I consider myself a good NH, and I've played quite a bit of both sides, it's obvious that the night hunter is at an tremendously extreme disadvantage. The NH defenses have very long cooldowns, using both spits will essentially leave you vulnerable and pathetic for around 90 seconds, this leaves more than enough time to clear a nest.

However the humans have no real disadvantages when they use up a defensive ability. Out of UV? Throw a flare. NH trying to ground pound flare? Pull out the gun, take a step back, and blow him away while he tries to recover from his completely under powered and slow ground pound.

Night hunter tries to tackle human? HAH! LOL!... LMAO JK. Who gets hit by tackles anyways? It takes a new level of bad to be hit by a NH tackle. Its sad to say that the human is actually faster than the NH on short distance sprints upon taking an extremely common speed potion. This makes it very difficult for a NH to escape  a clutch situation, and leaves no room for error, since there is a cast time for tendril locomotion, ground pound, ect. Even with UV immunity.

Speaking of which, why can't the NH use melee attacks? Sure sure you are thinking "But Jayce the NH does have melee attacks dur". Yeah? Really? Tell me how many times you have dealt more than 25 damage against a human in a head to head melee brawl. I mean sure the NH shouldn't be better than the human at everything, but at least let him hold his own! I mean really, a runner zombie deals more damage with his melee attacks than a NH.

TLDR: My suggestion.

Remove both hunter vision, and Zombie sense. OR

Add a 15 minute timer to human players so that they cannot just camp a single area until the NH has been killed, and then move up. OR

Make the NH more responsive (Faster cast times, better projectile speed, Faster movement, and less ability interruptions) OR

My personal favorite. Remove the ability to counter the NH so aggressively. Take away the ability to dodge his tackle, increase NH health so that making a mistake doesn't mean certain death, and make it so that landing yellow spit on the player actually does something useful. I cannot tell you how many times I have done everything right, landed that yellow spit, and remained completely unable to get a kill because there are so many ways to exploit the NH abilities and counter him.

Anyways, we all agree that the NH needs a lot of works/buffs. I'm surprised techland hasn't done anything about it yet.

Edited by ColonelJayce

Your proposed changes would make the night hunter almost unbeatable, they're completely ridiculous and would ruin BTZ. Not to be rude, but I don't think you know how the night hunter is supposed to be played (strategy, timing, combos, etc).

These bizarre threads are kind of taking attention off of legitimate discussions of actual balance issues, (even though you are right that the NH is currently underpowered, you're right for the completely wrong reasons).

Actual issues:

- Tackles don't need to be reactively dodged, you literally can just spam dodges and become immune from all tackles. I made a post on how to fix that: (http://forum.techland.pl/topic/12074-dodges-should-use-stamina-to-prevent-tackle-immunity/)

- In The Following, buggy grab is useless, and there is no way to stop a buggy. I made a post on that too: (http://forum.techland.pl/topic/12075-buggy-grab-is-currently-useless/)

- There's no way to be even remotely stealthy, because of minimap icon. In 1v1s this is fine, but in 1v2+'s the night hunter shouldn't appear on minimap. (So the survivors have to look for the orange pulse)

Long(er) rebuttal of your post (each bullet point corresponds to a paragraph or line of your post):

- Cooldowns are only slow in 1v1s. And in 1v1s you can occupy the survivor (and prevent him from killing nest) without needing spits or UV block.

- (You can pounce someone before they get their UV flare thrown, you can also use some cool combos with your UV spit and UV block to combat people who are inside of flares.)

Guns are pretty much useless against night hunter, the only way to do enough damage to  kill a night hunter who has missed a ground pound is to use a two handed weapon or multiple people.  (Honestly this part didn't even make any sense)

- I agree that tackle currently is broken, but I made a detailed post about it with ACTUAL suggestions.  You can use UV block to escape, and even without UV block you usually can take cover and get energy back.  If you're bad enough to get your energy drained completely and not have a backup plan, then you're supposed to die.

- If the night hunter could out melee humans, the humans would be helpless.  The claw attack is actually very useful for interrupting the survivor, for example when they try to heal.

- Removing survivor sense would be stupid, there would be no way for the humans to figure out where the hunter is at, 1v1s would be impossible.

