Maverick-Werewolf

Please Continue Kyle Crane's Story (Spoilers For The Following!)

Hi, guys. This was a letter I mailed to Techland. I wish I hadn't abused the word "incredible" so much (and I've added a few more notes to the end), but I meant every word and everything I said still stands. I figured I would post it here, too, to try and make sure it gets seen by someone. I'm still really upset by what happened, and I deeply hope they don't leave things this way and they choose to continue the story, at least to end it on a hopeful note (for Kyle and others), more like the original game's ending. I'm looking forward to more Dying Light story content, and I hope it happens.

Here's the letter, for anyone interested, with my signature removed:

I am a huge fan of Dying Light. I've been a fangirl of Dying Light since before it was released. Roger Craig Smith, one of my very favorite actors, talked to me on Twitter about the game when it was coming out. Him starring in it was what sold me on buying it, but I stayed for everything. Truly, this game knocked me off my feet. I didn't expect such an incredible gameplay experience. Everything about the game captures me. The atmosphere, the gameplay, the art, the music - and, of course, the writing, story, and characters.

I immediately fell in love with your protagonist in particular, Kyle Crane. He's so relateable and lovable, he's a wonderful jerk with a heart of gold, and he always says just what I'm thinking. I simply adore his character and, as an aspiring writer myself, his character and his interactions in the story and with the world have inspired me greatly.

However, to be frank, I was utterly devastated by the end of The Following. I kind of saw it coming, but I was hoping I was wrong. So, I beseech you: please don't let this be the end of Kyle Crane's story. Please. It isn't Dying Light without Kyle Crane. There's still incredible potential with this story. Playing as Kyle while he's a sentient volatile (even the Night Hunter, you know, so his face doesn't get totally messed up) could be an incredibly unique gaming experience in so many ways, and it could be an incredibly unique story as well.

I truly adore every aspect of Dying Light, but the story and the characters (Kyle in particular) is what kept me coming back and what made me play the game in its entirety over four times in a few months (I bought it on two platforms as well, the original game and all the DLC, and I've convinced many friends to buy it as well based on my high praises).

So, again, I'm begging you all: please don't let Kyle's story end like this. The ending of the first game was deeply moving to me, especially in a time of my life when I was going through hardships of my own. Somehow, seeing Kyle conquer all odds, watching the ending with hope for a cure, with the hero staying with his friends, the hero defeating the villain - it inspired me. The ending of The Following upset me deeply. I would love, however, to see a happy ending still come from this. Kyle has a chance to redeem himself, even if his form is mutated. There's still hope for a cure. He can control himself, like the Mother could, and thus he has potential to still help people and fight for his friends. Even, later in the story, he could find a cure and become himself again, instead of having to stereotypically sacrifice himself or devolve into a monster. Endings like those are becoming increasingly overdone, and Dying Light has the chance to be unique (again; it already has before).

I know this thing has gotten very lengthy, and for that I apologize. I cannot deny the incredible passion I feel for Dying Light, its setting, its story, and all its aspects. I want more Kyle Crane in my life. I want to see is story end well for him. I want to see his incredible struggle, be with him every step of the way, guide him through more of your incredible stories in this incredible world. I love Dying Light. It's one of my favorite games of all time (and I've been a gamer all my life). It's left a lifelong impression on me as a gamer and as someone who wants to become a storyteller someday. Dying Light is a beautiful experience. It's more than just a game.

I sincerely hope that, in the future, you consider continuing to let us play as Kyle and tell more stories from his point of view. He's a wonderful character and, to me, this amazing setting would never be the same if we didn't play as him the entire time.

I could continue to sing the praises of Dying Light and prostrate myself before you to beg for mercy for Kyle (and to beg to let us all continue playing as him). I truly feel that his story is not over, nor does it have to be over. I look forward to all the stories left with this protagonist and this setting in this beautiful game.

The way I see it, there are multiple possibilities for handling what happened to Kyle in the ending where he didn't just sacrifice himself...

