Ninja

Showing 360 Hammer/axe Swing Very Useful

You're misunderstanding him. Not wanting to store 3GB matches =/= not being able to. 

Just because you're a pro gamer doesn't mean you have to have hours of matches stored on your machine or a hard drive dedicated to such. Those can live on youtube or a cloud storage service. 

Well shucks then, huh? Now we are measuring competence in video editing. You appear to be a very competitive person so no, I don't run around waving videos with the full glorious length of my uhm... gaming skill in people's faces.  :P

There's so much of that Kitsch floating around already. I just make videos for fun and I know that if folks know their compression algorithms and capturing software better than the somewhat standard shadowplay + some editor, then you can capture good footage without a pro rig.

But you want to prove yourself a pro, and I don't doubt you. I'll support such a channel and subscribe. It would be a fine thing to see community do something out of its own initiative, outside of corporate control. A professional Dying Light league, why not? You might draw a crowd, which would be much better than some celebrity cult around a few groups and individuals that just managed some viral thing, without showing gameplay under pressure and fruits of genuine experience. A kind of system where folks could challenge you would also be nice, as would a more reliable 3rd person view of the game, where folks can see in real time who is lagging, and where such advantage becomes relevant for competition. This would also sensibilize people to lag in general and diminish some of the hate that gets exchanged due to frustration online.

If you have ambition to be some future world champion, then why chicken out in front of buying some hard drives? Or get more of a clue on how to manage that disk memory problem? Idk, but those don't seem like problems that would stop the best from being the best. :) Those seem like problems for folks like me indeed, but I am casual. A couple of cherry picked gameplay videos to show we're the best? That hardly suffices in any sport or competitive system under the sun. At least any I know of. Rightfully so, imho. 

Peace out folks and hev dez giud weekindz! :lol:

jcks said exactly my point. I can do it but i don't want to.....Don't know what you are on about talking about hard drives and competition. I record games for fun and to help people on how to fight the hunter and also to show some issues if there are any. I am encourage by my subscribers who want to watch it. Also don't know what you on about competition or such, i didn't say i want to join a competition. My subscribers/friends have asked me if i would join a tournament but the answer is no. I enjoy playing the game casual and find it very fun and enjoyable. Once it gets to tournament it won't be enjoyable as it will be more robotic coming from my previous competitive gaming experience which i stopped a long time ago. I am a family man now and not as young as i used to be, i don't have time for that.

How did he cancel his grapple 7:54?  Have I completely missed a way to cancel a grapple?

I've have humans interrupt a pounce in mid-grapple by turning to look at me when I'm more behind them than in front.

Yeah you press crouch button to cancel, i think there's another button that also cancels, you can change direction mid air by doing this as long as you haven't hit hook cool down yet.

And what is going on with this thread man lol...

There may be language interpretation I don't share with you guys. I'll share my own silly interpretation to clarify:

Pro to me is "professional" i.e. such person makes a living for themselves and family, if they have one, through competition in some consistent league/standard over time; not some informal sponsorship deal for free shirts, drinks, parking, and games with a local shop or headphone distributor say. Therefore 'competitive' contrasts with 'casual'. And those words were used, along with noting the fact that Ninja plays with the best and knows the entire situation/everybody out there playing online.

This is not an uncommon claim. Besides folks complaining about fairness, the claim "I am the best, I know the best, the best are xyz" is so common, I'll encourage folks to share that and own it. This is community after all and we can share what we enjoy and take initiative beyond explaining basic mechanics, as Ninja does with the first 360 video of this thread. A professional should also be an exemplar of everything their sport/discipline stands for; be its representative ambassador to the world and buy/manage whatever equipment they need to do so: hard drives included.

Personally, I am closer to weird casual gaming style I call "being nice", but the late great H.S. Thompson warned of underestimating the weird: "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." I concur.  :D 

There will always be a best even in casual play. Playing casually doesn't negate the skill ceiling.

There isn't a competitive scene for this side mode so the notion of anyone playing professionally shouldn't exist. No one should be held to any kind of standard because they're good at this game.

There will always be a best even in casual play. Playing casually doesn't negate the skill ceiling.

There isn't a competitive scene for this side mode so the notion of anyone playing professionally shouldn't exist. No one should be held to any kind of standard because they're good at this game.

Best in terms of victory screens produced by game software? Sure, but not by any competitive measure or standard. Like somebody winning the board games for the night, where the rules and measures are in fact more clear than in Dying Light. Those games even have amazing feature of zero lag. :P

BTW "being good at this game" is already a standard you're holding people to, of whom you've said they shouldn't be held to a standard. That's a standard, Jcks! Standard = a level of quality or a norm of some kind. To me the norm is to have fun with games and nobody has a complete account of why or how that happens. That's why we all know how best to have our fun, even if we can't 100% express what that truly is or why it happens. And nobody else can either, even with a million upvotes, views, dislikes, followers, or whatever.

