Sign in to follow this  
Statik Wolf

Sick Of Assists! Nightmare Mode Ruined!

(THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT SURVIVOR SENSE, IT IS ABOUT THE THREAT DETECTION ICONS THAT APPEAR WHEN YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE SPOTTED) I absolutely love the look and feel of dying light.  Unfortunately the game holds your hand no matter what difficulty you have it on.  I waited so excited for "nightmare" mode and the ability to FINALLY turn off the HUD.  Only to discover that the eyeball icons which warn you that you are about to be seen, still appear.  I would say 75% of the fear of a monster comes from NOT knowing where it is.  Unfortunately dying light does all it can to warn you of every little danger.  Even if you turn off the hud for an absolutely beautiful game that feels immersive, the eyeball icons will pop up ruining that immersion and spoiling what could potentially be a scary situation.  The enemies are so easy to avoid with all the warnings the game gives you.  The game now has four difficulty settings and it holds your hand in all of them.  So I beg you to please PPPPPLLLEASE get rid of the icons that let you know you are about to be seen.  Also pllllllease consider AT LEAST putting a background timer on the x ray super power that lets you magically know where monsters are.  I DON'T USE IT AT ALL THOUGH.  Not that it matters with the icons warning me all the time anyway.  Dying Light is an amazing game.  I could see myself having tons of fun playing it if it didn't hold my hand like an infant.  I waited so excited for this no HUD option and when I saw those eyeball icons still popping up, I wanted to cry.  As it stands now, I will delete the game and try to find something else to do.  Telling me where the monsters are literally kills all the fun for me.  I don't mind having a warning OPTION, however that assist seems to be manditory no matter what difficulty you play on.  It's amazing how something so little can literally ruin the fun.  Please please please please please consider patching it so I can TURN OFF THREAT INDICATORS!!!   If you do that, I will be addicted to an otherwise great game.  If not, I probably won't ever play again.  Thank you for your time.     PS:  This post is NOT about survivor sense!!! this post is about the threat detection icons.  They are eyeball icons that appear over the heads of enemies when you are about to be spotted.  These icons warn you of danger also while giving away enemy locations.  They are NOT optional.  You can NOT turn them off.  Which is what this post is about.   I do mention survivor sense because I believe it is a bit excessive. However that is not what this post is about and I do not use it.

Edited by Statik Wolf

Regarding of eye icons,It is too accurate as information (just above the enemy), and the zombies reaction time is not fast enough.

I would love a better reaction time "volatile" and night walkers when they spot you. Or even a kind of research (no triggered alert) that activate when a human going on in their field of vision without the gauge is completely filled. They come closer to what they think they saw.

Just disable survivor sense (unbind it). Cut and dry, this is it. Problem solved.

Don't use it.

Simple, right?

This post is NOT about survivor sense.  This post is about the THREAT DETECTION ICONS.  they are eyeball icons that appear on your screen when you are about to be spotted.  They not only let you know you are about to be spotted, they also give away enemy locations.  These icons CAN NOT be turned off.  Which is what this post is about.  I do mention survivor sense, however that is NOT what the post is about.

Wait wait whos forcing you to use survivor sense? Seriously just dont use it.

Again, this post is not about survivor sense.  It is about the threat detection icons that appear over enemies heads when you are about to be spotted.  These icons at the current time CAN NOT be turned off.  I do mention survivor sense in the post, but it is not what the post is about.  I had to add disclaimers to the beginning and end of the post because I guess I worded myself poorly or no one seems to be able to identify the actual subject of the post.  They ignore the subject.  (the eyeball icons) and post about something I only mention (the survivor sense).  Also in the post, when I mention survivor sense.  I even say "I don't use it."  I took the time to caps that part because I guess you missed it. I feel like no one is reading the post.  They might read a couple sentences and assume what it is about.

