Sign in to follow this  
Sortileger

Special Silo?!?

The encyclopedia make reference to, and I quote "the collected grass will have to be transported to a special silo on the farm and then you wait until it ferments."

Anyone have any clue where this "Special silo" is?  I would most definitely prefer it over wrapping bails of grass.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Mr Squealypig said:

It's not actually a silo, but a bunker. It is located south of the manure bunker.

33 minutes ago, moosedawg said:

Yeah, they call those big, 3-sided (bottom and 2 sides), cement bunkers "silos" - it's basically the concrete funnel-looking thing next to your manure dump next to the cow barn

OK, do the actually ferment the grass into silage?

39 minutes ago, Sortileger said:

They should. I've not done it yet myself yet in this game, but in FS17 you dump grass in the bunker, level it out/compact it, then cover it with plastic. It then ferments over time under the plastic. Then you use a silage fork or a bucket to scoop it into the mixer for TMR (cow food) or a trailer and sell it. I would hope the process in PF18 is similar, i'm just not there yet in my play through.

4 hours ago, Sortileger said:

I found no option to cover the grass on PS4 to start the ferment process. I don't think it's possible...

53 minutes ago, gtasthehunter said:

It is just grass storage you use a bucket to get the grass out for the mixing trailer or you just sell it using the tablet

Yeah, but if you store grass doesn't it usually fermit into silage fermentation? Weird sentence I know, but you know what I mean... right?

3 hours ago, cd_BE said:

Yeah, but if you store grass doesn't it usually fermit into silage fermentation? Weird sentence I know, but you know what I mean... right?

Well, you have to do more to it than just let it sit, but yeah, you're supposed to level it and cover it with plastic so that it will ferment. Just leaving it out, it will dry out and become a hay/compost mix with hay on the top and only deeper layers will ferment, but it takes a long time and a larger pile. It needs heat and moisture to ferment, hence the plastic cover, which aids in keeping the moisture and heat in allowing for faster fermentation.

9 hours ago, moosedawg said:

Well, you have to do more to it than just let it sit, but yeah, you're supposed to level it and cover it with plastic so that it will ferment. Just leaving it out, it will dry out and become a hay/compost mix with hay on the top and only deeper layers will ferment, but it takes a long time and a larger pile. It needs heat and moisture to ferment, hence the plastic cover, which aids in keeping the moisture and heat in allowing for faster fermentation.

I know. But I haven't found those options in Pure Farming. It looks like it's just grass storage and nothing more.

1 hour ago, cd_BE said:

I know. But I haven't found those options in Pure Farming. It looks like it's just grass storage and nothing more.

Ah, gotcha - yeah, from what others are saying, it's storage only, which is unfortunate and a missed opportunity for another game mechanic.