And if guys want to make professional careers out of BtZ mode, why not if they can draw the crowds. Seems like fun and like I said: I'd subscribe to them all. :)

Edited by Chickeninja

Best in terms of victory screens produced by game software? Sure, but not by any competitive measure or standard. Like somebody winning the board games for the night, where the rules and measures are in fact more clear than in Dying Light. Those games even have amazing feature of zero lag. :P

And if guys want to make professional careers out of BtZ mode, why not if they can draw the crowds. Seems like fun. :)

Best as in skill, obviously. Usually that correlates directly to the amount of victory screens you see. Also you seem to compare competition in this mode to actual real life competitive sports a lot. Why not use more relevant comparisons such as esports? Which by the way lag exists in those sort of offline environments.

No one made any claim about wanting to be professional players in BtZ, you keep assuming that. I stated just in my last post above you that the notion of professional gaming for this mode shouldn't exist. Why would I want to make a professional career out of this?

Chicken you are going too crazy on this. When i say pro i mean it figuratively, as of dying light it means very good player(s). There are no professional dying light players because there isn't a dying light league or tournament where you make money.....I didn't say i am the best, already give props to nublet being even better than me. I maybe subject but i have been playing this game constantly since it came out and i know i have faced almost all hunters. So i can pretty much bet who the best hunters are but its not just me other people know too to confirm it thats all.

Best as in skill, obviously. Usually that correlates directly to the amount of victory screens you see.

Lol, my hunter has way more undeserved wins these days, particularly in 1v1 or 1v2. No correlation whatsoever. If you want to believe in the victory screens this literally, then go ahead, but then your discourse on balance being lost in multiple hunter scenario is a bit lost: we'd just need some victory screen mechanism, according to your standards here.

No one made any claim about wanting to be professional players in BtZ, you keep assuming that. I stated just in my last post above you that the notion of professional gaming for this mode shouldn't exist. Why would I want to make a professional career out of this?

Why not if folks enjoy it and subscribe?

Chicken you are going too crazy on this. When i say pro i mean it figuratively, as of dying light it means very good player(s). There are no professional dying light players because there isn't a dying light league or tournament where you make money.....I didn't say i am the best, already give props to nublet being even better than me. I maybe subject but i have been playing this game constantly since it came out and i know i have faced almost all hunters. So i can pretty much bet who the best hunters are but its not just me other people know too to confirm it thats all.

Then all I say is "share your gems, as you already tend to do!" What is crazy about that in some community where we share the same interest and fun? I'll support it.  :) 

People should be held to the standard of at least their own words. It's the flip side of the coin of recognizing people sincerely and taking them seriously.

BTW "being good at this game" is already a standard you're holding people to, of whom you've said they shouldn't be held to a standard. That's a standard, Jcks! Standard = a level of quality or a norm of some kind. To me the norm is to have fun with games and nobody has a complete account of why or how that happens. That's why we all know how best to have our fun, even if we can't 100% express what that truly is or why it happens. And nobody else can either, even with a million upvotes, views, dislikes, followers, or whatever.

No I'm not. I said even if you're good in this game you shouldn't be held to standards like you're trying to hold ninja to because of his claim of playing with the best and not wanting to keep recorded gameplay on his computer which is a legitimate storage issue, even if you have the space.

Your idea of fun is subjective. What I consider fun to you sounds like try hard/too serious/competitive gameplay. There is no norm gameplay other than what you personally decide it to be. The only definite thing you can say about this mode is that there is high level and low level gameplay. This is backed up by an entire ranking system as well as how matchmaking is currently set up.

Edited by jcks

Lol, my hunter has way more undeserved wins these days, particularly in 1v1 or 1v2. No correlation whatsoever. If you want to believe in the victory screens this literally, then go ahead, but then your discourse on balance being lost in multiple hunter scenario is a bit lost: we'd just need some victory screen mechanism, according to your standards here.

If you are good (in this sense you understand the mechanics of the game), you will often win. When you win you will see victory screens. This isn't hard to understand. 

Whether or not your win was based completely on your own skill is subjective. 

Why not if folks enjoy it and subscribe?

Answering the question with a question is a logical fallacy.

No I'm not. I said even if you're good in this game you shouldn't be held to standards like you're trying to hold ninja to because of his claim of playing with the best and not wanting to keep recorded gameplay on his computer which is a legitimate storage issue, even if you have the space.

Your idea of fun is subjective. What I consider fun to you sounds like try hard/too serious/competitive gameplay. There is no norm gameplay other than what you personally decide it to be. The only definite thing you can say about this mode is that there is high level and low level gameplay. This is backed up by an entire ranking system as well as how matchmaking is currently set up.

