Sign in to follow this  
perkele

Night Hunter Health

The more I play as the survivor (previously I played only the night hunter) I see how weak the nighthunter really is. One handed weapons and 3 hits to kill are completely fine in my opinion. Except no one uses those anymore, all I see as the Night Hunter is people using heavy weapons and now I understand why. One tackle is enough to force the hunter to heal... since tackle takes 30hp which leaves the hunter with 120= One hit kill with a heavy weapon. The risk is pretty high if you're going in for a pounce or tackle. One miss and you're dead since the heavy weapons seem to have a longer reach as well. Call me a crying Night Hunter or what ever else, but I think the 2 handed weapons or tackle needs a nerf. OR better yet, give the NH some hp for crying out loud!

I think the amount of health is fine right now.  Heavy weapons are a lot harder to hit with because they are slower.  and while the combo of a tackle and hit is extremely effective it's not particularly easy to land on a night hunter that's playing very smart and is keeping very mobile.  The NH is supposed to be a glass cannon after all.

Well, the NH is supposed to be feared.  I would think there should be a bit of the known when fighting a NH.  Right now, it doesn't matter what level of NH you're fighting, if you get only two swings with a regular melee weapon before he gets away, then simply switch to a rifle and start blasting away as one hit will bring him down.  (With no chance to summoning virals.)

Right now--or at least before patch--two swings from a regular melee weapon dealt 142 points of damage.  This meant that a NH had to be at full health to be in close or risk those two-hit deaths.  Mutating up should make a NH stronger as the extra spits aren't really worth it.  I rarely use toxic or suppressor spits.  Both have their place, but neither are really worth it as they are trivially countered.  Toxic spits are good for killing a KOed human and the suppressor is only good if you can get all of the humans and the area is tight quarters.  Otherwise, the standbys are the main weapons.

If the NH is going to be a glass cannon then it needs to be a glass canon: a powerful offense and weak defense.  The problem with the way the NH's glass canon approach is implemented, IMHO, is the powerful attacks put you in a defenseless position.  The only long range weapons of the NH are easily countered.  You have to be in close to effectively deploy them.

As you mutate up while the player behind the NH gets better, the character of the NH should also become more robust.  Additional resistance to attacks would be very welcome.

To make the game more interesting and prevent the formulaic game play if there were a NH version of the legends levels then a player could tailor his NH to his style of game play.  Given a set number of "points" one could put more points in either agility, power, speed, armor, stealth, etc.  Then a human player couldn't use the same attack on all NH's in a particular situation.  Some players may choose to move the spits to all UV blocks, some might move damage from tackles to swipes.  Maybe even forgo a GP skill to reduce the pounce reaction times.  Trade ground agility for tendril speed.  The combinations go on and on.  It could work like the skill tree, but you only get so many points to apply.  The game would be much more fluid and unpredictable. 

I think the amount of health is fine right now.  Heavy weapons are a lot harder to hit with because they are slower.  and while the combo of a tackle and hit is extremely effective it's not particularly easy to land on a night hunter that's playing very smart and is keeping very mobile.  The NH is supposed to be a glass cannon after all.

did they fix the heavy weapon repair glitch?  haven't tested it out since the following but if they haven't then that argument is null... just as fast as any 1 hander.

I need to test some of this out but recently I also leveled guns up in legendary and a golden double shotgun does 34k dmg atm.  How many shots do you think that is if they don't dumb down the damage a bit for the NH mode?

Well, the NH is supposed to be feared.  I would think there should be a bit of the known when fighting a NH.  Right now, it doesn't matter what level of NH you're fighting, if you get only two swings with a regular melee weapon before he gets away, then simply switch to a rifle and start blasting away as one hit will bring him down.  (With no chance to summoning virals.)

Right now--or at least before patch--two swings from a regular melee weapon dealt 142 points of damage.  This meant that a NH had to be at full health to be in close or risk those two-hit deaths.  Mutating up should make a NH stronger as the extra spits aren't really worth it.  I rarely use toxic or suppressor spits.  Both have their place, but neither are really worth it as they are trivially countered.  Toxic spits are good for killing a KOed human and the suppressor is only good if you can get all of the humans and the area is tight quarters.  Otherwise, the standbys are the main weapons.

