Sign in to follow this  
nuloen

Double Bitted Axes Or Weapon Bulkiness, Very Disruptive

before any one starts ranting about my english, its not my first language, OK.
now to the point
http://hellraid.com/media/screens/Chandelier.jpg
what do you think is first thing i noticed?
it´s not chandelier,it´s not satyr(that guy under chandelier),sword-no,skeleton-no
its that what skeleton has in his hand (the sword is ok, and satyr´s axe too)

my first though was "WTF is this thing"
now let me tell you what is wrong with this thing
1.it has 2 edges(nobody would ever use double bitted axe in battle, unless you are lumberjack and you are ambushed by wolves(he would surrender to bandits)who came with idea of double bitted axe in games?)
2.it is huge as F***(keep in mind that your character is human)
3.it´s one handed
4.its edge looks blunt,almost rounded
5.it´s heavy for sure, why is skeleton using it(skeletons have problems to hold together just by themselves, that´s why you see them in every other game with light weapons and that´s why they never carry building materials(in hands) and most the work is done by zombies)

i think players are tired of this cliche
we don´t need buster sword
we need functional,simple,brutal weapons (hint for developers:nothing close to Skyrim weapons;) )
if someone disagree with me, tell me what is wrong with this weapon
falchion1.jpg
ok that is sword letme show you and axe

Viking+Battle+Axe+882440.jpg

just add spike on back,both ends of shaft make sawtooth on top of the blade(believe it or not, it was common(it ripped flesh and blocked other weapons in case of collision))it is still functional, simple and if you added something i said it is also brutal and cool looking ;)

just please no weapon abominations

Edited by nuloen

Not sure if you realised this was a fantasy game, it needs no complete resemblance of the real world. Nothing is wrong with the weapons you showed they are pretty good, but when an artist has to sit there and go I need to model and texture at least 200 or more weapons It's not so easy because sooner or later you run out of ideas and have to create more cool looking designs. this game isn't a medieval times simulator so it really shouldn't matter if the weapons are huge and weird looking. 

In that image that's a two handed blade you know the ones with extra long hilts so it can be carried with two hands they are supposed to be long so it has a good reach.

and finally the skeleton is holding the double sided axe because ALL creatures that use weapons drop those weapons so the player can use them, and there is a Game master system that randomly generates almost all the things you will loot in the game and that also includes what the demons and skeletons are wielding. And there are no Japanese buster swords that would be dumb to put in, as well the atmosphere these guys want to make is Dark fantasy Gothic action. and to achieve that you would need tons of Gothic style weapons. 

Cheers, 

Edited by Hell_and_Dungeon_1994

I agree with the op but other than the silly double bladed axes the weapons that i seen in hellraid looks ok.I just hope that the late game weapons wont look ''badass'' and by that i mean idiotic looking unpractical with lots of spikes. 

before any one starts ranting about my english, its not my first language, OK.

now to the point

http://hellraid.com/media/screens/Chandelier.jpg

what do you think is first thing i noticed?

it´s not chandelier,it´s not satyr(that guy under chandelier),sword-no,skeleton-no

its that what skeleton has in his hand (the sword is ok, and satyr´s axe too)

[...]

The weapons you show us are true to what you say but answer this firmly!

How does giving the majority plain and simple weapons stand out to the audience and keep them playing? Many stay content in fantasy because of its unrealistic features so why should everyone have to look at your text and agree? What is a weapon abomination too? Is it the bad craftsmanship put into a weapon or just a design flaw? 

This is no religious house for swords, blinded ranter.

Edited by Bartosz Buczeluk
Cut big quotes like this one

The weapons you show us are true to what you say but answer this firmly!

How does giving the majority plain and simple weapons stand out to the audience and keep them playing? Many stay content in fantasy because of its unrealistic features so why should everyone have to look at your text and agree? What is a weapon abomination too? Is it the bad craftsmanship put into a weapon or just a design flaw? 

This is no religious house for swords, blinded ranter.

Look at Chivalry medieval warfare,it have realistic weapons(except for a double bladed axe that sucks anyway) and that game was quite successful.The thing is that fantasy weapons in games have become so cliché and ridiculous that replacing them with realistic weapons can actually give a breath of fresh air to a game.It is fantasy yes but it still needs to somewhat believable.In the witcher series the writer did a good job at making the world believable but it still a fantasy.Oh and that game too have realistic weapons.

Im not saying that a little artistic freedom on weapon design is bad but too much and you got a kiddy game.If you dont know what im talking about just type ''wow weapons'' to google.I hope you don't want that kind of thing to happen to our Glorious Hellraid XD

Look at Chivalry medieval warfare,it have realistic weapons(except for a double bladed axe that sucks anyway) and that game was quite successful.The thing is that fantasy weapons in games have become so cliché and ridiculous that replacing them with realistic weapons can actually give a breath of fresh air to a game.It is fantasy yes but it still needs to somewhat believable.In the witcher series the writer did a good job at making the world believable but it still a fantasy.Oh and that game too have realistic weapons.

Im not saying that a little artistic freedom on weapon design is bad but too much and you got a kiddy game.If you dont know what im talking about just type ''wow weapons'' to google.I hope you don't want that kind of thing to happen to our Glorious Hellraid XD

I am in full awareness of games like Chivalry Medieval warfare though say to me at this. Chivalry is a multiplayer game made to forge skilled based gameplay, it however does greatly entertain even with realistic weapons. But! Why is it entertaining? Because it utilizes the combat system is such a way enticing our battles. But it wasn't about the weapons they made! It was the fighting! The weapons were simple still astonishing-yes. I feel now that if there were simple weapons but we have personalization to them-it will make Hellraid a greater game.

Hellraid of course does show very badly crafted weapons in the sake of looking cool and bulkiness. I wonder why the developers decided this now....oh yes! I remember now, they made the game with a concept of some sort of 19s game which I heard through a video. Perhaps it is unwise to make such bimbo weapons just so trying to look cooler. I-in true opinion however ironic like a simple weapon that I can feel attached to and use throughout the game with some sort of personalization.

"more weapons more fun" - Hellraid Blog

Not true to everyone, it means less time on this and more times on quantity....Oh right! Quality over quantity. Maybe, the developers could have make a few mistakes but is there ever a mistake when people have different opinions?  

We never know, the game to date doesn't seem to explore the concept of quality and why people would play games. I simply dislike the ranking of d-c-b-a ranking for equipment. It simply overpowers skill. 

I go now to ask a developer something....