Wolfmeister1010

Animation And Contrast Changes?

So after watching a few newer videos I was really disappointed at first, I admit. Whereas in the first IGN demo the world was colorful and beautiful, with rich greens in the trees, colorful lighting, and deep rich colors, the newer game plays show a much MUCH more washed out environment.

At first my stupid PC gamer mind said "DOWNGRADE! DOWNGRADE!"

Hi, my name is Wolfmeister btw! :)

But then I realized that it wasn't necessarily a downgrade, it was just a change. The textures, models, and everything is is still the same, but the entire lighting system seems to have changed, or at least the contrast is WAYYYYY lower.

Now, I can see how some people might like the new more "apocalypsey" atmosphere, but I was one of the people who liked the colorful environment of the early game plays.

Does ANYONE know if there will be an option to increase the contrast in the game? Asked Mr. Maciej on his ask.fm thing but he is busy so he didn't get to it. I would love to re achieve that 2013 look.Anybody else feel the same way?

Also, really hope there is an option to turn off HUD icons, lol.

The last thing is the animations. Anybody notice the change? In early game plays, the weapons made contact with rigid bodies and the player kinda used a bit of force to drag the weapon back. But now, the weapons seem to sort of bounce off the bodies, and the attacks are much quicker.

Question: Do you think certain weapons are more "bouncy" than others? Or do you think they changed the animations entirely? Which ones did you prefer?

Sorry to be making such an intense thread as a newbie. But I am interested to hear what you all have to say! And maybe this thread will get the attention of some devs as well. 

Cheers

Been researching. They completely changed it for the worse. I don't really know why no one else picked up on this. Been watching a LOT of game plays.

The shadow quality in the new game plays is chupacabra. The lighting is NOTHING but next gen, and the darkest shadows in the game are nothing more than a light grey. There is zero use of any sort of occlusion technique, the reflection mapping on the ground and wet surfaces is GONE, details from the environment are GONE, the bright richness of godrays and light shafts are gone, the depth of field effect is basically gone. The environments look bland and boring compared to before, even grainier, and I am starting to think it wasn't just a "stylistic choice". 

What really sucks is that they canceled the last gen because "this game is just too next gen" but then THIS is what we get? On ultra PC? At first I thought it was just a contrast issue..but now.. 

what happened..

Edited by Wolfmeister1010

Definitely agree, I was just hoping that the lush green areas we saw in 2013 were different areas of the game, perhaps a bit more off the beaten path and away from the central city but now I'm starting to have my doubts. Another small thing I'm hoping for is real gun names. Not 'large pistol' or simply 'assault rifle' I also really hope that PS4 gets the great wind effects, the trees blowing about looks great.

Hi, and welcome ;-)

I dont agree, on any of your points - I think the game looks great !!

You might be right, but it still looks beautiful - watching the gameplay from joystiq it looks great, and while he is running in and out of some containers - it is perfect black inside, and light outside. 

While you can nowadays go and look at gameplay from games, almost from the first line of code ... ^_^ ... its just never going to count until you play the game, on your own system and can jydge it for yourself.

Dont be let down by what you dont get, but be happy about what you have ;-)

The animations looks fine, while there is a kind of easy bounce on some weapons, its seems very focused on what kind of weapon, and the weight of it.

Hi, and welcome ;-)

I dont agree, on any of your points - I think the game looks great !!

You might be right, but it still looks beautiful - watching the gameplay from joystiq it looks great, and while he is running in and out of some containers - it is perfect black inside, and light outside. 

While you can nowadays go and look at gameplay from games, almost from the first line of code ... ^_^ ... its just never going to count until you play the game, on your own system and can jydge it for yourself.

Dont be let down by what you dont get, but be happy about what you have ;-)

The animations looks fine, while there is a kind of easy bounce on some weapons, its seems very focused on what kind of weapon, and the weight of it.

I think what he means was they changed it from a perfect world to the run of the mill orange brown copy paste that all game makers do today.

...So they responded to downgrade claims. They literally said "No! It looks BETTER. Just watch the recent interactive footage".

...THAT footage is what people have been complaining about. Everything is washed out. 

Techland, please for the love of God increase the contrast or give us the option to, because as of now...I'm sorry but it is not a matter of "opinion". There are quite a few graphical aspects that are missing entirely 

Not only is it really generic looking now..but it leo doesn't look good lol.

THEY SENT DEMOS of the beautiful world to youtubers..so it seems like it was PURPOSEFULLY changed.

