zer0das

The Following: Virals And Volatiles

The Following has wide open areas, but the balance around this is a bit lacking. The spawn rate of volatiles is comparable to inside Harran, but line of sights are much larger in The Following due to a lack of buildings to obscure vision. Additionally, safe zones are extremely far apart. There's nothing inherently wrong with either of these things, but both volatiles and virals have been lifting weights and are even more dangerous than they used to be. Chiefly:

1. They both can keep up with the buggy without nitro (and even with nitro, at least for the first few levels).

2. Volatiles can spit on you from extremely far distances. It also seems like they do not miss unless there is something blocking their line of sight.

3. It is almost impossible to deagro volatiles once you are detected by them, short of reaching a safe zone. There's simply not enough buildings to juke them unless you happen to be near a more urban area.

4. The slightest bit of noise seems to trigger virals from impossibly long distances. It takes far more noise to kill them, which in turn tends to attract even more virals.

Things are much more spread out in the countryside, so it makes sense the agro range for virals is much larger. However, if you do almost anything, a swarm of 5 virals will attack. And then many more, when you make even more noise dealing with the mess. For example, I was killing a single lone zombie near a police van. I did so fairly quietly (a few melee hits), and then I start picking a lock. There are no zombies within 100 meters of me. Next thing I know, 5 virals are attacking me, seemingly from the noise generated from the lock picking. And they inevitably drag more zombies to them.

While on foot, I was evading volatiles at night (can't really do that with the buggy). I was doing so fairly successfully, but somehow one of them went off. No matter, I'll just use the hills and ridge to lose them. I clear a ridge and have a decent amount of distance between me and the volatiles (50 meters, at least). And then they both spit on me and I die anyways. Never mind the fact I'm moving on foot and very quickly, then both hit me with laser accuracy. This is probably the best case escape scenario you can get in the countryside on foot, and it is essentially rigged in favor of the volatiles.

So to sum things up: Techland way overbuffed volatiles, and to a lesser degree the virals. There's almost no incentive to be outside at night on legendary, where even if you do manage to outrun them, you're probably going to die anyways because the odds are stacked so far in their favor. I typically die in less than a minute if I get spotted in the countryside, and the nearest safe zone is usually at least 10 minutes on foot and 2-3 minutes with driving. And safe zones are effectively the only reliable way to get away from volatiles since there are not enough ways to escape volatiles with parkour.

I have to agree that there are way too many Volatiles in the country. You can't hide. You can't run. You can't even find a defensive corner to shoot at them from. It makes going out at night at all a complete and total waste of time because you will lose more Legend XP than you gain. Their spawn rate should be halved to compensate for their greater relative power.

It might help if there were Noisemaker arrows you could use to distract them at longer range than hand-thrown firecrackers.

EDIT: Virals alone aren't much of a problem for me (Hard difficulty), even if I aggro a pack while driving, I can bail out and gun them down fast enough that the gunshots don't draw in any more.

Edited by Stabbey

There is an extreme amount of both virals and volatiles but techland just released the DLC so now comes their part of balancing these issues so my guess expect a patch fixing these issues by this month.

EDIT: Virals alone aren't much of a problem for me (Hard difficulty), even if I aggro a pack while driving, I can bail out and gun them down fast enough that the gunshots don't draw in any more.

I agree that virals aren't much of a problem by themselves, the problem is they agro so easily and from such long distances. Doing even the most basic task tends to draw them, even if you're quiet. It is most problematic at night, since virals will almost inevitably start triggering volatiles from the noise you make dealing with them.

Yeah I'm having a lot of trouble there, too. The amount of bombers is staggering, and their respawn rate is ridiculous. Without fail I will encounter at least 2 - 5 bombers on any given stretch of road. If I turn around and come back, they will be there again, drawing more virals. I'm not even sure what keeps getting so many virals to come after me. I got out of my buggy at one point, looted a car, and suddenly I heard screams of virals. Regular infected seem to spawn too, as a previously clear area was filled with 20 - 30 infected + virals out of the blue. I've definitely ALT-F4'd out of frustration multiple times because getting to the next part of a quest became too difficult to bother with.

