Sign in to follow this  
Yasu Kanzawa

Help Us Improve Parkour Experience!

We are working on improving the parkour experience in our game and we'd really love to hear you out guys. 

Post anything concerning that matter. Whether it's something you'd like to see or something that you dislike.

Every idea or complaint is more than welcome!

We really want it to be unforgettable feeling so please, help us out so we can provide you with the best parkour experience out there.

I thought there is everything in the game for parkour in a first person game......there would not be anything to add into it....maybe just things like backflip, but this seems useless and senseless for a game like that

Its possible jet.....when i push the stick down he let himself fall down to the next ledge under him......to climb down is possible in the game, but not like in AC or something like that.....but it works good enough i think

Oh i got one, which would be great........

cran jumps with one jump at one wall, to jump higher to the other wall's ledge (or zic zac fro wall to wall till he reaches the ledge on the bottom of the wall).

cant show a video, but jacki chan do that very often in his movie's ^^

I have a dumb question: why does it feel, from Crane's point of view, that you can sometimes zip through entire blocks of a city, jumping, running, climbing, and grappling; while at other times it feels like it takes half an hour to scale a small obstacle? Maybe it's just me not understanding some mechanic of the game, and while I can relate to the early part of the campaign, where Crane has to acquire some experience with the basic moves, which is why the animations run slower with the skill trees still locked and all... I don't really understand why some actions of getting around a fence or scaling some rooftop once the character is fully unlocked take more time than other comparable or similar actions. Makes you gasp something like: wow, I could've run around the house three times by now. But don't know if I am barking up the wrong tree or have missed some posts on this. Maybe its related to odd stutters I experience only in this game on my rig (much more so playing Crane than playing as Hunter).

On the fringe of this topic, as it is not directly related to Parkour, but could nonetheless add another side to movement/Parkour in general, would be introduction of this kind of weapon:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolas

You'd need special animations and fresh kinds of geometry for movement to "get them going".

It is a relatively simple concept, with rich possibilities for in game physics and/or movement of characters, which we don't see too often in action games and which the funky physics in Dying Light world would seem to want to reward.

Especially if hunters ran around with this, could incapacitate survivors, grab their UV lamp, trample it into debris, and continue to go about their general zombie business without having to shriek every three seconds.  :P 

I know what you're talking about. Sometimes it is very fluid, but mis-time a jump and you're left scrambling over an object. As a NH, too. I've gotten my tindriling down pretty smooth, but then, BAM, face first into a lamppost and I get caught in an animation of my NH trying to scramble up to post. Same when I hit the edge of a building or other structure. It shows me down enough to lose quite a bit of stamina being UVed. It's frustrating when you're going in for a well-timed and coordinated attack.

You add an in-air flip with the couch key. It could be a front flip or side flip depending on the directional key at the time. Could do bridge diving competitions!

Errr... Can't edit on mobile edition! The second paragraph was meant for human movement.

Main things I would like to see added into the parkour of DL

Flips (roll in midair essentially).

Better climb down options. It is possible, but it is annoying the way it works right now

Hang off ledges with one hand. Making other hand available for pistols or throwing weapons.

Tic Tac from wall to wall if two walls are close enough.

Wall running (I don't want to use the mod)

Honestly I hate that this game (esp. Hunter mode) is centered around parkour. This is why Techland has bugs and stage exploits now, making every plane in the game mountable. Lets not forget that the Hunter's tendrils and the Human's grapple barely works with locked to a ledge anyways. When attempting to ascend onto a ledge, the game doesnt know whether to mount the player on the ledge or make the player fail and fall to the ground. In many cases the game simply fails and the player falls to the ground

Dont get me wrong, parkour sounds cool and shows realism, until it was actually implemented and now it's just annoying.

In every possible way parkour leaves the player (both Hunter and Human)  exploited for the sake of parkour. In a fast multiplayer action game parkour will naturally work against the player. As the Hunter and his low health against a growing arsenal of weapons attempts to run, hunter becomes the easiest target thanks to parkour:

cutest-baby-animals-gifs-climb1.gif

"trying to run away"

I hate parkour for a multiplayer game inasmuch as exploiting and slowing down one player for the sake of "capturing the moment". I hate that the Hunter's pounce and tackle animations are slowed down. This makes absolutely no sense for a multiplayer game, allowing opposing players to attack while the Hunter is slowed down. *simply added to the growing list of Techland's problems and decisions.

I'd like to see the world react more to your activities and I want there to be more 'accidents'.

