Paweł Modliński

Ideas And Feature Requests For Hellraid Developers.

Hi, I've just discovered Hellraid on Microsoft's E3 show, and i'm really excited to see more about it. I'm an huge fan of Hexen and sadly there is no game of this kind since Dark Messiah.

It could be really nice if you got the time to make a level editor. That should add some replayability.

1. No weapon durability loss/degradation. Its very annoying to have your weapon break on you in the middle of the fight and i don't think having 6 weapons on you like it was with Dead Island is a good idea.

2. Lots of cool bosses. Killing a bunch of normal dudes repeatidly is boring, we need something to challenge ourselves and get a chance of loot from.

3. A chance of losing. In Dead Island, no matter how many times you died, you kept repawning over and over. It removes the challenge of the game somewhat, so i hope theres some kind of ''funnier' way to deal with death. Hardcore mode maybe?

4. At least a a couple different classes. Warrior, mage, war cleric, ranger, rogue are all we need for class diversification.

5. Make the single player like Heretic/Hexen. A lot of different looking zones to explore, puzzles and great locations. 

6. More than 1 spell per class. You want to have some options while playing, charging,leaping for a warrior, ice shards, electricity for mage, life leech and cleasing fire for the cleric

I think their should be but the durability be much higher so need at least one, two tops three weapons 

You guys at Techland have no idea how excited and ready I am for this game. As an RPG kinda guy this is exactly what I have been waiting for for years. From the environment, to the enemies, and the weapons/game play style, this is like the promise land for me. That being said there is one fatal flaw in every single RPG game out there....Lack of content. The game is fun up until you run out of things to do (level up, find loot, kill new enemies, etc). So if i could make but one request, it would be to please please please put a chupacabra ton of stuff in the game. By that I mean TONS of weapons and armor, TONS of levels, TONS of enemies (all shapes and sizes). The more the game has the better. As a mostly RPG gamer, this is my Holy freaking Grail. I know you guys know what your doing and I have no doubt that this game is going to be the kitties titties, but if you could do one thing for a real fan of this sword wielding, armor wearing, spell casting, loot finding, dungeon diving, enemy smashing, boss slaying, character building, chupacabra kick chupacabra genre. Just please..... make it last. 

Thanks guys. 

You guys at Techland have no idea how excited and ready I am for this game. As an RPG kinda guy this is exactly what I have been waiting for for years. From the environment, to the enemies, and the weapons/game play style, this is like the promise land for me. That being said there is one fatal flaw in every single RPG game out there....Lack of content. The game is fun up until you run out of things to do (level up, find loot, kill new enemies, etc). So if i could make but one request, it would be to please please please put a chupacabra ton of stuff in the game. By that I mean TONS of weapons and armor, TONS of levels, TONS of enemies (all shapes and sizes). The more the game has the better. As a mostly RPG gamer, this is my Holy freaking Grail. I know you guys know what your doing and I have no doubt that this game is going to be the kitties titties, but if you could do one thing for a real fan of this sword wielding, armor wearing, spell casting, loot finding, dungeon diving, enemy smashing, boss slaying, character building, chupacabra kick chupacabra genre. Just please..... make it last. 

Thanks guys. 

My bad I didn't know swearing was a no no on here

First of all. Thank you guys for promise of great game, this days is more than other can offer. Mostly my suggestions was previously mentioned, but I still want to share them.

1) Overpassing shields. It's not fun, when some darn skeleton hide behind small wooden buckler, and your giant hammer just bounce off it. But when you can go crouch and broke his legs under shield - it's fun, enjoyable and bring some interesting tactics. Tldr: shields are not force field, and cover limited area.

2) Replayability and difficulty. Good action Diablo-like-RPG is all about replaying. And as far I can see, you already implement some nice features, like mission and arenas. But also really nice would be something like NG+ mode, where u can face new enemies or at least experience new abilities from old ones. It's really good tool to adjust difficulty - look how players deal with uncommon enemies (as example let's take summon type mage, in close combat he probably as good as dead, and relay on creatures, but on ng + he can learn something like blinding nova, which don't make him beefy fighter, but let escape from straight attack). Tldr: new enemy abilities is much better than just healthy dudes.

3) Characteristics respec, seriously just add it.

4) Death punishment, when I die in dark souls, diablo 2 - I made mistake and face consequences, either I must retrieve full inventory or just all "currency", when I die in dead island - nah, just keep going. Best decision for penalty is leave on place where you die half of all your money and one random piece of equipment.

@Michal

The idea of “higher difficulty = better loot†is a good one. It might get people to really bump up the difficulty just to get that awesome armour (and bragging rights in multiplayer). Would better loot make you guys increase the difficulty?

Yes, i think lots people would increase the difficulty if the loot was a lot better, and not just like 0.1% increase in stats, people love loot and the sytle of loot as much as they love searching dungeons for it, maybe, even have items that only drop on certain difficulty levels along with diffrent style of items, giving people that nudge to actually try diffrent levels

also

Wiwi also touched on this - Map Editor

was thinking of Map editor for people creating there own dungeons for people to explore? Neverwinter Online had great dungeon/map making community that kept the game fresh with constant diffrent maps and stuff to do - probably way out there but would be nice see maybe later down the line

McVine - 3) Characteristics respec, seriously just add it.

also this, hate it when you cannot just respec, dont use any gimmic to try and punish people, just let the gamer change on the fly when they want without penalties, we like testing out diffrent stuff or changing to one spec after another on the fly when playing

Death Penalty - XP loss, Money loss, Durability loss, maybe have it randomised or have maybe all three, ha ha... Demon Souls also had good one when you die restart back at the save point, and mobs have re spawned, only problem with this with people that just want have fun could be annoying for them, guess you guys could test out diffrent styles and we could try it out on ealry access

Before I start, I would like to apologise for my poor english.

