When I go into a match I generally tell how good the player is by the first few seconds of contact.  They stay in the open and they turn towards you--sometimes even while still moving towards the nest.  They will continue to move around you keeping a distance if you try to block their path.  Many will grapple around if you're not too close as they know they can complete a grapple and turn back towards you before you can get to them.  These are the ones that the UV block / spit tactic doesn't work on.  These will throw a flare as a matter of course even if they still have their light.  You try to GP them in the flare, they'll dodge away--again as a matter of course--out of the GP range and then punish you for the miss.  These are also the ones that will sit still on a roof top in a flare.  You come in a for a spit and jump away, they punish you will a DFA.  You try to land and tackle, they jump over you and turn for a DFA.  Forget a pounce because they have the flare--they want you to pounce for the easy DFA.  So, you attempt a long range spit and they simply dodge or exploit the shield.

I've traded roles with APs so they can show me tactics: do this, do that.  Then I go back into the game for matches it doesn't work.  Pounces get interrupted and tackles get avoided.  Humans complain about GP spamming, but that's the only thing that works consistently as the only thing a player can do is get away--no semi-automatic avoid tatics.  Guess what good players don't let themselves get caught in confined spaces.

Maybe, I'm just being matched with folks who are that much better than me, but when I look they may have been playing the game for well under 100 hours, yet I've been in BtZ alone for well over 100.  Maybe, I just suck.  But the game shouldn't punish you because you suck, should it?  Oh, and I seldom win against someone who has full green bars--a supposed match.

Not going that far but will claim "Hunter is strong enough" in the right hands, particularly with experience and a smart player.

That's the issue, though; this would be true when analyzing Night Hunter gameplay in a balanced environment, but that's not the environment "Be the Zombie" are playing in. There are various exploits/glitches present that amount to cheating from the Human perspective.

Unintended mechanics that are working against other players in a PVP setting, such as duped inventories, Shield/Damage glitches, and off-map/unreachable locations have nothing to do with skill. They are what they are - exploits that tilt the game in the favor of only a single side of the battle. Their presence prevents players from accurately depicting the state of the game, because they, without question, should not be a part of it.

Pete likened the game to a chess match. Imagine how fun it would be if your opponent could point at 2-3 pieces on your side of the board and say, "Those pieces can't kill other pieces."

Chess is a balanced game - Chess with exploits is not.

I would definitely say the Hunter has the combat advantage in a 1v1.  As a Hunter, every time the game starts, "The ball is in your court" so to speak. You get to choose when/where to fight and if you make the right choices and use your resources to their full potential, you can win every skirmish.  Hunters need this advantage as their goal is to get 10 kills...  On the flip side, you are punished heavily for making mistakes...much more so than Survivors.  Survivors need to be cunning and force you into making mistakes ...that's how they win.

Going head to head in a melee battle with a Survivor is a sure way to lose as the Hunter.  That's fully intended.  It's just a bad strategy as a Hunter.  You have plenty of other tools at your disposal to defeat a Survivor. The UV Spit/ Pounce is definitely a combo you should be practicing if you are struggling to get kills.  Melee is still useful in finishing off an injured Survivor.  It's also good for interrupting a Survivor trying to heal or use their hook to get away from bombers.

Hi Pete, since you're looking for glitches, I thought I would make up a quick video on something I've experienced in various forms during matches: inconsistencies in "magnetism" for the Night Hunter.

The first half of the video shows the Hunter's Ground Pound failing to draw a Human toward a set of Spikes, despite close proximity and being directly in front of them. It's quickly followed by a Drop-Kick, which does successfully draw me into a set of Spikes, in the exact spot the Human player had hit previously. Basically, the Human and the Night Hunter hit the same spot on the Spikes, but the Hunter is the only one who is drawn into an insta-death animation.