I'm less certain than that: a cheater can decide to shove their notion of the norm down your throat, then all notions of high or low level, the ranking, matchmaking are out the window. Also those notions contribute only a little to how fun a game is or how well all the relative levels, that are perhaps impossible to communicate, are tuned to each other. If it weren't so, fun gameplay would follow much more predictable formula and success would be a simple, transparent, mechanical matter.

If you are good (in this sense you understand the mechanics of the game), you will often win. When you win you will see victory screens. This isn't hard to understand. 

Whether or not your win was based completely on your own skill is subjective. 

Answering the question with a question is a logical fallacy.

Now you want to play professional logician? Jcks, if I applied the standard you quote to your posts, we wouldn't be conversing at all. I am more relaxed than that given that logical fallacies abound not only in everyday use, but even in texts of law and rules.  :) Pointing them out to others that lack some formal background is a form of bullying I have observed. Kind of the abuse of logic, as the logic "enthusiasts" making that move, tend to forget or underestimate the historical collapse and failure of logicism, and expect the person they are talking to, to be intimidated by making such a point and calling up some definition... or to smear them doing so or whatever. Most logicians familiar to me moan at that move for this reason.

Peace and let the best be the best at the best standard for their gameplay.  :D I end the discussion here for obvious reasons.

Edited by Chickeninja

I'm less certain than that: a cheater can decide to shove their notion of the norm down your throat, then all notions of high or low level, the ranking, matchmaking are out the window.

Not at all. Cheating is not intended in any sense of a game and thus has no impact on fair play. You can't make decisions on what is fun or not based on cheating because it shouldn't even be included in the first place. 

Now you want to play professional logician? Jcks, if I applied the standard you quote to your posts, we wouldn't be conversing at all. I am more relaxed than that given that logical fallacies abound not only in everyday use, but even in texts of law and rules.   :) Pointing them out to others that lack some formal background is a form of bullying I have observed. Kind of the abuse of logic. 

If you find any faulty logic in my posts then by all means point them out. These rules exist to improve clarity in discussion and as such pointing them out can do nothing but improve the conversation.

I'm pointing out this fallacy in particular because the answer(question) you provided was not an answer at all and only further complicated the discussion. I made no assumption that you lack knowledge of these fallacies but if that's what you're saying then I can't be bullying you as I provided a source for you to educate yourself on why that was a fallacy.

Edited by jcks

If all of this was a waste of time because my arguments were founded in faulty logic from the start then why engage in the first place?

You lecture folks authoritatively on logic, but don't specify the theory you're working within.

Perhaps, I'm not an expert, you should get out more and get to know more people, if you think those fallacies are criminal offenses. In truth they occur all the time in discourse of conversation, media etc.The fact that you insist on formal correctness, when you don't specify the theory, can be interpreted as direct bullying/pure manipulation and is in breach of community guidelines at least for lack of being constructive. Especially linking to definitions without clarifying the formal background you're "working with" could be interpreted as misleading folks into believing you have some expert status.

There is no formal discussion in this sense, because we're not in a scientific setting. According to community guidelines this is a forum to exchange opinions and therefore not a place for formal discussion or scientific exchange. And no, discussing opinions is not a waste of time, but it isn't science, nor does anybody here need those links and half-baked misunderstandings of formal logic. Besides being understandable confusions, they misrepresent logic itself.

But by all means, open a thread discussing your vague conceptions of logic in the off-topic section if this means something to you. Or perhaps actually study logic seriously and contribute to the field instead of opinion forums. The discussion has become pointless by now. So "engage" me with rebuttal and see how I couldn't care. Folks just sharing opinions here, and if you want to police that, be my guest but neither will I care nor recognize any of this as a thoughtful contribution. My silence is now forced by virtue of the fact that discussing matters further with you will lead me to breach to community guidelines myself. And that's a thing I wish to avoid.

Edited by Chickeninja

You lecture folks authoritatively on logic, but don't specify the theory you're working within.

Perhaps, I'm not an expert, you should get out more and get to know more people, if you think those fallacies are criminal offenses. In truth they occur all the time in discourse of conversation, media etc.The fact that you insist on formal correctness, when you don't specify the theory, can be interpreted as direct bullying/pure manipulation and is in breach of community guidelines at least for lack of being constructive. Especially linking to definitions without clarifying the formal background you're "working with" could be interpreted as misleading folks into believing you have some expert status.

There is no formal discussion in this sense, because we're not in a scientific setting. According to community guidelines this is a forum to exchange opinions and not a place for formal discussion or scientific exchange. And no, discussing opinions is not a waste of time, but it isn't science, nor does anybody here need those links and half-baked misunderstandings of formal logic. Besides being rude and ugly, they misrepresent logic itself.