I would like to support the Sniperyeti's elaborated idea about level dificulty and the "balancing"

1. In regards to different skill levels between players, I can think of a couple of ways of accommodating this. I think the key issue is one of participation - the group should be able to pick a difficulty level they have agreed on, and issues will only really arise where content is too hard for lower level players to effectively participate in the co-op experience. If the group of friends is one who simply want to take a couple of high level characters into low level content and smash it all then balance shouldn't really be a problem - it's not what they're looking for. The only note of caution I would sound on that point is regarding matchmaking - you probably don't want to allow people to drag high level friends into public games and ruin the experience for others they don't know.

With the open skill tree, certain roles might allow for greater participation for players with lower gear than the level might require: a mage with disabling moves they can throw from the rear, or a pure-tank build who is going to do effectively no damage but is capable of surviving higher level content. By being lenient with re-spec opportunities you could encourage players to shift around figuring out what is most useful to play with their friends, as opposed to their favourite build for more level-appropriate content in single player, for example. On the other hand, you could try to encourage enemy 'packs' of mixed difficulty - having plenty of low level skeletons etc which even a low level player can usefully deal with, while tougher enemies are left to their higher level friends. This should leave everyone with an engaging way to participate. You've also mentioned environmental traps and effects several times in descriptions of the game. These could provide a source of effective participation which is not tied to gear or experience, and if important enough to the completion of a challenge should be taken as more than token participation (e.g. 'we need to drop this anvil on the leader at this exact moment to knock him out of the fight'). I think if a low level player has ways they can meaningfully contribute, enemies mixed into a melee which they can hope to fight, and the occasional moment where the focus is on their actions, the game should remain thoroughly enjoyable for them.

Finally, there's always the option of allowing players a number of characters tied to their account. Quite besides the above methods of ensuring participation, I would appreciate the potential to have a level 10 character I play with a certain friend, a separate level 30 character who I play with a bunch of others more into gaming, and my level 70 solo character who I play when no one else is on and represents far too much time sunk into the game.

You may call me chupacabra, but I (as a newbie player) would rather play a harder level with a stronger friend, than having him with me in a sandbox level, with him massacrating everything that moves while I try to catch something. This would be a bit more realistic (I think), not everybody is equally strong; there's the strong and there's the weak and some are in between. The same works for the enemy (I am refering to the "mixing" the enemy idea).

Now I have a question (and therefore a suggestion):
How will the heath system work? It will be just a big red bar? Or the dismembering will work on both sides? Maybe not a dismembering, as for the exemple: A big fat boss bashed several strong hits against me and I blocked it with my shield. Is there a chance of my arm to broke and impossibilitating me for using the shield? That would be nice. I've played lots of RPG and I understand that health potions are the solution for all the problens. But Hellraid struck me as also a First Person game (which has a diferent feeling (at least to me) and, having the "member damage" idea in mind, I would like to suggest that it wouldn't be healed by a potion. I will explain my reasons: this "Ouch, I'm hurt! Let's take a potion" remembers me a episode of Everybody Hates Chris which Rochelle resolves everything with a syrup; the boy was hit by a f car and she brings him a syrup. I know this is a RPG game and that's how thing are solved. It's just a dumb idea, I know, but I think it would fit nicely in a First Person game.

A suggestion for the boss in the 4 co-op:

There's a boss standing in there, there will be it's minions around, okay. But with 4 players, we could rip the minions as fast as we could and them just go and (I want to use a word here, but I think it carries also a sexual meaning and I dont want to be missunderstood in that way) team up 4x1.
How about (in some situations) we fight against 2 or more bosses? Not the same type of bosses, of course. I would suggest something like a big/tank and another agile/deadly (other combinations too. I am just not that creative)

And, that's it.
I am looking foward for the game. 

Once again, good stuff coming from you guys.

Let me answer some questions here,

In general. I remember when developers fixed something in a game and they give us something for the compensation of the bugs. Like a new map or an item for the game. I'm not talking about big content updates just regular patches (only if the game needs it). Tho I can live without them. However I certainly would love to see is an expansion pack maybe a year after release of Hellraid with content Like Zero Hour, Deathknights of the Dark Citadel or Frozen Throne.

When was the last time somebody made this kind of thing? Maybe it was Blood Dragon... and it sold well. 

Solid answer, and thank you for going into your memory bank in detail. I'll pass on the message to the right people. 

Hi, I've just discovered Hellraid on Microsoft's E3 show, and i'm really excited to see more about it. I'm an huge fan of Hexen and sadly there is no game of this kind since Dark Messiah.

It could be really nice if you got the time to make a level editor. That should add some replayability.

Hi Wiwi,

Glad to hear you're pretty excited. We're pretty excited ourselves too. 

At the present moment, there aren't any plans for user-generated level support/ map editor.   

Thanks guys. 

I know the feeling Stuffffs – the more choices and things to use, the better the experience. Trust me, there will be heaps of weapons and a lot of varied enemies. I'm sure you wont be disappointed with the amount of content we want to package. 

In terms of swearing, that's why we have the chupacabra patrolling our boards. He is the almighty guardian of foul words and bad language. All hail chupacabra.