Wow the countryside is even harder than i thought, especially at night! I was thinking of playing the nightmare mode but after reading this topic i would go for the easy one! Wait they don't have super easy right? cause i surely will play only that mode..

Seriously Techland, what have u done? Survivors want to be able to roam freely, without fear and hesitation when the night comes! You are not thinking of torturing us don't you? we want to enjoy the game. I hope u can include a new mode where we can completely remove all volatiles and virals in the game!

smh..

I agree that at night is there too many volatiles but i kinda like it... its more challenging and more fun for me. You should be afraid of night in game like this...

I think that is why there are hives to clear out, as i understand, more hives you clear, less volatiles at night... and i like this concept...

During day it would be too easy without boomers and virals, just drive around and smash everithing in your way...

I like it how it is.

I get that they tried to make night time much more scarier by buffing the volatiles etc. But from the sound of things they overdid it. Hopefully they realize their mistakes and will nerf the spit accuracy and certain spawn rates. I for one hope they make viral spawning much more predictable, less random and less regular zombie spawning near the player in general. I can be inside safe zones standing completely still and hear the viral spawning sound. So annoying to do things by the book, beign stealthy, only to have the game cheat spawn zombies behind you like some B movie horror jump-scare.

Wow the countryside is even harder than i thought, especially at night! I was thinking of playing the nightmare mode but after reading this topic i would go for the easy one! Wait they don't have super easy right? cause i surely will play only that mode..

Seriously Techland, what have u done? Survivors want to be able to roam freely, without fear and hesitation when the night comes! You are not thinking of torturing us don't you? we want to enjoy the game. I hope u can include a new mode where we can completely remove all volatiles and virals in the game!

smh..

Ahh i almost forgot! the new 'super easy' mode or option should also allow us to remove not just the volatiles and virals, but also the other zombies too! you heard me right! i want to be able to only see the beautiful countryside without any ugly creatures in it!

heck remove the scarecrows too cause they are freaking ugly and scares the sh*t out of me! 

Ahh i almost forgot! the new 'super easy' mode or option should also allow us to remove not just the volatiles and virals, but also the other zombies too! you heard me right! i want to be able to only see the beautiful countryside without any ugly creatures in it!

heck remove the scarecrows too cause they are freaking ugly and scares the sh*t out of me! 

You are aware you quoted yourself right? And that you are basically trolling yourself? Just saying...

smh..

The complaints aren't because everyone wants easy mode. The complaints are the somewhat unrealistic respawns. Case in point: I picked up Tolga and Fatin's quest to find Dal. A bomber exploded as soon as I left the safe house and I leapt into my car to drive away. Bomber exploded just outside the car, and another at the intersection. There were at least 2 or 3 more bombers on my way to the next part of the quest, including one when I got out of the car, all of whom drew virals. Killing those virals (at the second half) drew more virals, which meant I had to kill those - drawing more infected with pus bags, which exploded, which drew more virals, so I had to kill those, which meant more infected. Finally, I just ALT-F4'd because there was no point to continuing.

On a reload a little while later, the same sequence of events didn't occur. I was respawned near the quest point (but my vehicle was a ridiculous 1km away) without any virals. It wasn't that I couldn't kill the virals, it was that it became a ridiculous grind of murdering them as fast as they would spawn because more infected would show up that would have to be killed or distracted which would just draw more infected and virals. I have no problem with a fun chase, even at night, in my buggy. I have a problem when even the smallest task, even the easiest quest becomes a ridiculous slog through unending loops of virals.

The night is supposed be scary and youre not supposed to go out during the night. Before it was a joke cause you can you camouflage and just dance around killing everything with no problem. The main thing they stressed was night was only for the bravest people and its brutal. Now they make it the way it should be and you're complaining? I dont agree, if you are careful and take out the nests which lower the volities numbers youll be fine. And also the new volilatiles can see you in camouflage so just avoid them and youll be fine. This is whats wrong with games these days developers make them hard and everyone crys and then all the games are to easy.

