Sign in to follow this  
Wiggelz

Need Some Advice From Fellow Night Hunters.

So I'd like to think I have a good grasp on being a night hunter. I don't play the human side at all. I win most of my matches but when I get into a game with survivors that are really good I find it impossible to even get a kill. Here are some of my issues.

The better survivors have huge duped inventories and can switch items quickly. This means that when I do finally get a spit hit, UV or Horde, they simply throw flares or use cloak potion. This makes my spit that I worked so hard for to get useless. Even if I get a UV spit they will have their UV light on my a lot with flares peppered around them or their buddy will interrupt me.

The other issue is that since tackles and pounces will be avoided 98% of the time the only other option is claw and ground pound. This isn't good either because in the time it takes to swing your claw and ready ground pound the survivor was able to dodge backwards 2-3 times. A failed ground pound leaves me open for an alternating dropkick lock that leads to my death. A missed dropkick for them isn't punishable. They stand within 1 second and take reduced damage while down. Why do we have a move that is punishable with death and leads to a whole nest lost but a survivor doesn't?

Lastly... the UV light has such a long range and drains me super quickly. Even with UV block I'm required to constantly hit and run and still end up getting caught fully drained. When this happens I just turn around and hope to ground pound. The better players will just switch to a gun or bow and there is no stopping them cause somehow they're able to hold the button on a flashlight while pulling back a bow.

I'm hoping for some good pointers on this and not tge typical 'get better' comment. I even try the UV spit with a tackle (evaded but spit hits) and then try to pounce but the other survivor is far enough away to not get hit and then interrupts my pounce and the spit/block were wasted and now the ground has 4-5 flares down which are far enough apart to not be ground pounded.

Git gud. Just kidding :D If you land your UV spit, try to get behind them for a tackle. Sometimes you can get a pounce off even if there are other humans around after a successful tackle. If you land a horde spit and they use a cloak potion, try to attack that person, camo goes off as soon as you hit them (works for the camo skill too). Use your spits as distractions, a horde spit will force the human to find high ground which leaves him open for tackles or at least it forces the human to stop focusing on you for a moment. You can then decide if you want to attack the guy with horde on him, or if you want to focus on the other humans. Keep moving constantly and use tendril sprint (tendril to ground -> hold the sprint button -> run faster -> repeat). If there's an area where the human can go above you, they will, there is always someone trying to DFA you, don't forget you can tackle upwards if you see a human above you. As for UV light draining you fast, you need to be moving more. The odds are the humans can't keep their light pointed directly at you at all times so you'll get drained slower. Be careful with tackle, missing it will almost always result in a 120hp loss since the humans recover instantly and can swing/ground pound with a two hander. Same with pounce. Avoid pouncing on rooftops, if you go off the roofs the humans will most likely DFA you since again, they recover instantly. If you spit instantly after ground pounding, you will usually stick a spit since ground pound moves the camera towards the human. As for flares, not much you can do but try to ground pound the human standing near them, or move the fight away from the flares. If you successfully tackle someone and the others are around him, they will fall down for a moment so you can use that to land a spit as well. And lastly, if you meet a group of really good survivors, you most likely won't win, same with the laggy hosts. You'll get hit while in animations and you'll get dropkicked while you're already tendriling away, it happens and there's nothing you can do about it. Just keep playing and practising and you'll improve. I doubt this helped much but oh well. Happy gaming :D

The better survivors have huge duped inventories and can switch items quickly. This means that when I do finally get a spit hit, UV or Horde, they simply throw flares or use cloak potion. This makes my spit that I worked so hard for to get useless.

Haha, this one bugs me more than the others. I use Horde Spit more than anything (I don't need to use UV Block for it to be effective, so it's worth more in a fight to me), and when some duper uses 16 Cloak potions in a single match, it's definitely frustrating!