The second half is another Ground Pound, but this one correctly locks on to the Spikes in the Hunter's favor even though it's essentially the same angle as the first. This is the same match with the same number of people. So it's not like it never works or anything, it just seems hit-and-miss (literally!), even against the same players.

I'm not sure if it's an issue with hit-boxes or latency, but if this could be looked into in the future it would be awesome!

Hmmm..is your GP upgraded? I'm guessing it's not.  You're right that it should have hit the spikes.  I believe there may be an issue with the spike check not looking very far for the GP before it's upgraded.

Hmmm..is your GP upgraded? I'm guessing it's not.  You're right that it should have hit the spikes.  I believe their may be an issue with the spike check not looking very far for the GP before it's upgraded.

Hm, that could be it. My Night Hunter is only at level 6 in this match.

I guess it would make sense that the check would happen before the impact, since the whole thing's an animation. Would love it if those values could be tweaked one day, but priorities are understandably in other areas.

-

Oh, there's one other issue I've come across: Pausing the game (touching the touch-pad) while charging up a Ground-Pound seems to lock the Night Hunter into the "arms up in the air" GP animation, and canceling out of it becomes inconsistent. It can be canceled with the crouch button as normal, but it sometimes takes a few seconds to work, or the first command doesn't input - something of that nature. If this happens, I haven't found a way to get GP to activate; only be canceled after a few tries.

Personally, my finger slides off the left thumbstick of the PS4 controller often and hits the touch-pad, so occasionally I'll slip up (literally!) and lock myself into the GP for an awkward death.

While the better solution is for players like myself to get less-sweaty hands, is there any way this could be fixed, or the Pause menu command changed to clicking the touchpad, rather than touching it?

A simple change like that would go a long way to improving the PS4 experience. Even just lightly brushing against the touch-pad opens up the pause menu, and clicking to open would alleviate a lot of bad situations.

Edited by DoctorPurrington

Could you guys fix the bug where the hints tell you that bombers summoned from the night hunter cannot climb?

https://youtu.be/lpfwAqERofE

They don't 'climb'...it's more like some sort of warping skill they've acquired...nothing in the hints say they cannot teleport ;)

(I'm not directly involved in fixing this but I haven't seen it in any playtest for a long time.  I think it's been taken care of but I'll keep an eye out for it)

They don't 'climb'...it's more like some sort of warping skill they've acquired...nothing in the hints say they cannot teleport ;)

(I'm not directly involved in fixing this but I haven't seen it in any playtest for a long time.  I think it's been taken care of but I'll keep an eye out for it)

Yeah it's not an extremely common occurrence, but it definitely happens roughly every 5 games or so. I didn't include footage of bombers randomly damaging me while on roofs but that happens much more often on top of the random deaths. It definitely keeps my friends and I nervous while up on the roofs waiting for the horde to end and now we never wait in the same spot together because it's killed us both a few times in the past, even when only one of us was hit with the horde. You can watch the radar in the video and see how the bombers kill me. In some instances it seems like the bomber just spawns out of nowhere right on top of you. In other clips, you can see the bomber spawn in the sky and slowly (and sometimes very quickly) lower down to you in a straight line if that helps with solving the problem.

This also wasn't in the video but bombers also spawn on top of large elevated areas with lots of surface area when they shouldn't as well such as on warehouses. You can test this out by just standing on the big flat warehouse that is (I think) the chemical spill quarentine zone beside the bolter feeding grounds in the southwest of the map. Let another dev or whoever is playing as the zombie hit you with the horde and watch. At least one horde spawns up there almost every time in my experience. This one might be a little harder to fix due to the way valid horde spawning locations are calculated, but I can attest through experience that it definitely happens a lot on warehouses. 

Edited by epsdude

Pete,

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but is there a fix for skill points not being given out when leveling up? One of the main reasons I stopped playing is because of this. With the new prestige mechanic having to start over after every mutation is a huge hassle. To add to that matchmaking takes forever for me and when I do find someone 90% of the time they are glitch in an inaccessible place stalling the match. I have very little time to invest in gaming these days so trying to reach mutation level 3 under these circumstances is an extremely lofty goal for me.