- A timer on killing the nests wouldn't be very fun, I don't see the point. There already is a non-interaction timer on humans, IF THEY CAMP AN AREA JUST DON'T ATTACK THEM.

- The NH is already pretty responsive, you didn't list anything specific.

- Removing the ability to dodge the NH's attacks is quite literally the most stupid thing I have ever read on these forums, how would the humans fight back!? The "yellow spit" is horde spit, and is very useful for distracting and scattering the survivors. You didn't do everything right, because horde spit isn't used for kill combos, UV spit is.

Edited by VanuCultist

Let me tell a story about a match that happen yesterday.

there are 3 guy playing btz, the three of them are friend, and one of them are playing as the hunter, and in the middle of the match i joined them as human,

their rank is ultimate survivor, indomitable and dominant and all of them have maxed legend level (lv 250), the ultimate survivor are playing as the hunter (his hunter is level 50 and apex on top of it), and losing, he keep saying man the hunter is suck, the hunter is under powered, the hunter is bugged out. so i said to them let me play as the hunter in the next game.

and in the next game i played as hunter, it's my new hunter acc so it's still level 13 and have bolter rank, i died few times but i crushed them while still have 3 of my nest still alive.

you know what they said in that match? man the game is bugged out, how could you pounce me when i use my uv, why you can still tackle me if i already dodge?

so the point of my story is complainer will always complain about anything, and both survivor & hunter need skill to play, so don't always blame the game when you are losing, check yourself first and think do you play good enough or there are area when you can improve?

now i'm not saying i'm skilled or you play bad nor there are no bug/balancing needed but try to record your match and watch it couple of times to see what mistake you do and what you can do next time.

anyway 90 sec spit regeneration only happen when you play in 1vs1 and you are winning by huge percentage so the rubberbanding is activated. 1vs2 and the other have less spit regeneration time.

you have 100% guarantee tackle if you tackle them from behind, and especially when they are panicking either by uv spit/horde spit or just fake a tackle and do GP/spit/claw instead

and any decent hunter will never face human head to head in melee brawl, since you need 5 claw to kill them, and they only need 3 hit from one handed or 2 from two handed, so use your speed and jump height as advantage, use claw as finishing move or to cancel their medkit animation or to cancel their cloak potion/camo

I consider myself a good NH, and I've played quite a bit of both sides, it's obvious that the night hunter is at an tremendously extreme disadvantage. The NH defenses have very long cooldowns, using both spits will essentially leave you vulnerable and pathetic for around 90 seconds, this leaves more than enough time to clear a nest.

However the humans have no real disadvantages when they use up a defensive ability. Out of UV? Throw a flare. NH trying to ground pound flare? Pull out the gun, take a step back, and blow him away while he tries to recover from his completely under powered and slow ground pound.

Night hunter tries to tackle human? HAH! LOL!... LMAO JK. Who gets hit by tackles anyways? It takes a new level of bad to be hit by a NH tackle. Its sad to say that the human is actually faster than the NH on short distance sprints upon taking an extremely common speed potion. This makes it very difficult for a NH to escape  a clutch situation, and leaves no room for error, since there is a cast time for tendril locomotion, ground pound, ect. Even with UV immunity.

Speaking of which, why can't the NH use melee attacks? Sure sure you are thinking "But Jayce the NH does have melee attacks dur". Yeah? Really? Tell me how many times you have dealt more than 25 damage against a human in a head to head melee brawl. I mean sure the NH shouldn't be better than the human at everything, but at least let him hold his own! I mean really, a runner zombie deals more damage with his melee attacks than a NH.

Add a 15 minute timer to human players so that they cannot just camp a single area until the NH has been killed, and then move up. OR

Make the NH more responsive (Faster cast times, better projectile speed, Faster movement, and less ability interruptions) OR

My personal favorite. Remove the ability to counter the NH so aggressively. Take away the ability to dodge his tackle, increase NH health so that making a mistake doesn't mean certain death, and make it so that landing yellow spit on the player actually does something useful. I cannot tell you how many times I have done everything right, landed that yellow spit, and remained completely unable to get a kill because there are so many ways to exploit the NH abilities and counter him.

