Sign in to follow this  
Mothm6n66

(Don't Read This If You Haven't Beat The Following Yet) For Those Who Beat The Following...

What did you think of the end? Both..? I thought both kinda sucked... Like I wanna see the story keep going about how the Tower manages to get by and what happens to Kyle. I mean I guess if you do the fight at the end it could keep going if that stuff was a cure, like if Lena got the message and Crane got as close as he could to the secret entrance while he's trippin, thinking its the past, and they give him one of the vials and it works. Or maybe it took all 3 to save Crane and the search for the cure keeps going. But that ending really was terrible. And the plot was short for what it was too. I mean I still love this game, I'll obviously still play it, but the end really has me questioning like, did you guys not know how to end it or did you want it to be a choice of two bad outcomes that could be avoided? Like chupacabra Crane's niceness, take the damn vials and cure him and let the game actually continue... Its just dumb. But how does everyone else feel?

I prefer the ending where you try to save your friends (I have played both Endings), it gives hope for a sequel.

It is just sad that in either event you lose the Character you have spent hours getting to know...

*Major Spoilers Beyond this Point*

Ending 'A' (Nuclear Annihilation):

I felt that while this tied everything in a neat little bow, it was too abrupt... made you feel like everything was for nothing, and not in a good way.

The only time a Character Sacrificing their Lives ever works is if you can see the direct impact that his sacrifice made.

Using 'I am Legend' as an example, He sacrificed his life to not only Save a family, but in turn the rest of humanity with a Cure.

In my Opinion to have this ending as more satisfying they could of rolled a news clip of:

"An Unexplained Nuclear Explosion Wipes out Harran, Positive Reports that the Virus has been completely Annihilated... The Region can finally breath a Sigh of Relief." - They could of gone as far as showing the Family that Crane "Kills" in Ending 'B' being alive and happy (If that makes sense in terms of a Nuclear Blast, I don't know how far that was from the epicenter).

Ending 'B' (Crane 'Turns') - The Better One (IMO):

In my opinion this ending, in the way they constructed it, leaves a Hell of a lot more hope for Harran, and in turn, for a cure.

As we know 'Camden' had promising research that a cure for the Virus was possible.

We also know that while Crane would turn into a Blood Thirsty Creature of the Night, he would also regain his thought process and composure in the day.

If he could live with what he had done, he would be able to return to Camden with the vials he had collected as well as himself as a test subject.

Camden would likely find this extremely interesting and shocking, but he would be able to start work on a cure with this new information straight away.

Furthermore this leaves room for a possible DLC where you can 'Be The Zombie' in Single player Mode, whenever it becomes night time... a nice breakaway plot with promise of its own.

Finally, because Crane is now 'Patient 0' for a type of Sentient Volatile, there is hope for a Dying Light Sequel as more of the world is becoming infected.

*Side Note: I believe those Mutated Blue Volatiles are actually the effect of the Blue mist.

Hope you Enjoyed Reading My Opinion,

Squirrel.

I really liked more the ending where crane became volatile, more hope to get sequels becouse camden is my man! #camdenforpresident.

Nuclear one was lame but maybe he survived the "blast" and became new king you never know :D maybe it didint even detonate becouse game didint tell you if the bomb actually worked and maybe you could try to seek cure with mother? They could make babies together and rule the galaxy!

I didn't like either ending. Neither of them really suited the game at all. I mean, as soon as the mother took off her mask and turned out to be a telepathic viral or whatever, they kinda lost me. Up until that point, the plot of the game had been (As far as zombie games go) grounded in reality. The "magic cure" was some experimental gas, the zombies were the result of a viral infection and all that, but the "bad ending just came way too far out of left field. The nuclear bomb ending wasn't satisfying either, since you spent a good portion of the base game's campaign trying to *avoid* having a nuclear bomb dropped on the city. If you go with the nuclear bomb ending, it's basically paramount to what would happen if Crane never came to Harran in the first place, making you feel like everything you've done has been for nothing; especially since everyone you've ever helped or interacted with in Harran is now dead. That's my two cents on the matter, but I really hope Techland decides that this isn't cannon.

I nuked everyone. I thought the mother being a volatile was brilliant. I just wish they expanded on it a little more before making either choice. She could have had her own questline to teach you how to be more effective against them since they never seem to die no matter what you do to them. That is something they could dlc in later though if they liked the idea enough.