Pete,

I haven't seen it mentioned yet but is there a fix for skill points not being given out when leveling up? One of the main reasons I stopped playing is because of this. With the new prestige mechanic having to start over after every mutation is a huge hassle. To add to that matchmaking takes forever for me and when I do find someone 90% of the time they are glitch in an inaccessible place stalling the match. I have very little time to invest in gaming these days so trying to reach mutation level 3 under these circumstances is an extremely lofty goal for me.

I assumed this was intended, to make the leveling process more difficult/take longer to match the higher level of the NH. I don't think it's so much a glitch as it is a way to extend playtime.

I 100% agree with you, though. It feels like the kind of artificial difficulty Destiny employed with their "Hard Mode" Raids, where the level was raised 1 above the players' max level so it would be difficult no matter how well they played. Seeing as we're just Tackle-farming Human nooblets for a day or so, it's not hard as much as it is tedious. Totally agree with your post, just throwing out my two cents on the reasoning.

Will Night Hunter be getting a similar "Bounty" type of level-up method, similar to the Humans? That would be an awesome way to speed things up.

I assumed this was intended, to make the leveling process more difficult/take longer to match the higher level of the NH. I don't think it's so much a glitch as it is a way to extend playtime.

I 100% agree with you, though. It feels like the kind of artificial difficulty Destiny employed with their "Hard Mode" Raids, where the level was raised 1 above the players' max level so it would be difficult no matter how well they played. Seeing as we're just Tackle-farming Human nooblets for a day or so, it's not hard as much as it is tedious. Totally agree with your post, just throwing out my two cents on the reasoning.

Will Night Hunter be getting a similar "Bounty" type of level-up method, similar to the Humans? That would be an awesome way to speed things up.

Sorry jcks!  You're right, it was a little confusing.  When you will acquire your next skill point will clearly defined in the upcoming patch.

Bounties are pretty sweet!  Unfortunately, we weren't able to implement these on the NightHunters side with this patch.

Bounties are pretty sweet!  Unfortunately, we weren't able to implement these on the NightHunters side with this patch.

Aw, too bad. They do look like a great addition to the main game, no arguments there - definitely keep them in mind in the future for us Night Hunters! :D

Daily "Kill 2 Humans in one Horde Summon" or "Leapfrog to kill 3 or more Survivors" missions for a sweet bonus would make excellent additions to the mode.

Latest tweak for you Survivors out there:

-Reduced wall hit stun for Humans after a Groundpound

See!  It's not all Hunter buffs!  

The quicker recovery should give enough time for you to get some counter hits on a Hunter that tries to continually spam GPs in an enclosed area ;)

Aw, too bad. They do look like a great addition to the main game, no arguments there - definitely keep them in mind in the future for us Night Hunters! :D

Daily "Kill 2 Humans in one Horde Summon" or "Leapfrog to kill 3 or more Survivors" missions for a sweet bonus would make excellent additions to the mode.

Yes but so many people would boost for it lulz. Hopefully there is a leader board system or matchmaking display screen were we can join selected matches.

Is it will be possible to do damage with tendrils, like humans with the grappling hook ?

I don't ask a ranged attack that makes a lot of damage, I would just be it equivalent. The tendrils can hang onto any surface, so I find normal that they have the same treatment as the GH of survivors.

It would certainly be a nice way to be able to deal damage to Humans in the water and/or finish off a dodge-healing player with that last sliver remaining. It sounds like it would be difficult to implement, though, being a whole new attack and all.

To be honest, if I request it, it's because I find unfair that survivors can do damage with a grappling hook while this is not the purpose of the object.
If this is not the same added for the NH, I would be satisfied if the grappling hook doesn't do damage.

Ps: i'm sorry for the traduction, i use google trad'