So because they happen all the time, in an informal setting or not, it's OK to use them? 

I don't remember insisting there be formal correctness. All I did was point out a flaw in your response which further obscured the conversation. You answered a question with a question, effectively dodging the question and shifting responsibility back on to the person who made the initial inquiry. This both wastes time and adds unnecessary complexity to the discussion by introducing a new one entirely. If it were OK for both sides to do this to infinity then the argument would never get resolved and we'd go back and forth until the thread was closed due to it going off topic. Someone needs to hold some accountability.

Hmm I don't see that anywhere in the guidelines. Could you link me to that exact phrase? Specifically the part where it states this is not a place for formal discussion or scientific exchange?

Could you link me to that exact phrase? Specifically the part where it states this is not a place for formal discussion or scientific exchange?

I don't have to but will still provide you the courtesy. With your competence in logic you should know that an opinion =/= theory and/or derivation in a formal sense. Pawel's community guidelines employs the phrase "This is a place made for gamers who want to exchange opinions and thoughts about our games" in the first line.

Yeah you press crouch button to cancel, i think there's another button that also cancels, you can change direction mid air by doing this as long as you haven't hit hook cool down yet.

Learn something new every day.  On PC it's the "C" key and the "E" key.

it still page 3... we want more

Lol, good one! First sign of badly needed sense of humor in this thread. :lol:

If Jcks feels like having to drag all my posts in this thread into the gutter by interpreting them normatively in some negative fashion, no problem but expecting me to not comment on that fact or question the assumed authority Jcks has to do so, is strange in the context of a feedback or opinion forum. Folks agree or not in these contexts. And this, when I value Jcks contributions, in particular the explanations and clarifications for people trying to get a basic handle of the game's mechanics; they are lucid, efficient, and patient. Same with Ninja's observations on Axe, 360 swing etc.

My ambition here is zero: just ignorant opinion smoke signals for folks who'd enjoy a game, share some gameplay or style preferences, and let themselves be invaded or invade us. And if folks have ambitions AND are nice, then we'll support them, like and subscribe to them, even if we don't share the ambition or disagree on things.

Nice to see SomeOldDude again btw, hope you good, man! :)

Nova is right: Indeed humor wins as in all matters strategy and tactics, my yardstick is to listen to the Jesus (mature language warning):

Somehow that feels appropriate, being about the game, vanity, opinions etc. even though I have no idea why.  :huh: 

Peace, good games to all, and maybe see you out there online!

You're misunderstanding him. Not wanting to store 3GB matches =/= not being able to. 

Just because you're a pro gamer doesn't mean you have to have hours of matches stored on your machine or a hard drive dedicated to such. Those can live on youtube or a cloud storage service. 

A bit late to the party, but just to support this, I've got over 100GB of DL videos on my PS4. I have to delete them constantly to make room for games/updates! Videos take a lot of space. :ph34r:

The hate in these threads is so dominant, any content that was meant as contribution is obscured by all the insults, personal attacks, cheat accusations etc. Makes it seem like the contribution and/or thread topic was only conceived of to make attacks or promote self-glory. Some of it makes the forum seem like a bunch of 12 year old squabbling princesses and I'm not even singling out anybody. These kinds of posts, the schoolboy tactics of ganging up and pointing fingers, the naive conceptions of justice and cheating in a video game setting: I don't care for this, even if there are insights relating to the game buried in the attacks somewhere.

Who wants to learn stuff or make community with folks that rage more than they're cool? Sorry, I'd rather play friendly guys, who are up front with their mods, and have cool attitude than aggressive types, some of which have habit of pretending to be 100% honest and perfect, but are always ready to launch attacks, insults, post defamatory material... no matter how good they are, because everybody sees what's going on. This is personal opinion, but the seriousness factor is way too high here, when we're talking a video game that everybody enjoys.

What he said +1

After being away from the game and the forums for a while, this is refreshing :D I have played some matches against Ninja and his friends and I can confirm, they are laggy. Most likely they are in a country far away from me but still, you can see the guy talking about the lag in game chat. Also Ninja's videos show they like to play hard and never 1v1, those two things and the ping, you'll have an unwinnable match if you're the NH. No offence to you Ninja, I know you're good and you can't see the things happening on the NH side. :P

Yes some of it is lag but it was with my internet connection. I have now fixed it so im ok now unless i play someone too far away. Also lag is has pros and cons for both sides. Worst case for me is getting pounced instantly with no window to shine uv. I used to lag against nano but now im ok in my latest vid.

Edited by Ninja

Yes some of it is lag but it was with my internet connection. I have now fixed it so im ok now unless i play someone too far away. Also lag is has pros and cons for both sides. Worst case for me is getting pounced instantly with no window to shine uv. I used to lag against nano but now im ok in my latest vid.

Cool.