The best advice I can give in those situations is that you want to be close when someone gets hit with the Horde (distract them until the Horde arrives, Tackle if they try to Grapple up to a building, etc.), so try to claw them with a melee to cancel the Camo and/or Flares. It doesn't reset the timer (which, honestly, it should), but it does re-start the Horde coming after that player and can lead to a lot of surprise deaths. The potion also has a cooldown, so they can't use it right away. This is easier said than done in 1 Vs. 2+, but it actually ends up working in my favor sometimes, because the Horde will re-activate and be a little late to the party, often self-destructing near other survivors instead. In 1 Vs. 1, this is a sound strategy and works even if they Camo using an actual Zombie.

The other issue is that since tackles and pounces will be avoided 98% of the time the only other option is claw and ground pound... A missed dropkick for them isn't punishable. They stand within 1 second and take reduced damage while down.

This is a difficult one to address because Dodge is woefully glitchy, and the connection is 100% in favor of the Humans, so there are many times when a night Hunter sees a perfect Tackle opportunity and misses "just because." There are also still exploits in the game that allow Humans to Dodge Tackles mid-air (which I won't publicize but will be sending to the Devs soon), so it becomes less an issue of skill and more an issue of hoping what you're seeing is actually what you're seeing.

I wouldn't say a missed Drop Kick isn't punishable. Even experienced players whiff from time to time while I'm playing, and you can take that moment to swipe+swipe+GP (which will still hit them for good damage and leave them trying to heal). Or, obviously, if you have a Spit, then Spit them while they're down.

Again, it's a sad fact that you're not always seeing what you'd be seeing if you were the host, so things like GPs, Tackle, etc. just flat-out don't register sometimes. I have on video a shot of me GP'ing a group of players, directly in front of me, who are reviving another player, and the GP literally just goes through them. It sucks that the game can be like that, but there's not much we can do on our end but sigh and shake our heads.

Lastly... the UV light has such a long range and drains me super quickly. Even with UV block I'm required to constantly hit and run and still end up getting caught fully drained. When this happens I just turn around and hope to ground pound. The better players will just switch to a gun or bow and there is no stopping them cause somehow they're able to hold the button on a flashlight while pulling back a bow.

This is another difficult item to address, but mostly because the strategy changes drastically depending on how many people you're facing. In 1 Vs. 1 (and sometimes 1 Vs. 2), you can get away with constantly "sharking" or "air-sharking" your opponent, i.e. circling him quickly or flying around and above him in quick, jerking motions, to drain their UV Light to a point where you can start attacking and not have your energy drained completely before they run out. In 1 Vs. 2 against more skilled opponents, I sincerely believe the Hunter is at his worst disadvantage, as the Nests are far too easy and the additional player prevents UV Spits from being exceptionally helpful. In these cases, it's often best to distract as much as you can safely (passing over as a distraction and quickly escaping) while waiting for Horde Spit, or preferably Horde Spit Smash, to charge up so you can get something other than your big, beautiful self to distract them. This is where it pays to save your UV Block, so you can charge after them if they're duping Cloak Potions.

1 Vs. 3+ against experienced players, you want Spit Smashes. You want to run in, Spit Smash, and UV Block only when your energy is close to being drained. In my 1 Vs. 3+ matches, players tend to have "posts" where they know they should go during specific Nests. You can often attack one person, draw others, and then UV Block, get in the air, and use Toxic Spit in enclosed areas to really mess them up. People rarely expect Toxic outside of Nest defense, and if you can Toxic + Tackle or GP, it only takes a swipe or two to finish them off. It's underrated as all heck and very effective at causing chaos.

If you're on Slums or the Countryside, and you're not at the high-town (mountain pathway) Nest, it's best to use the Horde Spit Smash often while players are on buildings to knock them off. You can then wait a second (really, less than a second - its a super-fast window) and then go in for the Tackle, because experienced players will always Grapple back onto buildings. You can wait with a GP too, but Tackle's animation is effective for hitting them while they're coming back. Of course, the same rule still applies as above - there are exploits in use that allow Humans to Dodge in mid-air, so it's difficult if your opponent decides that cheating is better than losing. I've had plenty of matches as well where a clean Tackle gets Dodged because the Humans are close enough to the building that it "counts" as being on solid ground, so take that with a grain of salt as well.

