Deleted_Account

Night-Walkers In Daytime? [Bug]

Problem: I've noticed that during the day time some biters undergo night-walker mutations, but then behave as Virals (and beg for lives, dodge, etc). This is completely lore breaking for obvious reasons. Maybe this "feature" is intentional, however the viral behavior must be some sort of an oversight.  For me this is extremely annoying, and makes the following a lot less fun, because it makes no sense whatsoever.  Also after one changes, a bunch of others start changing too, which makes it seem like even more of a bug (that is a similar pattern to night walkers).

If this bug is intentional and a "feature" (Which I doubt) A simple solution could be to give them toned-down night walker behavior instead of viral behavior. (Running, climbing, and aggression, but not dodging or begging for lives)

This would fit perfect with the lore (as night walkers would just be more common and powerful at night, where the virus isn't being suppressed) 

I've noticed that some military biters will do this already, except it's only in certain locations, and they have their own sound affects and AI (and are really deep voiced). This isn't lore breaking (because they don't have viral AI), and a cool feature.  (I'm just upset about viral AI being put on normal biters for no conceivable reason!) the lore reason behind this may be because of exposure to that blue mist stuff.

Video of the bug happening:

For those of you who don't know what Virals and night-walkers are:

Virals:

- Freshly turned humans, still retain human characteristics.

- As fast as player, good climbers.

- Relatively aggressive

- Sometimes dodge backwards and circle player.

- When hit in the face can become conscious as a human for a few moments, and plead/cry for mercy.

Night Walkers:

- Biters that mutate during the absence of UV Light (During night time) Usually when aggravated.

- The mutation makes them uglier, they get more cuts on their skin and stuff.

- A lot faster than player, good climbers

- EXTREMELY aggressive

- Do not dodge backwards, but will duck from attacks.

- Mildly sensitive to UV light (Will shield face from UV)

They get their speed for COMPLETELY DIFFERENT REASONS. Just because they're both fast doesn't mean they're the same thing.

*edit*

I just noticed that there are no night-walkers (well, normal ones) in the following, maybe this is related.

Edited by VanuCultist

Once in the original game, I decided to have fun with a biter on the roof. So i started kicking it around back and forth, having a jolly good time of it. However after a while of this, the zombie decided he wouldnt put up with my antics anymore and underwent a gnarly transformation into a viral! He was shaking and growling and blood was oozing out of his body, wound decals popped up on the character model, and after this metamorphosis he suddenly he lunged at me with the speed of a viral! I led him on a merry chase but i just couldnt shake him, so i had to put him down for good. Tried to recreate it with a coop buddy present, but to no avail. A Bug or a feature? Anybody looked into this?

Edited by Kneecap

Noticed this as well (Playing in Nightmare Mode). I assumed it was a characteristic of the Difficulty.

I figured that it makes sense because the Virus is mutating so the regular zombies are becoming more aggressive during the day.

But that was just speculation on my part.

This is a feature....community wished for (me too) and its great....i love it that normal day time zombies change and get virals....THATS HOW IT WAS IN PREVIOUS GAMEPLAY VIDEO OF THE GAME BEFORE RELEASE.......its just sad that this only happens in the following and not in old town and slums.........

its a feature, because when you first start the following and must go to the bandit ranch to get the car, kyle walks trough the field and the zombies arround mutate into virals, and kyle is just saying " WHAT THE..."....kyle is suprised too...

but for me agreat new feature

This is a feature....community wished for (me too) and its great....i love it that normal day time zombies change and get virals....THATS HOW IT WAS IN PREVIOUS GAMEPLAY VIDEO OF THE GAME BEFORE RELEASE.......its just sad that this only happens in the following and not in old town and slums.........

its a feature, because when you first start the following and must go to the bandit ranch to get the car, kyle walks trough the field and the zombies arround mutate into virals, and kyle is just saying " WHAT THE..."....kyle is suprised too...