He could be a sentient zombie, like a Night Hunter (or a volatile but hopefully without those mandibles). He could be slowly mutating more and gain more abilities over time, but he isn't completely inhuman, and he's still largely in control of himself. Maybe he's still slowly mutating more, so it gives a reason to still have the zombie seizures and keep the antizin and stuff (since I loved that element, personally), and still keep that desperation. However, since the Mother never mutated to a point where she lost her intelligence, it makes sense that Kyle wouldn't, either.

The whole thing could've been one giant hallucination. That one would be pretty easy to explain, because - frankly - I initially thought it was. I still really hope it was. Did the Mother even really force enough of the liquid down his throat for it to matter? It sure didn't look like much. Why would he change so fast? Why would he change at all, with that small amount? He certainly doesn't have to. It could've been a hallucination. But maybe, since he did get a small amount of the liquid in his system, he could be mutating faster now. Has more zombie seizures, gives an even more desperate reason to find more antizin and other ways to stave the virus off, etc. But he'd still be human, and under that same threat (I love the zombie seizures in the original game, I'd hate to see them leave).

There are other different ways it could be handled, but I would really hate for this to be the end of Kyle Crane's story. Techland had something truly great going with Dying Light and with Kyle Crane. I hope they don't end it in this way and they choose to pursue unique paths to a more unique (and happy, preferably involving Kyle getting cured or at least left alive and hopeful and searching for a way, like the struggle to maintain antizin while trying to find a cure in the end of the original game, which I thought was a wonderful ending). No matter how they choose to continue Kyle's story, if they do, it'd become a unique experience in multiple ways. I already find Dying Light unique, but they've opened up even more interesting and unusual paths to explore - things gaming hasn't done before. They could break new ground in the zombie genre.

I need more Dying Light in my life - and it isn't Dying Light unless we get to play as Kyle Crane.

He could be a sentient zombie, like a Night Hunter (or a volatile but hopefully without those mandibles...

Haha i agree with most of the things she said. I know u guys will come out with a great story, but just remember Techland- whatever you have in plan, don't ruin Kyle's face  ;)

Thanks for the replies, guys! When I finished the game, I was seriously afraid I might be one of the only people to feel this way about the endings. Having looked around on the forums some more and with the things people said in this thread, I'm very happy to know that - at least - I'm not alone in this regard.

Thank you for reading!

Maverick-Werewolf, of course you're not the only one - look out there, on Steam, forums, etc. I really don't understand the need of the devs to create the whole new expansion just to kill a nice, pleasant protagonist, whose motivation, for a change, is not his egoistical drama (aka my wife is dead and my child is kidnapped), but the desire to save PEOPLE, to help them, to save the world even. Well, it's at least how I see Crane.

And now what? Is he gonna be replaced with no regrets? I can accept that at all.( Also it feels like a terrible mistake of game design, it breaks the conection. I've read before that people actually wants a hopefull ending for the DL game, because it FEELS like it can and actually should have a hopefull ending.

Anyways, just saying.( Because devs and publishers will NEVER do that, never listen, never try it. they are so scared of doing anything like that, probably because they think it would affect the sales... Sales are everything, blah.

I loved the volatile ending. You can tell from the synth score and atmosphere it was heavily inspired by john carpenter and origina George Romero movies...so the apocalyptic ending for me was very appropriate. It was in kyles character not to sacrafice people he cared about. He was willing to give his lifes for jades and risk his for the tower. So him trying to believe the volatlie mother was lying was him talking himself into doing what he thought was right. The toll on his mind didnt help either. And as for the end scene...the night took over, and kyle lost all control and likely spread the outbreak beyond haran.

Now if you want to look for a silver lining...there is a small measure of hope that the doc back in harran, safe in his lab, will eventually be able to secure a cure. So there is still a little tiny bit of hope. Not much but thats the best you can get in apocalypse scenario

I agree so much, i love dying light so much, everything in it but after experience the 2 diffrent endings it kinda bummed me out, so ive kinda stoped playing it cuz it made me so sad to even continue, when jade went out the picture i could live with it but didnt like it but i could still live with it but this ending cmon T_T

Edited by Niffshou

I totally agree! I turned it off because I was so disappointed in the endings. Frankly If the game doesn't redeem itself somehow I'm done with it. I'll sell it off and play something else. I can't express how disappointed in endings I really am. Not cool. 