First of all. Thank you guys for promise of great game, this days is more than other can offer. Mostly my suggestions was previously mentioned, but I still want to share them.
1) Overpassing shields. 
2) Replayability and difficulty. 
3) Characteristics respec, seriously just add it.
4) Death punishment

1. About shields - there are multiple ways to bypass the shield, and that giant hammer of doom you mentioned is exactly one of them. There are enemies in the game whose attacks you shouldn't even try to block. For the sake of fairness, those skeletons better not try to block some of the players' attacks...
2. We are always on the hunt for new ways to add more replayability value to the game. New enemies or old ones with new powers and abilities would be a nice feature, but looking from a coding/dev perspective, it might be a bit more time consuming. We'll take note though. 
3. A respec option is something we will consider. It could be a nice way to try out new abilities, and fine-tune a character to your liking. I'm passing this one on to the devs.
4. See my reply to Kostchtchie :)

Yes, i think lots people would increase the difficulty if the loot was a lot better, and not just like 0.1% increase in stats, people love loot and the sytle of loot as much as they love searching dungeons for it, maybe, even have items that only drop on certain difficulty levels along with diffrent style of items, giving people that nudge to actually try diffrent levels

also

Wiwi also touched on this - Map Editor

also this, hate it when you cannot just respec, dont use any gimmic to try and punish people, just let the gamer change on the fly when they want without penalties, we like testing out diffrent stuff or changing to one spec after another on the fly when playing

Death Penalty

I'll pass on the “higher difficulty = better loot†idea to the rest of the team as it has value to it. No promises on final implementation though :)

In terms of Map Editor, it isn't something we are considering to implement, but since we got a bit of interest about it from you guys, it is worth mentioning to the devs. 

Death Penalty – that's a tough one. We know that there will be a lot of gamers out there who want to have a challenging experience, but like you mentioned, it might be annoying for beginners and casual gamers. It's something that might be implemented as part of the difficulty balance setting. How does the rest of you guys feel about this idea?

Before I start, I would like to apologise for my poor english.

I would like to support the Sniperyeti's elaborated idea about level dificulty and the "balancing"

You may call me chupacabra, but I (as a newbie player) would rather play a harder level with a stronger friend, than having him with me in a sandbox level, with him massacrating everything that moves while I try to catch something. This would be a bit more realistic (I think), not everybody is equally strong; there's the strong and there's the weak and some are in between. The same works for the enemy (I am refering to the "mixing" the enemy idea).

Now I have a question (and therefore a suggestion):
How will the heath system work? It will be just a big red bar? Or the dismembering will work on both sides? Maybe not a dismembering, as for the exemple: A big fat boss bashed several strong hits against me and I blocked it with my shield. Is there a chance of my arm to broke and impossibilitating me for using the shield? That would be nice. I've played lots of RPG and I understand that health potions are the solution for all the problens. But Hellraid struck me as also a First Person game (which has a diferent feeling (at least to me) and, having the "member damage" idea in mind, I would like to suggest that it wouldn't be healed by a potion. I will explain my reasons: this "Ouch, I'm hurt! Let's take a potion" remembers me a episode of Everybody Hates Chris which Rochelle resolves everything with a syrup; the boy was hit by a f car and she brings him a syrup. I know this is a RPG game and that's how thing are solved. It's just a dumb idea, I know, but I think it would fit nicely in a First Person game.

A suggestion for the boss in the 4 co-op:

There's a boss standing in there, there will be it's minions around, okay. But with 4 players, we could rip the minions as fast as we could and them just go and (I want to use a word here, but I think it carries also a sexual meaning and I dont want to be missunderstood in that way) team up 4x1.
How about (in some situations) we fight against 2 or more bosses? Not the same type of bosses, of course. I would suggest something like a big/tank and another agile/deadly (other combinations too. I am just not that creative)

And, that's it.
I am looking foward for the game. 

First of all, your English is good eduardofs – we read you loud and clear. 

It's good that you told us your thoughts about difficulty in co-op – it's comments like these that will help us make a better game. The difficulty balance is a very important factor to get right, so the more comments like yours the better. We took your feelings and idea on board.

I know what you mean about regenerating health – drinking a potion to grow a new leg is something that might stretch the realms of realism (unless it's Rochelle's syrup – that stuff works on everything). The hard part here is to not sacrifice realism for awesome gameplay – we do want an exciting FPP slasher, where action comes at you from every corner. I'll pass on the info though. And further details on health will be released closer to the release date.

And thanks for your boss fight suggestion – we always want to hear these type of ideas.

Keep those comments coming guys!

4. That is a good solid idea. Something that would definitely add more to the playability of Hellraid, and make it more fun. Can you maybe think of a few examples – would love to hear more on this topic.

Sure.

Example 1:

There are 2 mage like characters for example. They cast different kinds of magic. Player1 casts some kind of lightning spell and Player2 cast some fire like spell on the enemy. Now we can call itt a "combo cast" and creates an effect on the enemy like melee weapons does 25% more damage on it for a brief amount of time (like 5 sec or so). It would be nice to use this in a boss fight. 

Example 2: 

Player1 casts fire Player2 cast some shadow/dark/blood or some kind of magic which triggers a different kind of effect. When the enemy dies It exploes damaging all the enemies around like in Bloodlines with the Thaumaturgy discipline. Video here:

Example 3:

Player1 cast an ice beam, Player2 casts a force ball or something on the target. The ball explodes as reached the ice beam and all the enemies got frozen within a rage. 

There are many more opportunities in this kind of system. Like comboing spells on a friendly target, or on hazardous environments. But if you decide to put this into the game only on enemies then i'm happy. It adds more variety to the gameplay and support characters could be more useful.

How do you like this?

Death Penalty – that's a tough one. We know that there will be a lot of gamers out there who want to have a challenging experience, but like you mentioned, it might be annoying for beginners and casual gamers. It's something that might be implemented as part of the difficulty balance setting. How does the rest of you guys feel about this idea?