@rush86 Quote

That's fine if you like your game harder, completely fine, I may like it that way in X more hours of gameplay me too.

That doesn't mean we don't have the right to play the VANILLA DIFFICULTY because I loved the game before.

All we need is a choice, simple, it could be a new mode (i.e easy) that reflect Vanilla experience. That doesn't mean I can't play harder (new patch) later on when I feel to do so. Right now we have no choice!

Edited by maxthehax

For every Volatile Hive you clear the Volatile presence decreases in the countryside.

I'm working on leveling my legendary rank, so I can clear them with ease.

Edit:

More specifically my gun rank in an attempt to run through them with my shotgun, and SMG.

Edited by Mr. Q

You are aware you quoted yourself right? And that you are basically trolling yourself? Just saying...

Lol seriously? i'm trolling myself? I think the guy that posted after you can see that i am being sarcastic about this topic the whole time (yep the guy below).

The complaints aren't because everyone wants easy mode. The complaints are the somewhat unrealistic respawns. Case in point: I picked up Tolga and Fatin's quest to find Dal. A bomber exploded as soon as I left the safe house and I leapt into my car to drive away. Bomber exploded just outside the car, and another at the intersection. There were at least 2 or 3 more bombers on my way to the next part of the quest, including one when I got out of the car, all of whom drew virals. Killing those virals (at the second half) drew more virals, which meant I had to kill those - drawing more infected with pus bags, which exploded, which drew more virals, so I had to kill those, which meant more infected. Finally, I just ALT-F4'd because there was no point to continuing.

On a reload a little while later, the same sequence of events didn't occur. I was respawned near the quest point (but my vehicle was a ridiculous 1km away) without any virals. It wasn't that I couldn't kill the virals, it was that it became a ridiculous grind of murdering them as fast as they would spawn because more infected would show up that would have to be killed or distracted which would just draw more infected and virals. I have no problem with a fun chase, even at night, in my buggy. I have a problem when even the smallest task, even the easiest quest becomes a ridiculous slog through unending loops of virals.

Right and we have normal mode for this 'realistic' feeling you are talking about. Wait,u are not playing on normal setting right? if u do, maybe techland really need to consider an easy mode for this game. But seriously, the virals are so annoying that i wish i could grab one and make it wish it never turned into one lol.

I agree with the next post. U still can challenge yourself if u want to but generally, this is what it should feels like:

The night is supposed be scary and youre not supposed to go out during the night. Before it was a joke cause you can you camouflage and just dance around killing everything with no problem. The main thing they stressed was night was only for the bravest people and its brutal. Now they make it the way it should be and you're complaining? I dont agree, if you are careful and take out the nests which lower the volities numbers youll be fine. And also the new volilatiles can see you in camouflage so just avoid them and youll be fine. This is whats wrong with games these days developers make them hard and everyone crys and then all the games are to easy.

NORMAL game difficulty also suffer from INCREASED virals spawning and all that comes with it.

I repeat myself, its not bad to increase game difficulty, but give us the choice to do so. Since the game vanilla game is out we were used that difficulty, and now they buff the diff without a choice...

Its cool to play harder sometimes, but some days I just want to loot and play with not too much stress that's it.

Edited by maxthehax

Lol seriously? i'm trolling myself? I think the guy that posted after you can see that i am being sarcastic about this topic the whole time (yep the guy below).

Right and we have normal mode for this 'realistic' feeling you are talking about. Wait,u are not playing on normal setting right? if u do, maybe techland really need to consider an easy mode for this game. But seriously, the virals are so annoying that i wish i could grab one and make it wish it never turned into one lol.

I agree with the next post. U still can challenge yourself if u want to but generally, this is what it should feels like:

It's surprising how hostile you are.