Since there are no bans in this game, but Hunters have the option to join whomever they please, just make a note of the Dupers/Glitchers/Aborters and avoid them. We have to make do with what we have, and we do have the power to not fight people who have no integrity. I fought an Indomitable yesterday who got upset that he had to keep fighting Apexes that killed him over and over and Aborted our match. I had to explain to him that Aborting all the time puts players in ranks they don't belong in. He did not take it well.

Overall, the best strategy I can suggest is adapting to your opponent(s). If players just spam Dodge+Jump, Spit/Spit Smash whenever they jump. Don't just keep trying to Tackle them, or you're playing exactly the way they want you to play! If players use the Grappling Hook every time they get hit with the Horde? Claw them continuously, or Tackle them when they try to escape. It's a big deal to know how players want you to fight them, and doing the opposite.

And stalk people - don't just engage at every opportunity. Sometimes attacking right away is smart, but you should know what Nest is coming up and when it's better to just let them try to come to you and act as a Nest Guard, rather than assaulting them along the way.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: Spellingz.

Edited by DoctorPurrington

All very good advice that I have used today. Def used spit spash with horde more and liked it a lot. Still get annoyed with lagg... my arms dropped for a groundpound today and I looked up and got dropkicked in the face. Ugh..... we really have nothing to counter them. I don't even care more than it would just be fun. I don't play human but I imagine dodging a tackle is enjoyable. I want a cool motion.

All very good advice that I have used today. Def used spit spash with horde more and liked it a lot. Still get annoyed with lagg... my arms dropped for a groundpound today and I looked up and got dropkicked in the face. Ugh..... we really have nothing to counter them. I don't even care more than it would just be fun. I don't play human but I imagine dodging a tackle is enjoyable. I want a cool motion.

Yeah that happens a lot. I'm starting to think it's a feature rather than lag, meaning you have to ground pound before the human even jumps. Which is fun since you don't know if they're going for the dropkick or baiting you to miss your GP.

Well there's your first issue right there. Part of the reason why I'm so good, is because I play as both the Night Hunter AND human, both are pretty fun too. If you just favor one side, then you don't realize the capabilities of the other. I'm a good NH because I know the capabilities of the human.

I urge you to ignore DrPurringtons advice, he is a trash NH. I've seen him play. A good example of someone who favors one side and sticks to tactics that only works against people who suck (a reason why he is afraid to face me, he knows he'll lose). On a 1v3 and above don't rely and spit smash, that is an absolutely stupid idea.

There was a pinned thread that gave some pretty badass advice, but I guess it got taken down. The heaviest thing you need to realize is that the Night Hunter is a close range melee combatant. His only fatal moves are all done up close. So when you're out of spits, you gotta get your hands dirty.

Perkele made some good points. The game is fairly balanced now, except when lag takes effect. This games lag comp is fairly poor. So it's hard to attack and maintain pressure when the humans are landing lagged hits and dropkicks. You just have to learn to deal with it. 99% of the time I myself lose, is because of lag. It's frustrating but sadly we gotta deal.

Instead of spit-smashing, spit-lock. Ground pound the human the follow up with an immediate non-charged spit. Get the hang of this and it'll stick every time. Only spit-smash when you're on the range of multiple humans to endure the spit. When humans are in roofs, ground them off then tackle while they're off the roof.

To touch on what perkele said, you can tendril into a sprint which makes you go super fast, is it to get around your opponent quicker. When you get a human cornered, continuously ground pound and claw! Yes people bìtch about ground pounding, but it's the Night Hunters thriving skill. So learn to use it good.

I could tell you millions of tactics, but I urge you to just check out my YouTube and Twitch channel: jonnyallen3. Watch how I play and try to learn some moves. I'm known as the best Night Hunter, so you can definitely learn a few things :)

Edited by jonnyallen3

Haha, listen to this kid. Noone likes a show boater and I damn well don't wanna listen to someone else that just tears others apart. You came in talking down Dr Purrington who has given me great advice. You take this game too serious. You should probably go outside once or twice a month. You can say I suck all you want. It's a video game and you're being a tool so your opinion doesn't matter.

