roughly twice the level of those who complete it together? Or does co-op affect xp drops too? Similarly, will the loot have to be shared, or will it be possible for both players to pick up the same "Merciless Skull Crusher" for example?

And @LORD-TYRANT you suggested Arena and Mission mode to not be gender/race locked. How would you suggest the devs implement this? Since they've already said they won't be including custom characters, would you just want some presets?

@pawel

didnt see you had replied there at first lol..

i was sure there was gonna be more animations just meant if they had been worked on during the time between the next video would be nice to see some of them in the next video after that, which we did anyways with the being able to cast the different spells on the same staff :P

and as far as having staffs for specific elements.. some people will complain but as far as alot of fantasy lore goes, theres things like 'fire mage' or whatever, so i dont see an issue with it its just a different setup

HellRyder:

Even presets as you said would be welcomed. :)

I understand MAIN STORY is gender locked but Co-op MISSIONS and ARENA DON'T need to be locked by gender or race.

All I can see is me and a friend playing the game Co-op and we look the SAME! :wacko:

There is no reason for this to be in todays GAMMING advancements , it is 2014 not 1984.

Making Co-op gameplay for MISSIONS and ARENAS it  is standard  to have CHOISES in charters in ALL game's I known of , so we do not all look the same.  :wub:

Edited by LORD-TYRANT

Here I am again,

As for loot/xp gains in Story Mode (and all the other modes as well) - we're working on a system that will allow players to join forces even if their characters are on different levels, however we'd like to talk specifics a bit later, once we have all the details ironed out. The loot, however, is entirely local, so you are always getting your fair share of loot, while your friends get theirs.

Lord-Tyrant - right now, gender lock translates to all gameplay modes, since your character is universal, and can be played in all 3 modes. However, as we already said multiple times here, we are aware a lot of players want female characters as well, and we are looking into implementing that into our post-release update plan. You will still have customization options for your character, to look different than your friends in co-op.

Hello :)
This game looks awesome, but from what I understand it will be download-only.

Is this true or are there plans to give the game a physical release? Living in a rural area, downloading larger games can take days so I always try to get the on-disc version when I can. Additionally, I, like many others, prefer to have something tangible for a game regardless.
Thanks in advance :)

I've been thinking as normal enemies just die as you strike them, is the stronger enemies in the same way with more health/armor? If so i would prefer stronger enemies with abit more to them, with some crazy armor which needs to be broken before the enemy can take damage (can't break with just continuously hitting him with the weapon, either some special spell or a some kind of trap) or instead of armor they are protected by some magical barriers either cast by mages around him or orbs lying around in the room which needs to be destroyed or killed if mages.

Make it moddable, and like a thousand of the features players want that you can't add, someone else will for you....

One of the reasons Skyrim is so successful on PC. That is all I can really say lol.

Edited by Echorion

-I'd personally really like to see flails. I suppose we never see flails in games because it must be pretty tricky to make it look right with the physics and all that stuff but damn, it would really be awesome to be able to use them in Hellraid! Not only they look cool but they could also have different advantages/disadvantages than the more traditional maces/hammers. For example, flails could be more effective against shields, have a better reach, could hit harder but on the other hand, they would be slower, maybe the players would have to gain a "special ability" or follow a special training to use them effectively in the first place, etc...

Fully agree on that also the flail cant parry(only a woodstick with a chain and a spiked ball) so maybe thats the disadvantage so you have to play with a shield otherwise - u cant block the damage but on the other hand the flail has a higher crit chance or higher crit damage.

Or you have a higher chance to not hit properly because you maybe hit the enemy with the chain and not with the ball so u dont deal much damage.

Then you can make a range for the damage of this weapon like 11-83 dmg while other weapons has stable damage like 37-58.

Maybe u can add flails with 1big ball with spikes and a flail with 3small balls with spikes.

The bigger one has a higher crit damage while the flail with the 3 smaller balls has a higher crit chance because they can hit different areas of the body / or the balls themselves deal damage so 1 ball hits the head(and deal critical damage) the other on the shoulder(and deal average damage) and maybe 1 ball doesnt hit properly(on the armor or shield) and deal low damage or getting blocked.

Also balls with large spikes (much slower bec they get stuck into the armor and bones or flesh) -but higher damage-  and balls with small spikes (faster but they dont have a good armor penetration) -lower damage-.

