Sign in to follow this  
techrandy

Slums

I wish There was a way to have the slums in the tools as an example map. I wouldn't mind seing how they did a few things as well as get reference id's from objects.

Is there a reason why we can't have the singleplayer maps in dev tools?

Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a quick search.

Some goodies are locked, homie... just gotta deal with it (certain scripts,campaign maps,etc), but everything you see from the Slums builds is in your Assets list. You just have to dig for it...

Try this:

Open your assets tab and in the left-hand file browser select "Meshes" (it's toward the bottom, below the Data folder). That's where most the meshes be located...yar! All you need to do is generate previews for them. Go to your Varlist and set the weather to "none" (just sunny) and the time to 12-15hrs. Now jump into the "Filters" drop-down list and hide "All Objects" (also toward bottom). Now you are ready to generate previews! Return to the Assets tab and remember the "Meshes" folder on the bottom left? Right-Click it and Generate Previews. Let the system do it's thing and save snaps of your objects to your project folder. Once it's done generating previews, return to filters list and Show all objects again... just make sure to clear the ..."your project"/data/previews folder before uploading your work (not sure it includes in UL, but shaves 600+mb off the save folder)

Also a quick point... make sure you check all the skins for generic objects (floors, ceilings, walls). Most the objects have alternate skins which can change the look of the object completely. Just place the object and enter its attributes and click on the skins tab...toggle from there. Between the Meshes folder and skins you can build pretty much everything from the main game. 

Edited by PiZle_

...if I understand correctly, you want an inactive safe zone that is activated by a logic trigger (EG: flip a light switch to activate safe-zone)? 

OK, go into your Assets browser and clicky the "common" folder. Select a "zone box", place it on your map and scale it to your desired "safe zone" dimensions. Go into the zone Box's attributes tab (little black/white checkered icon) and change the box's Class to "SafeZone". Give the SafeZone Box a custom name you can easily reference ("SZ01" is what we'll use). Set the m_LEnableState to False (uncheck it) and the zone box is done!

Now it's time to place the trigger that flips the m_LEnableState from false to true. Go back into your Assets>common folder and select/place the "Trigger" on your map. Go into the Trigger's attributes tab and give the trigger a custom name (we'll use "TRG01"). Scroll down to the "SWITCH" options and set the m_State to _OFF. Now for the slightly tricky part... right underneath m_State is m_Targets<ILocalblahblah> click it like a button. NOT the "empty" part, but the actual m_Targets<blahblah> it will highlight like a button. NOW holding Ctrl, right-click on your SafeZone Box and select "Add (numbers)[safeZone] to m_Targets". You'll notice in the m_Targets on the trigger, you now have "1 Item". That's your inactive safezone that's activated by that trigger. You can branch lights, sounds, enemies off the same trigger, just remember to set their m_LEnableStates to "false" and connect them by holding Ctrl and right-clicking to add.

...as for your door problem, you need to be a little more specific. There are a few doors/portals/teleports you can use with many options for each.

...Build On!

-Piz 

...it aint nuttin', Randy. I'm glad I could help!

Make sure to start new threads for new questions, so people with similar issues can easily find help, awight?

...Build On! -Piz

Edited by PiZle_