Sign in to follow this  
sanjyuubi

Idea For New Gameplay Recording System.

We all know that we can record our gameplay through shadowplay, VCE or other 3rd party tools and stream the game through steam.

It's cool that we have such an option, but it have several downsides and limits.

- you need to engage CPU or GPU, it makes impact on performance on some low end hardware

- you need to have proper bandwith to stream good quality gameplay, the more quality you need, the more bandwith you need

- streaming could produce a lags, so you have to lower quality

Back in the days, where low speed internet was something common, there was something called as "spectate" option, the game was recreated realtime on the speactator computer according to incoming data and it was working quite well. The downside of such system is that quality of the graphics still depends on the spectator hardware.

Even if i had to lower graphics on my computer i would still glad to use "spectate" option as some users have simply not enough bandwith or low end computer where every frame counts.

Now i talk about the best part, recording.

Aside of the downside i mentioned earlier, recording the gameplay as simply data brings more possibilities. Not only you can keep your gameplays in small files, if properly incorporated, you are allowed to manipulate replaying process, for e.g. you can switch to any player point of view you were playing with, you can switch to 3rd person or even use free raom camera mode where you are flying around looking what was going on on the battlefield. Not only it allows people to use it more creatively while making  movie compilations (different perspectives included in one screen, even survivor and hunter) it allows to cloud away any misunderstandings about cheating or situations where you simply lost track of what is going on and allow you to analyze your mistakes.

Right now if there is a gap in skills, you are often called a cheater, ending up being recorded and reported, with new recording system, the player could view his game from my point of view clearing any misunderstandings (unless he is really brainless jerk).

Spectating and data recording have small requirements for processing power and bandwith. You just need good computer if you want good graphics.

What do you think about such system and how would you use it?

Edited by sanjyuubi

Indeed a fine idea. Implementation is of course another thing, particularly with lag etc.

But the principle is what my discussions with Ninja pointed towards a few months ago: establishing some third person pov to allow for more clarity in competitive multiplayer.

This way people could learn from their losses.

Indeed a fine idea. Implementation is of course another thing, particularly with lag etc.

But the principle is what my discussions with Ninja pointed towards a few months ago: establishing some third person pov to allow for more clarity in competitive multiplayer.

This way people could learn from their losses.

A replay system like in soccer games could fit quite well too. You could see last 5-10s of gameplay from the view of person/being  that killed you (even hazmat zombie).

Edited by sanjyuubi