GrandPappyWilliams

A Night Hunter's Way To Counter Dropkicks

I've been thinking a bit about this lately, and I was wondering "What if the Night Hunter could counter dropkicks in a way similar to how humans evade tackles?"

My idea for this is that while you're in the animation lock as a human is right about to dropkick you, you could sort of counter-attack by pressing a certain button/key (let's use the melee button for example and for future reference), it would go into an animation where the NH would grab the midair survivor by his ankles and slam him into the ground, canceling out the dropkick and maybe damage the survivor a little, or maybe something that would throw the survivor behind you. (Also, I think it'd be pretty funny to just grab a survivor like that and just sorta go like "Nope!" and slam him onto the ground onto his back or throw him into spikes behind you.).

But of course, it could only be done when a survivor attempts a dropkick in front of you, like with how humans can evade a tackle from the front, but not from the back.

This is just a little suggestion of mine, and I don't expect that it'd get implemented in the actual game any time soon, but I wanted to give my two cents and see what others have to think! :D

EDIT : I realize that the NH's tackle can now beat out dropkicks, but I've never seen that happen yet. Mostly because when I go to attempt a tackle, survivors stop trying to run at me for a dropkick and instead spam dodge back. Any other situation where I can't attempt it is because there's usually a source of UV light or two keeping my energy fully drained, thus unable to sprint and reduced to a snail's pace and completely vulnerable to anything and everything, especially dropkicks, and most of the time, you can barely ground pound them away before they dropkick you silly. :c

Edited by GrandPappyWilliams

THESE IDEAS ARE PERFECT!

When the NH slams the human or throws him it should create a AOE hit so no Humans around him can hurt him.

Also tackle's range beating the dropkick's range is honestly useless, as they can still do a dodge and UV you to death.

Ideas are good.

But i always wondered about this also:

Why Techland if NH (currently) cant avoid DFA's and Dropkicks all have animation lock before it executes on NH.
Its the same evasion window when NH is tackling or pouncing which gives humans to UV or dodge.
To me it was kind of stupid that Techland even input this animation sequences for NH if they never intended NH to evade these moves...

Ideas are good.

But i always wondered about this also:

Why Techland if NH (currently) cant avoid DFA's and Dropkicks all have animation lock before it executes on NH.

Its the same evasion window when NH is tackling or pouncing which gives humans to UV or dodge.

To me it was kind of stupid that Techland even input this animation sequences for NH if they never intended NH to evade these moves...

I'm not sure. That's a pretty good point. I mean, there's always that one person trying to defend things like that saying things like "Oh, you shouldn't have let yourself get under the survivor in the first place, duh. UV block and pounce midair." as if we always have a UV block handy with us at all times and the survivor isn't constantly focusing his light on us. Same thing goes for dropkicks. "Just spit at them or UV block or spit smash and get away."

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, the "solutions" that the majority of people suggest are usually so situational and aren't always applicable to hunters. Not every NH knows better, and not every time do we have the utilities necessary to prevent such situations where we would otherwise be doomed to die because of a single minor mistake on our part that could only prevented if the survivor makes several mistakes. If we have no spits available, or no UV blocks, then is it just "Oh well! Sucks to be you! You made a slight error so now you've gotta be punished with little to no chance that you'll get outta there alive." because it sure seems like it. Why must the NH have to be so skilled and require every little specific detail in order to stop something that the survivor requires little to no skill that he just pulls out of his chupacabra, and just the press of a few buttons in order to accomplish!? It's absurd!

I agree with this, as the dreaded "drop-kick tri-fecta" is one of the most annoying things to get done to you as a NH, aside from DFA. What I typically try to do, is spam the spit button so that I stick them just before they kick me, usually tagging 2 - 3 people with it. If we could counter it either as a dodge, a counter, or at least a spit maneuver; it would be awesome. Also, I think that DFA's shouldn't be able to be dodged if you are on the ground, but you should have a chance to if you fall for more than 3 seconds. For example: If a survivor is camping on a tower in Old town, and you need to tendril up to them, they can DFA you pretty easily; with a 3 - 5 second cinematic fall ensuing. During that 3 - 5 seconds, both the hunter and survivor should get button prompts to either evade or ensure the DFA. If you are ground pounding, and someone DFA you, you don't have the time to stop it; you know? Also, the night hunter's ground pound radius should be proportionate to the height in which they perform it at. IMO. If i drop over 100 ft in a ground pound cinematic, I should leave a crater, IMO. 