That would be quite the double crossing from the people who said that they want no embargo on the game so people can play it and say how it looks. I will still get the game play it for a while then compare i t to reviewers copys. And if it is true i will call them out on it!.

on the game so people can see it.

I wonder how people get so...complaining over nothing ;-) 

Anyway - after looking again, the colors look fine - if you stand in the right places, and the sun/time of day is right ! its going to show the colors just the way you want ;-)

also, i do believe we are human beings, and have free will ? , just cancel your pre-order, since you don't like the way the game looks ;-)

I still belive the game looks great ;-)

I am allowed to be disappointed, aren't I? Especially considering the fact that I thought this dev team would be more open to the community. But instead they are just lying through their teeth. 

Just give us a contrast and brightness option, Maciej. Its bad enough we don't have any HUD options either.

I am allowed to be disappointed, aren't I? Especially considering the fact that I thought this dev team would be more open to the community. But instead they are just lying through their teeth. 

Just give us a contrast and brightness option, Maciej. Its bad enough we don't have any HUD options either.

I never said you shouldent be disappointed. Tech has really saprised me thay are more open about there game then most others are. But like i said in another thread i will play a little then compare my verson to the pre release versions handed out then give them a piece of my mind if it is down graded.

Calling the developers out for lying is unnecessary.

If you have problems with how the game looks, ask for more information about the graphical changes first before you start slinging around statements.

Let this be a warning.

Edited by HaNYolO

You know, friend, I would LOVE that! The only problem is, NONE of the devs respond to my questions on Twitter, (although they were MORE THAN HAPPY to respond whenever I praised them for certain trailers or said how proud I am of them for making the right decision with the delay) nor does Maciej answer on his Ask.fm thing. So before you start to threaten me with warning and whatnot, please inform me on how I can get in contact with them :D, and I would be happy to ask for more information.

Until then, I will view their refusal to answer the difficult questions as non willingness to be truthful.

It really is quite entertaining how Maciej complains on his twitter page when ever people ask him bout the release date, but then refuses to answer any actually important other questions.

You know, friend, I would LOVE that! The only problem is, NONE of the devs respond to my questions on Twitter, nor does Maciej answer on his Ask.fm thing. So before you start to threaten me with warning and whatnot, please inform me on how I can get in contact with them :D, and I would be happy to ask for more information.

Until then, I will view their refusal to answer the difficult questions as non willingness to be truthful.

It really is quite entertaining how Maciej complains on his twitter page when ever people ask him bout the release date, but then refuses to answer any actually important other questions.

It is a question that has little significance as most games have a contrast setting.

You know, friend, I would LOVE that! The only problem is, NONE of the devs respond to my questions on Twitter, (although they were MORE THAN HAPPY to respond whenever I praised them for certain trailers or said how proud I am of them for making the right decision with the delay) nor does Maciej answer on his Ask.fm thing. So before you start to threaten me with warning and whatnot, please inform me on how I can get in contact with them :D, and I would be happy to ask for more information.

Dude i think you are really skateing on thin ice with the mods. I would tone it down a notch mang.

Dude i think you are really skateing on thin ice with the mods. I would tone it down a notch mang.

I really, honest to God do not care in the absolute slightest if they decide to ban me or give me an infraction or anything lol. I am a newbie with less than 10 posts, so I don't really have anything to lose. They can do what they want. But if they do decide to ban me for being honest and saying nothing more than that I think the devs are lying to the fans, then I will truly know what Techland is "all about". So We'll see.

I really, honest to God do not care in the absolute slightest if they decide to ban me or give me an infraction or anything lol. I am a newbie with less than 10 posts, so I don't really have anything to lose. They can do what they want. But if they do decide to ban me for being honest and saying nothing more than that I think the devs are lying to the fans, then I will truly know what Techland is "all about". So We'll see.

In what way are they lying to the fans. They havent said anything. Thats not lying, its withholding information which they are allowed to do. Maybe they want us to discover things for ourselves.

You could try to ask Michal Napora on the forum. He's good at giving explanations in detail.

Just throw him a PM.

Don't get me wrong I'm not an apologist for any bad or good game maker. But there is a right way and wrong way to to go about doing things. Ranting a raveing will not help you.

The graphics were upgraded since 2013, especially the lighting system. If you believe it was a downgrade, then it most likely is your personal opinion. Stylistically, we are striving to provide you with the most realistic experience possible, and Dying Light's graphics are set towards that goal, and from the technical standpoint it's a clear case of improvement. Even if that's not what you perceive due to your personal preference.

Let's not go into the whole 'banning' business, Wolfmeister1010 has real concerns he wants to have addressed. I hope I did that, but we were mostly dumbfounded by the claim the game looks worse.