As I mentioned before - new game plus / competition mode. When you finish game for first time, it's unlock additional setting in new game menu. Like, I just install game, and click on ''New Game'', game just begin. But when I finish story, and click on new game again, I can choose from various difficulty settings - "normal - story and difficulty as it designed for average casual gamer - no serious death punishment - standard loot"; "Hard - challenge for skilled players - serious money and item durability loss after dying - better loot"; " insane - tough and smart enemies, less potion, harder everything - dying cause losing half of all money and leave you entire inventory on deathspot - perfect loot"; "true hero - almost impossible - permanent lose of all equipped items and 75% of money after death - best of possible loot, with some unique examples restricted to this difficulty". And what's important - players should be able change this at any point, because under/overestimation ourselves is part of people's nature.

And last but not least, after some time players surely figure out every boss "drop list" and start raiding that bosses, to get these shiny legendary items. And it's part of gameplay, you shouldn't punish us for that. In that case best solution - add quest selection for higher difficulties. Players find one or another way to raid bosses, but if only challenging part of this - is 3-4 hours of traveling through game to one particular enemy... well, that's what I call pure design. Instead making this raiding hard, make this boss harder. Tldr: best replayability is controlled one. Allow players to replay parts what he's like, do not force them to experience all over again and again.

dunno what other npc monsters you are gonna have but i was just looking at my old films

Npc Monsters

Scorpions
Clash of the Titans (1981) - Huge and small scorpions

Medusa
Clash of the Titans (1981) - She could be sort boss, that has gaze that you need to avoid say behind
                                            pillars, also she has huge bow that could pin the player to the spot before  
                                            trying finish them of with more arrows or her gaze, maybe have tail swing to
                                            knock players back

Dioskilos
Clash of the Titans (1981) - two headed wolf, another mini boss maybe that you need kill both the heads
                                             to take it down

Guardian of the Shrine
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) - sabre tooth tiger, very powerful and could have leap about moves
                                                                 before trying pounce on player and bite/gnaw

Troglodyte
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) - melee fighter could have few as packs

Minoton
Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger (1977) - steel giant Minoton, melee dmg, slow movement, heavy attacks

Centaur
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)     - horse man, charge attack, melee attack fast

Kali
The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974)     - Stone giant with multiple attacks, fast melee, medium movement

Hydra
Jason and the Argonauts (1963)         - multiple headead melee attacks, and tail snare, slow movement

Harpies
Jason and the Argonauts (1963)         - flying melee attacks

Serpent Woman
The 7th Voyage of Sinbad (1958)        - maybe have them as casters

Werewolf                               - mini boss fighting npc human, that chnages to wolf half way through
                                                fight, then has better agility to move about

medieval trolls                        - just need trolls in it... ha ha ha..

anyway just some random npc mobs stuff was looking at

@McVine love the idea of new game plus++ also being able to run certain areas

@MIchal, been wondering are the dungeons randomly generated? or do they stay the same each run through, accept if you do higher difficulty or new game plus++ then the npc might change based on the level difficulty?

Hi developers,

This is my first post. My name is Toni, I'm a Spanish PC Gamer, and I'm really interested in Hellraid project.

I think your project is original.. far of those generic games, wich are all the same, Hellraid is about a world of darkness and fear. I really like this kind of ambientation.

I want to propose to you some ideas;

I think you would make a more open-game, like Dead Island or Dying Light, and work more in the history. A good history for singleplayer will be amazing, because this kind of games is unusual. I don't know many games about this world of darkness.

When I saw this game, I remember Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, and Van Helsing. I love these films, you should see it and take elements for the game.

Enemies like Werewolf and Vampires will be good for the game. Medusa too, Hydra, Jack Lantern..

The most important thing I recomended for you, is VIRTUAL REALITY SUPPORT.

I think VR is the future, and this game is PERFECT for Virtual Reality; it would be amazing on Oculus Rift, and you can get a very good oportunity if you announce the game with Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus compability, a lot of people would have more interest on the game. Is made on first person camera, and the ambient is perfect for a good VR experience.

Please, you have to make this game compatible with Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus. With a patch including, but VR support, please.

Don't forget the history please.. is the most important thing. There is no games in the market with this kind of ambientation, history.. you can make a great game if you work good on the history, singleplayer, not only a "kill-kill game" or "multiplayer game for kill on the arena"

Sorry for my english, but I hope you understand me.

Goodbye!

I'm liking ALL the suggestions. B)

Seeing as everyone's taking combat so seriously and the fact that there won't be a weapon degradation system, how about Weapon's Getting Stuck?

You know that screen to "Break In a Door" (in Dead Island and Riptide) when you try to catch it in the middle (with the mouse) so it opens first try? And you get 3 attempts?

How about there's a chance for our weapon to get stuck in the enemy's body or head? It's realistic, swords get wedged in bone even if they are sharp, or a blunt weapon might get jammed or tangled in armour restricting it's use.

When the weapon is "stuck" you must "unstick it" by "pulling it out", you get the corresponding interaction to breaking in doors.

The percentage % could be very low (for a weapon to stick) but when it does happen it changes the fight completely. You can try to pull it out (but you can't defend while you are doing this) or you can leave it in and attack with a different weapon. And hope the enemy doesn't try to flee with your weapon!

I think it just makes for an unexpected surprise. Something you don't account for and you need to adjust-to if you want to win. And it adds a sense of uncertainty to every fight.

