Lamborghini1216

Urgent Help!

So I started my map today and I got an error saying "FATAL ERROR No chunk with object's class name!" and I have no idea why! Yesterday when I last edited my map I saved my map multiple times, and while I was working, my video card crashed and I simply restarted my PC. My computer has done this before, so I wouldn't think this would be causing the issue... but I don't know.

I cannot start my map now that this error has occurred and the window pops up right after it opens the window with all the tools and stuff. The 3D view is just grey.

Anyways, I'm worried my map is permanently ruined and I have put lots of hours into this. Is there a way I can fix this?

Thank you!

Edited by Lamborghini1216
Added new details of issue.

If the viewport is gray, make sure you have only one map file , cause this happens when you have autosaves of more than one map file, you have to load the map manually by clicking on documents then, load map file.

Recently i fixed my map partially just to be able to load it in the devtools.

I had an older backup so i toke both myMap.map and myMap.exp files and 

i placed them in my older backup then, i was able to load the map in the tools ( ingame was crashing after i reach some location).

So, i created groups with new objects that

i added in the map.

Then, i copied the eds group selection files that i just created in a safe place.

Then, i finally removed the corrupted map project and i placed my old project backup in the devtools workshop folder

and added the .eds groups in it.

So i added the new groups taken from a corrupted map into a stable map.

So, if you don’t have any map backup,

make a backup of your broken project and delete it from the tools then, create a new project

with exactly the same project and map names.

Now, copy the .map and .exp files from the broken map into your new map then load it.

Now , if the map load in the tools, make object groups and it will save the groups

into eds files into your project.

Now if you managed to make groups of the broken project, save the eds files somewhere .

Then replace the .map and .exp files again,

with the empty map files and load it then

put your eds group files in the stable project.

Make sure to check the bak1 bak2 and 3

to see if they are stable before to try the technique above.

Edited by cr1m3

On 12/30/2017 at 2:40 PM, cr1m3 said:

If the viewport is gray, make sure you have only one map file , cause this happens when you have autosaves of more than one map file, you have to load the map manually by clicking on documents then, load map file.

Recently i fixed my map partially just to be able to load it in the devtools.

I had an older backup so i toke both myMap.map and myMap.exp files and 

i placed them in my older backup then, i was able to load the map in the tools ( ingame was crashing after i reach some location).

So, i created groups with new objects that

i added in the map.

Then, i copied the eds group selection files that i just created in a safe place.

Then, i finally removed the corrupted map project and i placed my old project backup in the devtools workshop folder

and added the .eds groups in it.

So i added the new groups taken from a corrupted map into a stable map.

So, if you don’t have any map backup,

make a backup of your broken project and delete it from the tools then, create a new project

with exactly the same project and map names.

Now, copy the .map and .exp files from the broken map into your new map then load it.

Now , if the map load in the tools, make object groups and it will save the groups

into eds files into your project.

Now if you managed to make groups of the broken project, save the eds files somewhere .

Then replace the .map and .exp files again,

with the empty map files and load it then

put your eds group files in the stable project.

Make sure to check the bak1 bak2 and 3

to see if they are stable before to try the technique above.

Thank you SO much for your reply! I'll get right to fixing my map. I'll update you on the results :)

Okay, so I have been in my files and starting my map up a dozen times, and here's what I found.

I got the map to start up without the error after temporarily deleting .bak files 1, 2, and exp from "D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Dying Light\DevTools\workshop\Karun\data\maps\example". It started up but didn't load anything, but it didn't give me the error.

So I put in those files again and it does the error again and I can't seem to make it go away. Your instructions were a tad confusing. You want me to place my .map and .exp files of the map into another backup folder and then making another map based off of these? My apologies, I am just a little confused.

Thank you!

Oui je sais, it is a bit confusing.

It is a sort of map migration:

So i mean to make a new project and

put your .map and .exp files in it

(replace the files in the new project by the broken project’s map and exp files)

then you should have all objects in the new project .

Now, you can save all those objects in new groups (select many objects and press ctrl+g )

This will save your groups into eds file.

Now, you can use those groups in another

stable project.

You will loose the terrain but all othe map design will be saved.

So why to save groups? 

Because your map and exp file could be corrupted so the trick is to use your old broken map and exp files in a new project

to save all objects then, take the eds group files in a stable project.

Edited by cr1m3

Oh and map.bak and exp.bak are automatic backups that the tools is creating when you close them.

So there is a chance that they are intact.

Make a backup of your myMap.map and myMap.exp file, delete them from the map folder  then, rename the myMap.bak as myMap.map and myMap.exp.bak as myMap.exp.

bak1 bak2 and bak3 mean that bak3 is the latest backup and bak is the older so

bak could be cleaner than bak3 if the last

backup is corrupted too.

On 1/2/2018 at 6:14 AM, cr1m3 said:

Oh and map.bak and exp.bak are automatic backups that the tools is creating when you close them.

So there is a chance that they are intact.

Make a backup of your myMap.map and myMap.exp file, delete them from the map folder  then, rename the myMap.bak as myMap.map and myMap.exp.bak as myMap.exp.

bak1 bak2 and bak3 mean that bak3 is the latest backup and bak is the older so

bak could be cleaner than bak3 if the last

backup is corrupted too.

I am so sorry I am so late to responding to this.

So, here's an update. I sucessfully transfered some of the files to a new map file and everything loads except the objects. My original .map file was corrupted so I used a backup. I copied most of the original files to the new map and everything seems to run fine. However, the models do not load. There are some corpses, chairs and NPC bodies, but no cars, tunnels, walls, etc.. How can I add those back in?

Also, from my crash log I found out what was making the map crash, but I can't remove the error from the .map file.

EDIT****

I fixed my map!! Luckily, back when it crashed I saved backups without knowing it, plugged them in, and bam! The map has loaded successfully. It's been six long months, but now we are back to normal. Thank you to cr1m3 for all your help man.