Edited by Statik Wolf

The key point of this post is, at no time do I want to be shown where monsters are.  I do not use survivor sense but it doesn't matter because threat detection icons reveal enemy locations regardless and CAN NOT be turned off.  I don't want to be warned in any way, shape or form that I am in danger.  When I turn off the HUD in NIGHTMARE mode, I want the ENTIRE hud to be off.  These icons still pop up and warn me of danger which ruins my fun.  As I walk down a dark street on a scary night.  Wondering what horror awaits me.  I quickly learn that the game is not about running from scary monsters.  It's about not letting those little eyeball icons fill up with red.  So as I walk I see eyeball pop up over there.. and over there.. and over there.  I'm not using survivor sense but the game is insisting on telling me where the enemies are anyway!  and I can't make it stop.

Edited by Statik Wolf

Totally agree with this...

I don't know why they didn't go the whole hog and just give the player an option menu checklist like Far Cry does, you can turn off practically everything if you want!

Edited by Lamoi

I suggest completely doing away with Survivor Sense as an option in the menus and replace it with a function to let us check our watch.

That way we can take off the training wheels while still having a nice little function in it's place.

And I do agree, the game just refuses to let go of our hands, but it's still nice to see a new challenge.

Edited by Wolfman

I agree with statik. Turning off the HUD makes a huge difference and turns an ordinary experience into a fantastic and unique experience. You can finally focus on your main objective and not worry about the clutter on your screen. You feel free and alive and ready to take on a horde of zombies both at night and during the day, but there is one HUGE issue that immediately brings that amazing feeling to a halt, the eyeball icons that appear on the screen. Having the ultimate power to turn off the HUD rejuvenated my love for Dying Light and I wanted to experience every good and bad moment at its fullest, but I couldn't do that because I was warned of where the scariest thing was in the game!!! I was under the impression that the volatiles where meant to make people think twice and make bad decisions and get those double points, but I was wrong...way wrong. Having the ability to know where they are allows me to make those quick decisions to dash behind a car or grapple to the top of a building and that alone is NOT scary or fun. When I turn my HUD off, I expect my ENTIRE HUD to be OFF!! Those eyeballs that pop on the screen are counted as a HEADS UP DISPLAY (HUD), because it is giving me a HEADS UP telling me, "Hey, you know, I know I'm suppose to scare you and all, but here I am!! I'll give you a nice 5 second head start to look for some where to hide!!!" I was expecting my heart to race and my body tense when I hear the sight sound of the volatile. I wanted every moment to become an OH chupacabra moment when I hear them, but, hey guess what!!, I can't. WHY? (drum roll) the eyeball icons!!! 

Techland, you said so yourselves that you listened to us and yet you didnt (fully). You want players to experience an apocalypse to it's fullest? Give us an option to get rid of the eyeball icons, then we can experience an apocalypse to it's fullest. So please, don't make statements like "We want you to experience an apocalypse to it's fullest" and not fully honor them. What are you afraid of? Give us and ON and OFF button that gives us the option to turn off the volatile spot icons (eyeballs). Be the example and show other companies that a scary game can still be fun with no training wheels. I hope you guys read this and consider it in the future. I want to experience this game at its fullest with no assists what so ever.

Edited by Alaster_Crowley

Nightmare Mode is already proving to be a very challenging experience now that essentially everything you do costs stamina. And it's nice to see we can finally remove the HUD too. I like that they tweaked Ultimate Fighter so that you don't have infinite swing time, however I feel the same should apply to Ultimate Runner.

In my opinion though, even with the tweaks, I can't help but feel like many of the skills still prove to be a little too powerful, but I guess I'll have to give myself some time to get seasoned with the difficulty.

I also agree that Dying Light should provide a checklist for each and every HUD element that you wish to remove or keep. While I would certainly play with a clean screen, I still would like to bring up the weapon wheel to select the item or equipment I want.

Also, I like that they added a bloody screen element. That fades as you heal. I honestly thought it was a bug, but it proves to be convienent without the clutter.