MaXThReAT

Issue With Missing Foliage - Downgrade?

**With the latest patch this issue has been corrected. All foliage is rendered as before and ferns no longer fade out.**

A big Thank you Techland and all the devoted developers, programmers, artists and everyone involved in the game. You guys are fantastic. 

This game truly is a work of art. I'm looking forward to finishing Nightmare mode and starting The Following.  

The PCSS shadows look absolutely amazing and are a great addition to the game.

I commend any developer that helps push the limits of cutting edge tech and visuals. 

Thank you again for everything, you guys are great. I will support you for years to come.

I am seeing missing foliage all over the entire map as well as plants that fade into nothing a foot or two away from view.

Please tell me I have some strange issue.

Both are set on High for foliage.

Standard Edition:

d9wZ3x2.jpg

Enhanced Edtion:

TBAB1fw.jpg

Standard Edition:

rVNxeUZ.jpg

Enhanced Edtion:

TJLTOyN.jpg

Standard Edition:

dWBqTzy.jpg

Enhanced Edtion:

CNgaVKX.jpg

Standard Edition:

zPiHJOT.jpg

Enhanced Edtion:

ePmJpVy.jpg

Edited by MaXThReAT

The way the ferns dither away I highly doubt it's a bug. This is something they've added. All the missing plants and foliage is no doubt their way of "Enhancing" performance.

The entire map is missing so many plants and foliage it looks bare now. I'm sorry but this "enhanced" edition is a full on downgrade.

Screww The Following, I'll keep my Non Enhanced, Non Downgraded version. WTF Techland. A performance updated should not mean lower graphics and less detail. 

Edited by MaXThReAT

I would like to know just what you think you've done techland. This is not funny and is a huge downgrade. 

Behold your "Enhanced Downgrade Edition."  (all shots on PC)

Standard:
hkya3Y0.jpg

Enhanced:
Cc1WqEu.jpg

Standard:
h6N69jw.jpg

Enhanced:
e3Wjxmp.jpg

Standard:
6h2vPuK.jpg

Enhanced:
vbI425g.jpg

Standard:
AnYl57Q.jpg

Enhanced:
XfuNoew.jpg

Standard:
3yU5ezt.jpg

Enhanced:
RrXdevN.jpg

I've opened ticket, if You want too, just send to them email: support@techland.pl

Thank you for doing that I do appreciate it. I'll do the same. In the meantime I will try to keep this post in the forefront for greater visibility and please update us if you hear back.

Also just to show some NPC changes.

Some of the models have very messed up eyes and IMO the skin does not look as good as before. It looks like the cloths have had a lot of details removed however there does seem to be more variations. 

This whole Enhanced Edition just screams downgrade, I know it's a balancing act but I liked the art and direction way more before it was "Enhanced".

Enhance definition: Intensify, increase, or further improve the quality, value, or extent of. I see none of this in the EE "patch"

Some NPC Changes.

Brecken looks like an upset strung out drug addict now. Thank god they didn't change Jade.

Standard:
BfICWjJ.jpg

Enhanced:
rSmRGUM.jpg

Standard:
VrROpFG.jpg

Enhanced:
eqQdiUZ.jpg

Standard:
KJoy09l.jpg

Enhanced:
2PyuXcO.jpg

Standard:
r2AM4vQ.jpg

Enhanced:
imMJ8oR.jpg

Standard:
mdk3GpV.jpg

Enhanced:
S2hwNFc.jpg

Edited by MaXThReAT

I've opened a ticket, though I'm hopeful this is a bug, I'm afraid it's a total downgrade. Many users will be never be able to view what this game once was. I thought we had graphic options on PC for a reason, seems most people don't understand what they are for including Techland. Once the ticket is answered I will update. I will say I will not be getting the following and I will not allow my reinstalled game to be updated or connect online again. In the end I lost nothing and will keep more money in my pocket, it's just a huge let down what they've done. 

It's strange decision, I can understand such behavior in case of Following, but downgrade of all game, is totally bad idea. And as I've said before, I'm hoping that this is just an bug.

It's a very strange decision. To downgrade a game that has been out for so long. I've tried to get used to it but the game world just look so empty now. They said they would reply within 48 hours. Hope to get an answer soon. 

Anyone else that does not approve of this downgrade or would like to know whats going on please chime in so they are aware of your thoughts on all this missing foliage. 

Edited by MaXThReAT

So, i just created an account, only to write this; I'm a little bit angry Techland. I love Dying Light & The Following, in fact its my favorite zombie game and I spent over 120h with it (i never played a game that long).....but why do you have to downgrade the graphics on pc, AGAIN?! Seriously, you scaled back the Draw Distance for the third(!) time now. Shadows also looks worse then before, especially trees/leaf shadows ( https://youtu.be/XMXOaeIwIKg?t=21s )

There are many people who invest a lot of money in their hardware and now we have almost console-settings (no attack). I know graphics aren't everything, but this game looked and performed amazing before - now a lot of the areas looks really empty and odd....

I never would of noticed this really, well maybe for the disappearing ferns I guess. I assume this is some kind of texture bug. There's a lot more foliage in "The Countryside" map so it's kind of strange of why there's some missing/disappearing foliage in the original maps. I don't know about the npc characters though.

The most noticeable tweaks are the colors and lighting tones. The environment looks more vibrant/crisp than the previous version which looked a bit gritty and washed out. The newer graphics tweaks almost look similar to the 2013 alpha version of Dying Light, it just lacks a hint of "DoF" effects and other minor things. I would say using the macro processing effect looks similar to the alpha version, but it's a lot more blue toned and depending on the time of day, looks odd xD.

