Sign in to follow this  
Lord Calamari

Screen Freezes After Death

Hi, I'm having a problem with a pvp map I am making, Whenver I die, the screen freezes and the game is unplayable from then on. It always freezes at the same point as well, the character dies and falls to the ground and then it freezes before you go to the respawn screen, anyone had this issue?

-LC

Hello his Lordship Calamari,

It's safe to assume you've tossed down a few auxiliary respawn/spawn boxes, yes? In Attributes, give those spawn boxes unique names (we'll use example SP1-3) and in "fields" tab make sure they are enabled for player spawn/respawn . Now jump into your quest editor (gold star icon) and add this after the first quest phase:

",disable _ SpawnPoint MapStart"

...then below that add:

",enable-multi _
            ,o SpawnPoint SP1
            ,o SpawnPoint SP2

,o SpawnPoint SP3"

...and if you have a more linear (non PvP/Horde styled arena) game build, you can enable and disable the spawn points as the player progresses through the map/quests. Just disable the previously needed SpawnPoint and enable the new one when applicable.

I'm recovering a failed drive, so I can't pre-test the fix on DevTools, but it should work. post back if you still have issues, cool man?

...Build On!

-PiZLe

Edited by PiZle_

Hmm, Iv'e tried that but the screen is still freezing, do you think it could be because I'm testing the map in single player as I haven't uploaded yet so the map itself is still in dev tools, should I make it friends only and test it with someone else?

Ok, I've been doing some testing with spawnpoints, and respawnpoints I currently have one spawnpoint (mapstart) and a respawnpoint/questhub called SP1, they are both active, but now when I die, it basically ends the game and my only option is to esc to the menu, in the LEVEL fields tab I do not have the option selected where it ends the game upon death.. this is very strange.

Ok, I can narrow it down even further now,

• However many spawnpoints I have, if the ,pvp phase is in the map, my screen will freeze upon death.
  • If I have more than one spawnpoint and no pvp phase, I will be forced to exit to the menu upon death
  • If I have just one spawnpoint and no pvp phase, it works fine, I just respawn there... but its a pvp map so that won't really work out

Ok, thats what I've just spent ages figuring out, I even went on Rabid Squirrels map 'Don't Drown' and looked at his spawnpoints and he has basically done what I have except they are all the same name whereas I gave mine different names.

Hey LC!

Yeah, spawnpoints be actin' cray-cray on your map, dude! I haven't messed with PvP scripts yet, but I'm sure it'll be a REAL treat when I do.

From what you described, Rabid Squirrel's quest script initiates SpawnPoints indiscriminately by giving them all the same custom name. The quest script thinks they are all one, so it's forced to randomly choose the Spawnpoint it wants (or use all simultaneously and CLONE UNDEAD CRANES EVERYWHERE!!!jklolwtf). I've tried a similar method for AISpawnBoxes, but I didn't get consistent results.

Have you noticed any portion of the script dealing with "player lives" or "spawn-count limits"? Thems might need adjustment if they exist.

Also, I assume you're committing player-suicide to test spawn points? Since there are no other players with you, it might be crashing because it has no one to reward for your death. That frag-point has to go somewhere, right? You only think it's your SpawnPoints because it crashes post-death and pre-load. 

You might just have to build the best you can, then UL and count on the community to help bug-fix. Just copy Rabid Squirrel's phase methods and it should function... it's up to the community after that.

...Build On!

-PiZ   

Edited by PiZle_

Hey LC,

I have been thinking about it and if I recall correctly the Devs once stated that in order to activate respawns one first has to go to either the Zone or the spawn point itself before it activate. When it was crashing did you attempt to journey to at least one of the new spawn points before you killed yourself?

Also have you tried just what I did on 'Don't Drown'? Basically naming all the points MapStart, and Ctrl+C Ctrl+V to achieve multiple spawns?

Squirrel.

Right, after tonnes more testing and frustration, I've figured some stuff out, I went onto a clean world and basically put down 2 spawnpoints. It worked... I respawned randomly at a spawnpoint just like I want, I then did this in my pvp map... it didn't work. I then made a backup of my pvp map and deleted all the quest script... it worked. SO I can conclude it is something to do with my quest script but I have no idea what, do either of you guys know or shall I do the only thing I know might work and start deleting parts of my quest at a time and testing the spawning.

P.S Thanks for all the help so far :)

Hey his most high lordship Calamari,

If you're comfortable with it, post your quest script in a code box and I might be able to see what's up. You can also PM it to me and I'll give it a cleanup and run-through, cool?

...build on!

-PiZLe

Hey LC,

Yeah Having the Quest Script would be helpful when trying to figure out what the issue is with your Respawns.

Also do you by any chance have your map on the workshop set to friends only? I could take a quick look at it then.

Squirrel.

PiZle_ has had a look over the code and my problem may be sorted but I have yet to test that theory by rewriting my code in a certain structure. But I will also put the map up as friends only so you can check it out yourself, keep in mind it is not finished tho, thanks for all the help :)