benny_santiago

Dying Light: The Following - The Most Disappointing Game Continuation Ever(((

Hello.

And goodbye, because I feel like someone just spat at my face with this DLC titled 'Dying Light: The Following'. I loved this game, dаmmit! I loved it with all my heart, it felt so good and I was so excited about DLC... And you failed, devs. How did you managed that??

But before I go away from this game completely and finally, I'd like to explain why it makes me feel this way, why I'm greatly, terribly dissapointed with the outcome of the story of Kyle Crane.

First of all, let's remember that the game of Dying Light was blamed for being a zombie games/movies cliche galore. I wasn't completely agree with such a point of view, but for some unthinkable reason the devs decided to make The Following even worse with all that horror cliches. WHY?! Why the heck did you do this to your wonderful game! Why did you really need to spoil everything by turning your game into the complete B-movie trash and ruin everything good that was in there with that terrible, stupid endings? Did you really run out of the ideas or something? Or maybe you've just realized (suddenly, wow) that zomie horror story can't have anyhow good ending, because it's some kind of canon thing? Oh man, I can't understand it at all and I can't accept it at all too. Instead of creating something at least slightly original, you've just willingly ruined it... But nobody demands anything canon, everyone nowdays wants something fresh (even in rotten zombie-themed material) and original.

And with that I'd like to pinpoint another terrible game design mistake that The Following suffers from: in the end, experiencing any of the 2 ending, the player feels void, dissapointed and confused. Because it becomes obvious that there was no reason at all for all the running and killing, and talking fro Crane, and risking, and hoping! There was NO REASON for doing ANYTHING in this DLC, because in the end it turned out that nothing matters, no struggle, no burning hope - everything is USELESS, all the effort and all the time spent in vain, both for Crane and the player. 

So, tell me now, kind devs, what's the reason of the game with no result and no outcome? Can it really be called worthy, good entertainment, can it bring any kind of satisfaction? Nope, it's not! Because we, players, people, have a lot of useless, unpleasant activities in our life every day, chores that don't bring nice feelings, the things that we must do because it's our job without seeing the results, without witnessing the fruits of our labor. It's everywhere in our life and when it comes into media, into games... it's just awfully, painfully depressing. We can't run away from uselessness, from empty trying even in games and only dumb people can enjoy it.

As for those who will shout at me "But the process of gaming is what the most important! The parcour thingy and all!" I'm going object with the following comparison: imagine you are having an intercourse (why not, it's everywhere now, everyone is doing and watching it now) with a not very unpleasant person, and the process of rubbing bodies with that person is nice, and the person smells nice and you are almost THERE, almost ready to come (and probably fall in love), when suddenly this person gets up and leave without explaining. And you just sit there, left without a release, wondering and feeling fooled and experiencing anger. So yeah, how about this, huh? You don't have an intercourse only for the process of it if you are denied a release in the end. This is why a good ending is so important, as it must bring satisfaction to the player. It may be happy ending or an unhappy ending and there's a lot of examples. And the both endings of The Following are unhappy, but also badly written, hollow and useless. Devs obviously wanted just to get rid of Crane. Oh well, you don't absolutely have to create the whole game just to kill a nice, likeable character, you know. Is it a trend or something?

I probably might be actually sorry for being a bit too harsh here, but I see that devs doesn't understand the point at all, like they are isolated from the world and that's a bad thing. So yeah, I apologize, but I'm tired of being silent and just accept what's put into my face by the companies. So I say. Might make someone angry even, but that's actually a good thing. Maybe someone will read it and maybe even think about what I want to explain.

With that I say goodbye to the game as I have no hope in it at all anymore. I'm dissapointed like I've never been before, mostly because I hate spending my time uselessly and this is what The Following made me feel. I have no hope in you anymore, but this is what you probably wanted, kind devs. Like you ever care, blah.

I have read all that text... and I still don't know what broke the game...

Is he talking about just not likeing the ending of the story?

big deal

Out of concern for story spoilers, as I haven't completed the expansion yet, I didn't read the entire post.

