Sign in to follow this  
Wolfmeister1010

"look And Feel" Improvements

I noticed that the EE supposedly has look and feel improvements.

But what exactly do they mean?

Sigh

I wish there was more interest in modding this game from the community so we can get the game back to reveal demo quality.

Better, more realistic blood textures (no blood "mist" effect)

Meatier animations (longer recoil of melee weapons)

In terms of the blood mist

Look at this video

When hitting zombies with the weapons, there is the dark splatter effect.

In the game now, if you attack enemies, you will notice that in addition to this (which itself has been made a much brighter red) there is a red "mist" blood effect that occurs.

In addition to THIS, there is also a clear "molecular distortion" effect when using blunt weapons. Heads also EXPLODE when you kill zombies with head blows, unlike the first gameplay, which is completely unrealistic and stupid in my opinion.

This video shows all these grievances.

Overall, the game's combat visuals/feel went from realistic and meaty to arcadey and hack/slash generic goriest. The game looked like a realistic, gritty, yet gorgeous open world experience in early footage, and became nothing more than a typical zombie shoot 'em up bloody explosion fiesta. 

With the EE, they REALLY have an opportunity to bring back the feel and look of the game that was present in early footage from 2013 to early/mid 2014. Before the animations were nerfed. Before the color scheme was reduced to genetic browns and greens. Before the blood effects were turned from realistic and satisfying to over the top Taratino style. Before it became something other than the Dying Light I fell in love with, the one advertised to me upon reveal.

Hopefully the EE goes back in this direction. One can dream.

I absolutely agree. The blood textures seem so... Gushy. Too meaty. The early builds did definitely look better, hopefully we may be able to capture some of the old build quality. Dying Light is a great game but these areas could be improved. I also liked the older parkour animations, hey seemed to shift and away more, giving the feeling of trying to really pull yourself up. Again, just my opinions. The game already has great animations but they can use a tweak for sure. :-)

It would also be nice to see a greater variation of zombie looks. There's too many bald skirt zombies and maintenance workers around. I liked the older sporty shirt looking ones along with Hijab zombies. Bringing those back and some other looks would be nice. One more thing to add: The corpses on the ground could definitely use an update too. They look good, but they're all pretty much the same: a grey, lifeless corpse that's repeated over and over. Maybe adding some color to them would be nice too :D

I wish the visual effects were better. I play on Xbox One, so there's not even hope for a mod to improve them.

-All the random dust/ash particles in the air need to go.

-The awful colour filter needs the boots as well.

-Zombies need more reaction animations.

-Blood effects need a complete rehauling.

-Damage layering visual effects to add gashed, cuts, and wounds to zombies when slashed by weapons would rule.

Hopefully the EE addresses all these points.

The game in the reveal demo looked very different from the game we're playing now, and I do agree, the demo looks a lot better than Dying Light does now.

That isn't to say that I'm not absolutely content with the product I've bought. I most certainly am. Dying Light is one of the best games I've ever played and I'm sold on it's sequel. (I've been sold on any Techland zombie games since the Dead Island franchise), but there are some things I do want to see, as already mentioned above. 

- Since I'm playing on console and I don't have access to mods, the removal of the HUD has been something I've been wishing for ever since I picked up the game. As seen in the demo: there is none. This led me to be very disappointed when I discovered I could not disable it.

- The game needs to be restored to it's original color scheme - of absolutely nothing. This is not Deus Ex where colors play such a thematic part in the game. And if color filter does - the game can really just do without it because that demo just looks drop-dead gorgeous. The buzzing pollution particles in the air, while are nice I think to promote authenticity for the slums; Are a little too visually intrusive and should only be used in certain areas of the map and not too often.

Hopefully Techland sees this and may make changes the more they see people addressing these issues. I really hope they remove the color filter, the game seems so "Yellow" if that makes sense. :-) I agree with the above responses as well.

Don't get me wrong - I love dying light, it's just that these areas can be tweaked.

I think it would be nice to see a mix of elements from the early build of Dying Light and a mix of newer visuals. I found footage of an early version of Dying Light which differs from the final version. It seems in some areas, there was lack of details in some areas compared to the current version of Dying Light. However, the early build was a bit more vibrant, had some nice visual effects, and neat zombie details.