All in all though I wasn`t expecting it to turn out like it did and I thought it was pretty cool. Now I am restarting in nightmare and I came to chew bubblegum and kick chupacabra and I`m all out of bubblegum!

Sorry on the late reply guys, but yea it seems everyone is a little let down by the ending. It seems me and Avenged Sevenfold are at the same conclusion for the same reasons, the ending sucked and took away from the whole realism value, and also in my opinion, just kinda dropped off a cliff and ended. Everything about the endings were just not fitting. I feel like Techland either is throwing us a bone for some huge surprise to make everyone think it sucks until the next DLC comes out, or something seriously went wrong with what they had in mind... First off, the whole choice thing, was just a NO. There hasn't been choice making the whole game, why would you just throw that in there now? Especially just to choose or find out which ending sucks worse. 

Where's the hope?

Why does the last time you talk to Lena make it sound like The Tower is being overrun by zombies for no good reason? Where the hell is Brecken? I mean being short antizin, sure, but a whole building of people that are used to living among these zombies, I don't think people turning would be a problem for them. And how can they be out of antizin when Rais is dead anyways? Its almost scaring me thinking that these guys might just turn the train into a rocket and use it to try to blast thru a wall with them inside it lol. Of course I'm referencing the train to be the game, but the reference is from the game... nerd humor..

But seriously, the way the game ends, yea there's hope when you try to save your friends, and Rabid Squirrel I'll reply to you in just a second about that, but when you look at it for what it is, like if they just up and decided to abandon what is probably the best game on modern consoles, which hopefully Techland won't do that, the game just ends with everything bad and not what anyone wanted, all from some unrealistic acid trip of an ending. Everyone in the Tower is dying and Crane is a Volatile? ...or everyone dies by nuclear explosion. Which was what the whole first game was preventing..

Rabid Squirrel, here's where we have hope,

I really don't care if Crane dies or what. Maybe he's still good. Maybe he took the cure and it worked. I've made a whole huge post before the DLC came out with ideas that could still work, and also posted it in the Pinned Forum about future ideas for Dying Light. So this will technically be me doing a bit of the same thing now after playing the DLC.

What I think would be best plot wise, would be if when the next DLC comes out, it gets rid of the choice to use the Nuke, because that's literally just retarded, and you have to face the night mother. End of the Following, onto the what should happen for DLC... So you beat the night Mother and there was the whole thing with Crane walking into the city as a Volatile, thus making us think that Crane, the once savior, is now going to start plauging the rest of the world. (Absolutely stupid). So what it turns out, is that that last scene isn't what it seemed. Due to the fact Crane had the cure in his hands, he rushed out and as he started turning he started seeing things as well, and he's all confused about everything with the mother, and he was in the room with her of course, and he was all around the blue stuff. So long story short, someone saves Crane as he leaves where he was with the Mother, by giving him the cure he has while he's all tripped out because he's half zombie. Also, he never turned into a volatile or anything, as volatiles are stated to be mutations, thus meaning Crane was about to be a viral. Not that this matters because he was saved, but the end still frustrates me where they left it, so I had to say that. Then at some point later on, Crane finds out that The Mother wasn't real, which is why she was kept away in the sewers from everyone. I mean she might have actually been who she was in the game before, but to bring back the realism, the whole room was filled with the blue stuff to keep the Volatile from harming Crane at first, but being a Volatile, it of course is a little more tenacious about being around a human, so that explains why it seemed like she was talking to him thru his brain by getting up in his face. As it turns out, there was a whole huge set up to get everyone to believe in this "mother" that would save them because they had the ability to use the blue stuff to keep zombies from being vicious. So the "Mother's Chambers" was actually a big set up in case anything bad should  happen with the Volatile that used to be the girl that lost her husband and all, all set up by the guy that was supposed to give her the letter he was supposed to give her if he felt she should have it depending on her state of mind. If i'm correct that is the guy who killed himself with the Red Mask on. So the voices heard were by someone else, girl obviously, who was in on it with him to control the town with their fake religion thing. Crane never actually heard "The Mother's" voice in his head, it was just well done speakers throughout the building with the Mother in it. Just the wonders you can do with the right audio equipment, anyone can do it. If there was already speakers down there for workers, as long as the volume was kept low enough that it didnt sound like it was echoing thru the sewers, literally anyone couldve fooled Crane into thinking the Mother could actually talk to him thru his head. Including me. I usually get too into coming up with ideas for plot though, so for the sake of that being an option, first I take no credit nor do I want credit for that idea, I just want to see it happen so I can play it. Avenged Sevenfold and Rabid Squirrel, please read my Forum about what should happen after the Following, I like what you guys come up with for ideas and how you rate and review, and Avenged Sevenfold I see your name on these forums constantly, so it would be an honor for a review of my literally huge idea list of what should come next. 