Maybe that's because Dying Light features a day/night cycle, and the lighting changes depending on the time of the day, which might be part of the confusion (various gameplay videos showing different time of day - meaning different lighting)?

The issue is that the new and "improved" lighting system makes shadowed areas looks extremely bland and grainy, leaving shadows looking milky grey instead of...well, shadows (areas that occlude rays of light) . It was wrong of me to say you guys were lying, because you definitely did this on purpose. But surfaces such as blue tarps, red shingles on rooftops, the leaves on trees, the clothing on zombies, the color of the sun rays, look incredibly washed out in comparison to previous trailers. Which is why I (and some others) want there to be a contrast option or something of the like.

Whereas before the day time was bright and colorful, now it is very tan/grey/brown with bland coloring.

While the sunset in previous demos had a brilliant Europeany orange hue, now it is bland and beige. Basically, it has reverted to a color scheme style of such a large number of games, the infamous (brown, grey, and tan one). Players were very fond of the coloring in the first 12 minute demo. It gave off an almost latin feel. Just very colorful and vibrant.The trees were deep green. The colors were rich. Now everything is washed out.  And when night fell, the blackish/blueish hue was such a brilliant departure. Now, it is just bland.

I think that the lighting system was changed to look more "apocalypsey".

@Pawel I have watched a LARGE variety of recent playthroughs from many different you tubers. I assure you that none of the day time footages cmd close in any respect to the level of color fidelity. It is not a time of day issue.

Let me try to elaborate so I don't seem like a thoughtless troll:

There are a few things I wish to point out in the following screen from the 12 minute 2013 gameplay.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5gFuPrIUAA9s77.jpg:large

1.Notice the deep blue color of the tarps. It is rich, while in recent game plays it is washed out

2. Notice the color of the trees. Much richer than it is now.

3. Notice how the shadows underneath the trees and buildings are very dark. This is how shadows are SUPPOSED to behave. Whereas in recent game plays the darkest shadows are nothing more than a light grey.

Now, due to the fact that shadowed areas look incredibly grainy and washed out, it completely ruins the fidelity of the scene during the sunset portions, as displayed here, where the environment looks flat out bland. Also, there is no sort of ambient occlusion I can see, causing buildings to look like cardboard cutouts.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5GfmoICcAA1LKV.jpg:large

Similar things happened in Ac Unity, where daytime looked beautiful because the bright and rich colors played off the dark shadows wonderfully, while the nighttime and sunset failed to impress because the lighting they chose to use during those times of day presented the area in a much blander light. 

Watch Dogs looked wonderful at night because the darkness played off of the many light sources from street lamps and lights, but day time was incredibly bland because the shadows were bland.

Dying Light is a peculiar instance in which neither the day nor the night looks "right" because of the issues regarding the shadows and coloring.

Look at this! Perfect example. It is sunset. The areas occluding light should be VERY, VERY dark, because that is how..lighting..works. But in this pic, the back of this building, which is supposed to be shaded from lighting (It is under the bridge and away from other sources of light) is almost just as bright as the areas hit by sun rays.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B5gIUgeCUAAPK5m.jpg:large

So no, this new lighting technique is NOT more "realistic". In fact, it is less so. Some things like a brightness option would maybe help to bring out the difference between lit areas and shadowed areas as well as darken the shadows a bit. Contrast and gamma options would help bring out the colors that have been washed out.

I could get screens and examples of EVERYTHING but I am lazy so I trust you all can tell from the videos themselves, not just my screens.

Here is an example of a daytime demo with proper coloring and shadows. It is a pewdie gameplay so if you hate him..well, sorry.

Look at how rich the colors are! How deep the shadows are! How the sun reflects so well off the ground and the enemies! AHHHHHHHH

IN TERMS OF TEXTURES, yes, the game has been improved. But if you have poor lighting, it renders that completely useless.

So PLEASE, do SOMETHING, dev team. Contrast option, tweak the lighting more, do SOMETHING. Please.

Wow you sir have did you'r homework bravo.

Hopefully it will help my case and maybe help make a change. I feel bad for getting all pissy, honestly. Look at how nice I tried to be in the first post. I just got REALLY passionate all of the sudden.

I don't want you guys to think I am just a bumbling moron screaming downgrade. I am a PC gamer but I try not to be all "PC MASTER RACE". I am trying to back myself with actual facts and examples, guys.

I just get angry sometimes. Probably because I have some deep unresolved issues in my life. But for now it is all about zambies in my brain