My specific post was referring to daytime, by the way, and didn't speak at all about it being difficult. It's not. I was talking about just how annoying it can be that sometimes super small things become big circles of viral pack after pack that never seems to stop. Sometimes they overspawn and everything just falls like a domino.

I understand night is supposed to be difficult, but there's a difference between fair difficulty and artificial difficulty, and in my opinion they crossed that line. Having volatiles with pinpoint accuracy on spit from extreme distances on moving targets makes no sense. They already had their speed mega-buffed, along with their health. Then you take away safehouses being nearby, and also make decrease parkour's usefulness in getting away... so volatiles had 3 major buffs while survivors lost 2 major advantages. Even just buffing their speed probably would have been enough to keep them a real threat given how open the country side is. Legendary levels offset the loss of human advantages eventually, but until you get them you have close to no incentive to be outside at night. The only reason for that is for invasions, but those are separate from the single player experience.

Edited by zer0das

Yeah those screaming fuckers have been a pain since before the following came out. A pin could drop and 20 of them come running. I`m playing on hard mode and I don`t even bother going out at night, those super zombies just don`t die. I have 10k damage shotgun and emptied it into one and it still killed me. chupacabra those things! I sleep the night away, but then I always did even before I got the legendary skills because they would hardly die then too.

I've just started playing today.... I was gonna moan that your car takes no damage at night.... Which I want to break down, or run out of gas at night... It's more tense..

I'm playing nightmare mode.. But I haven't experience night yet....

But maybe it is too tough??

If your complaining that it's hard, which it's not, here's how you fix your problem: http://www.nexusmods.com/dyinglight/?tb=mod&pUp=1

Gee Golly, Thanks a Lot, Mister!

Except that I don't know what the ***l is going on with mods these days what with lots of people getting VAC-Banned, so I'm not going to try any. And also this is something that some people wanted to bring to the developers attention.

I don't want easy mode, I just want the spawn rate of volatiles lowered to compensate for them being much more difficult to hide from and evade from. They spawn at what seems to be the same rate as they spawn in the city, the city where you can hide better and parkour or run away when caught. Volatiles would still be just as dangerous as they are now, but it would lower the consequences of "certain death" to "very likely death".

The use of mods won`t get you banned if you play in single player OR with other people using the same files with having vac turned off. As long as vac is turned off, you can do whatever you want. Having it on is asking them to police your gametime and they can go chupacabra themselves!

Gee Golly, Thanks a Lot, Mister!

Except that I don't know what the ***l is going on with mods these days what with lots of people getting VAC-Banned, so I'm not going to try any. And also this is something that some people wanted to bring to the developers attention.

I don't want easy mode, I just want the spawn rate of volatiles lowered to compensate for them being much more difficult to hide from and evade from. They spawn at what seems to be the same rate as they spawn in the city, the city where you can hide better and parkour or run away when caught. Volatiles would still be just as dangerous as they are now, but it would lower the consequences of "certain death" to "very likely death".

You won't get banned on single player and all the other stuff that the guy below your OP posted about disabling VAC. If you're worried about getting banned, just install tunngle and play the game on LAN. The spawns are perfectly fine. The super zombies are perfectly fine. Everything is fine, you just need to grow a sack.

Virals seem to spawn randomly after you have interacted with the environment (opening a vehicle) or interacting with any zombie (like killing one.)  But not all the time on either.  which leads me to believe there might be some kind of cooldown associated with it. The cool down being overridden if you make a lot of noise (guns, explosions etc.)

As for volatiles I actually don't have very many.  Then again I did go through and kill all the hives.  If you are struggling with volitales then go kill some hives. You are over stating how difficult it is to escape them.  I can drive around at night in my buggy with my alarm blaring not even using nitro and get away.  It is completely possible to get away from them you just need to learn how to drive better.

I was playing on hard too where they practically instant spot you when driving.  And personally the incentive for going out at night is the same in the following as is it was in the base game.  Driving around at night at top speed/ smashing zombies gives you mountains of EXP for your driving tree.  I've played less then a day and i'm already 15 for my driving rank.