I think its maybe to complicated to implement, but it would be truly amazing to have a really different weapon where u have to reconsider if u really wanna use it for your playstyle (shield only).

Because i really love flails they are my favorite weapon and i think they would fit very well in this game (spiked balls look badass and the rattle of the chain when you move adds even more atmosphere to the game)

Hopefully you like some of my ideas for the flail. ^_^

Edited by Kaiten

Please do not put in a potion drinking animation. It slows the combat down and takes you out of the moment. On paper it looks like it will add some strategy to gameplay. But in reality it won't. The Dark Souls games had this "potion drinking animation that can be interrupted" mechanic. You fight, get hurt, run around until you get enough distance, drink potion. Rinse and repeat over and over again until boss monster dies. Not very strategic or challenging.

A cool down would work better. You can even make it so that the health restored is not instant. It can be a heal over time. This will keep you in the fight facing off against the monsters. Not 5 peasant homes away trying to drink a potion.

Hello TECHLAND
This is my first forum reply thing-y, how exciting!

What if there were more than 1 route to complete a level? e.g.. fork in the road, (cave, church, wherever) With each path leading to a different scenario within the level and different enemies and stuff that could be encountered.

If the player has to reach the other side of the castle for whatever reason, they could reach a split with a door leading to the small courtyard outside, and a hallway leading to somewhere else. If the player were to take the hallway path, they may be lead to a miniboss before being set back on track. If they were to go out into the courtyard, they may encounter multiple smaller enemies before being set back on track.
Could be cool?

Many people said that potion drinking needs an animation sequence but I have mixed feelings about it.

I still think that "stunning" the player while drinking potions are not a great idea. OC you need to balance the potion spamming, but thats not a very good way.

I hate when I stuck in games or it takes away the control from me. Cooldown could be a good answer here. 

1. Like the player can't drink the same potion again for like 10 seconds (depends on the game flow). The player is free to move, won't die in a stupid lockdown but he/she can't spam the potions,
  2. Also, the potions can be categorized. Like buff potions, healing potions, removal potions, etc. and add a cooldown to a category. So the player can drink something like strength bonus and a healing potion too. This is a better way because the player don't feel that he/she's limited that much. 
  3. You can also add different subtype of potions like combat or non combat potions. Like a healing potion that ticks health over time but it can be interrupted by taking damage.
  4. OR Add a potion sack. Limit the number of potions the player can carry. This should differ from the inventory. (this is not that player friendly)

Maybe the player would perform an animation with their 'right hand' when using potions, where they are still be able to move and block with a shield before finishing the drinking animation. Afterwards the character may have the option to throw the empty bottle as a weapon before unsheathing their weapon to continue fighting. (This might even look cool if the player's animation is quick. Maybe a good full swig to skul the potion quickly in the heat of combat?)

If the player is not limited in some way whilst healing with potions, then the potion button might as well be considered the panic button.

The player's health might even slowly regenerate once the drinking the potion, drinking another could speed up the process (a bit like dark souls life gems)?

Might also change a bit about the combat overall, if the player needs some sort of spare time or personal space when healing. It would be awesome if the monsters could heal in a similar sort of way, maybe temporarily retreating to heal up?

Stuff that makes people think.

*found the edit button

Edited by Captain Hooligan

I just have to say you guys are awesome for replying to the community and consistently at that. I'm so excited for Hellraid. I read through most of this thread so my apologies if these have been brought up before.

1. I think adding in obstacles that require teamwork should be a must for this type of game. (Crappy example)Player A has to hold the latch for his party to get through the gate, then player B holds the latch for player A to get through on the other side. This is the most simple example but more complex puzzles/obstacles like this makes everyone feel that much more apart of a team.

2. For players who like to spend all their points into one tree and play a very specific role I think they should have special options. If so.eone wants to play rogue and they spend all their points into agility I believe they should have access to abilities like passive backstabbing, picking pockets, and picking locks. Otherwise it just feels like you're playing a low defense warrior. Each tree could have similar abilities that give them a true character development feeling.

3. Let there be raiding. It even says it in the name. Please give us the ability to rally a larger group of people in an effort to push back the demon spawn and close the gates of hell in an all out epic battle for earth. Make it the most challenging and rewarding part of your game.