Anyways, we all agree that the NH needs a lot of works/buffs. I'm surprised techland hasn't done anything about it yet.

Edited by Nova Scotia

-Hunter vision and survival sense -> big no in 1v 1's (talking about survival sense) in 1v2+ its accually interesting to make the game harder

-15 min timer is big no from me

-About NH speed...are you serious? With tendril->sprint he's faster than a buggy and with zig-zag technique humans almoust never dodge my tackles

Sounds to me you havent played NH much and this is the usual topics/suggestions that new NH players post, here's what you can do watch some gameplay video's on youtube and practice them what they do especially from this video and player which i think he's the best NH in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0mzIJSWtsg

-Hunter vision and survival sense -> big no in 1v 1's (talking about survival sense) in 1v2+ its accually interesting to make the game harder

-15 min timer is big no from me

-About NH speed...are you serious? With tendril->sprint he's faster than a buggy and with zig-zag technique humans almoust never dodge my tackles

Sounds to me you havent played NH much and this is the usual topics/suggestions that new NH players post, here's what you can do watch some gameplay video's on youtube and practice them what they do especially from this video and player which i think he's the best NH in the world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0mzIJSWtsg

LOL. Zigzag technique. There is no zigzag technique, unless the survivor has his look sensitivity turned all the way down he will be able to match your movement no matter what you do. You haven't watched me play NH yet, I win 90% of my games, but then again I typically fight noobs who can't play survivor to save their life. The other 10% of good survivor players cannot be beaten under any circumstance that doesn't involve lag or intoxication. Its not that they are better than me, and its not that I'm better than them, its that the game is completely unbalanced and needs some major fixes to make the zombie mode competitive for both parties, and not just one.

LOL. Zigzag technique. There is no zigzag technique, unless the survivor has his look sensitivity turned all the way down he will be able to match your movement no matter what you do. You haven't watched me play NH yet, I win 90% of my games, but then again I typically fight noobs who can't play survivor to save their life. The other 10% of good survivor players cannot be beaten under any circumstance that doesn't involve lag or intoxication. Its not that they are better than me, and its not that I'm better than them, its that the game is completely unbalanced and needs some major fixes to make the zombie mode competitive for both parties, and not just one.

Soooo... You're a good NH but prey on the players who are new to the game??? How's that make you good? I'm trying to figure out how you can say the game needs balancing but you win 90% of your games... Do the humans need buffs? Or are you just one of those people who chupacabra because you lost one game to people clearly better than you? I really want to know where the problem lies if you win as much as you say you do

This is such, the game is at it's current state pretty balanced. I play this mode a lot, 580 hours into the game now, I play both human and night hunter, and I win 90% of all matches. The only thing they need to fix is the annoying telebombers and the annoying message poping up asking if you want to continue with invasions on or not 10 chupacabra times.

Edited by Chaos_Deception
Abbreviated swear removed

Yes the NH is severely under powered when facing a survivor of equal skill. The survivors simply hunt the night hunter down and kill it,especially if there is more than one human player NH against 2 or 3 humans is simply impossible (unless they are really bad). Even one human hunting down the NH is enough to keep them occupied while firends kill the nest.

Here are the main problems:

1) The nighthunter isn't tough. In a 1:1 match up the night hunter should be be much tougher, BUT should heal much slower, so it has a good health pool but can be whittled over time. This allows the NH to hit and run and get away. but each time it does os it gets weaker, unless it spends alot of time healing (this is the time the humans use to kill nests), so it's not a question of dead NH, but wounded one, so the humans have to kill nests while still under some fear of the NH.

2) Flares. flare spam is just impossible. Some humans have 1000s of flares. They can just walk in and throw down a ring of flares to kill nests. especially with friends, one just keeps the flares on while the other kills nests, no possibility of pouncing, at all, because you must pass through the ring of flares. Flares can be insta spammed any time UV spit hits (without even changing equipment) making UV spit of little use unless you really catch them off guard).  A simply macro of change to flare, throw flare, change to UV light means a 1 button push to chuck flares as much as you want.