Techland, please clean up your mess. The game would be so freaking awesome if you'd just clean up the chupacabra. And keep going forward of course.

Okay.. a few things guys. First, stop saying volatile! Kyle clearly turns into a NightHunter, just before the sun sets and the video cuts to credits, if you listen, you'll hear the infamous night hunter screech. Also If you've ever played "night hunter" mode?? you would have recognized his claws and the Orange glow!

Hes not tripping or in some type of trance, he's not hallucinating the past. He crawls out of a "sectret passage" basically the other end of the dam and emerges on the "other side". Sadly his first victoms will be a mother and her two kids but surely by the time the sun rises again, this'll be the least of Kyle kranes worries as he will lay waste to the untouched city.

Rabid squirrel..

I love your thoughts about the story continuing with Kyle being runner by day and hunter by night. Techland could easily play off this, seems like it's the true intention and direction they meant to go. I truly believe you nailed the "endgame storyline" perfectly and I'm dying for more content, I can't wait lol

I allways like happy endings, but either the nuclear explosion or the Kyle turning is the cannon ending. But mark my words the twin jerk brothers, (who I hate! I hate being talked to like that!),  survived the brake through and WILL be in Dying Light 2. I called it 2/18/16. They went through and the tunnel collapsed behind them.

I also played both endings and i was surprised by that one after boss fight when Kyle turn... not dissapointed just surprised.

Other one was like: ok, I am gonna die, evryone is gonna die but virus too.... Hmmm, hmmm - ok... planet is saved... It was nothing special but it's an ending...

In second ending i was realy surprised that kyle made it out of quarantine zone as a night hunter or whatever, and i think it supouse mean that if you chose not to sacryfice yourself and evryone in the quarantine, you will infect the rest of the world and it will be true zombie apocalipse. I kinda like it :)

That may be start for another DLC or Sequel for another character...

I must say that i didn't feel like evrything that I was doing was useless and for nothing, I realy enjoyed entire game and the ending was unexpected which i can't say about main story and that is big plus for me, no matter that it was bad or good ending.

I LIKED IT!!! Good job Techland, keep going :)

Edit: I didn't like how they change the faces (voices probably too) of twin brothers... they looks stupid in DLC :(

In main game they were kinda funny, and in DLC they are just lame :(

Edited by Jedster

I thought they were both awful.

I'm miserable, so let's nuke everything so I don't have to be miserable. Could just let me kill you, it would save a lot of lives.

Also the other ending makes even less sense. If the mother is capable of rational thought, and can communicate telepathically (as long as she is in the light... never mind every volatile is supposed incapable of dealing with light for a second), shouldn't Crane be too? So when he gets out of the sewer, he goes from talking and rational to presumably killing while in light because... ???

Worse ending than Dead Island, Techland really dropped the ball with the expansions mechanics/ending imo.

I allways like happy endings, but either the nuclear explosion or the Kyle turning is the cannon ending. But mark my words the twin jerk brothers, (who I hate! I hate being talked to like that!),  survived the brake through and WILL be in Dying Light 2. I called it 2/18/16. They went through and the tunnel collapsed behind them.

When you are exploring the Countryside after finishing the game the Twin Brothers contact you telling you that they made it to the other side of the Tunnel. They then start talking about finding a massive Stadium (A nod to the Bozak Horde I assume).

After a few failed tries at the ending I peeked at the spoilers for the endings.  I then had forethought going in speaking with Mother.  I choose to fight her.

However, I'm confused.  The military was supposed to have both quarantined the city and created the virus?  The blue mist is the virus and depending on how concentrated it is depends on how much you turn?  Normal zombies, biters, are only those that have been bitten?  Volatiles are those that, what, grown or drink the blue liquid?  Where was the GRE and their pursuit of the secrets of the outbreak during the following.  They were willing to sacrifice nearly anything to get the secret files yet here was the source.  But we heard not a peep from the GRE.

I didn't nuke the city--for the storyline--as it would have proven all the effort to this point, all the lives sacrificed and saved, was for nothing.  Ab. So. Lutely. Nothing.  In fact, I'm kind of thinking this is the wrong avenue simply because so many in the real world struggle with thoughts of suicide and because Kyle Crane, the super hero of this story, chose to end it all, maybe they're feeling better about doing the same.  Not cool.