I think this might be happening because of the buggy cockpit view.

On foot, the player can simply clip through the foliage with no real distracting clipping issues (the foliage does clip through the player's weapon and hand, but it's not too noticeable unless you're looking for it specifically).

In the buggy, the player now has a view of the front end of the buggy (the steering wheel, dashboard/console, front fender, etc.) which stick out from in front of the player. If the foliage didn't fade/disperse away when driving through it, you would clearly see the foliage clipping straight through the buggy's front end and straight into your view obstructing the details of inside the buggy's cockpit (which might be distracting for some).

Though I have too seen this effect in the main campaign where driving the buggy is not an option, so I don't know why it's happening there. Of course this is just my guess on why the foliage is now doing this fade/dispersing thing and I could be wrong. But it looks like maybe a global setting got triggered when there should be two for when driving a buggy through foliage and when walking on foot through foliage.

@FRMC56, nice opinion buddy and I think You right, I've didn't tried Following yet, but in main campaign it looks terrible, when trees disappear.

I got at least 270 hours in main game, I have all Achievemnts and I'm one of the many player, that like Bozak and fever challenges. Dying Light one of my favorite games for all time. So please fix this bug on Xbox One, game was brilliant on 30 FPS with all this foliage across map.

I have the PC version and PS4 and are now virtually the same. After the chupacabra they've done with this patch , I had to download the version 1.6.2 torrent edition.

It is the last game that I buy from this company , so I will be sure that I will play the version I want , as the paid version does not allow me to choose.

So I'm new to this game on ps4 and only played a few hours before the enhanced edition dropped. I also noticed the missing foliage and would like to see it come back. I'm surprised that the devs chose to turn down the foliage on all versions and chose not to get rid of the terrible chromatic aberration and awful motion blur. I do appreciate being able to toggle off film grain but wouldn't taking away all the terrible camera filters provide better optimization so we could keep the density of the foliage? Why wouldn't they want their game to look better in exchange of getting bridge of those filters? It obviously wouldn't provide as much but it was playable on ps4 before the downgrade so increase frame rate through getting rid of chupacabra filters and not through damaging the actual beauty of dying light. I realize I've repeated myself but I just don't understand the decision. It doesn't do anything positive for the experience.

Ok, I've got first answer from tech support:

​If you are sure it is a glitch, delete the game completely and re-install it, please, making sure you have stable internet connection during and after the installation process, so that the game's large critical updates can be downloaded and successfully applied.

So, not much right now, but I'll answer to them.

You are not alone, I have noticed that well.

Stuffed Turtle as well, when I re-enter it shows Packages Recovered 0/0 and yet there is one in there not the usual five as there is in other QZ.

Also, Linux performance issues, I use the same hardware as when I boot up into windows 8.1 and yet it is as though Kyle is walking through a strobe light, I can play that for about 10 minutes my wife cannot be in the same room as she suffers with photosensitive epilepsy, yes there is a warning.

The reply I received.

"Unfortunately, we have no information on the issue you have described at the moment. Which gaming platform is your issue connected with - PC, PS4 or Xbox One?"
Best Regards
Grzegorz Krawczyk, TECHLAND

I got my answer as well. They clearly do not care. They are well aware of what they did, it is clear as day to every single person on the plant. 

They are simply waiting to gauge the backlash. I'm not going to play this stupid game with them and there is not enough support here to get anything done. 

As far as I'm concerned the only zombies around here are the ones not speaking up. 

I will not support developers that don't care about their customers. This is a gigantic bate and switch.

If they cared even in the slightest about fans requests there would have been an option to remove chromatic aberration, if anything I think they made it stronger.

Thank god for torrents and modders because that's the only way your getting your game back to normal. 

Screew you techland and get bent Mr. Grzegorz Krawczyklasdfjowiiosz.

THEY DOWNGRADED THE ENTIRE GAME ON ALL PLATFORMS AND PRETENDED THEY DID NOTHING.

DO NOT BUY GAMES FROM THESE PEOPLE. 

Hi there! Sorry, there's been a little miscommunication on our side. We're actually investigating this issue and it will be fixed in the next patch. 

Dear Techland,

Grzegorz and Marta, 

You have caught me a bit by surprise with this information. This news makes me exceedingly happy to hear, I must say it's quite unexpected. I had all but written off having this "issue" addressed. I have a bit of renewed faith and respect in Techland and yourselves. 

I am quite passionate about my hobby and I know at times I can be a tad bit..harsh. I understand that miscommunication do happen and the work that everyone does there is exceedingly complex in regards to programming and engine development.

To be quite frank I considered Dying Light to be a complete masterpiece as it was already, a shear work of art. As a masterpiece of artwork and technology you can imagine I have developed deep feeling and emotion in connection with the game. I tolerated the 1.05 downgrading but this issue is one I could not let go. It was as if someone had destroyed the Mona Lisa and forced me to watch it. We know I am not alone and there are indeed many other new pending issues as well.

Going forward I do not expect a patch overnight at all but with this simple acknowledgment of the situation and a statement that it will be corrected you have indeed begun to redeemed my regards and others I'm sure. For this I thank you greatly. I will, as soon as the patch is made public, retract/update/delete all of my statements across all media as such harsh words may not have been warranted after all.

Again thank you and I will patiently await further communication.