What previous video was that. Prior to release it was that the Infected would become more aggressive at nught. The times when they showed the aggressive Biters in preperation release videos were at Dusk/Dawn and Night, not mid day. Having Biters change back to Virals during the day breaks the lore. Virals were recently turned humans, so the UV exposure didn't effect them as much. Biters however would becomr mire docile due to virus progessing and reacting to UV light. At night the Biters could revert back to their more aggressive Viral forms once the sun set due to the change in UV light exposure. Having the aggressive Biters during the day changes the original lore about their behavior.

And I don't recall Kyle saying "What the." in response to the Infected on the way to the farm. He says "What the." after being informed that he should properly arm himself because the farm is actually a bandit outpost and he wasn't informed before leaving.

You're wrong about everything.

First of all, those are not virals.  VIRALS ARE THE FRESHLY TURNED ZOMBIES THAT STILL HAVE SOME HUMANITY TO THEM.

Second of all, that video was of an existing feature, biters already do mutate into fast zombies, they're called night walkers.  They do that AT NIGHT TIME, and they do not have viral-specific behavior such as pleading for their lives after being hit on the head.

Once in the original game, I decided to have fun with a biter on the roof. So i started kicking it around back and forth, having a jolly good time of it. However after a while of this, the zombie decided he wouldnt put up with my antics anymore and underwent a gnarly transformation into a viral! He was shaking and growling and blood was oozing out of his body, wound decals popped up on the character model, and after this metamorphosis he suddenly he lunged at me with the speed of a viral! I led him on a merry chase but i just couldnt shake him, so i had to put him down for good. Tried to recreate it with a coop buddy present, but to no avail. A Bug or a feature? Anybody looked into this?

The ugly biters with the wounds and stuff that go under mutation are "night walkers" that normally only happens at night, the lore around that is that the virus is able to mutate them quickly because there is no light around.

Edited by VanuCultist

What previous video was that. Prior to release it was that the Infected would become more aggressive at nught. The times when they showed the aggressive Biters in preperation release videos were at Dusk/Dawn and Night, not mid day. Having Biters change back to Virals during the day breaks the lore. Virals were recently turned humans, so the UV exposure didn't effect them as much. Biters however would becomr mire docile due to virus progessing and reacting to UV light. At night the Biters could revert back to their more aggressive Viral forms once the sun set due to the change in UV light exposure. Having the aggressive Biters during the day changes the original lore about their behavior.

And I don't recall Kyle saying "What the." in response to the Infected on the way to the farm. He says "What the." after being informed that he should properly arm himself because the farm is actually a bandit outpost and he wasn't informed before leaving.

no there are some old previous videos in the slums where normal zombies run after you at normal daytime, not dusk or dawn.....

and with the "what the"...in my german version he is saying it much much earlier...when i first started to run trough the field full of zombies...there first time the daytime zombies change and run after you, to show you early the change

You're wrong about everything.

First of all, those are not virals.  VIRALS ARE THE FRESHLY TURNED ZOMBIES THAT STILL HAVE SOME HUMANITY TO THEM.

Second of all, that video was of an existing feature, biters already do mutate into fast zombies, they're called night walkers.  They do that AT NIGHT TIME, and they do not have viral-specific behavior such as pleading for their lives after being hit on the head.

The ugly biters with the wounds and stuff that go under mutation are "night walkers" that normally only happens at night, the lore around that is that the virus is able to mutate them quickly because there is no light around.

omg...i just call them virals because this is the only name i know for them......and because they change at daytime........why should that be a BUG?? Haha.....when we fight at daytime against a group or0f them...or even agains the new biggermilitary zombies, there you also can see that they change at daytime and the military zombies got a fresh new sound when they mutated into faster zombies........this is clearly a new feature.....and like i said at the beginning when he runs trough the field to search for the car, zombies mutate arround him and kyle is suprised too.....WITHOUT TALKING WITH KAAN !!!

so you are wrong and not me.....you can ask the developers if you want......why should that be a night time bug which appears at daytime now?? Haha

no there are some old previous videos in the slums where normal zombies run after you at normal daytime, not dusk or dawn.....