Well, will you look at that. I think we might have something common :)

I need more Dying Light in my life - and it isn't Dying Light unless we get to play as Kyle Crane.

I'd quote your whole post, but about summarizes the situation for me as well. Though it is a selfish situation. I am on the fence whether or not I'd continue playing Dying Light with Kyle replaced, or Volakyle turning into a villain, but I'd try at least. It's not like I am not okay with Kyle's story coming to an end after the Following. It could have done so differently though.

Let's go into a little more detail... 

The only reason I do not like how the Following played out is the complete futility of everything Kyle did before. He sacrificed his own life already by staying in Harran, rather than carrying out the GRE's orders and being able to return home (and maybe even receiving a cure, since the GRE did have to save face for their intentions leaking).

Instead of deciding to give his old life another shot, he brought a small measure of hope to the people in the Tower (and Harran). They even ended the main Campaign with a silver lining. Then, for the DLC, that hope was dashed. Worse, once the DLC is finished all the hard work he put into it (and the player did as well) is lost. Whether you pick the nuke ending or the actual conclusion that results in a Volakyle, at the end of the day everything he's done is nullified.

To me, these endings smell a bit like they wanted to draw a clean line with Kyle's story and level the slate for something new.

And since I get very attached to the characters I spend a lot of time with, it was disappointing that they'd chose a futile ending, rather than something that brings closure on a positive note. In particular the nuke one made no sense whatsoever. You tried so very hard NOT to get the city blown up. Now you decide that "Eh, whatever.Let's fry the place."?

Now I know these days people seem to dig bad endings and hopelessness, etc.. and throw the whole "In the Apocalypse there aren't good endings." argument around, but eeey--- Kyle Crane :( Whaaaaaaaiiii *throws fangirl fit*  Though I digress here. With flailing arms. And kicking feet. Let's refocus. 

The Nuke ending, some may call it bittersweet, doesn't appear to align with Kyle's motivations from where I am standing. He took to the poor sods in the tower, putting them before the needs of the world. If he'd wanted to save the world, all he'd have had to do was accept the GRE's final offer. Or contact them later on, when he realized his people were dying.

All of his efforts were for those he cared for, rather than what would have been better for the world in general. To have him have such a drastic change of heart is, well... it bothered me a little. Much like the overall story arch of the Following did, in particular how it came to be. If we consider the reason why Kyle leaves Harran to chase down a cure, then we have to assume that the global community has turned its back on the city state/city. But rather than nuking it, they decide to stop dropping Antizin? This sounds like political suicide to me, and again brings me to the conclusion that, while amazing, The Following is here to pave the way for new things.

'sides, it's a video game, and not a narrative driven one, by heart. It's meant to be a blast, and the audience it caters to are likely to dig those endings. And there's nothing really wrong with it, or any of its endings. That I'd have preferred to have seen Kyle get some sweet closure, omitting the bitter, is personal preference. I'd have written it differently, and luckily I have a very agile mind that's already in denial about the whole deal, so there's that ;)

Doesn't mean I don't still love The Following. I just won't be finishing the main quest a second time. I'll just stop right before it and pretend to be blissfully ignorant. 

Here's me with fingers crossed though that Techland will pull an ace from their sleeve. Preferably one with Mister Crane on it. 

Edited by tafferling

I totally agree with tafferling on this. I don't want to rant about the endings anymore since I already did in a previous post. But I basically wanna throw the game out the windows because that's what they essentially did with Mr Crane and the whole dying light series imo. Unless Techland can somehow magically restore what's been lost already. It's gonna be hard to get back into the story. 

The game play it'self is amazing, and they did an exceptional job on the atmosphere and environment aspect of the game. I just wish the rainstorms lasted longer too cause they bring such a fun feeling to the game. 

I would have been ok to see a half human/zombie hybrid. For example: Such as a human with volatile senses or something interesting. But those endings just killed it. 

I totally agree with tafferling on this. 

I would have been ok to see a half human/zombie hybrid. For example: Such as a human with volatile senses or something interesting. But those endings just killed it. 

