Sign in to follow this  
Statik Wolf

Manditory Assists Are Spoilers!

I walk down a scary street at night.  Not sure what horrors await me behind any corner.  The atmosphere is perfect.  I turn off the hud and don't use survivor sense to really immerse myself.  As I move through the dark I'm suddenly alerted...by... my.. hud?   Eyeball icons pop up over enemies heads.  They warn me of the danger while also tagging enemies for me.  I can't turn it off... I CAN'T TURN IT OFF!   .....      I don't want to know where the monsters are.  I don't want to know when I'm in danger.  When I turned off the HUD, I want the ENTIRE hud off.  Why are these icons still warning me of monsters?  WHY CAN'T I TURN THEM OFF!?  So as I wander in the darkness, spoiler after spoiler pops up.  Monster over there.. and over there.. and over there.    Oh wow, I wouldn't have seen him.. that would have been terrifying.  .....  but that wonderful eyeball let me know well in advance.  My pulse never climbing.  No adrenaline rush.  No sense of fear.  These MANDATORY warnings ruin the game for me.  I just want to turn them off so I can enjoy being in danger WITHOUT KNOWING IT!  I want to suddenly hear the gurgles of a monster in the dark.  Knowing that it means I've been spotted but having no clue where the monster is.  I want panic to set in from being UNAWARE!  However any time I actually am spotted.  The game let's me know not only that I have been spotted, but who spotted me and where they are.  Please please please, make it so when I turn off the hud...  make it disable THE ENTIRE HUD.  Please get rid of these eyeball icons on my screen.  I don't use survivor sense but it doesn't matter.  The game insists on warning me of danger.  Constantly giving me information I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!   It literally is the only thing standing between me and enjoying this game.  Please make it optional, not mandatory.  Thank you for your time.     (This issue was posted on before however there was confusion regarding it.  This is a repost to better clarify my issue and desire.)  PS: This literally makes or breaks the game for me.  If these warnings are never made optional.  I just can't see myself enjoying the game.  It will end up never being played all because of a simple hud element that could easily be made optional.

Edited by Statik Wolf

I agree with you.
And the sound you hear when an enemy looks at you (when the gauge starts to fill up, not when the alert is triggered), also breaks the immersion.

It really upsets me because I LOVE the game.  I can imagine just how awesome it would be to play me and my friends.  My friends and I heard about nightmare mode and the no hud option. I can't tell you how we rejoiced and waited soooo impatiently for it.   When the eyeball icons still warned us, it was crushing.  I wanted to cry because here is this game I really want to play but can't enjoy because of something that shouldn't be manditory.  My friends and I played for all of five minutes.  We got bored and stopped.  It was a very upsetting moment for us.  I really hope they make it optional.  I could soooo see myself and my friends enjoying the adrenaline rush the game COULD be capable of.  Until then, it will collect dust.

I agree with statik. Turning off the HUD makes a huge difference and turns an ordinary experience into a fantastic and unique experience. You can finally focus on your main objective and not worry about the clutter on your screen. You feel free and alive and ready to take on a horde of zombies both at night and during the day, but there is one HUGE issue that immediately brings that amazing feeling to a halt, the eyeball icons that appear on the screen. Having the ultimate power to turn off the HUD rejuvenated my love for Dying Light and I wanted to experience every good and bad moment at its fullest, but I couldn't do that because I was warned of where the scariest thing was in the game!!! I was under the impression that the volatiles where meant to make people think twice and make bad decisions and get those double points, but I was wrong...way wrong. Having the ability to know where they are allows me to make those quick decisions to dash behind a car or grapple to the top of a building and that alone is NOT scary or fun. When I turn my HUD off, I expect my ENTIRE HUD to be OFF!! Those eyeballs that pop on the screen are counted as a HEADS UP DISPLAY (HUD), because it is giving me a HEADS UP telling me, "Hey, you know, I know I'm suppose to scare you and all, but here I am!! I'll give you a nice 5 second head start to look for some where to hide!!!" I was expecting my heart to race and my body tense when I hear the sight sound of the volatile. I wanted every moment to become an OH chupacabra moment when I hear them, but, hey guess what!!, I can't. WHY? (drum roll) the eyeball icons!!! 

Techland, you said so yourselves that you listened to us and yet you didnt (fully). You want players to experience an apocalypse to it's fullest? Give us an option to get rid of the eyeball icons, then we can experience an apocalypse to it's fullest. So please, don't make statements like "We want you to experience an apocalypse to it's fullest" and not fully honor them. What are you afraid of? Give us and ON and OFF button that gives us the option to turn off the volatile spot icons (eyeballs). Be the example and show other companies that a scary game can still be fun with no training wheels. I hope you guys read this and consider it in the future. I want to experience this game at its fullest with no assists what so ever.

Edited by Alaster_Crowley

I agree with statik. Turning off the HUD makes a huge difference and turns an ordinary experience into a fantastic and unique experience. You can finally focus on your main objective and not worry about the clutter on your screen. You feel free and alive and ready to take on a horde of zombies both at night and during the day, but there is one HUGE issue that immediately brings that amazing feeling to a halt, the eyeball icons that appear on the screen. Having the ultimate power to turn off the HUD rejuvenated my love for Dying Light and I wanted to experience every good and bad moment at its fullest, but I couldn't do that because I was warned of where the scariest thing was in the game!!! I was under the impression that the volatiles where meant to make people think twice and make bad decisions and get those double points, but I was wrong...way wrong. Having the ability to know where they are allows me to make those quick decisions to dash behind a car or grapple to the top of a building and that alone is NOT scary or fun. When I turn my HUD off, I expect my ENTIRE HUD to be OFF!! Those eyeballs that pop on the screen are counted as a HEADS UP DISPLAY (HUD), because it is giving me a HEADS UP telling me, "Hey, you know, I know I'm suppose to scare you and all, but here I am!! I'll give you a nice 5 second head start to look for some where to hide!!!" I was expecting my heart to race and my body tense when I hear the sight sound of the volatile. I wanted every moment to become an OH chupacabra moment when I hear them, but, hey guess what!!, I can't. WHY? (drum roll) the eyeball icons!!! 

Techland, you said so yourselves that you listened to us and yet you didnt (fully). You want players to experience an apocalypse to it's fullest? Give us an option to get rid of the eyeball icons, then we can experience an apocalypse to it's fullest. So please, don't make statements like "We want you to experience an apocalypse to it's fullest" and not fully honor them. What are you afraid of? Give us and ON and OFF button that gives us the option to turn off the volatile spot icons (eyeballs). Be the example and show other companies that a scary game can still be fun with no training wheels. I hope you guys read this and consider it in the future. I want to experience this game at its fullest with no assists what so ever.

Thank you for the support and I appreciate you adding to what I said.  I really think the game is good, but it could be great.  Without it holding my hand, I could see myself playing all day long.  Well into the night too because it would be extra scary.  I have tried to force myself to play.  I turn off the hud but it's not really off is it?   upsetting every time.