Realistically, the flats in Dying Light would be a very dangerous place to practice parkour, albeit a very good place to do it at the same time. Parkour should offer a challenge in itself, because right now it doesn't take long for a novice player to master the movement mechanics. I can tell from personal experience, and I can tell from having brought a friend along who has never played anything quite like this. As an action-survival-horror game and, being that it's most certainly one of the first of it's kind - the game's survival elements should not just bank it's challenges solely on it's various enemy types and luck searching through trash bins trying to find metal parts. I hope to see more dynamism in the environment. I hope to see the weather affect your performance, rain in particular, to make things a bit more difficult when you're jumping across the sheet metal roofs, and making risky jumps to ledges that are slippery - with the possibility of falling from it.

I also hope to see more hazards. Like jumping down onto a roof and falling through it via RNG. Yes, similar is already in the game currently, but it is easily avoidable and I was thinking of something less obvious. Falling through roofs with a chance of falling into a group of biters - these sorts of things. Small things like this that would really bring more to the parkour, and bring an element of strategizing that isn't quite there now. 

My point - Make the parkour more of a challenge, more of a craft that needs to be honed, something that isn't completely routine. I don't think it should feel that way. I think it should feel like it has pros as well as cons. Something dangerous.  

Edited by Wolfman

I'd like to see things in the world affect your abilities. For example when you run through a puddle of oil, or even a water puddle with electrical wires in it, your feet become a bit slippery, I'd also love it if your speed and movement abilities were dependant on your health bar. Also, it would be neat if you were carrying a large, cumbersome weapon (Or an air drop, maybe?) and it impeded your movement, as if weighing you down. Just my thoughts.

this isn't to do with the parkour but I would still love to see that after a while some of the safe houses will be taken back by either some other survivors or by more zombie that would just add another thing to do and might be a bit fun. also this might be a bit to much but on the same line every so often or at random times both main safe houses or both tower in both region would get attacked by some of rais's men and you have to defend it and some of the other survivors in the tower would help. they could be invincible or they could die your choice techland. I would just like to see this to add more things to do in the game. either way I love your game.       

I have a great Idea! What about all of you amazing developers play Mirror's Edge When you have the time! I bet you will see many free running moves you have not used yet, or maybe add new cool animations based on those. Mirror's Edge had great free running, and if you would take some of that to your game, that would be amazing!

Edited by tvdaXD

Main things:

Wall running

Better Tic Tac

Maybe auto mantle over lower objects? Maybe parkour tricks happen when this happens.

Some type of combat/takedown hanging?

EDIT:

Parkour down button maybe? Works decently in Assassins Creed.

Play Mirrors Edge and the new one and get ideas?

Edited by Warablo

I'd like to see things in the world affect your abilities. For example when you run through a puddle of oil, or even a water puddle with electrical wires in it, your feet become a bit slippery, I'd also love it if your speed and movement abilities were dependant on your health bar. Also, it would be neat if you were carrying a large, cumbersome weapon (Or an air drop, maybe?) and it impeded your movement, as if weighing you down. Just my thoughts.

Excellent ideas. While this may not be a shared opinion, I agree with everything you posted. Crane's abilities are, simply put - not human. They are not grounded. He can get done fighting a group of biters ranging in the 20s, and zip along back to the Tower just before dark without breaking a sweat all while carrying a backpack full of rifles, pistols, shotguns and explosives. This is partly due to the amount of perks and items Crane has in his arsenal, but even without the agility, power and survivor skills - Crane can soak up bite after swing, after gunshot all while being strangled by a volatile and before his enemies know it he's already slipped away.

From a gameplay aspect - grounding Crane to be less like a superhero would promote more strategy, something I've wanted to see a lot more in this game.

What is 'Strategy'?

In my eyes, strategics in a game like Dying Light are and could be a lot of fun. 'Diddling around in the tower looking through your backpack and spending lots of time deciding what amount of medkits you should carry or which weapons you should take with you (assuming all items have weight) might seem like unnecessary tedium and over-complicates the experience as it stands right now - but this is from an exaggerated viewpoint. 'From the viewpoint of one hardcore player, myself - this would be a welcome addition. In the event you're playing singleplayer, the hardcore player finds that the gameplay becomes much more about mastering the terrain while they exercise it with caution and less about hacking and slashing. Knowing where safezones are, knowing when it's time to run, when it's time to defend themselves and (less of) when it's time to lash out. With a grounded crane and a less overcompensating arsenal - Dying Light undergoes a drastic change and favors the gameplay elements of survival rather than carnage - which is how I wish it would've been from the beginning. But that's just me. 

In the event of multiplayer - suddenly players find themselves taking on unofficial roles in their parties. Where one player decides to keep an abundance of medkits, where another player decides to try to keep everybody alive during the night holding onto as many flares and firecrackers they can. As one player declares his or herself the slayer of the group and while one person labels themselves as a scout both during the day and the night; Believe me, they can be very useful in Hard Mode. 

I don't have much hope in something like this being brought to the game because this would drastically change the Dying Light formula, which is - to carry an overcompensating arsenal of weapons, items and night defensive items while they fly through the Slums and Old Town. But I'd like it.