jonnyallen3

Handicapping The Losing Side Isn't The Right Way To Balance

So I notice you guys decided to use the method of buffing one side if they're losing. This is an extremely lazy and unintuitive way to balance the game.

Firstly it makes games drag on way longer than it should. Say I'm the human and the Hunter is losing, he comes in constantly spamming spits at me, which makes it really not fun anymore.

How do you expect players to get better if you just hand out handicaps to them? If you just buff players when they're losing, they aren't going to get better. I got so good at being the Night Hunter because I practiced through trial and error, losing and getting better.

Handicaps are very counterintuitive in any game. The game is very balanced now if you remove all exploits and continue monitoring.

Exactly. I can't even blow people out as bad as I use to especially in a 4v1. I'm recking a group of 4 first nest there down to 5 lives all if a sudden my spits take 2minutes as if it's a 1v1 and my energy drains as fast as a 1v1.

This is were techland f'd up. Everything was good until I started to notice how unfair this is.

I agree to a 100%. This is not a good system at all. A system that "balances" the game by buffing the losing side to artificially induce a close game will never let that "losing side" to get better at it said game.

The buffs from the NH side is faster spawns and faster spit regeneration.  I'm not good enough to see the nerfs.

If a NH is getting buffed, then I'm not seeing the corresponding nerf on the part of the human.  I'm still getting insta-two shotted while in missed pounce animation. 

The buffs from the NH side is faster spawns and faster spit regeneration.  I'm not good enough to see the nerfs.

If a NH is getting buffed, then I'm not seeing the corresponding nerf on the part of the human.  I'm still getting insta-two shotted while in missed pounce animation. 

When winning, the hunter gets slower spit/UV block regeneration and nests are easier. When losing, it gets faster spit/UV block regeneration and nests are thougher, for example, if a lone survivor is beating you badly, the next nest he has to destroy could have 3 spawns and goons (A nest originally meant for two people).

Edited by Drastamad

I'd have to say it helped me win a match I was well not prepared for but at the same time, I knew I had been beaten but gave it my all and came out on top by barely getting a pounce in as they were probably swinging their last hit on the nest.  Come to find out, spits were insanely buffed in reload, there was a clear difference on accuracy from survivors i.e. gunshots wildly firing, DFA's not connecting, and dropkicks left me laughing.  As much as I would say it had skill to do with it, I was dodging them before but this was definitely something I could stand straight in front of them and hit the stick for them to miss... 

I've had it go both ways though, and I think this might be the reason you'll see the OHK's when the game is favored.  However, in defense of both parties, handicapping just doesn't seem fair.  I'm not sure where the thought came from but honestly guys, when did pvp become casual because this just made it happen.  If that was the intention I guess we'll roll with the punches and hate the nerf on survivor levels for weapons as well because when the game gets this even, the levels get to be a hassle and whats the fun if you don't get anything in the end?

DFAs, dropkicks, gun accuracy etc. are not affected at all.  The things that are affected are respawn times,  spit regen, and uv light damage amount.  These all scale to deault values as you pull even in the match so there is absolutely nothing gained by falling behind to receive buffs that go away when the match gets close.  We are going to be adjusting he amounts and how they scale though.  It can be too aggressive in certain situations right now.

DFAs, dropkicks, gun accuracy etc. are not affected at all.  The things that are affected are respawn times,  spit regen, and uv light damage amount.  These all scale to deault values as you pull even in the match so there is absolutely nothing gained by falling behind to receive buffs that go away when the match gets close.  We are going to be adjusting he amounts and how they scale though.  It can be too aggressive in certain situations right now.

I realize this post is a few days old.  But in my testing when the hunter recieves debuffs for stomping the survivors too hard the debuffs stick for the whole match.  I let my friend kill all of my nests save one and kill me 10 times in a row and my spawn time was still 20 seconds instead of 10 and my spits were coming back in at 1 minute and 30 seconds rather then the default 1 minute.  Also you forgot to include nests in the things that get buffed.  If the hunter is getting stomped pretty hard an extra volatile has to be killed in the next nest.  Not to mention the big guy with a rebar club will be at each nest.  Also the amount of special zombies that are normally on the map get doubled during the buff.  I noticed this when testing on the slums on a section of one of the highway bridge things.  2 rebar guys and spit guys instead of just one.

It's nice to hear these values are going to get re adjusted though.

I dont know how raising balancing issues has created this duality between people who are "pro-survivors" and "pro-hunters". The simple answer would be Techland maintaining Dying Light: NH shouldnt be pouncing survivors through walls... but survivors shouldnt be allowed to indefinitely stage camp.

Balancing: BtZ is a mode in which there can be multiple survivors versus one hunter, the hunter must be able to compete against multiple survivors who may have dupped inventories, each survivor with even more lethal inventories, and now a shielding buggy... yet the NH has no new abilities. You'd think that the Devs would bring new abilities for NH unless Techland worked on a strange presumption that the NH had it to easy to begin with, but many players on this forum have been persistently and convincingly arguing that the alternative is true. A skilled NH is grossly overpowered when the number of skilled survivors increases; TL has made survivors even more powerful... now the hunter must rely on glitches to win (pouncing through wall, clawing survivors who are considerable distance away, etc)

Techland has to routinely patch obvious bugs followed by making an affirmative decision regarding issues of balancing. I've challenged the Devs to upload a video of them playing against themselves in a practical scenario (4 skilled survivors with lethal and maxed inventories versus a NH)... This game has been out for over a year now and nothing yet

BtZ seems to be a marketing ploy to show that theyve published (but poorly maintained) new content. For awhile I thought it would be better if TL focused more on the base game of Dying Light and let BtZ die since TL doesnt routinely patch bugs and address balancing issues anyways. As I read the growing list of new complaints with the Following, I stand corrected. As long as Kotaku, IGN, Gamespot etc keeps raining in accolades then TL has no reason to listen to us or to make us listen to them.

Edited by NullExoZombies

Balancing: BtZ is a mode in which there can be multiple survivors versus one hunter, the hunter must be able to compete against multiple survivors who may have dupped inventories, each survivor with even more lethal inventories, and now a shielding buggy... yet the NH has no new abilities. You'd think that the Devs would bring new abilities for NH unless Techland worked on a strange presumption that the NH had it to easy to begin with, but many players on this forum have been persistently and convincingly arguing that the alternative is true. A skilled NH is grossly overpowered when the number of skilled survivors increases; TL has made survivors even more powerful... now the hunter must rely on glitches to win (pouncing through wall, clawing survivors who are considerable distance away, etc)

You have to remember they're balancing the mode for all three maps. Giving the night hunter buffs or new abilities specifically for the following map wouldn't translate well to the other maps where buggies aren't allowed. I think they did a decent job with with adding counters to the buggy as all the night hunters current abilities work against it. 

I haven't seen anyone complain about anything new besides the buggy so I take it that's the only thing that people are having an issue with (that isn't a glitch or exploit).