But I will say that I found the base game's story very cliché and predictable, however with some unforgettable highlights. 'Particularly, the opening missions introducing night gameplay.

The Following seems to be taking an older thematic approach, and having seen the open fields riddled with zombies, it felt like a clear salute to Night of The Living Dead, and to be honest - it gets two thumbs up from me for that. It's also got some Mad Max in it that I'm enjoying as well.

So far, it's a great expansion and I can't wait to play more.

Edited by Wolfman

Reminds me of Dead Space 3: Awakened's ending. You waited for that expasion not only for the new stuff, but also to see how does Isaac Clarke's story ends, and you just get a cliffhanger in the end, devoid of any meaning. And Dead Space 4 is not likely to happen, so that was it.

The same thing applies here. You didn't only wait for this expansion just for the cool new toys and map, but also to see how does Kyle Crane's story ends. Sure, we didn't get a cliffhanger (At least!), but we did get two poorly written endings involving sentient volatiles and what else horseshite. And guess what? Even Crane gets killed off just like any likeable character Dying Light had (Looking at Jade and Rahim, for example). Every time I'd meet a new character I'd be wondering how will they get killed off in the future, typical Dying Light writing, after all.

I hope the real ending is the one where Crane takes the vials, so we can at least get a sequel. Because despite the poor writing. I chupacabra LOVE THIS GAME.

You're entitled to your opinion I suppose sir but personally, these devs worked harder than hell put way more blood, sweat, and tears into their product than you understand just to make you happy! They gave you a free update overhauling the game and you're upset with the story? You know how hard it is to write compelling stories? Here's and idea sit down and write a story to Techland and then use your equipment and make a game around it.

Edited by Cypherics

While i disagree with the game play portion of the comment... I strongly agree with the end. I didn't like it at all. It defiantly left me disappointed with crane turning. BUT!!! i will say in a way this sets up the ability to move to another area. Plus allowing them to go another way with the game. Crane turned into what the Mother was, meaning him being able to still talk as a human in a telepathic way. There is only so much you can do with Haran, Old Town, and the area we just played in. (Sorry don't know name).

BUT again allows for them to continue the game and trying to figure out a cure for the virus just as the goal has been this whole time. But i digress, While again I'm disappointed crane is gone (for what we think or know) it sets up for another game/DLC.

wow..

I agree.

OP, I like your analysis

How can you blame Techland if zombie apocalyptic genres are intrinsically unimaginative and cliché. I agree, We all know the ending to a zombie story -- they all die even more, some hero (kyle crane) lives on (or dies).

The Following has many bugs and annoying console limitations that I hope TL soon address, but don't leave this story up to TL alone. Replay and reimage your story.

The wall of text can be basically summarized as "I don't like what happens to crane.  There for the story is garbage, the entire DLC was pointless, and Techland should feel bad."  If you're going to slam them for being cliche by having negative endings then you might as well slam the entire zombie genre because it's all been done.  And news flash you Don't need a happy ending in order for it to be a well written piece.

Crane was a one dimensional character who was hired to do a job we all are used to "go cover the government/companies chupacabra."  He didn't develop as a person.  None of the people he befriended brought anything out of him.  He was just a walking hero fulfilling a job.  I was never attached to him.  and nothing in the writing indicated he was going to survive.  Because as I said he lacked any sort of character development.  He was only "important" because we played as him.

This isn't like mass effect 3 where we have a pre established character that just bends over and accepts something which damages shepards image.  Or Samus entire character being shattered in other M.  What happens to crane isn't a tragedy.  It was an eventuality.  And if you want to get technical Crane actually did something important.  His existence wasn't entirely meaningless.  Regardless of which ending you choose crane still gave the research out so a hopes of a cure could be made.  If you choose the ending of the nuke then in the future of an outbreak they have an advantage.  If you choose to fight mother and become sentient volatile the same thing.  Except people still have an outbreak on their hands.  One that can possibly get worse.

Dying light can still move forward as a story and eventually have a storybook good ending.  Just not with crane.  and that's not the end of the world.