3) Dodge. NH doesn't have it, so can't dodge drop kicks and death from above, but humans do and it leaves the NH vulnerable. Missed pounce, missed tackle, missed ground pound = instead death. Humans with 250 levels, gold weapons etc will kill you instantly on a miss. One guy i played just dodged, and shot explosive arrows boom, insta death before you can move.

4) NH can not escape humans with a speed potion (endless supply) they can just chase you down. Use UV chase, use UV chase, even if the NH uses shield the human will catch you before your shield recharges. It ends up to be a relentless chance across the map. until the NH is dead. In almost every game against good players the NH is the prey.

So here is what I think needs to be done.

1) 6 minute timer per nest (humans have to kill each nest on a 6 minute timer) that is 30 minute matches, which is a good length. Prevents humans from camping and drawing out the time. there is no motivator to destroy nests while the NH is out there. Humans have every incentive to hunt the NH first. Timer would make it a choice between hunting the NH and killing nests and you'd be losing time chasing the NH across the map, this would give the NH some ability to get away as long as they went far enough.

2) Flare limit. There should simply be a limit on the number of flares the humans can use per encounter. Use them all up, and you are at a serious disadvantage. Flares should be per team. (so more humans split the flares) Not sure what the number would be, but allowing humans to have flares going constantly the whole map is a bit much.

3) Prevent the use of the grappling hook AND the UV light at the same time. This is a no brainier, as it is supremely unrealistic, the GH should require both arms to use (or one would get torn out of it's socket). One equipment in use at a time, that you can throw the GH, switch to UV and beam UV to your destination is too much. humans should be vulnerable on the GH. This would make humans think twice about all out pursuit of the NH. or if they see the NH up on a roof, prevent them from just charging in. Creates more of a waiting game. Two hunters would have to cover each other on the GH.

4) reduce the period of downtime on missed (dodged) attacks by the NH or keep more momentum going so they can escape afterwards. They will still get UVed to death, but it wont result in insta death against any good player.

5) do away with the mutation reset. Most players in Dying light are already well leveled and equipped. resetting the NH to 0 just to get a couple more spits and such is alot of tedious work and not really fun.

The game really shoudl be about the hunter stalking the humans, not the other way round.

Edited by Shockwave

Yes the NH is severely under powered when facing a survivor of equal skill. The survivors simply hunt the night hunter down and kill it,especially if there is more than one human player NH against 2 or 3 humans is simply impossible (unless they are really bad). Even one human hunting down the NH is enough to keep them occupied while firends kill the nest.

Here are the main problems:

1) The nighthunter isn't tough. In a 1:1 match up the night hunter should be be much tougher, BUT should heal much slower, so it has a good health pool but can be whittled over time. This allows the NH to hit and run and get away. but each time it does os it gets weaker, unless it spends alot of time healing (this is the time the humans use to kill nests), so it's not a question of dead NH, but wounded one, so the humans have to kill nests while still under some fear of the NH.

2) Flares. flare spam is just impossible. Some humans have 1000s of flares. They can just walk in and throw down a ring of flares to kill nests. especially with friends, one just keeps the flares on while the other kills nests, no possibility of pouncing, at all, because you must pass through the ring of flares. Flares can be insta spammed any time UV spit hits (without even changing equipment) making UV spit of little use unless you really catch them off guard).  A simply macro of change to flare, throw flare, change to UV light means a 1 button push to chuck flares as much as you want.

3) Dodge. NH doesn't have it, so can't dodge drop kicks and death from above, but humans do and it leaves the NH vulnerable. Missed pounce, missed tackle, missed ground pound = instead death. Humans with 250 levels, gold weapons etc will kill you instantly on a miss. One guy i played just dodged, and shot explosive arrows boom, insta death before you can move.

4) NH can not escape humans with a speed potion (endless supply) they can just chase you down. Use UV chase, use UV chase, even if the NH uses shield the human will catch you before your shield recharges. It ends up to be a relentless chance across the map. until the NH is dead. In almost every game against good players the NH is the prey.

So here is what I think needs to be done.

1) 6 minute timer per nest (humans have to kill each nest on a 6 minute timer) that is 30 minute matches, which is a good length. Prevents humans from camping and drawing out the time. there is no motivator to destroy nests while the NH is out there. Humans have every incentive to hunt the NH first. Timer would make it a choice between hunting the NH and killing nests and you'd be losing time chasing the NH across the map, this would give the NH some ability to get away as long as they went far enough.