Haha, gloat about your life story more. I still don't care. I was in the Army as well and it's sad to hear there are still arrogant soldiers out there. I bet you're a PoG as well. Stop thinking you're better than everyone else. That's why I won't take your advice. I also don't wonder why I suck. I mearly struggle with specific situations because PS4 doesn't allow for easy camera movement while hitting tackle button or the plain fact of lagg due to being on thier connection.

wow, the discussion is so hot :) i think jonnyllen3 is best i've seen on youtube on console, he is giving good advices, i dont care about him not being a polite person. As far as being a NH is concerned he is good and his advices are good. People saying that he rage quits are just plain stupid, because i saw those ragequits.... they are not ragequits really, youtubers are just giving misleading titles. Sometimes game crashes... idiots are thinking this is ragequit, other time hunter knows for 100 % that he cant get in time to the nests so he just quits because he already lost... this is not equal to ragequit. Idiots have to know how to distinguish that.  Prove me wrong with video :) good luck.

wow, the discussion is so hot :) i think jonnyllen3 is best i've seen on youtube on console, he is giving good advices, i dont care about him not being a polite person. As far as being a NH is concerned he is good and his advices are good. People saying that he rage quits are just plain stupid, because i saw those ragequits.... they are not ragequits really, youtubers are just giving misleading titles. Sometimes game crashes... idiots are thinking this is ragequit, other time hunter knows for 100 % that he cant get in time to the nests so he just quits because he already lost... this is not equal to ragequit. Idiots have to know how to distinguish that.  Prove me wrong with video :) good luck.

You don't care because it doesn't concern you personally, if it were you in the spotlight, you would sing different song. Good advices or not, he condemned himself for contempt by mixing in completely pointless personal hostility towards Purrington which clouded the conversation. He made himself a jerk on his own desire. If that's what he wanted then i'm ok with that.

Drop out is not a rage quit.

Edited by sanjyuubi

Everyone is going to blame any type of losing on something. I'm lagging, it's glitchy, game crashed, dog ate my controller. It's all the same. I just dislike the negativity from the start. Noone is the best. We're all good here with our own little flaws. No need for the hostility.

We're all good here with our own little flaws. No need for the hostility.

Wrong !!! 90 % of the players are just bad or... need more practice :) majority of the players is definitely not good. They are casual, casual = mediocre not good.

How? When you can rotate in an instant with great control, use multiple keys at once and aim much better. Without a modded controller it is near impossible to sprint, turn the right stick and hit tackle. Since it's so easily dodgable too you have to do that to get behind or from the side.

I must ask tho, jonnyallen3... in a lot of your videos I see you jump around and ground pound without the claw attack first. I'm assuming you found a way to clip that? I'm sure lots of people have called this cheating when you mearly find a way around things.

How? When you can rotate in an instant with great control, use multiple keys at once and aim much better. Without a modded controller it is near impossible to sprint, turn the right stick and hit tackle. Since it's so easily dodgable too you have to do that to get behind or from the side.

I must ask tho, jonnyallen3... in a lot of your videos I see you jump around and ground pound without the claw attack first. I'm assuming you found a way to clip that? I'm sure lots of people have called this cheating when you mearly find a way around things.

In order to rotate well as the hunter on PC, you have to play on a sensitivity that you might not be comfortable with (I guess this goes for consoles as well). Aiming spits isn't as easy it may sound with a mouse. There's this guy called Pilot or something on Xbox, he's pretty good at that turning fast and tackling from behind thing. Things may seem like they are easier for the hunter on pc but of course, humans have it even easier which makes it harder for hunters. Hotkeys for gear and weapons, precision with grappling hook and firearms. Even the higher framerate helps. I've played on a console once and seen multiple videos, it just feels slow paced compared to PC imo.

At any rate.... I'm just going to find a new game. It seems techland doesn't want to do anything for NH so it's a waste of time. We can do nothing to stop dropkick. I've been kicked at the height of my jump and released ground pound hundreds of times before dropkick and fail cause of lag. So what's the point of having it? The game is too focused on the survivor side making it a terrible PvP experience.