and with the "what the"...in my german version he is saying it much much earlier...when i first started to run trough the field full of zombies...there first time the daytime zombies change and run after you, to show you early the change

omg...i just call them virals because this is the only name i know for them......and because they change at daytime........why should that be a BUG?? Haha.....when we fight at daytime against a group or0f them...or even agains the new biggermilitary zombies, there you also can see that they change at daytime and the military zombies got a fresh new sound when they mutated into faster zombies........this is clearly a new feature.....and like i said at the beginning when he runs trough the field to search for the car, zombies mutate arround him and kyle is suprised too.....WITHOUT TALKING WITH KAAN !!!

so you are wrong and not me.....you can ask the developers if you want......why should that be a night time bug which appears at daytime now?? Haha

You have no idea what you're talking about. The part that I have issue with is the VIRAL SPECIFIC behavior, such as pleading for their lives when hit in the head. Lore-wise only fresh zombies do that, not mutated biters. 

Night walkers on the other hand, COULD be out in the daytime, the lore could be adapted that crazy biters are just more common at night (However it's still kind of weird, but not near as bad as biters turning into virals)

Edited by VanuCultist

Whatever the reason, I love the fact that day time zombies now mutate in to 'Viral' types.... Make for a so much more exciting Nightmare mode...

LOVE IT !!!!

*Screams in agony*  Dude, the Virals are the FRESHLY TURNED zombies.  They beg for their lives when whacked in the head.     Biters can't mutate into Virals.

Obviously what they were intending was a daytime variant of the "night walker", as they undergo the same mutation animation. 

THE BUG IS THE FACT THAT THEY HAVE VIRAL SPECIFIC BEHAVIORS SUCH AS BEGGING FOR THEIR LIVES. There's no way it's not a bug or oversight.

Edited by VanuCultist

FUUUUUU-  Dude, the virals are the FRESHLY TURNED zombies.  They beg for their lives when whacked in the head.     Biters can't mutate into virals.

Obviously what they were intending was a daytime variant of the "night walker", as they undergo the same mutation animation. 

THE BUG IS THE FACT THAT *SOME* OF THEM HAVE VIRAL SPECIFIC BEHAVIORS SUCH AS BEGGING FOR THEIR LIVES (other's dont) There's no way it's not a bug or oversight.

Who cares? Except you! Kill Zombies,get XP and loot stuff. Thats all that matters.

I guess its an oversight; its easier to just port the entire AI behaviour and its associated sounds over to another "class" of actor in the game, rather than making it up from scratch. Like with how the one reclamation infected are just an enlarged enforcer zombie. (Wich annoys me, because they didnt even bother to remove his helmet or change his armour, so its comically enlarged just like the zombie itself. So its so darn obvious they just went into the 3d mdoelling programm and changed some size values.:P)

When it happen in my game I didn't tought it was a bug, but rather a cool feature, it makes you keep the eye in the zombie you think is already dead, but then BOOM it goes berseker on your a5s also Techland DID said they would change enemy AI so I agree with this difficulty.

I've watched the old videos and the only time you see the Biters change into Night Walkers is after the sun is setting. The original explanation was that as the sun sets the Infected grow stronger. (Which is a result of the lack of UV light.) I've also noticed in the past that Night Walkers, just like Night Hunters and Volatiles don't like UV lights. If I stood near the UV lights of a safe zone the Volatiles and Night Walkers would remain at bay, while the Biters and Virals approach like normal. The rising of the Sun would then send them scurrying away, and put the Night Walkers back to their more docile Biter form, as the Volatiles sought out dark zones. Now when the Sun rises the Night Hunters and Volatiles run away seeking dark zones, but the Night Walkers remain Night Walkers. It's like the Enchanted Edition is causing them not to register the Sun's UV light and behave like Virals once they turn. (Before they had to stare at the sun setting before they could turn into a Night Walker... which made hanging around Biters at sunset interesting because you would never know if some of the Biters around you would change and come running after you once they were finished watching the sunset.)

Wrong wrong wrong....

just restart the following and run after leaving jasir his farm on the first pipes.....then you see......dude always i restart it and do this scene, crane is wondering too and around him 4 or 5 daytime zombies change and run after him.. EXACTLY AFTER LEAVING THE FARM AND RUNNING ON THE FIRST PIPES WHEN SEARCHING FOR THE CAR..........i dont care of discussing here anymore......you guy always think your right.......but i swear a dev will change your mind.........THIS IS A FEATURE NOT A BUG.........OMG.....