2) Flare limit. There should simply be a limit on the number of flares the humans can use per encounter. Use them all up, and you are at a serious disadvantage. Flares should be per team. (so more humans split the flares) Not sure what the number would be, but allowing humans to have flares going constantly the whole map is a bit much.

3) Prevent the use of the grappling hook AND the UV light at the same time. This is a no brainier, as it is supremely unrealistic, the GH should require both arms to use (or one would get torn out of it's socket). One equipment in use at a time, that you can throw the GH, switch to UV and beam UV to your destination is too much. humans should be vulnerable on the GH. This would make humans think twice about all out pursuit of the NH. or if they see the NH up on a roof, prevent them from just charging in. Creates more of a waiting game. Two hunters would have to cover each other on the GH.

4) reduce the period of downtime on missed (dodged) attacks by the NH or keep more momentum going so they can escape afterwards. They will still get UVed to death, but it wont result in insta death against any good player.

5) do away with the mutation reset. Most players in Dying light are already well leveled and equipped. resetting the NH to 0 just to get a couple more spits and such is alot of tedious work and not really fun.

The game really shoudl be about the hunter stalking the humans, not the other way round.

Agreed. I already made a thread like that called "Skilled NHs and Humans - You don't get the point". Apparently, Techland will never make BtZ like that and it's a game ALL about skill even though it's imbalanced.

Hunters need to be extremely skilled to even take on two pro humans(let alone 1), and a human needs to be skilled, but they don't have to work as hard because of the imbalance.

One other suggestion is to make the NH appear very close the active nest. Right now the spawning is very imbalanced. If I horde spit a player and then fight him to keep him on the ground with tackles and ground pound and he kills me and then dies to the horde (which was the goal). He kills my nest. He spawns practically on the nest and I spawn half a map away. By the time i get there the nest is gone. Spawn the humans farther from the nest and the hunter right near it. This would also have a good side effect of chasing the hunter. Sure you can chase him, but if you chase him too far, then kill the NH he will be back at the nest waiting for you before you get back. This would create a kind of escape route for the hunter, drawing the humans away from the nest would be a tactic. They would have to call off the pursuit when getting too far away from the nest.

Firstly players who post these suggestions never experienced playing both sides thoroughly its a common complain about it.
NH is what it is right now and his mobility is now insane if done properly and attacking in the right moment...there are alot of apexes who havent touched human side or they just downloaded (i presume my save game from Nexus...) and if they lose they call you a cheater.

And how should i call it? NH on NoS? Clearly you move in zig-zagging until you find the right time for tackles or gp's or swipes because pounce is pretty useless against skilled humans, the only thing is worth to use it is to get close or use it to keep them in spit aoe explosion...you win 90 % of the games, yea well clearly you were fought against people who just started the mode and they dont understand it yet about the mechanics etc.
Humans and NH's are equal on every point now...NH has insane mobility while humans have tricks in their sleeves, the point is to attack when they are least expecting or when theyre busy, most common tactic in 1v2+ machups is there's always 1-2 human's who deal with the hunter and support human's who attack the nests. I dont need to watch you when you play NH because i believe if you are vs experienced human's you lose most of the time because your main problem is map awareness and they pretty much lock you all the time either insta kills as bait on spikes or DFA's or chain dropkicks...

Edited by XeNoN

Firstly players who post these suggestions never experienced playing both sides thoroughly its a common complain about it.

NH is what it is right now and his mobility is now insane if done properly and attacking in the right moment...there are alot of apexes who havent touched human side or they just downloaded (i presume my save game from Nexus...) and if they lose they call you a cheater.

And how should i call it? NH on NoS? Clearly you move in zig-zagging until you find the right time for tackles or gp's or swipes because pounce is pretty useless against skilled humans, the only thing is worth to use it is to get close or use it to keep them in spit aoe explosion...you win 90 % of the games, yea well clearly you were fought against people who just started the mode and they dont understand it yet about the mechanics etc.