I'm not sure. That's a pretty good point. I mean, there's always that one person trying to defend things like that saying things like "Oh, you shouldn't have let yourself get under the survivor in the first place, duh. UV block and pounce midair."

It's not just "one" person, dev said it by himself that a way to counter DFA is to be aware of humans positions and stay on high grounds/

It's not just "one" person, dev said it by himself that a way to counter DFA is to be aware of humans positions and stay on high grounds/

I was just using that as an example to lead up to my main point, it's not meant to be taken as the whole discussion. And by "one person," I meant most people in general, and the things they say. I didn't mean it as if the dev's advice is any less significant.

Edited by GrandPappyWilliams

I agree with the points raised here. However, remembering, some of us NH's are quite good at landing quick and consecutive GPs. And usually save a UV block for those "minor mistakes" that are inevitably made.

If I was able to counter the dropkick, I assure you that I would decimate human teams. Im not tooting my own horn here, as I still get rekt 50% of the time by humans who can efficiently grapple, UV light then tackle + melee when chasing me down. But for those humans who aren't as quick to switch inventory as fast, I feel the NH has sufficient arsenal to effectively win every game. Adding a way to dodge one of the only ways a human can turn the tide of GP spam and it would be GG every time...

As for DFA, its like the devs said, avoid missing a GP below a human or having your pounce interrupted when on a high ledge. Its an adequate counter measure for the humans because let's face it: NH can OHK humans with a well timed UV block + pounce.

I agree with the points raised here. However, remembering, some of us NH's are quite good at landing quick and consecutive GPs. And usually save a UV block for those "minor mistakes" that are inevitably made.

If I was able to counter the dropkick, I assure you that I would decimate human teams. Im not tooting my own horn here, as I still get rekt 50% of the time by humans who can efficiently grapple, UV light then tackle + melee when chasing me down. But for those humans who aren't as quick to switch inventory as fast, I feel the NH has sufficient arsenal to effectively win every game. Adding a way to dodge one of the only ways a human can turn the tide of GP spam and it would be GG every time...

As for DFA, its like the devs said, avoid missing a GP below a human or having your pounce interrupted when on a high ledge. Its an adequate counter measure for the humans because let's face it: NH can OHK humans with a well timed UV block + pounce.

Hmm, I see your point. I guess I never really thought of that because I still have a lot to learn, (and my mind was clouded by the memories of when teams of 4 humans would just dropkick me without mercy. Ugh.) that, and I'm not very good at landing those consecutive GP's. I was thinking of something that could help out those players that are still relatively low level NH's, but I never really thought about those Apex Predators that already know what they're doing. Anyways, it was interesting to see what you had to say, and thank you for saying it. ^^

Since when avoiding attacks is a countermeasure? Do survivors avoids their attacks to to kill NH?

It's not like missing GP is invitation to DFA, because most times you'll be just slashed to death after that miss (i don't know why it have to be fatal for hunter). What i'm talking about is DFA dodge when you are looking directly on falling human, NH doesn't have UV shield and full stamina bar all the times in check to pounce and avoid it.

Also, having pounce interrupted or not  does not depend on NH but survivor who is interrupting it, the dev said that i have to stay high grounds to avoid DFA, but now you are saying that i shouldn't use pounce on high ground, because i'll fall and human will DFA on me. Summing up, NH have to stay high grounds, avoid GPs and avoid pounces on high grounds, that leaves NH with his spits and tackles only. what's the point of those attacks if they all lead to your inevitable death when missed (while i have to tackle human 4-5 times to kill him and each missed tackle is one slash on hunter - 2-3 slashes and NH is dead, 2s of inactivity and human have all his wounds healed on normal)?

I don't understand why NH is vulnerable to attacks when he is in pounce animation (it's not like i can do something about that), i died few times because i managed to pounce somebody and other survivors just ganged up on me, the moment i jumped off i just died, that was my  reward for successfull attack.

NH can OHK human, but he have to earn a right to do so. Nobody who knows what is going on is randomly trying to pounce as this is obvious that you die fast. NH can OHK human only in full stamina and it's an art to keep it full in group of 4 players where you are in the spotlight most the times.

In the end, the most noticable change was tendrill2run ability, which almost changed everything in NH gameplay, now you can tendrill to the human or behind him and try to tackle, this is the most usefull skill the NH have, it made shoving humans from the roofs more efficient than ever, it's easier to tackle than GP, and you are not sentenced to death right away if you miss it.