If the NH is going to be a glass cannon then it needs to be a glass canon: a powerful offense and weak defense.  The problem with the way the NH's glass canon approach is implemented, IMHO, is the powerful attacks put you in a defenseless position.  The only long range weapons of the NH are easily countered.  You have to be in close to effectively deploy them.

As you mutate up while the player behind the NH gets better, the character of the NH should also become more robust.  Additional resistance to attacks would be very welcome.

To make the game more interesting and prevent the formulaic game play if there were a NH version of the legends levels then a player could tailor his NH to his style of game play.  Given a set number of "points" one could put more points in either agility, power, speed, armor, stealth, etc.  Then a human player couldn't use the same attack on all NH's in a particular situation.  Some players may choose to move the spits to all UV blocks, some might move damage from tackles to swipes.  Maybe even forgo a GP skill to reduce the pounce reaction times.  Trade ground agility for tendril speed.  The combinations go on and on.  It could work like the skill tree, but you only get so many points to apply.  The game would be much more fluid and unpredictable. 

The point system I'd have to agree with.  3-4 ability trees and you can choose your own path.  and just enough to truly build up 1 tree completely but the power to do whichever way you want.  I think you can focus one on speed, one on defense or toughness, and one on spits.  let them go where they want with it.

The problem with heavy weapons is that quite often people still register hits 1-3 seconds after I've jumped and have initiated tendril travel (happens with 1Hs too).  Once you understand how incredibly limited the Nighthunter is in terms of available moves (note this is not the same as actually viable combat moves) it seems silly when you compare the survivor to the Zombie. On top of this you have meta where 2 players will each swing once and kill you ( 1H+2H).

As it stands right now it's easier/faster to heal as the survivor;  this is in part why max level PVP is kind of stupid. As the nighthunter you die faster so you have to pound and then leave most of the time. This creates a window for survivors to heal after any minor engagement because even after landing a pound the zombie must land another pound or a tackle along with a swipe to kill a player.  Overall I'd much rather see "seeping wound" abilities from the Zombie along the lines of deals continuous damage for 10 seconds (/cough mutation 1 passive). This would take the heal all the time anytime mentality away from survivors. Alternatively we could just limit the amount of items used (or give items equal timer cooldowns to spits).

Let's pretend for a moment that survival sense was always on. The Zombie survivor sense skill is now changed to "roar to heal". Just like the player you can now heal in about one second whenever you want if you howl without being interrupted. That would be supremely OP. With that in mind I have to ask why do survivors have this ability? Medikits must be limited in some way so that you can't heal every time you get a scratch in order for the game to be fair when playing against the Zombie. Resource management needs to be a factor when playing as the survivor. Every time you mutate you go up against level 4-6 players who have absolutely no clue what to do in the pvp mode. Often they quit as soon as the game starts (because they forgot to turn the mode off) or they quit right after being pounced a few times before getting close to the nest. These low level players don't have many medits so they don't "waste" them on a pvp match. The game is too easy when the human uses zero items. On the complete other end of the spectrum the game is too hard for the Zombie when players can use an unlimited number of medkits, flares, grenades, etc. The most balanced PVP happens when you fight against mid level survivors who have enough items to throw a few flares when they really need them (and the same for medkits) but don't have enough so that they can use them continuously.

To anyone who says the game is fair and balanced I think you need to do the name that tune challenge with your invasions. Set a limit on how many items you can use (medkits/flares/moltovs/etc) and try playing the match with that limit. Anyone who needs to use 40+ items is a noob. People who are good at playing the survivor win with 20 items or less.

To anyone who says the game is fair and balanced I think you need to do the name that tune challenge with your invasions. Set a limit on how many items you can use (medkits/flares/moltovs/etc) and try playing the match with that limit. Anyone who needs to use 40+ items is a noob. People who are good at playing the survivor win with 20 items or less.

Or no items, which is possible ;)