Hank J. Wimbleton

BtZ Discussion: Duplication

This is something that has been in the back of my head for a long time now. It's probably an old discussion, but still want to get it out of my mind.

In the beginning of Dying Light’s launch people have managed to discover duplicating items. People have managed to gain an unlimited supply of whatever resource they want, and even going beyond some items max capacity. This glitch was largely game breaking as it removes the need to scavenge, and craft items all together; gaining an infinite amount of every resource and utility item in the game.

However, is it truly an issue as many portray? Now for single player any player can do whatever they so choose to do so long as it doesn’t interfere with the multiplayer part of the game. Which is where many people had an issue with; the PVP. Where people took there duped items towards and having flares, med-kits, boosters, etc.

My issue with this is…isn’t that the point? To be prepared for every Night Hunter invasion. Scavenging, while a part of the game, can be very time consuming, and tedious seeing as you only gain one amount of each item. Having to be prepared for the next invasion and grinding for item collecting can kind of take away the experience. While it is true that upon death from a Night Hunter you get flares, and Med-kits those initial items are used up rather quickly.

People before have claimed this to be equivalent to cheating and have called it the worst thing ever since many people do it. However, what is the difference between someone duping, and someone scavenging for items? Time, and that is it. Every single item whether it’s duped, or not acts and functions the same. A med-kit is a med-kit; a flare is a flare; and a booster is a booster. Of course, there are farming spots, and the recent update made it, so nest spawns now drop crafting items, and ammo. However, these things take time, and time is something most people don’t have considering the distance to get to the next nest, and the autobalance which gives Hunter faster respawns, and utility.

I have duped because it has managed me to save time and enjoy invasions so much more. However, what is your opinion on duping after all this time?

I do plan to write more discussions like this.

I am too lazy to dupe and because I don't feel like nagging other players, I play less. Simple as that.

Maybe I'd play more if there were a single player way to collect useful items in multiplayer, like potions for example. The Pvp experience conflicts with survivor narrative in single player, as people going online for competitive multiplayer usually don't want to patiently collect items in single player to participate.

This has been brought up too many times and nest spawns now dropping items goes in the right direction but if the whole item scavenging mechanism is forced upon survivors, then shouldn't the hunter have to farm for his spits and shields? Why does the hunter get free lunch? Can't he shop much faster due to tendrils and ghost claw? :lol: Can the hunter even go on supply runs? The answer: he can, because every time he tendrils into the store, the scavenging survivors yell: "Omg, a Night Hunter from Techland who should be feared!!!", and a noob asks: "But why?" The veterans laugh and yell in unison: "Cuz the next patch is coming, noob!"

On 5/28/2018 at 11:47 PM, Drakorus said:

On our pvp island we do intend to make scavenging pvp related items easier.

Your island sounds like a different game and the posts of late in this forum are unclear as to who has the authority to decide rules, limits, setups, where the lines are drawn for cheating, how they'll be monitored and enforced, who makes those decisions, and what histories they have with the game and/or the community.

Therefore I can't comment or even decide whether I'd want to participate as it seems like everybody offers the ultimate in esports these days, without backing up the hype with enough facts. Another example here is: Without other fundamental things like permission to use Techland assets and/or engine for profit or community being cleared up... it's hard to be swayed either way.

Wish you the best of luck though and keep us posted as to your progress. How much development time/resources do you think you need, given we assume naively that you have a green light to proceed, and what are contingency plans if the game is found to be broken etc?

Edited by Chickeninja

On 5/30/2018 at 8:28 AM, Chickeninja said:

Your island sounds like a different game and the posts of late in this forum are unclear as to who has the authority to decide rules, limits, setups, where the lines are drawn for cheating, how they'll be monitored and enforced, who makes those decisions, and what histories they have with the game and/or the community.

Therefore I can't comment or even decide whether I'd want to participate as it seems like everybody offers the ultimate in esports these days, without backing up the hype with enough facts. Another example here is: Without other fundamental things like permission to use Techland assets and/or engine for profit or community being cleared up... it's hard to be swayed either way.

Wish you the best of luck though and keep us posted as to your progress. How much development time/resources do you think you need, given we assume naively that you have a green light to proceed, and what are contingency plans if the game is found to be broken etc?

It honestly is going to be a bit of a different beast but it's in the same engine. As far as rules/setup I'm working on getting on touch with Techland's business dev for it. permissions for assets is already there with devtools all we need is permission to add the finished island to their game. I expect about 6-12 months to truly build/balance pvp maps. As far as resources I have a team about 10 devs with 3k hours experience with dying light's dev tools, also assistance from TRS, a couple dell developers, and a good number of asym Pros to help with game balance.

Contingency plans for a broke game? Fix the game. A broken game cannot esports make.