I chose to fight.  But what is the ending?  Is it a dream or did Crane find a way out of the quarantined zone to spread the virus to the rest of the world?  It appeared he was becoming like The Mother.  Having his wits during the day, but still grotesque.  And even though he didn't have the hands of a NH, he certainly screamed like one.  ...if that was him screaming as it faded to black.

All in all, while it was a much better boss fight at the end--thank you for that--I was disappointed with the ending.  I liked that there was a choice, but neither choice was a good one.  Even going along with the basic story line, Kyle could have left a vial hidden near the northeastern tunnel and sent a message to Lena to have it retrieved as a last ditch fail safe.  Or even sent them with someone like the theatrical release ending of "I Am Legend."  Remember, he had those three vials.  He could have ran with those to get them to Camden.  Probably would have been the prudent thing to do.

So,now I'm simply going around exploring and gathering things.  Anyone using "The Button" to get themselves out of harrowing situations?  I'm now calling it "My Bailout Button!"  Like set the charges in the central hive and bailout!

Volatile:

It's still unclear where the virus came from, or even whether it's natural or artificial.  All we know is that the military was experimenting with it, attempting to weaponize it, and they created the blue gas.  We don't know what the blue gas does to uninfected people - both Mother and Crane were infected before they drank the stuff and transformed.  The blue gas probably prevents zombification in the short term, and may prevent zombies from attacking, but large doses cause volatile transformation (and Mother implies that even a low dose will cause this transformation eventually).  We also know that normal volatiles are not created by the blue gas, because normal volatiles don't retain their minds while exposed to light, as Crane and Mother did.

So, long story short, the virus is one thing, and the blue gas is a treatment that comes at a high price.

I agree with the comments about the ending.  While I loved Dying Light and The Following, I feel like both endings just make the entire story of Dying Light futile.  I don't need my games to be all sunshine and roses, but I feel like there are too many downer endings in real life as it is.  Honestly, I'd have been satisfied by an ending where Crane died but saved the survivors of Harran in the process.

I'm glad Techland is going to continue to support this game.  I honestly love Dying Light.  I just hope that this "support" includes another ending - either a third option at the end of The Following, or another expansion that ends on a positive note for Harran (maybe even for Crane).

ive only finished one side haven't tried the other option, I played on nightmare and I turned into a biter,  and found the end fight really challenging, but the story could have gone into more depth

one problem is  I can only find 1 person when searching for online games tho sometimes none

Just made a post about it before finding this one.

I loved the ending. Was playing with a friend and we decided to each take one of the endings, so we kind of took both endings at the same time. And it was very cool to see both options.

I'll tell you my opinion why the nuke ending sucked. Frankly it contradicts the story. 

First off, lets just say it's totally out of character for Kyle to do such a thing. Actually it doesn't even make sense. After all this time helping the survivors, building friendships, knowing a possible cure in being worked on. A 30 second conversation changes his mind and feelings for everything. He decides to just... end it all kill everyone? Really? Did we not just climbed to the top of a radio tower to stop an Air Strike on the survivors? Did we not just rush to save everyone from certain death? Yet, he suddenly has a change of heart and decides to take everyone's life into his own hands. That's a rash and out of character decision. That's where the nuke ending fails. It doesn't make sense. It doesn't align with the story or anything we've done in the game.

I can't believe the devs would even consider an ending like that. I think they took the easy way out. I was very disappointed.

I won't get into the other option. I didn't like it.

I haven't turned the game back on since I got to the end. Not sure if I want to. It just feels wrecked and unsatisfying. 

Edited by Fishoid

I kinda hoped they lived, they're pretty funny. Got a little annoying in the main game but they were awesome in the following.

I thought they were both awful.

I'm miserable, so let's nuke everything so I don't have to be miserable. Could just let me kill you, it would save a lot of lives.

Also the other ending makes even less sense. If the mother is capable of rational thought, and can communicate telepathically (as long as she is in the light... never mind every volatile is supposed incapable of dealing with light for a second), shouldn't Crane be too? So when he gets out of the sewer, he goes from talking and rational to presumably killing while in light because... ???

Worse ending than Dead Island, Techland really dropped the ball with the expansions mechanics/ending imo.

Well actually i don't think she can communicate regularly when you actually talk with her her mouth is moving and making sounds but it's just groaning she is talking telepathically, or something else.

