Sign in to follow this  
deere4955

Great plains seeder question

Ok so I'm a convert from Farm Sim 17 by Giants and I cannot seem to figure out how to switch crops in my sower... For example I just planted wheat I now want 2 plant grass, but still have wheat seed...what do I do lol ???

You have to fill the seeder with the seed you want to plant, you can't fill with generic seed and switch to whatever you want on the fly as in FS17. As far as I've seen the seed refill points have various stacks of seed so you have to find the right one for what you want. Don't recall having seen grass seed tho - only seen 3 stacks in Montana for wheat, barley, rye (this was opposite the shed the seeder starts in by field 1 in First Farm mode).

And as far as I know you can't unload the seeder without loosing the seeds from the first batch.

I started with barley and I wanted to plant wheat. But the barley seeds can't be stored anywhere. Only solution I found was to buy a new seeder for wheat seeds.
Next I think I have to buy a new seeder for rye so I don't lose the seeds... 

3 minutes ago, FarmerJimbob said:

You can’t sell a seeder when it has seed still in it either or only partially fill with seed so I think maybe your plan of 1 seeder per crop might be the best way to go!

my thoughts exactly, only it is a costly solution if you just start farming...

I just bought the larger GP seeder. Looks like I’ll be planting a lot of wheat for quite some time...

Need to find a field or couple of fields that will just about use up all the seed so I can switch grains without losing money all the time.

4 minutes ago, farmguy said:

I have just been dumping/losing the seed when I switch.. it isn't really that expensive and its far less expensive than multiple seeders

True enough for the basic seeder and I did that to be able to sell it. Wouldn't want to have to do that with the big Great Plains seeder that I have now though. You pretty much have to use all the seed before switching or take a big hit in cost of seed each time. Using workers doesn't seem to help use up seed as they appear to supply their own by default.

2 minutes ago, FarmerJimbob said:

Using workers doesn't seem to help use up seed as they appear to supply their own by default.

THAT I did not notice... that is very good information