How unlucky would you have to be to get two weapons stuck in a demons skull and he's still attacking? Plus you could get some very funny animations (cut scenes) with weapons wedged in heads, groins, chest etc.

MOVEMENT

Movement is so customary in games these days, it's always the same thing... Walk, Run, Jump, Strafe, Crouch, Slide, Roll. As we gain more experience we get quicker, it costs less stamina, we can jump farther etc. It's always the same thing. What about boosting movement even further? Some sort of special tactical repositioning.

Shadow Warrior 2013 did it right, it has a function called Dash, when you rush quickly for a moment. It's extremely useful when dodging attacks.

Here's one idea...

Latch Onto - you grab an enemy and use them for a shield (was used by Hell-biker enemies in Painkiller). You hold them like an MMA fighter when they do a rear-naked choke. Any attacks coming at you automatically do damage to them until they die, then you discard them.

This is probably unrealistic, but an SDK for the PC version would be incredible. Modders keep games alive way past their normal shelf life, though I'm not sure if it would work very well in a drop in/out co-op game such as this. If not a full blown SDK then maybe just a simple map editor similar to FarCry 3's.

Being someone with more than 3 friends, I'd appreciate the being able to have more than 4 player multiplayer, even if it was for a more specific game type, of which I also have suggestions:

An actual raid of Hell, treated like the epic encounters often in MMOs. Exploring castles or towns that have been fully transformed into Hell, where you fight immense encounters meant for at least 4 players. Amping up health and damage could be a simple answer, but adding in specific enemy attack patterns, or having to use the environment to weaken or deal damage to the 'boss' could add a lot of needed team play should you have 6 or 8 players to coordinate.

Team PvP. You could treat it as groups of survivors trying to slaughter one another for their gear, or add hellish effects to one team and play them off as warriors of Hell. Winners could gain special loot, or perhaps gain copies of the top piece of gear from each player on the enemy team? Though that could be abused to saturate the community with Epic Lootzâ„¢. Add in neutral AI enemies to spice things up.

Competative Arena, two teams fight the constantly spewing threats of Hell. Winners could be decided by last team standing (though that could last a really long time), most AI kills after a time limit, or even allow PvP for a great PvEvP brawl for a prize; Do you fight the enemy team to deny them more kills, or do you avoid them to slaughter AI and win?

There are many more opportunities in this kind of system. Like comboing spells on a friendly target, or on hazardous environments. But if you decide to put this into the game only on enemies then i'm happy. It adds more variety to the gameplay and support characters could be more useful.

How do you like this?

I like it. I like it a lot LaCr0. 

I'll take your examples and forward it on to the devs to see if we can work out a way to get this happening. It might be a difficult feature to implement from a coding perspective, so I can't promise you that we will definitely put it in the game.

Having this type of "team combo" system would add quite a bite and another layer to the game. And as you mentioned before, it would be really nice to have this kind of a system when fighting bosses.

I'll pass the info to the development team, and I'll let you, and the rest of the people here, know the outcome. 

dunno what other npc monsters you are gonna have but i was just looking at my old films

AWESOME LIST OF MONSTERS HERE - edit Michal

@MIchal, been wondering are the dungeons randomly generated? or do they stay the same each run through, accept if you do higher difficulty or new game plus++ then the npc might change based on the level difficulty?

Kostchtchie, thanks so much for that list. I'll send the devs and art guys a message with all of those movies you sent for inspiration. Seems like a good opportunity for a movie marathon night.

In terms of randomization, it's a bit of a tough one and it's something that the devs have been spending a lot of time on. It's a bit of a tricky situation because:

1. If the enemies are random, then how do you make a fair leaderboard system.

2. How much random is too random, ie have ten enemies in one location, and what if out of the 10 enemies, 7 of those will be regenerating Necromancers (just an example here) - it might make the game a bit unbalanced. It's a tough one, but I know the devs will come up with something good.   

Hi developers, This is my first post. My name is Toni, I'm a Spanish PC Gamer, and I'm really interested in Hellraid project. I think your project is original.. far of those generic games, wich are all the same, Hellraid is about a world of darkness and fear. I really like this kind of ambientation. I want to propose to you some ideas; I think you would make a more open-game, like Dead Island or Dying Light, and work more in the history. A good history for singleplayer will be amazing, because this kind of games is unusual. I don't know many games about this world of darkness. When I saw this game, I remember Underworld: Rise of the Lycans, and Van Helsing. I love these films, you should see it and take elements for the game. Enemies like Werewolf and Vampires will be good for the game. Medusa too, Hydra, Jack Lantern.. The most important thing I recomended for you, is VIRTUAL REALITY SUPPORT. I think VR is the future, and this game is PERFECT for Virtual Reality; it would be amazing on Oculus Rift, and you can get a very good oportunity if you announce the game with Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus compability, a lot of people would have more interest on the game. Is made on first person camera, and the ambient is perfect for a good VR experience. Please, you have to make this game compatible with Oculus Rift and Project Morpheus. With a patch including, but VR support, please. Don't forget the history please.. is the most important thing. There is no games in the market with this kind of ambientation, history.. you can make a great game if you work good on the history, singleplayer, not only a "kill-kill game" or "multiplayer game for kill on the arena" Sorry for my english, but I hope you understand me. Goodbye!

Hi The_breaker,

I agree with you - the story of a game is really important, and we are working on something that will definitely be an immersive dark story and world. We want to create something unforgettable, not generic.

In terms of VR, it is something that interests us, and in the past we have shown Dying Light using VR equipment. However, it is something that is still in it's infancy, and we don't have an official stance on it yet. We will keep you posted if something in that space changes. 

