Sign in to follow this  
Deleted_Account

Problems With Current Difficulty Modes

Difficulty modes are currently really flawed.

At max survivor level, normal mode becomes far too easy, but hard mode has the perfect balance of zombie health and power (in my opinion). However, the shops only sell weapons, I don't want to have to scavenge for everything, that just isn't fun. And survivor sense doesn't find loot, that's just painful.           (and nightmare is just for people who put a lot into legendary levels, it doesn't solve anything)

The problem: High level players are torn between the game being really easy, or being forced to not be able to purchase things at stores or find loot with survivor sense.

Easy Solution:
- Hard mode should be renamed survivor mode, and have maybe a few more immersive or hardcore changes made to it, such as a much slower timescale.
- New "hard mode" shouldn't include the store/survival sense changes.

More complex solution:
- There could be 3 different dificulty options, for: timescale, scavenging/shop difficulty, and enemy difficulty.

- Nightmare difficulty for example, would be one of the options under enemy difficulty, except the longer nights would just be an option under timescale.

(This would be like a dream come true, especially if it was in session-options) It would make it so no one is torn between two equally un-enjoyable difficulty modes!

The menu could be something like this:

YHH9B3o.png

I agree. I have thought the same exact things. In the sequel they need a difficulty like the Metro games between normal-hard/nightmare, then a new mode that makes it a survival horror/survival game.

Those difficulty options look nice too, so you can tailor the game the exact way. Maybe even have a option to fine tune the spawns/dmg/health of monsters.

Edited by Warablo

The virals are annoying, they just spawn out of nowhere. I put the view distance on high and I can actually see them appear not far away getting spawned on me. I killed a zombie near a van and a viral spawned two feet away. They should be mixed in with existing herds and roamers. Having them spawn out of nowhere is kind of a bad choice. It`s also a joke how they know exactly where you are everytime. They should be more the night hunters that patrol around and even those chupacabra things spawn out of nowhere too. It`s like impossible to clear to an area when mobs just keep coming and coming. Especially the hunters and virals.

I used to think the virals were pretty cool at first and a nice touch. But after a number of them comparable to the population of a small country, it gets old. Hand grenads don`t ever outright kill them on nightmare. You need to lob like half a dozen!

The virals are annoying, they just spawn out of nowhere. I put the view distance on high and I can actually see them appear not far away getting spawned on me. I killed a zombie near a van and a viral spawned two feet away. They should be mixed in with existing herds and roamers. Having them spawn out of nowhere is kind of a bad choice. It`s also a joke how they know exactly where you are everytime. They should be more the night hunters that patrol around and even those chupacabra things spawn out of nowhere too. It`s like impossible to clear to an area when mobs just keep coming and coming. Especially the hunters and virals.

I used to think the virals were pretty cool at first and a nice touch. But after a number of them comparable to the population of a small country, it gets old. Hand grenads don`t ever outright kill them on nightmare. You need to lob like half a dozen!

The Bombers+Virals combo are beginning to rain on my enjoyment in the new expansion, on Nightmare Mode.

They REALLY overdid it with this spawn-a-wolfpack-of-virals-out-of-thin-air-in-close-proximity mechanic. I might've killed as many virals as I have biters now ever since I started The Following. It quickly became a chore that's broken a completely Kinged-out orange tier, and now it's doing in my 2nd already, down to my last repair. It doesn't feel like a challenge. I think they really made a big mistake here. It's forcing the player into far too much combat which I don't think is how it should be.

And it's unfortunate because I like the virals. I don't like the Bombers though. I don't think a fun enemy type is one that serves no purpose other than to agro another enemy type that is far more enveloping and fun to deal with (at least on Hard Mode and below) and there be absolutely no way to counter it's annoying attribute.

Edited by Wolfman

Yeah, in the following whenever you make noise it takes 4-8 seconds for like 6 virals to be on top of you. (I'm on hard) but I experienced similar viral behavior on normal mode.  

tbh I think that it should take 30 seconds for the virals to get to you, and there should be less. And there should either be a cooldown on spawning virals, or a more complicated area-based cooldown for virals (like if you cleared a certain area of virals temporarilly) to allow you to use guns to fight off the virals that were attracted. I mean, the following is suposed to be about guns, but they're currently pointless (just fun to mess around with I guess).