Well actually i don't think she can communicate regularly when you actually talk with her her mouth is moving and making sounds but it's just groaning she is talking telepathically, or something else.

Yea. It is kind of interesting that you couldn't just kill her though!

I rather enjoyed both endings. I actually enjoyed them both a lot more than Dying Light's campaign ending. They got to me, I won't put it lightly. Games with boring endings don't leave me with afterthought.

But I don't feel like the endings, particularly the military 'Hammerdown' protocol - fit very well into the narrative that has been set up by the game previously. The protagonist would come all this way, just to press a few buttons, flip a switch and let the GRE win? It contradicts the protagonist's philosophy no matter how small the sacrifice was. I was not expecting a choice here.

While I think both endings were very good, and shows off the talent of Techland's writing, I felt that the endings were inconclusive. The 'Volatile' ending seems fine, and in my opinion "canon" given no other alternative, (which I wish there was, perhaps to reason with the Mother) but I can't help but feel like there needed to be more insight into what happens to Crane. What of Camden? What of the research? Will Crane make it back to the Tower hoping his friends will reason with a volatile?

You're left with two choices: Enjoy a bittersweet ending and let the GRE and the Ministry win and hope they won't continue to experiment with biological weaponry, or enjoy an ending that hints at the possibility of dooming humanity. Either way, it seems like the player was set up for a fall.

Edited by Wolfman

Not sure if there's some policy here that prevents me from repeating myself, but since I don't just want to drop a link to my opinion, I'll drag it into this thread too...

I rather enjoyed both endings. I actually enjoyed them both a lot more than Dying Light's campaign ending. They got to me, I won't put it lightly. Games with boring endings don't leave me with afterthought.

The only reason I do not like how the Following played out is the complete futility of everything Kyle did before. He sacrificed his own life already by staying in Harran, rather than carrying out the GRE's orders and being able to return home (and maybe even receiving a cure, since the GRE did have to save face for their intentions leaking).

Instead of deciding to give his old life another shot, he brought a small measure of hope to the people in the Tower (and Harran). They even ended the main Campaign with a silver lining. Then, for the DLC, that hope was dashed. Worse, once the DLC is finished all the hard work he put into it (and the player did as well) is lost. Whether you pick the nuke ending or the actual conclusion that results in a Volakyle, at the end of the day everything he's done is nullified.

To me, these endings smell a bit like they wanted to draw a clean line with Kyle's story and level the slate for something new.

And since I get very attached to the characters I spend a lot of time with, it was disappointing that they'd chose a futile ending, rather than something that brings closure on a positive note. In particular the nuke one made no sense whatsoever. You tried so very hard NOT to get the city blown up. Now you decide that "Eh, whatever.Let's fry the place."?

Now I know these days people seem to dig bad endings and hopelessness, etc.. and throw the whole "In the Apocalypse there aren't good endings." argument around, but eeey--- Kyle Crane  :( Whaaaaaaaiiii *throws fangirl fit*  Though I digress here. With flailing arms. And kicking feet. Let's refocus. 

The Nuke ending, some may call it bittersweet, doesn't appear to align with Kyle's motivations from where I am standing. He took to the poor sods in the tower, putting them before the needs of the world. If he'd wanted to save the world, all he'd have had to do was accept the GRE's final offer. Or contact them later on, when he realized his people were dying.

All of his efforts were for those he cared for, rather than what would have been better for the world in general. To have him have such a drastic change of heart is, well... it bothered me a little. Much like the overall story arch of the Following did, in particular how it came to be. If we consider the reason why Kyle leaves Harran to chase down a cure, then we have to assume that the global community has turned its back on the city state/city. But rather than nuking it, they decide to stop dropping Antizin? This sounds like political suicide to me, and again brings me to the conclusion that, while amazing, The Following is here to pave the way for new things.

'sides, it's a video game, and not a narrative driven one, by heart. It's meant to be a blast, and the audience it caters to are likely to dig those endings. And there's nothing really wrong with it, or any of its endings. That I'd have preferred to have seen Kyle get some sweet closure, omitting the bitter, is personal preference. I'd have written it differently, and luckily I have a very agile mind that's already in denial about the whole deal, so there's that  ;)

Doesn't mean I don't still love The Following. I just won't be finishing the main quest a second time. I'll just stop right before it and pretend to be blissfully ignorant. 

Here's me with fingers crossed though that Techland will pull an ace from their sleeve. Preferably one with Mister Crane on it.