Thunder Ice

Survival Mode + Sandbox Mode Feature Requests!

Yesterday, I made this post talking about a survival mode and sandbox mode feature for Dying Light, possibly in a future Content Drop.

That post has gotten popular rather quickly, showing that people definitely want these features to make it into the game. I figured that I would share it here and increase the chance of the developers themselves noticing it. I believe this would really bring people in. Plus, I've been dying (ha) to get back into this game for ages. This would hook me, and more!

This will be consistently updated with new ideas that will be added to the list. If you have any suggestions that would fit this bill, leave it down below and I'll add it to this and the Reddit post!

--------------------------

Sandbox Mode starts a fresh game with no storyline, allowing you to play essentially forever, and also allows a variety of settings to be changed before you play a game, such as zombie speeds, strengths, types, activity (day/night/both), Volatile activity, infectivity, and so on. So if people wanted to play something that felt like The Walking Dead or 28 Days Later and so on, then they have those options, whichever are available.

Also in this sandbox mode, it can be an option to have all safe zones claimed or lost, and how many for either option. This would tie in for the survival mode. With this in mind, most buildings that are locked off post-campaign or have interiors but are not enterable, are now accessible.

Permadeath is also an option, so when you die, you start over. If you die regularly, you respawn as a new character, which is what survival mode also has.

Settings that would be available are as follows (will be updated):

• Zombie Population Density: Very low, low, normal, medium, high, very high, insane

• Zombie Speeds: Walkers and Virals, Virals only, Walkers only

• Zombie Strengths: Very weak, weak, normal, strong, very strong, one-hit (optional)

• Zombie Hearing: Very weak, weak, normal, strong, very strong, pinpoint (stealth is the only safe method)

• Zombie Sight: Blind, Normal, Eagle

• Special Zombie Population Density: Very low, low, normal, medium, high, very high, insane

• Zombie Population: Normal zombies only, Special zombies only, Normals and Specials

• Zombie Population Increases: Yes, No

• Zombie Population Increments (accessible if Yes): 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x

• Zombie Population Increment Days (accessible if Yes): Every day, Every 2 days, Every 5 days, Every 10 days, Every 20 Days

• Infection to Harran Virus: Yes, No

• Infection to Zombie Guts (disguise): Yes, No

• Infection Transmission (accessible if Yes): Bites only, Scratches only, Bites and scratches

• Sound Attraction: None, Very low, Low, Normal, High, Very High

• Gunshots and explosions spawn horde: Yes, No

• Sound Horde size (accessible if Yes): 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 (if game can handle it)

• Sound spawns: Walkers only, Virals only, Walkers and Virals

• Loot Respawns: Yes, No

• Food And Water Respawns: Yes, No

• Loot Spawn Frequency (accessible if Yes): Every day, every 2 days, every 5 days, every 10 days, every 20 days, every 30 days

• Loot Abundance (accessible if Yes): Very low, low, normal, medium, high, very high, extremely high

• Food and Water Spawn Frequency (accessible if Yes): Every day, every 2 days, every 5 days, every 10 days, every 20 days, every 30 days

• Food And Water Abundance (accessible if Yes): Very low, low, normal, medium, high, very high, extremely high

• Airdrops Spawn: Yes, No

• Airdrops stop after (accessible if Yes): 1 Day, 5 Days, 10 Days, 15 Days, 20 Days, 30 Days, 50 Days, ∞

• Random Wandering Hordes Spawn: Yes, No

• Random Wandering Horde Size (accessible if Yes): 5, 10, 20, 50, 100

• Volatiles Spawn: Yes, No

• Volatile Spawns (accessible if Yes): Day, Night, Day and Night

• Volatile Population Density: Very low, low, normal, medium, high, very high, insane

• Enemy humans spawn: Yes, No

• Enemy human commonness (accessible if yes): Very low, low, normal, medium, high, very high, insane(?)

Survival Mode is another toggle-able option that, when activated, prompts the player to look for food, water, and a place to sleep. You search houses and can find bottled water, cans of food, and beds for either temporary outposts or safe zones. Players will also get sick, whether from eating food gone bad, dirty water, or other reasons, and will need antibiotics to treat these sicknesses. Antibiotics can be bought from shopkeepers at safe zones, found in pharmacies, or in enemy territories. This will give players an even bigger reason to explore the world and find what they need to stay healthy.