This is probably unrealistic, but an SDK for the PC version would be incredible. Modders keep games alive way past their normal shelf life, though I'm not sure if it would work very well in a drop in/out co-op game such as this. If not a full blown SDK then maybe just a simple map editor similar to FarCry 3's.

At the present moment, we aren't looking at supporting user generated content/mods. However, there has been a lot of requests from you guys about a Map editor, and it's something I will put through to the rest of the team. No promises though.

Being someone with more than 3 friends, I'd appreciate the being able to have more than 4 player multiplayer, even if it was for a more specific game type, of which I also have suggestions:

An actual raid of chupacabra, treated like the epic encounters often in MMOs. Exploring castles or towns that have been fully transformed into chupacabra, where you fight immense encounters meant for at least 4 players. Amping up health and damage could be a simple answer, but adding in specific enemy attack patterns, or having to use the environment to weaken or deal damage to the 'boss' could add a lot of needed team play should you have 6 or 8 players to coordinate.

Team PvP. You could treat it as groups of survivors trying to slaughter one another for their gear, or add hellish effects to one team and play them off as warriors of chupacabra. Winners could gain special loot, or perhaps gain copies of the top piece of gear from each player on the enemy team? Though that could be abused to saturate the community with Epic Lootzâ„¢. Add in neutral AI enemies to spice things up.

Competative Arena, two teams fight the constantly spewing threats of chupacabra. Winners could be decided by last team standing (though that could last a really long time), most AI kills after a time limit, or even allow PvP for a great PvEvP brawl for a prize; Do you fight the enemy team to deny them more kills, or do you avoid them to slaughter AI and win?

Good suggestions Beet. 

I like hearing what people have in their minds when it comes to co-op play - what they see, what they want, and how they imagine the game to look/play like. It gives us heaps of ideas and inspiration too, so thanks for posting yours and keep them coming.

In terms of PvP, it is not something that is planned to be implemented in Hellraid for the present moment.

_________

Once again, solid ideas guys - 10/10. Keep this thread going!

I created an account purely to post my thoughts above of what I'd like. Now I'm confident enough that ideas are being seen, lemme just exercise the braining muscles.. I will say though, I'm quite content with how the game is looking currently, I want this cool first person gothic dungeon crawler, these are just things I can dream of to go with that.

Enemies:

Mimic - Hides itself in plain sight, disguising as an object which would fit in with a map's look. One can spawn in the same general location, but as a different object around a room or field, rewarding players who're observant enough to notice something that's not quite right, or wasn't there last time. Once disturbed, it could be a horrific shapeless beast which appears in a swirl of magic, ready to violently destroy whoever's closest, or perhaps a golem-like creature made of whatever it was disguised as (however much tech allows).

Defiled - A mangled body made animate, wrapped in bandages, leather and flesh. They charge into the fray, seeking a quick end but at a cost, taking damage (or their death) results in healing for their allies (your enemies) nearby, perhaps even re-animating fallen skeletons? They would mostly be unarmed and unclothed, with crude wooden clubs and rags being their height of fashion. These may force the player to target them early in a fight to avoid enemies being healed damage they were dealt, or attempt to seperate them from a main group.

Hemogoblin - Fleshy blood stained imps with great claws and insatiable bloodlust, ideally seen alongside Bloodhunters. Because of their bloodlust, they will hunt down the easiest prey to bleed, aiming for the lowest health player. Enemies smart enough may change target to that of the Hemogoblin's for an easier kill. In an ally is on low health and you see or hear Hemogoblins, players will have to eliminate them before they single out the unhealthy target, potentially shifting the flow of the fight as their weakest is focussed down.

Rotbag - A bloated body of writhing meat on legs, it used to be humanoid but where it's head and upper torso used to be is now a vertical maw, Rotbag is looking for a feast. Rotbag will charge towards the sounds of combat and flail it's arms, biting wildly to damage players. If there are no players but there is a basic enemy (non-important red shirt) within range, plus Rotbag is wounded, the basic enemy will be devoured to heal Rotbag. This can be a persistant threat which will not die easily unless focussed on, acting disruptive to enemy lines but perhaps not proving as immediately dangerous as a Minotaur or Blinded. Bonus points if Rotbag can pick up low health players and eat them for an execute.

Spellbound - Appearing to be an undead prisoner in runed shackles, magic directed at a Spellbound will be randomly thrown aside towards another target until there are no other targets than Spellbounds (to avoid feedback loops if there're just two left in a room). Spellbounds follow typical soldier AI, ranging between wielding the equivelant of a blunt spoon to being a death knight of doom with the sword of +2 cleaving player characters. Other typical soldier AIs (skeletons, warriors etc.) would try to avoid the Spellbound rather than treat them as a higher rank due to how dangerous they are to everything else's health.

Items:

Movement Augmenting Items - Boots that make you fall slower, allowing for an effective glide if you jump off a height. A weapon which can propel you forward in a charge under reliable circumstances, such as a hammer 'slam', a shield charge or a great weapon's mighty swing. Flat out running speed increase with lighter armours, or a high base speed but heavier armour slows you down.

Armour being offensive, weapons being defensive - I'd like weapons with well guarded hilts to offer some kind of armour or defensive value over a smaller or less complete guard. Similarly, if I have gauntlets or a shield adorned with spikes and blades, I'd like the option to shield bash or backhand my enemy as part of a fast attack combo, or some other advantage such as staggering the target, I'd be content with a simple overall damage amplifier for my weapon/s.

The ability to wield any weapon in any hand, eventually - Whether through the progression systems in place, completing challenges, gaining favor or achieving a simple stat goal, I'd like to earn the ability to wield any weapon in either or both hands. Yes, even dual shields (I'd hope there's some kind of shield bash mechanic in place for it though).