Humans and NH's are equal on every point now...NH has insane mobility while humans have tricks in their sleeves, the point is to attack when they are least expecting or when theyre busy, most common tactic in 1v2+ machups is there's always 1-2 human's who deal with the hunter and support human's who attack the nests. I dont need to watch you when you play NH because i believe if you are vs experienced human's you lose most of the time because your main problem is map awareness and they pretty much lock you all the time either insta kills as bait on spikes or DFA's or chain dropkicks...

And you sound like everyone else...

"If u say it's imbalanced, then you suck".

Not true.

A player by the name of Hertz is a good NH, but he accepted the fact, that you people ignore, that this game mode is indeed imbalanced.

Hell, I could be a kickass NH. The problem still stands. Like I said, it's not about "Omfg I just want to win everything". It's about balancing the game.

Period.

What makes me mad is people uploading glitches and ways to insta-kill and troll hunters.

It makes me think that they think we're nothing but AI.

AI that gets nothing but abused and more ways to get abused every day.

But we're not AI we're actual players getting abused by the game's exploits.

Some really good points here.

I feel like flares are not limited enough (along with healthkits). I still like my idea to give the NH buffs as a function of human item use. Let them use as many as they want.... but if they use a silly amount the NH would be buffed to crazy proportions.

Grappling and switching to UV light is super cheese...... especially if they abuse the wall hang maneuver (they can shine light indefinitely and you can't even see him turned around and the light wont drain...... automatic pounce cancel).

Missing a dodge should very simply take away half of the survivor's stamina (even if he ignores stamina). If he misses a dodge again he should be de-winded and have to wait a stamina rest cycle. That would still be twice as generous as the penalty for ground pound.

Also I hate to say it but the only reason the zombie has the mutation and skill reset is to always (in theory) have someone for the player to be invaded by so that a constant pvp environment can exist. That being said the balance mechanism for that system sucks. You get matches vs players who have all the skills when you're missing half the tree and that's not right.

And you sound like everyone else...

"If u say it's imbalanced, then you suck".

Not true.

A player by the name of Hertz is a good NH, but he accepted the fact, that you people ignore, that this game mode is indeed imbalanced.

Hell, I could be a kickass NH. The problem still stands. Like I said, it's not about "Omfg I just want to win everything". It's about balancing the game.

Period.

Im just saying that dev's should work more, hell man...i posted also some ideas to improve gameplay more...its not about balance its more about gameplay stuff, if you playing alot btz you know it too. Also i never said that someone sucks i just wanted to say that people should pay attention to the game and map awareness most ppl dont look mini map and for that reason they get killed and think its unbalanced.

Thank you Shockwave, you nailed it. I agree with everything he has said, and yes flares are nearly infinite (Especially so for people who got in on it pre-patch when you could exploit the game and get infinite amounts of them).

Why are we, as Night Hunters being hunted down by humans? Do you run at a SWAT zombie like a maniac trying to destroy it with your melee weapon? No, typically when you do that (only tested on nightmare mode) you get destroyed. The swat zombie isn't even in the same league with the night hunter, not by a long shot. So when I see a human player chasing me down the map with a pocket knife and a flashlight, it makes me feel a little bit irritated that I have to leave since he is going to kill me if I do not figure out how to kill this guy.

There does indeed need to be a timer, and 6 minutes is very fair. Why go for the objective as the human? Once you kill the NH, he will be gone long enough for you to kill a nest and be halfway to the next one. The logical thing to do as a human player is to simply chase the NH until he inevitably messes up and dies. You see, a mistake on the Night Hunters part means inevitable death, however a human player can make several mistakes without needing to worry about losing everything. ESPECIALLY if there are other players around, if one person makes a simple mistake, the next guy will easily be able to cover for him.

Who does the zombie have to help him? A couple under powered exploders... a biter? You know maybe if they would leave the zombies on the map, and just remove the volatile zombies, there wouldn't be so many issues. It doesn't exactly make sense that the zombie horde disappears the moment the Night Hunter moves in.

You mean 6 minutes for one nest or group of nests ? at the start you have 5 groups of nests. What do you mean exactly ?

There does indeed need to be a timer, and 6 minutes is very fair. Why go for the objective as the human? Once you kill the NH, he will be gone long enough for you to kill a nest and be halfway to the next one.