Sicknesses can vary: Some may cause you to lose energy faster, require more food to eat or water to drink, may make you more commonly fatigued, or even more susceptible to catching the Harran virus when dealing with Infected. In a way, you do not want to be sick when trying to survive out there.

If you camouflage yourself with zombie guts, you increase the risk of contracting an illness or the Harran virus - even both. If sickened by zombie guts, you will become weakened, fatigued, and may have a lower perception with your Survivor Sense. As for being sickened with the Harran Virus, see below.

Players can now become infected with the Harran Virus, and must either see the doctor in a safe zone or find Antizin via air drops or Rais' drops/territories. If you do not take Antizin during your infection period, you will succumb to the disease and respawn as a new character. If you are playing the campaign and activate survival mode, you will already have the disease, and Antizin now becomes available to find in the game world. If you do not take it within 1 in-game day, you will die, and like the modes of Hard or Nightmare, you may be penalized.

You can starve or die of thirst without enough food or water. You can stockpile supplies. Depending on the difficulty, they will not respawn, meaning you will eventually end up with finding supplies only in bandit camps, on bandits, or by airdrops.

Safe zones can be lost to zombie attacks after a while.

Also in this mode, loud sounds will now not only draw larger groups of Virals, but also draw large groups of walkers as well. Is that gunshot worth it?

Another idea I thought of was perhaps a hardcore version of Survival, in which all safe zones are lost, and you are allowed to create small "outpost" zones in small houses (though this would be possible in the normal version of Survival). You can create two at a time, and must gather the resources necessary to create UV lights to keep out the Volatiles. Once a safe base is created, you will have access to a locker that will allow you to stockpile supplies, meaning it would be best to stockpile when you can, because you will eventually run out. In this particular hardcore mode, airdrops will stop after 15 in-game days, so Antizin will be found primarily in bandit camps and Rais containers, as well as on the bodies of bandits and Rais thugs. More zombies will populate the world, stronger and much more deadly. Volatiles will appear commonly at night, and you might have to gather batteries to keep your flashlight going. Just don't run out of Antizin either!

(Concept, may not be possible) In survival mode and its hardcore counterpart, a "safe-zone mode" will be available, allowing you to choose more areas than in the base game where you want to set up a safe zone. For example, if you were to choose a house at ground level, you will need resources to create UV lights and barricades that block windows. You will also be able to craft a door lock and a bed, which will immediately scan the perimeter and declare it a safe-zone.

In the slim chance that the Techland devs see this, I would really love to see something like this make it into the game as perhaps in one of the future Content Drops, even if it's not in full detail as I listed above, though that would be nice for something close to the full thing. Dying Light already is a fantastic game, and personally, I like challenges.

So please, feel free to make sure the Techland devs see this, and if you are a dev and are seeing this, please, I would love to see this make it to a future update!

Edited by Thunder Ice
Added content.

As much as I would like to see this happen, it is not very likely due to Techland's focus on Bad Blood and the Drops. The closest we are gonna get to this is the difficulties of the game they have provided us. Normal being the easiest, Nightmare being difficult. My friend Jason over on Nexus Mods has made the ¨I Am Legion¨ mod which is like an expansion of Nightmare. AI spawns more frequently, more deadly, limited resources, more aggressive AI, and more. I'd give it a try if you're looking for a challenge and have access to the PC version of Dying Light. [:

10 hours ago, Renfur said:

As much as I would like to see this happen, it is not very likely due to Techland's focus on Bad Blood and the Drops. The closest we are gonna get to this is the difficulties of the game they have provided us. Normal being the easiest, Nightmare being difficult. My friend Jason over on Nexus Mods has made the ¨I Am Legion¨ mod which is like an expansion of Nightmare. AI spawns more frequently, more deadly, limited resources, more aggressive AI, and more. I'd give it a try if you're looking for a challenge and have access to the PC version of Dying Light. [:

We could possibly see this being implemented as a future Content Drop.