Renfur

The Shield

After further testing of this thing after the playtest ended. This thing is rediculously strong if a player knows what they're doing. The issue with the playtest was nobody knew what to do to counter shield. 

You pretty much need a  couple of molotovs to counter a shield user. The only way to counter shield is to parry them by power slicing or tackling. Tackle is not part of the game though. (I added it into the game when testing offline with friends)

So the issue is power slice is the only effective way to parry the shield. This is bad. The shield has no delay when putting it away and there is no way to cancel your power slice aside from kicking. Thus meaning if you try to power slice, the shield user just stops using it and parries your power slice, which adds even more salt to the wound if they have armguard. There is no mindgame to it, the shield user currently has an edge constantly since they can pull it out whenever with no delay. 

I have 3 possible solutions;

•Add a delay to shield when putting it away. 

•Adjust keybind hold times for Parry so that you must hold it for 0.x amount of seconds to block an attack. 

•Add durability to the shield

Obviously second option is not ideal, but it is an alternative if the first option cannot be accomplished. The third option is also less than ideal because players will then just run multiple slots with shield. 

Edited by Renfur

You can cancel charged hit also with parry or switching to another weapon and back. Last mentioned gives you advantage because you can make instantly after it quickslice™ with shortened animation if enemy is about to counter attack.

I always found that guys who were relying on shield were in lower position than me. Sure, they could switch away from shield and quickly parry my attack, but they could do it anyway. Successful charged hit and stunned-state followed by it is huge disadvantage to enemy by itself.
I think shields shouldnt block the explosives 100% so there would be more ways to break their defences.

Shields quick draw speed is essential when desperately trying to counter lucky ones with the firearm. Adding slightly extended animation when putting it down wouldn't prolly harm, though. Or giving shield certain durability, like in the main game.

Edited by Bub

13 minutes ago, Bub said:

You can cancel charged hit also with parry or switching to another weapon and back. Last mentioned gives you advantage because you can make instantly after it quickslice™ with shortened animation if enemy is about to counter attack.

I always found that guys who were relying on shield were in lower position than me. Sure, they could switch away from shield and quickly parry my attack, but they could do it anyway. Successful charged hit and stunned-state followed by it is huge disadvantage to enemy by itself.
I think shields shouldnt block the explosives 100% so there would be more ways to break their defences.

Shields quick draw speed is essential when desperately trying to counter lucky ones with the firearm. Adding slightly extended animation when putting it down wouldn't prolly harm, though. Or giving shield certain durability, like in the main game.

On your last point I edited my post to account for the guns. I forgot about those scenarios when typing this up, thanks for reminding me. 

Power slices can be parried so you get stunned by armguard which gives bleeding effect and gives opportunity for shield guy to add pressure to you. 

Parrying to cancel power slice charge animation will let shield user kick you for a free stun and power slice since there is no put away delay. 

Switching to another weapon doesn't cancel it unless it is bow iirc. Could be wrong, i'll test it later. 

Trying to cancel charge by using equipment does not work either since now it just throws your weapon. 

My point is with shield, due to no put away delay it takes no brains to fight someone. Power slice cancel + kick is the only way to counter shield + parry. But since there is no delay, if you try to power slice they just put away shield and parry. And if you try to power slice bluff then kick, the shield user can just keep his shield out and block it. It takes no brains to use a shield effectively, just fast reactions in certain situations.