Or no weapon at all - Should I be skilled enough, or invest enough time, I'd like to be able to punch my way through Hellraid. Enchanted/reinforced/blades/spiked gauntlets would be awesome, maybe magic rings to protect your hands or flat out brutal barbarism, it's all good to me.

War Drobe - Yes I know how it's spelt. I don't know if it's already the case, but I'd like my character's appearance to be seperate to the items I have equipped for stats, even if I just have the items I wanna look like equipped in another window, I don't mind keeping things for looks. I wanna look like the badass I want to play like, in my own way.

Numbers and tech and stuff:

'Luck' - I'd like a Luck stat that's different to the usual, I'd like one which increases the chance of improvised weapons spawning. Exploding casks of oil, trapdoors, pointy chandeliers I can cut the rope/chain of, the general cool dynamic stuff; I'd like the option to build upon a stat for a playstyle which takes full advantage of them. Plus, if there is a buildable value which can cause greater or lesser spawning of improvised death, it could allow that 'random' aspect to be present with a leaderboard, you can just make it that if you have X Luck, then Y Stuff spawns, no more no less.

An official offline or browser based calculator - With customisable builds, multiple classes and a large assortment of items, I'd like an official Hellraid calculator to fiddle around with, offline would be ideal for messing around on the go if you've got no net, maybe even for IOS too?

Spells as customisable/craftable as the weapons - Even just a simple system which calculates a spell's cost/cooldown(?) according to effect (heaing, damage, buff, debuff), magnitude (how much it heals/damages, how high the buffs/debuffs are, duration of buffs/debuffs) and targetting (targetted projectile, AoE explosion, PBAoE around caster, straight line) would be really cool. Adding in additional multipliers (Healing/Damage occurs over time, to maintain damage but lower cost) or effects (damages AND debuffs an enemy), even visual effects (high damage fireball caused by a red lightning strike! Straight line ice spikes raised by a flying ghost skull!) would be icing on the amazing cake.

Funny non-important stats - Since there's a leaderboard system, I wouldn't mind a not-so-serious stats page, be it personal, between friends or online. Things like Most Steps Taken in a Map, Most Attacks Missed in a Map, Total Times You Have Been Gored by a Minotaur, Highest Repeatedly Killed Necromancer Revived Enemy, Most Failed Attempts on a Single Map.

Blimey that was a lot, sorry if it's too much all in one post.

To start off, I just want to say that the game looks great.  It's been in the #1 spot on my steam wishlist since the game showed up on Steam.  Needless to say I'm looking forward to the launch of early access so I can finally get my hands on this game.

I read through the entire thread and the one suggestion that jumped out at me was to have the player's weapon be able to get stuck in enemies (or objects in the gameworld, such as doors, bookshelves ect).  I really like this idea as it makes attacking accurately even more important.  But you could also try and have your weapon get stuck on purpose.  So, when you rip it out it deals even more damage to your enemy and causes them to bleed (if they can of course.  I don't know about you, but skeletons bleeding always bugs me.). This could lead to some interesting and dynamic combat.

If you wanted to take such an idea to the next level, give the player the ability to release the weapon rather than pulling it out.  Allowing them to switch to a different weapon or use their shield to gain enough space to safely retrieve the weapon.

Maybe you could also 'attack' the weapon while it is impaled into an enemy?  Like if you jam a sword into an enemy you could then use a hammer to strike the sword's hilt and drive the weapon further into the monster.  Maybe it pins the enemy to a wall, allowing you to finsh the enemy off with ranged attacks, or removing them from the fight until the weapon is removed,.  Maybe the monster could free itself after a time too?

These are just ideas of course, and I have no idea what it would take to implement something like these mechanics.  I think they're pretty cool ideas none the less.

Now then, I have some questions of my own.

1) Will it be possible to wield all melee weapons with one hand or two hands? 
Since comparisons between this game and Dark Souls are unavoidable, why not take one of the game's great features?  For the benefit of those who have not played Dark Souls, you can wield any melee weapon in the game with one or two hands.  This allows for great flexibility in combat since the attack pattern of your weapon will change depending on how many hands you hold your weapon with.  It also allows you to use a shield with any weapon.  I was reading various things around the web on Hellraid, and you talk about using a heavy two-handed weapon to break the shield guard of a skeleton.  Maybe if I switch to a two-handed grip with my longsword it could be used to break guards too?  It could be argued that switching weapons offers the same functionality, so maybe Hellraid doesn't need this feature.  I suppose it depends on how combat works.

2) Will you be including staff-type melee weapons?
I'm mostly asking because I have not seen any mention of them before.  Examples would be: spear, poleaxe, halberd, glave/glaive or naginata.  That sort of thing.  Essentially it's a weapon made of a wooden staff topped with a blade of some kind or a blunt mace or hammer head.  Could also be more exotic, such as a "double-blade" or "doublesword" (think two longswords connected at the hilt or a staff with a blade at both ends) or a "dire-mace" (a staff with mace heads at each end). If so, can you make it so that striking with the head of the weapon deals more damage than with the shaft?  I would also hope that some of these weapons would have thrust attacks.  Piercing attacks with considerable range are one of the benefits to using such a weapon.  Being able to trip enemies would be nice also.

3) Is it possible to disassemble weapons that I find? And then take the parts that I want and make them into a new weapon or upgrade one that I have?
This depends on how the crafting system works, but It's always irritating to find a weapon that has great stats, only to find out that I can't stand it's attack pattern.  For example, scopes in Borderlands.  Don't you just hate it when that awesome sniper rifle you just found has an absolutely horrible scope?  I don't know about you, but I wish I could replace that scope with one off another weapon.  This issue could also be allievated through an upgrade/customization system.