You really think the devs havnt noticed a "BUG" LIKE THAT WHEN TESTING IT???....they needed over 8 month for the following, longer then someone else......and such an big "bug" was ignored???! ?....i dont think soo......

and with your previews.....well, you look the wrong ones haha.....you are really annoying dude really.....its your hobby to want something from me right?? Go your own way and stop always post another truth on my posts

Wrong wrong wrong....

just restart the following and run after leaving jasir his farm on the first pipes.....then you see......dude always i restart it and do this scene, crane is wondering too and around him 4 or 5 daytime zombies change and run after him.. EXACTLY AFTER LEAVING THE FARM AND RUNNING ON THE FIRST PIPES WHEN SEARCHING FOR THE CAR..........i dont care of discussing here anymore......you guy always think your right.......but i swear a dev will change your mind.........THIS IS A FEATURE NOT A BUG.........OMG.....

You really think the devs havnt noticed a "BUG" LIKE THAT WHEN TESTING IT???....they needed over 8 month for the following, longer then someone else......and such an big "bug" was ignored???! ?....i dont think soo......

and with your previews.....well, you look the wrong ones haha.....you are really annoying dude really.....its your hobby to want something from me right?? Go your own way and stop always post another truth on my posts

Completely incoherent, what you're saying doesn't even begin to make sense (to me, at least).

I think the metamorphosis in day time is intentional, however the viral behavior (crying and pleading for their lives) is definitely an oversight, and completely lore-breaking.

Edited by VanuCultist

Hm, its more scary to me to think that somewhere inside those rotting virus infected brains, theres still a part of the person they were before the infection.

Maybe when they start mutating, the virus spends all its energy and abilities trying to regenerate the muscle tissues so that the biters can run, thus its control over the brain slackens, allowing the old personality of the afflicted person to briefly surface. And thats why you see the viral-like behaviour with pleading and begging for their lives resurface.

Edited by Kneecap

Hm, its more scary to me to think that somewhere inside those rotting virus infected brains, theres still a part of the person they were before the infection.

Maybe when they start mutating, the virus spends all its energy and abilities trying to regenerate the muscle tissues so that the biters can run, thus its control over the brain slackens, allowing the old personality of the afflicted person to briefly surface. And thats why you see the viral-like behaviour with pleading and begging for their lives resurface.

Night walkers don't do that, and these new guys are just night walkers in day time (Same metamorphasis animation) but with viral behavior for some reason.  Plus what you said is lore-breaking too, I mean the more the virus progresses the old human is broken down and then on the ashes something new is built (i.e. volatile, night hunter, etc)

Edited by VanuCultist

Well, I think its entirely reasonable that an extremely aggressive and active virus such as this one has a lot of undiscovered side effects.

They are literally night-walkers in the daytime, but with viral AI...  It's impossible for me to suspend disbelief for such a massive butchering of the lore.

Read what I put in the original post, I edited it and added a section explaining what Virals and Night-Walkers are and why they are completely different. (as it seems everyone is confused about what they are)

Edited by VanuCultist

Wrong wrong wrong....

I don't care about who you are, and I rarely pay attention to the poster when replying. I'm replying to the information that's posted as being incorrect.

And the developers wouldn't have noticed a major bug during testing?... What would you call the double van door bug, and other bugs that were addressed in the latest update. Not everything is caught right away. If the Night Walkers were always ment to behave this way, then how come they didn't until after the Enhanced Edition update? Their behavior of changing after dusk was changed in the base game as well, and not just in the Following. Isn't it a little odd that they'd completely change their behavior a year after the game released?

It's also like the bug introduced in one of the updates that causes Virals to chase after you when you haven't made any loud noises.

I don't see what the big deal is let the night walkers beg for their lives. they may be tired of dying. have u thought about their feeling into consideration? I just think its a little funny thing as well that can be an inside joke for people who experience this