Aww, shucks, thanks.  ^_^

Oh! Oh! I know! We could have a Dr Jekyll / Mr Hyde sort of gameplay starring Volakyle at day and night.   :wub: I'd play it. No. Really. I would. I doubt it'd happen, but one Taffer can hope.

Edited by tafferling

You know, the hallucinations that Kyle experiences, could mean that he is hallucinating the whole volatile transformation/getting out of Harran. He could have collapsed and went unconscience without knowing it. He does stumble and black out a couple of times.

You know, the hallucinations that Kyle experiences, could mean that he is hallucinating the whole volatile transformation/getting out of Harran. He could have collapsed and went unconscience without knowing it. He does stumble and black out a couple of times.

What hallucinations? Also, the vial he took from the Mother undeniably changed her as well as Kyle into a volatile. What would she gain from lying to Kyle? The game clearly indicates that Kyle is transforming when you start battling the Mother. The narrative supports it and there is no reason to believe it was a hallucination other than completely unfounded speculation.

Edited by Strat

The game clearly indicates that Kyle is transforming when you start battling the Mother. The narrative supports it and there is no reason to believe it was a hallucination other than completely unfounded speculation.

Can we just call him Volakyle? Make it a thing? Can we? No? 

Let me explain more in depth. Towards the end, Kyle experiences those images of zombie Rahim, Jade, and such forth. Remember, the mother DRANK as in consuming a lot of it. Kyle, spit most of it out at her face. Unless this is like alcohol and this substance is able to go straight into his bloodstream, he should be safe. Possible that the small amount could still change him? Sure! But, has no one thought of, half infected Kyle? As in, partly zombified. One zombie hand, one human hand. I know this sounds far fetched, but the mother consumed it, while Kyle spit most of it out of his mouth at her. So that is my thinking. Feel free to disagree, but provide evidence. Thank you for reading my idea.

Let me explain more in depth. Towards the end, Kyle experiences those images of zombie Rahim, Jade, and such forth. Remember, the mother DRANK as in consuming a lot of it. Kyle, spit most of it out at her face. Unless this is like alcohol and this substance is able to go straight into his bloodstream, he should be safe. Possible that the small amount could still change him? Sure! But, has no one thought of, half infected Kyle? As in, partly zombified. One zombie hand, one human hand. I know this sounds far fetched, but the mother consumed it, while Kyle spit most of it out of his mouth at her. So that is my thinking. Feel free to disagree, but provide evidence. Thank you for reading my idea.

Honestly I was thinking this cause how he came out into a different place and how he was acting.

I think a good way to save this is to make Kyle have the change but since he took so little have him have control at night and give him some superhuman powers since volatiles are crazy strong and fast. Honestly I will probably still play if we get another character since I do love the game and have since Dead Island BUT I will forever love and miss the original Dying Light cast.

What you wrote here pretty much contradicts what you said earlier about the entire transformation being a hallucination. Now he is only half-transformed? The Mother said you would transform anyway, just more slowly if you just breathed in the mist. Same thing with the vial. Even after spitting a bunch out the ending cut-scene shows his arms changed with a primal scream at the end, implying he has lost control and started attacking those people. Seems more like he transformed exactly the same as the Mother did.

Surprise plot twist; The Volakyle ending is canon, and the  Be The zombie mode is the continuation of Kyles story!

:o

*Ba dum pish*

*crickets chirping*

Ahem, any way, i agree with the threadstarter regarding the character Kyle. He was very likeable and it feels like a cheap shot to have him end up killed like that. Especially with the nuke ending, I believed to the very last second that Kyle would realize what he was doing and attack the mother, he had the drop on her and everything, but nope. It was so out of his character to just resign like that, especially after all hes been through. Maybe it was mental fatigue finally overcoming him, but still. When he was so close to a possible cure, it should have bolstered his spirits once more.

Edited by Kneecap

hello,

as many of you wrote it, i think we will have another DLC with a new perk tree / volatile control perks.

And maybe 1 or 2 new legendary perklines affecting volatile form / perfomances.

It could be very nice to have differents gameplays on night and day, but it will require a TON of work for Techland, sadly ;)

Can't wait to play the next DLC ... hurry up Techland!

please ? :D