4) How are you handing the camera work with combat maneuvers that could be disorientating? (If you have such things in the game.)
When I think about rolling in first person or doing "spin attacks" I think I would easily lose track of the enemy.

Hi again!

First, thank you for the answer. I'm very excited and hope to VR news for you. And I want to play Dying Light on Oculus Rift CV1 too.

This are my ideas for story mode.

1) Have you think on summoning on the game? I think if you can summon some creatures it would be too cool. For example, a ghost horse for you, to move on the map, (if you make a open world), a skeleton dragon for fight with you, or the possibility to transform on a fallen angel with black wings. It would be amazing if you can fly around an giant dark castle.

2) I think an underwater zone it would be very good for the game: an enormous river or swamp with dead mans, skelletons, ghost (like LOTR) and monsters in the deep. A swamp with an amazing chest treasure...

3) Stealth. It will be stealth moments on the game? I love stealth. I think stealth in a level like "egg chamber" of Van Helsing would be fine for the game. Like this:

293vanhelsing-egg_chamber-m.jpg

You have to pass the zone with stealth, or a lot of enemies will go for you.

4) A FORTRESS. I'd like if I can have my own fortress (or house) and I can keep safe.

5) A CITY. A small city like The City of Thief (in terms of ambientation, but with your dark style of course) where you can buy weapons, magic, shields and people who fight with you.

6) A magic longbow for weapon.

This are my ideas for today. I hope you like some of it. Goodbye!

Edited by The_breaker

I hope the game not be a "secondary game" for Dying Light, I hope it will be a  very big game.

I think this screen is awesome:

hellraid_Swamps.jpg

Can I walk on this world? I say; that I look it's explorable? It would be amazing if I can walk over this world and I can arrive to the castle.

I love exploration, and when you see incredible screens like this.. buah. I want to explore a world like this.

I think you should make better some animations of enemies, for example, I saw in a video that when you hit and "kill" a skelleton, the skelleton  has BLOOD! A skelleton can't have blood.

Other idea is destruction for the escenary. If you throw a giant fire ball and it impact on the wall, the wall would be destructed or burn trees with fire..

Imagine a Minotaur who is going to hit you, and you  dodge him. The minotaur hits the wall.. and the wall is destroyed.  The same with collums..

You can protect you with a shield, but you have dodge mechanics? If you dont have a shield, it would be a good idea if you can dodge enemies attacks. (Down, left, right.. like boxing)

It will be secondary characters in the game? And a villain? Can you customize your clothes?

It's a good idea if you can buy clothes on the City that I propose before.

A very important thing I think is the enemies models: In a lot of games I can see many IDENTIC enemies. This is something that I HATE, and it isn't inmersive. If I see two times the same enemy, ok.. if I see three times, ok.. but when you see ten times the same enemy... it's very very annoying.

I think you should make differents models for enemies, for example:

- "Zombies" : Model A, Model B, Model C, Model E...

- "Bloodhunter" Model A, Model B, Model C, Model E...

Ten different models for enemy class.

If it's too much for you, you can change minimum things, the face, the arms, taller or smaller enemies.. but see the same enemies it's very annoying.

Oh, for the last, I hope you will make a GOOD PC Version on ultra settings!! Dying Light looks great too!

What do you think?

Edited by The_breaker

Ten different models for enemy class.

If it's too much for you, you can change minimum things, the face, the arms, taller or smaller enemies.. but see the same enemies it's very annoying.

i understand the want for lots of models, it's something i love, but 10 for each class is asking quite a lot, we don't know how many enemy classes there are, i think 3 is a good number, but 5 is preferable.

when you post something take into consideration how hard and time consuming it would be.

Yes, you're right it's so much, but I don't know if its much work for developers because I'm not one, so sorry for my part.. I had think that they can make enemies ("procedural"?)

But that I really want to say was, for example: (3,4,5 enemies of a same class with "big" changes, and the rest with "small" changes, like the mouth, an arm, etc). I think this is much better, because when you see two enemies of the same class, they are not identics, one has only one arm (the other is cutted) other hasn't jaw...

Many of zombies I saw had this "hole" into them.. my idea is change this, one zombie with that, other with another thing.. because when you saw 5, 6, 7...+ identic enemies... it's very annoying.

Yes, you're right it's so much, but I don't know if its much work for developers because I'm not one, so sorry for my part.. I had think that they can make enemies ("procedural"?)

But that I really want to say was, for example: (3,4,5 enemies of a same class with "big" changes, and the rest with "small" changes, like the mouth, an arm, etc). I think this is much better, because when you see two enemies of the same class, they are not identics, one has only one arm (the other is cutted) other hasn't jaw...

Many of zombies I saw had this "hole" into them.. my idea is change this, one zombie with that, other with another thing.. because when you saw 5, 6, 7...+ identic enemies... it's very annoying.

Well if you watch those speed paintings on youtube you can see there are total of 8-10 hours of work / picture. And thats the execution. 

An artist has to desgin the look of the character, or the "skin" if we are talking about different textures or model variants. Thats a rly hard and time consuming work. Then make some of them into concept arts from sketches. And then finalize the arts. After all this stuff, you have to make textures from them which is rly time consuming. And then implement them into the game. All the instances, and rules and other stuff and so on...

And I'm taling about reskin existing models. So yeah you rly need few liter of coffee for this work.

Even many AAA big budget games cannot afford that many variants of stuff.